Quantcast
Recommend a movie! - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a movie!
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Ach. Both those films left me kind of cold. They were well shot, well acted and well directed. I guess I just didn't like the stories.
Gear Maniac

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
"New York Doll", you won't believe what became of the bass player of the NY Dolls!

"Strange Fruit", funny @ touching film about the reunion of a 70's band.

Check out the Ramones documentary too.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
I'm with you there.

For certain how a film will be received is up to the viewer, but when an artist puts a lot of thought and care into the art and addresses the right topics in the right way it shows.

I prefer his contemporaries Egoyan and Cronenberg to Lynch, although I only really enjoy Egoyan's films out of all of them.

What I don't like about Lynch is that he really isn't that hard to get, and the games he plays in his films are kind of boring and inconsequential compared to, say, literature that accomplishes the same thing.

Kubrick's movies are like games of chess- chess may or may not be a blatantly emotional experience but it is fascinating. Part of winning in chess is the art of intimidating or deceiving your opponent, so to say that there is no emotion within his chess player's logic is maybe because he's trying to play you for a potzer a little bit.

(I love chess. Mixing can be like chess.)
I am a chess lover as well. You on Redhot Pawn or Gameknot? Bring it!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
I am a chess lover as well. You on Redhot Pawn or Gameknot? Bring it!
Okay... didn't say that I am personally any good though! Can't make films like Kubrick either, oh well.
I've never played chess online- which would you recommend?

Back on topic, you Lynch/Cronenberg fans get into Egoyan at all? Ararat, Exotica... classics.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc ➑️
Yes, Cronenberg!!!
History of Violence and Eastern Promises are excellent films from his newer stuff.
I also like eXistenZ an Videodrome from his older works.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

yes yes yes

Videodrome is still one of the craziest things i have ever seen.

Shivers is a classic also, definitely gave the writer of Alien a thing or 2 to think about.

On the complete other side of exploitation i would recommend Lucio Fulci "The Beyond"

If you can track a copy down Jorge Grau, the guy who made the classic horror "the living dead at manchester morgue" a remarkable film called Coto de caza. Very hard to find & will require some digging but well worth a look, find the greek print entitled "code of hunt" and it dubbed into english.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Long live the new flesh!!!!
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'

This is a powerful and sad movie. Really brings you into the story, told on such a basic level, yet it really tells the whole story. Maybe the best Holocaust movie I have ever seen. thumbsup
Hyp
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The Salton Sea. Sets a new standard for modern drug movies ya kno
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just watched: The Time Machine (Rod Taylor) and Futureworld, the latter being one of Peter Fonda's best films post Easy Rider.
I also watched the Alien Vs Predator films.............they passed the time is all.
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A few just off the top of my head which I like...

Pi
Love and Death
Lost in Translation
Dan in Real Life
Wings of Desire
Round Midnight
V for Vendetta
The Fountain
The Departed
Annie Hall
Manhattan
The Tennant
Just about anything by Herzog
Just about anything by Truffaut
Delicatessen
Star Trek (the 2009 one)
A Man and A Woman
Batman: The Dark Knight
Love and Human Remains

And an indispensible website: The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) thumbsup

Regards,
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp ➑️
The Salton Sea. Sets a new standard for modern drug movies ya kno
Great flick. Although the thought of Val Kilmer as some soulful Jazz horn player is so hard to believe.

One more that is a great watch is: Hunt For Red October. A great man flick. I love the way they switch from Russian language to English for the Russian sub crew early in the film. Brilliant direction IMO for that scene.

Speaking of a man flick, Rudy always makes me smile. I think I have seen that 30 times. My ex-wife used to make fun of me because I would watch it every time it came on and always get choked-up in the end (bitch). A great film for me with a great message. The seemingly impossible is truly within reach when given all our effort and drive.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, "Let The Right One In" is fantastic! I also recommend "Eastern Promises" and "History of Violence"... Both incredible movies... thumbsupthumbsup

I have to check out that "Videodrome"...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think someone mentioned 'Sideways' earlier. Saw it and liked it. thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Liked Sideways a lot.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just saw the new Day The Earth Stood Still. I loved the old movie. My kids, who cant stand anything in black and white, just on principle, make fun of me because I made them watch it. While watching the new one I couldn't understand what the terrible fuss was about how horrible it was, . . . until the end. I still don't know why they had to screw it up so much.

For one thing Keanu Reeves can't act his way out of a paper bag. He does that one thing -- the blank, emotionless, stare well. Other than that his dufus Bill and Ted/Parenthood character he did so well has been outgrown.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
Liked Sideways a lot.
Yes, it is sad that such cads (Tiger, cough cough) really exist.
Old 13th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Okuribito (Departures) Japanese film, best movie I saw whole of last year nothing comes close, this one is really special I think us as musicians/engineers can somewhat relate to what the main character has gone through.

The Piano Teacher, better viewed alone and not with a significant other could end up ruining relationships.
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I loved the Boy In The Striped Pajamas! Such a great movie. I have been on a holocaust kick for about 2 weeks now and would recommend the documentary "Steal a Pencil for Me", about a couple that fall in love during their time in a few different concentration camps. Amazing, sad, warm, exciting.
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Color of Paradise (by Majid Majidi)
Great Iranian movie.
Old 17th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where does the first 12 minutes of The Exoricst (the Iraq location) tie in with the Georgetown, Washington part of the movie? It's on TV here just now and if there's a subtle hint, I missed it
Old 17th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Africa Addio
Old 18th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Little Children.

Wow, so funny, and tragic, and creepy, and it all just works. Really great movie. At times I never laughed so hard. Very much like Desperate Housewives for thinking people.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just saw "The Curious Case if Benjamin Button." I don't care what anybody says I liked it.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Europa Trilogy by Von Trier
The Seventh Seal by Bergman
ANYTHING by Kubrick
La Strada by Fellini
Old 19th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just saw "Capote." Really liked it. Hoffman deserved the Oscar for that one.
Old 24th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I highly recommend the "The Cove" just released this year, it is probably the most shocking and well done documentaries I've seen in years, it takes a bit of guts to watch the things that you will see in this film will make you sick.
Old 29th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Stunt rock!!!!!!
Old 12th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Amadeus. Five stars +

I saw this when it came out (on Beta Hi-Fi tape) in 1984 and couldn't believe how great the music sounded. But I kind of missed the story. I saw this again last night and totally loved it. The scene with Amadeus sitting there dreaming up the music and Salleri writing out the score is fabulous. thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yes! Great movie! I saw it again last year when I was teaching a music appreciation class.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Amadeus was great, wasn't it. Whatever happened to Tom Hulce?
I can recommend Monsoon Wedding by Mira Nair, wonderful contemporary Indian movie (not Bollywood heh).
Also, Black Cat White Cat, not just for the amazing Balkan musicians. Unique, hilarious, incredible, just do it!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…