🎧 10 years
Just finished: State of Play.
I liked it allot. Recomended.
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff ➡️
+++1 Mulholand Drive... What an incredible film. I was really struck by it the first time I watched it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➡️
I have that DVD at home now waiting for me to watch it. heh
Ok, so I watched Mulholland Dr. Sorry but I didn't really get it, and didn't care for this movie at all. It seemed like they wanted a movie with some hot lesbian scenes and tried to write a movie around that, with little sense being made. The lesbian scenes were hot though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ok, so I watched Mulholland Dr. Sorry but I didn't really get it, and didn't care for this movie at all. It seemed like they wanted a movie with some hot lesbian scenes and tried to write a movie around that, with little sense being made. The lesbian scenes were hot though.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I thought it was kind of dumb and am amazed at the bunch of folk who sing it's praises. I can count on a couple of fingers the films I've liked of Lynches anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I once got a text from a friend saying David Lynch had shown up at a party she was at. I sent one back saying, 'if you speak to him ask him what the hell Mullholland Drive was all about.' About five minutes later she texted back 'he says "how Hollywood is an unfaithful bitch of a lover with a short-term memory."'
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
I totally hear where you are coming from. I feel the same way about most Jazz music, it's all just a bunch of fancy chords with no emotion.
Well with much jazz, which is very emotional, it takes a lot of dedication and education of the listener to understand it. Maybe it's the same with Kubrick. But in this case I don't think I'm an uneducation film watcher nor am I unexposed and uneducated re Kubrick. I mean maybe I am.

But if a person doesn't get Kubrick , or jazz for that matter, I can accept it. Not all art is for everybody, or even most people.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
Well with much jazz, which is very emotional, it takes a lot of dedication and education of the listener to understand it. Maybe it's the same with Kubrick. But in this case I don't think I'm an uneducation film watcher nor am I unexposed and uneducated re Kubrick. I mean maybe I am.

But if a person doesn't get Kubrick , or jazz for that matter, I can accept it. Not all art is for everybody, or even most people.
I read a very interesting book on Woody Allen where he talks about how every director has their own natural rhythm. I think that's pretty true, most Woody Allen films are about 1 hr 45, most Kubrick films are 2 1/2 hours or more, Scorcese's tend to be quite long. So maybe whether you like a director is less about intellect than how long you can sit in a theatre before your arse starts to ache.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo ➡️
I read a very interesting book on Woody Allen where he talks about how every director has their own natural rhythm. I think that's pretty true, most Woody Allen films are about 1 hr 45, most Kubrick films are 2 1/2 hours or more, Scorcese's tend to be quite long. So maybe whether you like a director is less about intellect than how long you can sit in a theatre before your arse starts to ache.
Could be. But for me I love a balance in all things. If it's all intellect in art, I'm rarely fully fed. If it's all emotion I'm also equally not fully fed. If those two as well as a sense of aesthetic are relatively balanced, that for me, is a complete meal.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just to finish my thought - Kubrick is emotionless, to me. I don't enjoy his movies nor do I find them enlightening. I don't find them to have a sense of reality, meaning I can't relate to most of his characters, mostly because I can't feel their humanity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I thought it was kind of dumb and am amazed at the bunch of folk who sing it's praises.
Sycophants and art film snobs. I was a major Lynch fan going into see that film and I had an awfull time.

The sound was bad and seemed to be in stereo. I don't know if any of you saw Lost Highway in the theater, but the sound was one of the best I've heard as far as creative use of surround panning and effects.

Mulholland Dr was intended to be a TV show. It was canned early in production because network executives saw it's hyper-limited appeal. The filmed footage was then compiled into the film we saw. This may explain why there are allot of plotlines we see starting, going nowhere and then ending up in a jumbled mess.

Lynch has stated his films are like paintings. They are left for the viewer to draw conclusions as to meaning, but with Mulholland Dr I can recognize sh!t smeared on canvas.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc ➡️

Lynch has stated his films are like paintings. They are left for the viewer to draw conclusions as to meaning, but with Mulholland Dr I can recognize sh!t smeared on canvas.

That just sounds like a cop out on his part. "Yes the film makes no sense, but it's art, you are free to make of it what you want." tutt
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, but to be fair, that's what all art is anyway, at least it is to me. It always what the viewer makes it out to be and it's importance is only fueled by how the viewer values it. But a little more effort and less purposeful obscurity is appreciated.

A lot of artists like to shroud their work in meaningful mystery. Meaningless mystery is stupid, unless it's humor, because it just causes confusion. And it throws attention to it's author as being deep or profound when he's anything but.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like some of Lynch's work, Elephant Man is awesome, most folk agree. The key, for me at least, with his works after that are that he starts with a very basic premise and smears it in surrealism. The former, if left alone, would just be cliche, adding the surreal makes him a genius in some quarters. As Henry says, it's a subjective thing, make of art what you will.
Tippett used to write cliched melodies in his works, then bury them in atonality. Dunno if that ever happened in dance or other art but I suspect that it has.....

Anyway, onto movie recommends. I've watched a few over the weekend: The Devil Rides Out, Forbidden Planet (Entirely electronic score), Quatermass and the Pit, The Day The Earth Stood Still (Original), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Remake with Donald Sutherland), When Worlds Collide. I've another 2 to watch: This Island Earth, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original version). All great sci-fi movies
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I love Lynch's work. I though Mulholland Drive was awesome and made sense to me. I can explain it for you if you like? heh

Those are nothing compared to his last work though. Check out Inland Empire.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I understand what you are saying but you should never have to "learn" to understand emotion. I feel the same way about progrock too. Emotion is base and primal.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Someone explained it to me before once. Maybe it was you. For me to want a movie to be explained it has to be interesting enough to endure the explanation. Sure, why not?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Someone explained it to me before once. Maybe it was you. For me to want a movie to be explained it has to be interesting enough to endure the explanation. Sure, why not?
Ironic. Kind of like what I just said about jazz. heh

My education is in fine arts so I relate to visual things a lot just like you were trained in music and thus can communicate on a higher level etc. Actually my own music is more visual as well, at least how I approach it.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
I understand what you are saying but you should never have to "learn" to understand emotion. I feel the same way about progrock too. Emotion is base and primal.
I understand but I absolutely and respectfully disagree. Some emotion is not at all base and primal. Only base and primal emotions are. Some art, some books, some situations are quite subtle. Some emotions are exhilarating, or quite conservative, urbane or boring. Some are difficult to perceive.

I recall living in England long ago. It took me some time to understand their sense of humor. It was a learned thing. Jackson Pollack, Mondrian, Rothko, Picasso, Beethoven, Mozart, James Brown, Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Jarrett, are all artists who may just take a minute to get on an emotional level, yet I think they are all quite emotional and are very good at portraying the emotions they are expressing.

Not all emotion is angst, pain, fear, hatred, hostility, passive aggressive, sadness, . . . there are many gradations of emotion as they traverse from dead and dying to cheerfulness and exhilaration.

It's not learning to understand emotion. That's not what I'm talking about. It's interpreting the emotion one observes in a work of art. That's what I'm talking about. Some sometimes takes work. Not so in pop music and pop art. They excel by being readily and instantaneously digestible en masse.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Recommandations :
-Kubrick Movies :p
-Playtime (Tati)
-Being There
-The Party
-A Waking Life
-Koyaanisqatsi
-Powaqqatsi
-Baraka
-Our Daily Bread (notre pain quotidien)
-The Big Lebowski
-Celebrity
-Lost In Translation
-Bitter Moon
-Der Blechtrommel
-Future Is not what it used to be (Erkki Kurenniemi)
-If you want action-horror & Hot Babe (Resident Evil 1/2 :-)
-Dawn of the dead (70's)
-Liquid Sky
-Don't look Now
-Videodrome
-Twin Peaks
-The Elephant Man
-Eraserhead
-The Straight Story
-Spirited Away
-Ran
-Seven Samurai
-Yojimbo
-Throne Of Blood
-a Japanese movie of a Radio Play & a Foley Artist but I can't remember the titel :p
-Metropolis
-Vertigo
-American Splendor
-The Nightmare Before Christmas
-C'est arrivé près de chez vous
-Podium
-A good ol' Bruce Lee Flick.
-Heavy Metal
-La Cité des enfants perdus
-Brazil
-Gummo
-Kids
-The Holy Mountain
-La Planète Sauvage
-Bird
-Blade Runner
-Tron
-THX
-They Live
-Assault on Precinct 13
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FAUST!!!
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Did somebody recommend 'Blue Velvet' to me? This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Besides the weak lines, bad acting, and the creepy nature of this film, there were so many holes in the story you could fly a space shuttle through it.

I really do not like this David Lynch guy.
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Did somebody recommend 'Blue Velvet' to me? This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Besides the weak lines, bad acting, and the creepy nature of this film, there were so many holes in the story you could fly a space shuttle through it.

I really do not like this David Lynch guy.
LOL. I'm with you. The first season or two of Twin Peaks was fun, by TV standards of the day. Then it just started getting bizarre for bizarre's sake.

like Blue Velvet when it came out. But I'd bet it wouldn't hold up at all. That was early 80s, right?

I also hated Dune. He really mangled that story.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
American History X
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOL. I'm with you. The first season or two of Twin Peaks was fun, by TV standards of the day. Then it just started getting bizarre for bizarre's sake.

like Blue Velvet when it came out. But I'd bet it wouldn't hold up at all. That was early 80s, right?

I also hated Dune. He really mangled that story.
I like my movies weird or experimental, or over the top stunning visual but not in the loud and car crashy cgi way, don't have to be realistic movies to me, that's why it's film, imagination, I'm living real life don't need to get that experience when trying to escape.
I also like movies that make you go huh? or are unpredictable because let's face it most story telling is way to obvious.

Lynch yes odd Fella, but in overal he has made some movies that are quite an experience, and Twin Peaks is an excellent series, still today, the vibe it creates and the color, story, music all brings the room into a different state as if the alternate reality of Twin Peaks oozes out of your tv set. Although I think I have to give Badalamenti credit for this as the music is enough to set off that vibe :p
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pirate Radio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In addition to some great ones already mentioned:

Badlands
Last Boy Scout
True Romance
Network
Dog Day Afternoon
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Shrink

Kevin Spacey delivers once again. Absolutely loved this movie!!
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cardan ➡️
Just one

12 Monkeys

done!
I was a huge Terry Gilliam fan... until this movie. Very poor I thought. Rambling, overly self conscious, stylistically confused... all the things he had flirted with dangerously in previous movies but gotten away with. With this one he just went headlong over the precipice. And the casting? Uuggh. Don't think he's had his mojo back since.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I saw the new Star Trek movie on Sunday.
I was very impressed and had a great time watching it. I am not a Star Trek fan either. I know quite a few non-Trek fans that feel the same.
I am excited to see more from this series.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That just sounds like a cop out on his part. "Yes the film makes no sense, but it's art, you are free to make of it what you want." tutt
I'm with you there.

For certain how a film will be received is up to the viewer, but when an artist puts a lot of thought and care into the art and addresses the right topics in the right way it shows.

I prefer his contemporaries Egoyan and Cronenberg to Lynch, although I only really enjoy Egoyan's films out of all of them.

What I don't like about Lynch is that he really isn't that hard to get, and the games he plays in his films are kind of boring and inconsequential compared to, say, literature that accomplishes the same thing.

Kubrick's movies are like games of chess- chess may or may not be a blatantly emotional experience but it is fascinating. Part of winning in chess is the art of intimidating or deceiving your opponent, so to say that there is no emotion within his chess player's logic is maybe because he's trying to play you for a potzer a little bit.

(I love chess. Mixing can be like chess.)
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, Cronenberg!!!
History of Violence and Eastern Promises are excellent films from his newer stuff.
I also like eXistenZ an Videodrome from his older works.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…