Quantcast
Recommend a movie! - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a movie!
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I made of list of my "essentials" on another forum recently, so I might as well post it here too.

2001: A Space Odyssey
4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile
A Beautiful Mind
American Beauty
American History X
Bin-jip
Chocolate
Cidade de Deus
Dr. Strangelove
Pan's Labyrinth
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fargo
Good Will Hunting
Hotel Rwanda
Ima, ai ni yukimasu
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
L.A. Confidential
Let the Right One In
Léon
Amélie
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Lost in Translation
Memento
Monster
Oldboy
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Paris, je t'aime
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
Seven Samurai
Snatch.
Taxi Driver
The Big Lebowski
The Pianist
The Silence of the Lambs
The Usual Suspects
Welcome to Dongmakgol

Also, 1st post.
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's this summer's blockbuster but "Half Blood Prince" is kind of interesting. The colorization & cinemotography are interesting. A lot of scenes are set up as "set pieces" that are like paintings.
Old 6th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I just watched "I love you, man" with Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. Not a particularly great movie, but fun to watch on a lazy day. ("Slappin da bass man" :D)

Other than that I'd recommend the following, sorted by Fun, Action and Drama (most of my Favorites have been named already, so I'll ad some new ones):

Pineapple Express
Burn After Reading
In Bruges
Blade Trinity
Heat
Boondock Saints
The Machinist
Gran Torino
Eastern Promises
The Pianist
Old 22nd September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just saw 'In the Name of the Father'.

That is a pretty powerful film. And very well acted. Not a nice story, that's for sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another for Groundhog Day, I absolutely love that film!

A recent film that I watched on DVD and enjoyed was the stop motion animation feature called Coroline. If you get a chance watch in on a hi-def screen with really nice headphones or a nice hi-fi set up. The sound and music are great!

P.S. I enjoyed, "I Love You Man!" as well. Paul Rudd is cool.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINOR ➡️
I just watched "I love you, man" with Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. Not a particularly great movie, but fun to watch on a lazy day. ("Slappin da bass man" :D)
HAHAHA, "Slappin da baaaaase man!" heh I LOVE that movie and Paul Rudd, highly recommended!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
NOt your every day fair, but I just watched Bergman's "The Seventh Seal"

Knight (Antonius Block) - "So you will reveal your secrets?"

Death - "I have no secrets."

Antonius - "So you know nothing?"

Death - "I am unknowing."

Whew. Great movie.
Old 23rd September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
NOt your every day fair, but I just watched Bergman's "The Seventh Seal"

Knight (Antonius Block) - "So you will reveal your secrets?"

Death - "I have no secrets."

Antonius - "So you know nothing?"

Death - "I am unknowing."

Whew. Great movie.

This has been on my list for a while. I'm really looking forward to it but I've seen a bunch of other Bergman movies recently. Last one was 'Wild Strawberries'. Wonderful movie. Highly recommended.

Oh and another vote for Groundhog Day! It's the closest thing to a modern (but old-style) classic that's come out of the States in the last 20 years. And of course it got no Oscar love.
Old 23rd September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Damn, I've seen Groundhog Day like half a dozen times.

I'll watch it again.
Old 25th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Talking

Let the right one in is the best recent film I've seen.

And of course there will be a Hollywood remake. I certainly hope they don't ruin it.

In Wikipedia

Edit: just noticed Scottyyy named it in his list.
Old 11th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Finally just saw 'The Big Lebowski'. Crazy, wacky, funny movie. I liked it. thumbsup
Old 16th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
'Once'! What a brilliant movie. heh
Old 24th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Dirty Pretty Things

I love good thrillers that keep it real. Especially hard to pull off, but exceptional when done right. Bonus points for having characters that you actually care about. Highly recommended.
Old 24th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1 for The Big Lebowski. Which other film character used to be a roadie for Metallica? Basically everything the Coen Bros have ever done, drama and comedy, is a class above.
Now, one from left field... Black Cat, White Cat by Emir Kusturica, Serbian I think. Awesome gypsy music and characters, crazy spirit, just way too much fun. Truuuuust me.
Old 4th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Kite Runner

Five stars! What a great movie, and a must see for anyone wishing to gain a little more insight into what has gone on in Afghanistan. Great acting, great story, I can't say enough about this film.
Old 5th November 2009 | Show parent
wreckingstuff
+++1 Mulholand Drive... What an incredible film. I was really struck by it the first time I watched it.

The Shining ... The original, not the made for TV remake. I think the 'here's Johnny' bit ruins it a bit, but the spooky build up is very powerful. Most other Stanley Kubrik films are pretty good too.

American Psycho... Dark and funny all at once.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff ➡️

The Shining ... The original, not the made for TV remake. I think the 'here's Johnny' bit ruins it a bit, but the spooky build up is very powerful. Most other Stanley Kubrik films are pretty good too.
a bit of an understatement...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Slaaappin daaa baaasss ... hahhaha

what about:
"As It Is in Heaven (International: English title)"
"As in Heaven (USA)"

It's a scandinavian movie ... very nice
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+++1 Mulholand Drive... What an incredible film. I was really struck by it the first time I watched it.
I have that DVD at home now waiting for me to watch it. heh

Quote:
Most other Stanley Kubrik films are pretty good too.

I watched 'Eyes Wide Shut' the other day. I dunno, it was pretty good, and disturbing, but much of it I found a bit far fetched. But that is my taste, I love movies that keep it real.

Quote:
American Psycho... Dark and funny all at once
In my queue, I just bumped it up to next.
wreckingstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➡️

I watched 'Eyes Wide Shut' the other day. I dunno, it was pretty good, and disturbing, but much of it I found a bit far fetched. But that is my taste, I love movies that keep it real.

Yeah that's why I said 'most' Kubrik films... Even though the plot of Eyes wide shut is a bit silly, it is beautifully shot imo.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah that's why I said 'most' Kubrik films... Even though the plot of Eyes wide shut is a bit silly, it is beautifully shot imo.

Sure, beautiful shots of lots of t&a. For those that like that sort of stuff.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't know. Most Kubrick films leaving me wanting, . . . a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really? I find from the major pictures he made, the Strangelove/Lolita/2001(which looks amazing certainly on the big screen) & Clockwork Orange 4 great movie experiences I like the other ones as well but those 4 I revisit the most.
All his pictures are well written either in Dialogue or in Picture, most of his stills are excellent photographs, and plenty between the lines for yourself to question, leaving wanting... but yeah I'm a fan. heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Kubrick- I get into arguments over this guy a lot. One of my best friends teaches a course in film and loves him, of course. We'll never agree on this one!

I find him dry and emotionless, even when he's atempting emotion. I find almost none of his characters believable, nor do I find much reason to feel sympathy for them.

He's made the odd movie I liked, even though they all fall prey to the same criticisms I have. And none of his women characters, when he has them, are real, at all. Strangelove and 2001 worked. I've seen 2001 about 12 times. Even though shining had it's suspense, he completely screwed up the book and Shelley Duvall was just totally annoying.

Kubrick is a filmmaker with no heart, to me. I can't feel him. All head. Visually stimulating. I feel claustrophobic and isolated. I think this is what he's trying to say. But that sentiment doesn't reflect my life, I so I see little relevance or sympathy for his vision.
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Brain Candy, by Kid in the hall. Oldie, but goodie!
Old 9th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
Kubrick- I get into arguments over this guy a lot. One of my best friends teaches a course in film and loves him, of course. We'll never agree on this one!

I find him dry and emotionless, even when he's atempting emotion. I find almost none of his characters believable, nor do I find much reason to feel sympathy for them.

He's made the odd movie I liked, even though they all fall prey to the same criticisms I have. And none of his women characters, when he has them, are real, at all. Strangelove and 2001 worked. I've seen 2001 about 12 times. Even though shining had it's suspense, he completely screwed up the book and Shelley Duvall was just totally annoying.

Kubrick is a filmmaker with no heart, to me. I can't feel him. All head. Visually stimulating. I feel claustrophobic and isolated. I think this is what he's trying to say. But that sentiment doesn't reflect my life, I so I see little relevance or sympathy for his vision.
I totally hear where you are coming from. I feel the same way about most Jazz music, it's all just a bunch of fancy chords with no emotion.
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
I totally hear where you are coming from. I feel the same way about most Jazz music, it's all just a bunch of fancy chords with no emotion.
I've yet to see a Kubrick film that I didn't think would be improved by cutting at least half an hour. Not always a popular viewpoint, but then I also have trouble with David Lynch, the Coen Brothers and Good Will Hunting.
For people who like Groundhog Day, if you can find it, I'd seriously recommend a short film called 12.01 that uses a similar premise as Groundhog Day, but in my view was better. I think it was made into a full length film, but I haven't seen it. Also has anyone mentioned the Lives Of Others? Probably my favourite film of recent times.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo ➡️
I've yet to see a Kubrick film that I didn't think would be improved by cutting at least half an hour. Not always a popular viewpoint, but then I also have trouble with David Lynch, the Coen Brothers and Good Will Hunting.
For people who like Groundhog Day, if you can find it, I'd seriously recommend a short film called 12.01 that uses a similar premise as Groundhog Day, but in my view was better. I think it was made into a full length film, but I haven't seen it. Also has anyone mentioned the Lives Of Others? Probably my favourite film of recent times.
Lives of Others was movie about East Germany right? I thought it was okay. The actor that played the writer was a bit wooden though. The actor who played the spy dude was brilliant though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just one

12 Monkeys

done!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
Lives of Others was movie about East Germany right? I thought it was okay. The actor that played the writer was a bit wooden though. The actor who played the spy dude was brilliant though.
Yes, that's the one. I know what you mean about the wooden thing, but I took that as a kind of deliberate stiffness on account of the fact no one was free to be themselves. The guy who played the spy died soon after, sadly.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…