Quantcast
Recommend a movie! - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a movie!
Old 20th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I clicked on the "Threads" link and ended up watching it last night. No happy ending there. Especially disturbing now, in light of what's going on through out the Middle East.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, I'll look up Threads. Yes, Lithgow was in TDA but he didn't play a major role so you wouldn't remember him unless you're a fan. His character was very much a minor one. Guttenberg was more of a leading man so to speak.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigos ➑️
saddest music in the world is a great movie.

The Wedding is a nice polish film.
Do you mean "Wesele" by Wajda from the 70's?

If so, I am curious if you think anybody outside of Polish culture would really appreciate and/or understand what's going on there? I mean, people in Poland have hard time reading all the symbolism...
having said that: it IS a classic, and certainly a beautiful movie.

The Saddest Music in the World is also amazing and hilarious at the same time. Guy Maddin in general is pretty amazing. Have you seen My Winnipeg (I think his latest one)?

And I absolutely LOVE this short "Heart Of The World" he made! Just awesome:

p.
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Plague Dogs

This movie has had a profound effect on my life and it redefines many things we take for granted like the relationship between animals and humans, survival, our primitive nature, and what 'humanity' means. Hope you find something in it:

Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke ➑️
The Plague Dogs

This movie has had a profound effect on my life and it redefines many things we take for granted like the relationship between animals and humans, survival, our primitive nature, and what 'humanity' means. Hope you find something in it:

Bizarre little movie. thumbsup
Old 3rd March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Some of my favorites are:
Rocky, Taxi Driver, Pan's Labyrinth, Cinema Paradiso, No Man's Land...

The other night, my wife and I saw Exit Through the Gift Shop. Highly recommended!
Old 3rd March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've gone a bit retro just lately: watched a ton of film noir movies from the 40s and 50s, then a generous helping of Hitchcock movies.

I was surprised to find I could tolerate Alan Ladd movies too, a troubled fella he was in real life. Tried to kill himself a few times and finally succeeded.
Old 4th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gosford Park - excellent social commentary on how the 'have's' view the 'have nots' - and a murder mystery in the plot to boot! I just wish the British would speak English!

Old 6th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Lives of Others

Very powerful and intriguing German film set in the mid 80's in East Germany. Most excellent!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Oh yeah. I saw that one. Good.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
Oh yeah. I saw that one. Good.
I'll add that the acting was top notch. You could really feel their pain.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Watched an excellent documentary last night: Bastards of the Party. It's about the genesis, history, and rise of gang culture in south central L.A. It also studies the socioeconomic conditions that led to the ascension of violence in this area.

BASTARDS OF THE PARTY
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I saw Elaine May's A New Leaf again last night. Walter Matthau in an early 70s comedy. She apparently originally delivered it as a 3 hour movie. It was then against her wishes, cut to the standard whatever - 1:30. So they cut half of it out and completely altered the intent of the film. It was supposed to be a very dark comedy. The way they cut it made it seem like a quirky love story. Even though it misses the writer's and directors vision, I still loved it. Very funny, in that early 70's, NY kind of way.

Thus began her ambivalent, hateful relationship with Hollywood, culminating in the disastrous "comeback" film she wrote and directed - Ishtar.
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just saw 'Before Sunset', some time after seeing 'Before Sunrise' , the first part, which I thought was a great movie.

I should have seen it sooner, I loved this movie even better than the first! Most excellent. thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
From HBO, there is "The Sunset Limited", a 2-character play by Cormac McCarthy starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson.

Powerful material, with just the two of them in an apartment tackling the "big stuff" (god, life); it is spellbinding.

Jones directed as well.

CC.
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Last night I finally watched β€œPerformance”, from 1970, starring Mick Jagger and James Fox. I knew of the movie for decades, but didn’t really know any details about it, and obviously was in no hurry to get to the film for the sake of reference. But it far surpassed my minimal expectations and I definitely recommend it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Stayed up late the other night watching 'The Corner' :

The Corner (TV mini-series 2000) - IMDb

This was the inspiration for HBO's the Wire. It's actually based on a true story, and takes place in the inner city of Baltimore, MD.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Box of moonlight"
Old 21st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thought this was an interesting list:

Certifed Weird (The List) – 366 Weird Movies

If you're in the mood for an 'odd' movie, there's some gems in there.
Old 21st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke ➑️
thought this was an interesting list:

Certifed Weird (The List) – 366 Weird Movies

If you're in the mood for an 'odd' movie, there's some gems in there.
Interesting list. I found 'Eyes Without a Face' on Netflix instant and watched it last night. An old French horror movie from my birth year. Actually quite creepy and convincing. Especially the face removal.
Old 22nd March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wrote a long list, and freaking lost it by hitting backspace without the focus on the edit box. I hate when that happens. So, I'll put some of them back. I'm sure some of these have been mentioned, but I'm not about to read the whole thread to find out. It won't hurt for the good ones to get another vote.

1. Eat Drink Man Woman - An Ang Lee masterpiece. I think it's one of the most perfect movies ever. It's set in Taiwan and is mostly about the relationship of Chinese fathers and daughters, but it's about life in general and it's very rich, funny, and emotional all at the same time, which is the best kind of movie.

2. Deep Impact - I just rewatched this one and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. That movie just destroys me. It's a crime against humanity that it probably lost out to Armageddon in popularity.

3. Shanghai Triad - One of the great Chinese period movies, a great gangster movie, and just so beautifully done it's mesmerizing. Of course Farewell, My Concubine would be in this same category as well.

4. Xiu Xiu - The Sent Down Girl - Made believe it or not by the super model Joan Chen, who wrote and directed it I think. It's a story of Shakespearean type tragedy. They just don't make many films like that these days.

5. The Sweet Hereafter - One of the best films ever made, period. It won't be for everyone I'm sure, but it's just amazing. Sarah Polly is particularly good in this one. It's the story of a small town after a horrible school bus accident kills many of the town's children. There's a lot of subtle humor in it, but it's a powerful story.

6. Before Sunrise/Before Sunset - I think these might have been mentioned. Great movies, should be watched back to back, and particularly good because the two movies were made 9 years apart and the same actors are in them, actually 9 years older. Both are wonderful.

7. Henry Poole was Here - Both I and Rush Limbaugh think this is a wonderful movie. There are VERY few things that he and I agree on, so you can imagine it must be very good indeed. It has a very spiritual overtone to it, which almost gets religious (which is not my bag, baby), but it's so powerful.

8. Once - I'm sure that this has been mentioned, but killer movie for musicians. Very inspirational.

9. The Comittments - The main character in Once was also in this one, which was shot probably a decade earlier. It's a great comedy about a young Irish soul band's short but brilliant career.

10. Death to Smoochy - A VERY dark but hilarious (to me) comedy about the children's variety show business. It's worth it just for Robin William's lines.

11. Shop Girl - A chick flick of course, but I love a good chick flick myself, whether it endangers my manly man license or not. Claire Danes is just LOVELY in this film. Also with Steve Martin and based on his novella.

12. The Family Stone - Brutally emotional but beautiful and funny dramedy about a family getting together for Christmas on their mother's last year. I love movies that mix humor and pathos seamlessly.

13. Along Came Polly - I never get tired of watching this comedy. I'm actually quite a fan of Ben Stiller's work, though a lot of people seem not to like him. As many times as I've seen this one, I still laugh out loud.

14. Permanent Midnight - Also with Ben Stiller, though a much darker comedy, based on the story of a drugged out TV comedy writer in LA. It's another one that manages to be funny and heavy at the same time.

15. Your Friends and Neighbors - Also with Ben Stiller. This is a very interesting one. If you REALLY want to squirm in your seat, watch this with a first date. This is one of the most brutal and brutally funny inspections of male/female relationships ever.

16. The Royal Tannenbaums - Also with Ben Stiller, so I'm on a roll here. I never get tired of watching this movie. It just has this great atmosphere to it, like comedy quaaludes. I love it. And some of the moments are great, such as when Margot gets off the bus to meet Ritche and the soundtrack is Niko singing Jackson Brown's "These Days" or Ritchie's attempted suicide scene with Needle in the Hay playing.

17. Hype!- Really nice documentary about the grunge era, with lots of performances of great grunge bands that didn't become famous and lots of interviews.

18. The Spanish Prisoner - A very intelligent and quirky whodunnit that is just a complete mind job from beginning to end. I saw some folks who really liked the "Girl Who..." movies. I would think that they would really like this as well. It's written by David Mamet and has very dense and often overlapping dialog and a very strange vibe that keeps you unsettled the whole time.

19. Dig! - A great and very entertaining documentary about two bands, The Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre. It is very interesting and really shows both sides of the business, how record companies frustrate artists and how artists frustrate record companies.

20. Election - A completely silly and so funny comedy with Matthew Brodrick and Reese Witherspoon. Also a good demonstration of how Mr. Happy can destroy your life if you aren't careful.

21. Juno - Absolutely love it, no more need be said.

Anyhoo, lots more but those are some that come immediately to mind.

P.S. Oh I just saw someone mentioned The Russian Ark, definitely an interesting one worth a watch. An entire movie shot in one single take (to hard drive of course which is why it's possible) with one camera, and it's not just a couple talking heads, it's actually quite epic. It's a massive undertaking.
Old 22nd March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
6. Before Sunrise/Before Sunset - I think these might have been mentioned. Great movies, should be watched back to back, and particularly good because the two movies were made 9 years apart and the same actors are in them, actually 9 years older. Both are wonderful.

8. Once - I'm sure that this has been mentioned, but kill movie for musicians. Very inspirational.
I loved 'Before Sunrise'. And I just saw 'Before Sunset' and loved it even more! Great movies.

'Once' is also on my list of 5 star movies, excellent!
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Anyone seen 'Grizzly Man'? Wow, real life movie, intense! Pure insanity.

The best part is the footage he shot, stunning!
Old 9th April 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Isn't this the Werner Herzog movie where the guy gets killed, eaten by the grizzly? I'd never be able to watch that. No desire.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Isn't this the Werner Herzog movie where the guy gets killed, eaten by the grizzly? I'd never be able to watch that. No desire.
This movie is definitely worth watching.

There is no footage of him being eaten. There is audio of the attack but they don't play it in the movie.

The movie is about his life more than his death, and video footage of him interacting with the animals is quite amazing, the landscape stunning. The man was insane though, no question about it.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
But they have audio of him being killed in the movie? There is nothing about the death in the movie other than saying that it happened? Because there was film or audio of it.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
'Once' is also on my list of 5 star movies, excellent!
There are many spine tingling moments for a musician in this film, but when they get into the studio and do that first song, I'm ready to put on the spandex and grab the hair spray and hit the road.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
And some more since I'm feeling to mellow to face work right now...

22. Note by Note : The Making of Steinway L1037 - A great documentary about the Steinway factory and the making of pianos, which follows the year long process of constructing one of their 9ft concert grands.

23. The Big Lebowski - Of course. I assume someone has mentioned it already, but just to second that emotion. One of the funniest, most quotable movies of all time. The Dude abides, man.

24. Garden State/The Last Kiss - I put these two together since they are almost a continuation. The Last Kiss is kind of Garden State ten years later with the main character grown, and with some of the same actors and even some of the same sound track artists (like Imogen Heap.) I love Garden State tremendously, and the other one is quite nice as well.

25. Gattaca - Can't believe I left this one off my first list above. A beautifully done story of a future in which one's genetic read out is the ultimate measure of societal status. It's very intelligent and very well acted all around.

26. The Holiday - Another big chick flick, but a good one. With a nice and impressive cast and plenty of humor and pathos, well mixed.

27. Talladega Nights - Having grown up in the south east, I just love this hilarious spoof of the NASCAR world. It's one of those that I guess you have to be in the mood for silliness to really get the full benefit of.

28. Gross Pointe Blank - Great dark comedy about a guy coming back to his 10 year high school reunion, to do a job.

29. Snatch - Completely over the top comedy, which I guess is the sort of a higher budget remake (by the same guy) of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

30. Lost in Translation - How did I leave this one off my first list? One of my favorite movies. The blu-ray looks wonderful. I never get tired of watching it.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But they have audio of him being killed in the movie? There is nothing about the death in the movie other than saying that it happened? Because there was film or audio of it.
No, there is a description of it but you don't hear the attack, though I did find a small clip of it on the web.

They talk about his death but that isn't really the focus of the movie.
Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
No, there is a description of it but you don't hear the attack, though I did find a small clip of it on the web.

They talk about his death but that isn't really the focus of the movie.
OK, well good. Maybe I can watch it. I heard Werner Herzog interviewed about this movie and I was sure his death was a part of it. Thanks.

Uh . . . why would you want to listen to it?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…