Quantcast
Recommend a movie! - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a movie!
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Almost Famous. thumbsup

Starts off pretty bad, but got good in a hurry. Laughed my ass off. Rock and roll baby!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Almost Famous is great. Last night we saw "The Girl Who Played With Fire". Loved it. Of course I'm a huge fan of the books. You have to start with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" first though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you guys and your big hollywood movies.

Un Prophete is amazing

want to see carlos the jackal movie

the staircase is fantastic.

ghost dog

Le fils de l'épicier!!

La Haine

oh yeah

and Spalding Gray's(RIP) fantastic one man show--

Monster in a Box

Swimming to Cambodia

Vernon, Florida
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Recommend a movie!

Oh yeah Girl Who Played With Fire is a big Hollywood movie! Not.
Old 21st November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
'The Woodsman'. Wow, dark movie, tough part that Kevin Bacon plays. He does that part justice.

Pretty real portrayal. thumbsup

How can a child molester fit into society after serving a sentence in prison? Not so well I think. What do you do with them?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've gone all retro just lately, Alfred Hitchcock box set - 14 movies
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I saw The Road To Perdition a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it. It's not talked about very much.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Fitzcarraldo. I'm not going to say anything more, other than it's a cross between a Euro art film and a minor Hollywood spectacle. It's an amazing film. Werner Herzog wrote and directed, 'nuff said.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
saddest music in the world is a great movie.

The Wedding is a nice polish film.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Didn't see these mentioned . While not necessarily my all time favorites they are still good movies that kinda get passed over

Bottle Rocket .. early Wilson brothers movie

Things to do in Denver when your dead ....
Critical Bill is one of my favorite movie characters ..

Dave
Old 26th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo a couple of days ago. I like it a lot. But if I hadn't fallen in love with all the books of the Millennium series I don't know if I would have liked it as much.

Reminds me, I saw Leon: The Professional recently. It had a very young Natalie Portman in it. I mean she was 13 or 14 and very, very good.
Just saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.

Hell of a movie! Intense, disturbing, will keep you guessing until the end. Very long, but worth every minute. thumbsup
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Recommend a movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great

Just saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.

Hell of a movie! Intense, disturbing, will keep you guessing until the end. Very long, but worth every minute. thumbsup
You should definitely read the books. You can rent the second movie. The Girl Who Played With Fire. Highly recommended.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You should definitely read the books. You can rent the second movie. The Girl Who Played With Fire. Highly recommended.
That girl kicked ass! Reminded me a bit of Uma Thurman in 'Kill Bill', but much more real. thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➡️
That girl kicked ass! Reminded me a bit of Uma Thurman in 'Kill Bill', but much more real. thumbsup
Lisbeth Salander is my hero! Uma in Kill Bil was a great cartoon character. Lisbeth is much more ALMOST believable.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Lisbeth Salander is my hero! Uma in Kill Bil was a great cartoon character. Lisbeth is much more ALMOST believable.
The only thing that I don't like about the film is that it makes these people seem almost commonplace. And that I don't think is accurate. At least one would hope..
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Recommend a movie!

Lisbeth is very uncommon and I think they made that pretty clear. She's exceptional and reason for her exceptionality will made more clear as the series continues.
Old 27th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Lisbeth is very uncommon and I think they made that pretty clear. She's exceptional and reason for her exceptionality will made more clear as the series continues.
No I meant the deviants. They seem to be every other person.
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Recommend a movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great

No I meant the deviants. They seem to be every other person.
Hm. The family? I don't want to give anything away. Wiennerstrom? The father? The son? I don't know.
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just saw 'Tyson'. Fascinating look at this man's life and career. Very captivating film, worth the time. thumbsup

http://www.sonyclassics.com/tyson/
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can recommend "The Prestige". Michael Caine, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale and a "special guest" actor (whose name i will not mention) deliver a great performance. I like that movie a lot!
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Well here is a new movie I can recommend you DON'T see.

Don't go out to the movies much, but last night I took my wife out and we saw Adam Sandler's new flick 'Just Go With It'. 20 bucks for two tickets, 6 bucks for one small popcorn. I want my money back, and the two hours of my life I wasted. I usually like his movies but this one is a turkey. Bad script, bad acting, bad jokes. Skip this one.
Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Lot of good movies recommended here, lads - awesome.

King's Speech is great...check it out, if you haven't yet.

FWIW, Adam Sandler freeking blows. I wouldn't pay to see him if me life depended on it.

Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm looking forward to seeing The Kings Speech, and True Grit. But on the Netflix side of things, I just watched Crazy Heart. I thought it was incredible. Though I am getting a little tired of musician movies ALWAYS being about drugs addled, alcoholic fuk ups.

Last week we watched Winter's Bone. Another great movie, though a tough one to watch. What's her name was incredible.

Last night I saw The Book of Ely. Eeh. Pretty weird. Kind of Denzel in a modern day homage to the Spaghetti Western. Denzel is Clint Eastwood meets Mad Max. Sci Fi Christian. Weird.

I saw the Recruit. Hmm. OK. Not too bad. Many twists.
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey henry, skye and the rest...the wife and i saw the fighter the other night, pretty decent flick, fwiw.
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Serial killer movies for me the last 2 weeks. Just ordered some film noir to calm me down a bit heh
Old 19th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"The Day After", a post-apocalyptic tv movie about a nuclear attack somewhere in Missouri. Starring Steve "Mahoney" Guttenberg and John Lithgow! Really good actually, one of the best and most tasteful movies in the genre. No heroes and happy ending bull****.
Old 20th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary ➡️
"The Day After", a post-apocalyptic tv movie about a nuclear attack somewhere in Missouri. Starring Steve "Mahoney" Guttenberg and John Lithgow! Really good actually, one of the best and most tasteful movies in the genre. No heroes and happy ending bull****.
A few years back I rented “The Day After”, watching it for the first time since its original airing, and it held up fairly well – enough so I can recommend it. Definitely brought back echoes of the underlying sensations of dread, and the almost foregone conclusion of a nuclear war between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. during the Ronald Reagan era of the Cold War.

But as strong as The Day After still is in many ways, the British film “Threads”, also from the early 1980s, approaches the same topic from an English view, and almost makes the former seem tame and hopeful by comparison. Threads is so utterly bleak, unsentimental, and almost harrowing at times. The final shot in Threads is remarkable.

Threads - Nuclear War, 1984
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Day After. Wasn't Jason Robards in that? I don't remember Lithgow or Guttenburg.

Last night we watched the last of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Great series. Of course the book was better and the movie made more sense if you read it.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Day After. Wasn't Jason Robards in that? I don't remember Lithgow or Guttenburg.

Last night we watched the last of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Great series. Of course the book was better and the movie made more sense if you read it.
Yes, both Jason Robards and Steve Guttenberg were in The Day After, but I couldn’t remember myself if Lithgow was in the picture, and had to look it up to confirm he was. He played a character named Joe Huxley, but I still don’t recall who that was in the movie.

Another very good Cold War film is 1964’s “Fail-Safe”:
Fail-Safe (1964 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah Fail-Safe was pretty good. I read the book back when. And On The Beach. Dr Strangelove.

There was another made for TV movie that came out about the same time as the Day After. The Day After was nade for TV. I think it took place in northern California. A young family. Sonoma? SF was bombed. They were waiting for their dad/husband. I can't remember the name of it. It was good too.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…