Quantcast
Recommend a movie! - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a movie!
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I loved Seven Pounds! Big lessons in that movie as far as I'm concerned. I also loved Hangover. I'll have to see that Woody Allen movie. I used to be a huge fan, but got tired of watching so much of the same movies over and over again.

Rabbit Proof Fence
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Man, Henry we have very similar taste in movies!

I saw all these yesterday streaming on NetFlix!

I started with 'Philadelphia' and turned it off after about 20 minutes, which I rarely do! Horribly contrived and very unconvincing acting.

'American Violet', powerful movie, and once again, the sad realities of bad men in power that are able to manipulate the system to satisfy their own hatreds. Was really great to see that sob's own ex-wife and daughter turn on him. thumbsup

'Dear Zachary'. This is an amazing documentary about the life of a wonderful young man cut down in his prime. You hear about a lot of movies "based on a true story" but this is the actual people! And what a wonderful job they did putting it all together. You won't expect the ending, so watch it without reading very much about it. This one took me by surprise, excellent!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
OK Rob! I'll definitely check out Dear Zachary.
Old 26th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
And if you don't mind foreign films with subtitles, 'Cherry Blossoms' was quite excellent. Slow moving and nothing fancy, real human interaction, and great views of Germany and Japan. Worth the time.
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
seul contre tous (I stand alone) fantastic!
Old 1st May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Regardless of your previous thoughts, you owe it to yourself to go to the theater, buy a ticket for Kick-Ass and love every second of it. I thought it was incredible - Chloe Grace Moretz is just... wow. Excellent young actress, and McLovin' made me laugh
Old 20th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I finally saw 'Crash'. ( I think someone recommended it earlier). But I cannot recommend this movie. Every character is racist, mean, bitter, and worse. Practically every scene is filled with tragedy. Man, what a downer. What a f'kd world we would live in if everyone was like these people.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buffalo 66

AntiChrist

Koyaanisquatsi

Russian Ark
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Four Lions

FOUR LIONS - IN CINEMAS MAY 7
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re: Recommend a movie!

Tous Le Matins Du Monde (sp?)

Silent Running

Zardoz

Fantastic Planet

Phase IV

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I absolutely loved Crash. It was a movie and a story exaggerating truths to make a moral point. If you don't live in it you don't see it. For those who don't movies like Crash tries to get you to see it. I thought it was a very valuable movie.

Yes, and everyone in the movie was racist. A little like the real world.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
El mariachi

run lola run

cube

pi

two lane blacktop

Eraserhead

El Topo

The Machinist

Fantastic Planet

waiting for guffman

city of god

romper stomper

punks not dead

nashville

jacobs ladder

kids

memento
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
I absolutely loved Crash. It was a movie and a story exaggerating truths to make a moral point. If you don't live in it you don't see it. For those who don't movies like Crash tries to get you to see it. I thought it was a very valuable movie.

Yes, and everyone in the movie was racist. A little like the real world.
Man, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Yes, I know there are people that are that extreme, but most aren't, and the stereotyping in this movie was beyond extreme.

And the chance that all these things would be happening to these same people in this short frame of time is beyond ridiculous. I thought this movie was horrible.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Man, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Yes, I know there are people that are that extreme, but most aren't, and the stereotyping in this movie was beyond extreme.

And the chance that all these things would be happening to these same people in this short frame of time is beyond ridiculous. I thought this movie was horrible.
Well it was a movie. Everything connects together, like Lost.

Yes most people are NOT extreme, but it's there in little ways. The movie took a big magnifying glass.

I thought the scene with the cop saving the woman in the burning car he had recently assaulted was powerful. I thought the "You're an embarrassment" was powerful. I thought the girl standing in front of her father to protect him was very powerful.

And there was retribution and a real moral compass. I like that, rather than the nihilistic messages in many of todays movies/books -- there are bad men in the world, so what? I hate that.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
Well it was a movie. Everything connects together, like Lost.

Yes most people are NOT extreme, but it's there in little ways. The movie took a big magnifying glass.

I thought the scene with the cop saving the woman in the burning car he had recently assaulted was powerful. I thought the "You're an embarrassment" was powerful. I thought the girl standing in front of her father to protect him was very powerful.

And there was retribution and a real moral compass. I like that, rather than the nihilistic messages in many of todays movies/books -- there are bad men in the world, so what? I hate that.
Ok, horrible was a little harsh. But disappointing. And you knew something was going to happen with the little girl, nice twist though. They guy heading over there with the gun, I dunno.

There were some powerful moments, but it was just TOO played i.m.o. And Sandra Bullock? She just plays a one dimensional mean bitch the whole movie until the end when she suddenly hugs her housekeeper and tells her she's her best friend? I mean, come on..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Well of course you don't HAVE to like it! LOL.

We generally like what is REAL to us and and don't like that which seems unreal. Generally speaking, if you're not a minority you don't see it. There's no reason to see it because it's not directed at you.

I grew up experiencing racism. There's much less of it today. To make a movie about racism, which is most often very subtle, you have to take the subtlety out of it so those who don't know and don't see it, can see it like a plank over the head. This is what Crash was doing. Make it so even a caveman could see it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson ➑️
Tous Le Matins Du Monde (sp?)

Silent Running

Zardoz

Fantastic Planet

Phase IV

The last four are among my favorites.

I recently reconnected with Phase IV after not having seen it since it was on TV when I was a kid. What a great movie !

A few favorites-

Wake in Fright - sort of like an Australian "Deliverance", with a disturbing performance by Donald Pleasence

Seconds - awesome suspense movie dir. by Frankenheimer

Faust (by Jan Svankmajer)

Santa Sangre (Jodorowsky; I like his crazy earlier films too, but this one I would recommend first since it's relatively linear and less shocking)

Stroszek (Herzog) (and almost anything else of his as well, really, esp. Nosferatu)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I finally saw Aronofsky's Pi last night. It's been on my 'to see' list for years and although there was some fantastic cinematography and lots of good elements I was very disappointed overall. Just a great basic premise but half-baked without much follow-through or depth and drowned in too much forced stylism towards the end.
Old 22nd May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
'Deliver Us from Evil'

Should be required viewing for anyone attending a church. thumbsup
Old 23rd May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Devils Playground--documentary about Amish Kids breaking from the folds

Jesus Camp

Black Tar Heroin

The King of Kong
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've been enjoying more foreign films lately, I have especially run into some excellent German films.

Last night I watched a movie called 'Rosenstrasse' which is quite good. I like their style of movie making with a lot of subtlety, a refreshing alternative to Hollywood's more "in your face" style. thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray ➑️

Jesus Camp

Wow, watching it right now. It is just so hard to believe that these people are for real, but there it is. Unbelievable!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cassavetes' The killing of a chinese bookie and A woman under the influence
Vittorio DeSica's Bicycle Thief and Umberto D.
Lars Von Trier's The element of crime and Europa (Zentropa)
Banksy Exit through the gift shop
G.w. pabst Pandoras Box
Peter Bogdonavich Paper Moon
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re: Recommend a movie!

Not an intellectual film per se... but

Idiocracy

why? because it has electrolytes!

Hobson

Old 26th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➑️
Just saw Crazy Heart last night. What a great movie.

It's a real grower though. Halfway through I was thinking "Is this any good?" but after I just kept coming back to it. Mind you, I'm still a touring musician, a drifter if you will, and minus the alcohol abuse I could see a little of what my life might be like in 20 years.

They certainly nailed a few elements of that life very well.

R.
Saw it last night, excellent movie. And Bridges really is quite an actor. Without giving too much away, I did question why he would have had no interest in his son for so long, that seemed odd.
Old 4th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Haven't reported on a movie in a while, but would definitely recommend Garden State.

Natalie Portman is really good good in this. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well Natalie Portman just has to stand there and she's good form my point of view Rob but that aside I gotta say Garden State is literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen and maybe even the worst... (ok no that would be Face-Off! heh ) But I can see how it spoke to the Ritalin generation with such awful "suburban rich kids with designer problems" drivel.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Come on dude, you are harshing my mellow. heh

I think the characters are a bit over the top, unrealistic, and that did put me off. At first I thought the movie was kind of bad.

But I thought once Natalie enters the scene it gets better from there. I disagree about her just standing there, I think her character and performance are fabulous. I wish I had a girl just like her character. thumbsup
Old 12th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo a couple of days ago. I like it a lot. But if I hadn't fallen in love with all the books of the Millennium series I don't know if I would have liked it as much.

Reminds me, I saw Leon: The Professional recently. It had a very young Natalie Portman in it. I mean she was 13 or 14 and very, very good.
Old 13th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
In theaters recently I saw "City Island" which was very funny

Among the classics, one that is often overlooked that I've come to love is "McCabe & Mrs Miller" a Robert Altman film... featuring music by a young Leonard Cohen
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…