Quantcast
Scott Walker: 30th Century Man - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Scott Walker: 30th Century Man
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Scott Walker: 30th Century Man

I saw this film the other day and found it thought provoking into the nature of music as an art form, and enlightening as to what can be done. Walker's biographical story showed that you can musically start out in a very different place from where you end up, depending on cultural dictates, time and place, and of course, your mental makeup. Scott Walker is one interesting (if cryptic) dude.

That said, the only record I want to check out after seeing the film is Tilt. Not much of his early teen idol crooning was all that great, except that the B sides he got to do showed his early development into sonic exploration and song structure. He manages to be outside of musical constraints, yet still accessible and listenable at the same time. Kind of like if John Cage wanted to or knew how to craft some of his experimental sounds into more musical forms.

If you're interested to learn about a pioneer in a whole new kind of self-made music (I don't think the futuristic '30th century' bent is accurate), I recommend this movie. Initially I was drawn to the movie because people like Radiohead and David Bowie (both of whom appear and offer thoughts in the film, with Bowie executive producing) have been calling this guy a genius for awhile now.

I will say that when I got home from the theater and picked up my acoustic guitar to play, everything I did felt corny and contrived after seeing that movie.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…