The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stupidest things you have ever heard during a session
Old 13th August 2022
  #6721
Lives for gear
 
DomiBabi's Avatar
Just had an “audiophile” tell me Dante networks sound better.

Not funny, just stupid.
Old 13th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarmageddon ➡️
Ugh, now I'm kind of on a roll thinking about the three or four years I worked for that production company / studio. And to be clear, it was a fun gig, I got a lot of good touches on some pretty well-known releases, remixes, underground dance stuff, commercial work - not just as a producer and engineer, but also as a composer. But I'm working through some latent PTSD here and this memory came flooding back:
This is a really long story, so bail out now or settle in
[/b]
ICongrats well written, I stopped having interns here because of my own experiences, the last straw being a kid who decided he had "opinions" about what we were doing. I always tried to help and teach interns something whether it was about engineering or client skills, after every session i'd talk to the intern ask them if they had any questions 99.99999% there were no questions possibly because they spent most of their time texting or staring at their phones. I used to get annoyed and make them clean, but after a while I just said no to interns. It's too bad because I learned some by watching the engineer at the studio I first worked at. I believe that apprenticeship is still the best way to learn what we do, but I am totally not interested in taking on anyone ever again.
Old 13th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6723
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Im not in the studio biz but a live technician...
But i see that one of the bigger problems herenin Austria at least right now are that we don't have enough (sound) engineers (as some quit and changed their career path when covid hit) .
And I hear a lot of whining about that....but mostly from event companies that don't train apprentices or just use them for dirt work as cheap labor instead of teaching them the trade.

Sorry for the OT rant.
Old 13th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6724
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
If I were a young buck again (back when we had a vibrant Music Industry)...
I'd want to apprentice under someone like Lou.

Although Deedeeyeah would great also for learning live sound work.
(And help me create a hit Sitcom too! )
Chris
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6725
Gear Maniac
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
...after a while I just said no to interns. It's too bad because I learned some by watching the engineer at the studio I first worked at. I believe that apprenticeship is still the best way to learn what we do, but I am totally not interested in taking on anyone ever again.
I'd even go in so far as to say it can be a two way street. Being able to see 'how the kids are doing things' can be really eye opening (though these days I'm just hiding under a blanket and waiting out the current trend of 17-year-olds mumbling incoherently over a distorted 2-bar loop).
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6726
Lives for gear
 
DomiBabi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarmageddon ➡️
I'd even go in so far as to say it can be a two way street. Being able to see 'how the kids are doing things' can be really eye opening (though these days I'm just hiding under a blanket and waiting out the current trend of 17-year-olds mumbling incoherently over a distorted 2-bar loop).
We still take interns because we work with MPI and the local colleges… it’s a great way to stay young and learn from the younger generation; some very talented “kids” out there.

That said, most don’t last long and we are pretty quick to boot someone for the cardinal sins: being rude, being high in the studio, being lazy, not putting the client first… common sense is required.

I could fill an entire forum with intern faux pas.

Most recent funny moment? I had an intern record an artist with the mic facing the wrong way. For 6 hours, with the artist complaining. When I got there, I found out that he told the artist the mic is “voiced” to sound that way, and it’s a trademark of a “real studio condenser.”

What wasn’t funny was making the intern apologize and being forced to do the right thing and give the artist free time to re-record.
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6727
I recorded an short audio book using the wrong polar pattern side - right in the rejection part of the Cardioid!!! On a vintage neumann valve pencil mic. (The studio boss reccomended it.) I thought the damn thing was noisey! But the session was extra early in the morning and I was too hungover to catch my mistake.... TOTALLY my bad. I had never used that mic before. Whoops!
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
  #6728
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I recorded the VO for an episode of a TV show using the wrong side of a cardioid VO mic. In my defense it was the early days of the pandemic, and we were monitoring on Zoom, so I thought it just sounded "Zoom-crappy" not "wrong side of the mic crappy".

Fortunately, talent was wearing a lav mic too, so some judicious EQ later and no one commented on it.

-Mike
Old 17th August 2022
  #6729
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I was wondering why the signal coming from the SSL was so low. Turns out I ran the output through a pair of Electrodyne 511 EQs with the lunchbox rack being turned off.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6730
Gear Nut
 
Alex Banks's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
One of my own.

When I first started I had a covers band in the studio doing 11 tracks recording over 2 days.  I was very inexperienced, and a bit stressed.  When it came to starting the mix it was apparent that I'd really messed up.  Nothing sat together and the midrange was a wash.  It was awful. 

I started making broad strokes and deep surgical incisions. When I finally came to the point that I felt I could move the mix forward I muttered under my breath,  "Right,  it's stopped sounding shit".

The guitarist,  who was sitting next to me said, "Are we really that bad?"
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6731
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
I recorded an short audio book using the wrong polar pattern side - right in the rejection part of the Cardioid!!! On a vintage neumann valve pencil mic. (The studio boss reccomended it.) I thought the damn thing was noisey! But the session was extra early in the morning and I was too hungover to catch my mistake.... TOTALLY my bad. I had never used that mic before. Whoops!
But that's the correct way for doing VO commercials on...
Reverse Mortgages.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6732
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Banks ➡️
One of my own.

When I first started I had a covers band in the studio doing 11 tracks recording over 2 days.  I was very inexperienced, and a bit stressed.  When it came to starting the mix it was apparent that I'd really messed up.  Nothing sat together and the midrange was a wash.  It was awful. 

I started making broad strokes and deep surgical incisions. When I finally came to the point that I felt I could move the mix forward I muttered under my breath,  "Right,  it's stopped sounding shit".

The guitarist,  who was sitting next to me said, "Are we really that bad?"
If you have a tendency to talk to to yourself when working (as I have) it can be embarrassing.

Similarly, I was once working on eq-ing a guitar solo. I made the common error of adjusting the eq when it wasn't switched in on the board After the usual process of increasingly twisting knobs and looking confused, I realized the eq was out . I pushed the button and laughed.

Unfortunately, this coincided with a less than stellar passage in the solo that the guitarist was already wondering about.

He gave me a look that could kill, and said " hey! - if you think I should redo it, just say so!"
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump