Quantcast
How/What/When Did You Know What You Wanted To Do Musically? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How/What/When Did You Know What You Wanted To Do Musically?
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How/What/When Did You Know What You Wanted To Do Musically?

How, what and when did you know what you wanted to do musically?
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone?
Old 4th June 2020
For me, it began after buying a couple of synths. I joined GS and became interested in recording my sounds. I had experimented with Fruty Loops many years before I owned any gear but I really didn't know what I was doing at that time.

I learned about the modern DAW's and I chose Ableton Live. I'm still learning and it's a ton of fun!

So yeah, that's how it all started.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’m not sure I even know now.

I started out learning keyboards on a cheap chord organ when I was a kid - around 7 or 8 years old. A little old guy who played piano in the local Salvation Army hall taught me all the basic stuff, then after a year or so, he said I had a choice - either find a proper teacher and go down the classical training route (grades and all that) or just play for the pleasure of it. I chose the latter and - while I know that I could be a much better, more technically accomplished player if I had gone down the formal route - I’ve never regretted that decision.

In the forty-odd years since then, I’ve never made any kind of career in music (too busy earning a living doing other stuff) but I’ve always been glad to have a bit of music-making in my life. I still play keyboards (in my idiosyncratic, rusty fashion), I play a bit of guitar (badly - as any of my guitarist friends will tell you), I’ve been known to add bodhran to the odd folk/acoustic session around these parts and I can sing reasonably well. Oh, I’ve also provided keys and some of the vocals in a couple of covers/bar bands over the years - paid gigs, but not exactly high on the fame and riches scale!

Nowadays, I still largely play and write for my own pleasure, whether that’s mucking about with synths, etc. and recording stuff at home or going out to local open mic or folk/acoustic sessions (before lockdown, of course).

Is any of that what I intended when I first took to music? I don’t know - I wasn’t really thinking about it at all if I’m honest.

Did I ever have any big plans or dreams for what I wanted to do musically back when I started out? Nope, definitely not - I was already heading down another path. Which, to be fair, has turned out to be an interesting and multi-faceted journey in its own right over the years. (Currently on career number four - or is it five? I’m losing count...)

Through all of that, am I glad that I’ve always had music there in my life? Hell yes!!

Don’t know if any of that helps or provides a useful answer to the original question, but there you go. It’s an interesting question to think about in any case.
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Still figuring it out actually, after twenty years. I guess that's OK, I see music as just another art form.
I think some can empathize with over-obession with their work, and although it is very romantic it can be self-defeating. I am coming full circle in doing work that is from my beginner's mindset of discovery rather than expectations.
I think coming from a consumerist culture and those working in a professional capacity, we are often expected to produce results, be a brand, meet targets and this infringes on the authenticity not only of the experience, but the work itself.
So a good balance is what I strive for though I am predisposed to wander, and I appreciate those who can re-invent themselves time after time.
It seems to find, you have to be lost; the more guises and roles we get to wear, inversely the actual closer to authenticity to our "real" selves.
Old 28th June 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Was in the studio and when me and a friend were working on a beat he laid the keys and I put down the drum programming. That feeling when you build something that synergy I actually called another friend and was excited about that.

Even in Hustle&Flow when they are making that "Whoop Dat Trick" just makes you want to get up and get it.

I enjoy the creative process with confinement.

Example I only have a certain budget and time to work with. I like to see what I can do with what I have at the time. I want to maximize using what gear I have now so that when I move on - everything is spent.

What they say necessity is the mother of invention. It's true - when you have something you need to get out and you only have a certain outlet pointed in a specific direction and you learn to craft and incrementally master each nuance of your music whether it's the production, vocals or the mastering.

When you pay attention to every detail and you get the desired outcome, lawd what a feeling.

I'm excited to get on some new ****, I never recorded and put my vocals out - that's the next step. I been producing mostly house and faster stuff cause that's what is moving me right now.

We will see - If I get married might have to get my T. Pendergrass on.
Old 18th July 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
February 9, 1964, the Ed Sullivan Show.

Last edited by Kaatza Music; 21st July 2020 at 08:28 PM..
Old 19th July 2020
Deleted 34c3434
I think as soon as I heard music as a teenager I wanted to be able to make music - but that is 45-50 years or so ago. Certainly when I first played with friends in a band I fell in love with that communal music making. And I still love making music although have never really done a lot of work in bands which is a shame. But I have had a long part time career writing music for theatre and artist installation and for my own work etc. Still do, have a geolocated sound walk coming up in an exhibition in a couple of weeks
The second I could afford to retire and go back to music full time I did
Old 22nd August 2020
Gear Addict

When I heard the If You Want Blood album, at age 9 or so, I completely went nuts.

That's the music.

Still haven't found anything better.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…