Quantcast
Listener dynamics towards albums "discovered with streaming" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Listener dynamics towards albums "discovered with streaming"
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Listener's behavior towards albums "discovered with streaming"

Back in the days, to buy a cd or vynil I would take a metro to big records shop in the city center, and pay 10/15/20 but also 30 to bring that plastic box at home.
Sometimes going to small specialized shops, or to second hands disc resellers to find rarities.

I still do it to buy some classics in some big bookstores (the only place where you can find some CD today, if you don't want to buy online) or I shop discs with internet or second hand rarities on ebay.

This process of walking, buying, touching the box and putting it into my shelf...
...forced me to listen an album at least 5 or 10 times, even if not stellar, just to give sense to the money spent.

and in those 10 plays...sometimes I changed idea about the songs, and started to love the artist. Sometimes this process of changing idea (according to my tastes) required months or years, but having that disc in the shelf would help me to find it again.

Now with streaming I switch albums and songs like Tv zapping, because I know that I can choose between 1000000000000 others...

So my favourite albums remain all of the "physical" era, because the discovery and learning process of the album was totally different, including the shelf presence in a room. Although very good music is produced today, but I switch too quickly to the next artist/album something because of curiosity.

So are new kids condemned to never have favourite albums?
Condemned to ephemeral joy of the eternal zapping?

What's is your experience with streaming about this particular aspect?
Old 17th January 2019
Deleted c205829
Shuffling songs in my library and listening to albums from front to back both have there place. Streaming isn't anything I am interested in. I still find a handful of artist every year to begin discovering.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…