Quantcast
hourly control room rental? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hourly control room rental?
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hourly control room rental?

Sort of a follow-up to my "No Studio" thread where I asked if any location guys have found that they do not need to maintain an actual studio if they are exclusively working on locaton gigs. There were two obvious concerns if I give up my share of the studio that I now share with two partners: #1) where to store all of this gear, and #2) what to use as a control room when it is time to compile live recordings into final product. And that's today's question - for those of us with NO room at home for this type of work, what's available (by the hour?, by the day?) for this type of post-recording work? In LA there are plenty of "edit bay" places, but they cater to the film crowd and I don't think that they are really appropriate. I like the idea of finding my own 120SF to 200SF room and renting it by the month, but until that happens, I'm hoping to find some places that I could rent by the hour or day. Any suggestions?

steve
[email protected]
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are plenty of great studios here in town that have good mix setups. Depending on your format you are recording in, just about anybody will rent a room for you to do your project in. Look in to Citrus College. You can get a Neve VR-72 input for something like $75/hour. I have a friend in Fullerton that has a pretty slick studio- surround, PT with Pro Control, Lexicon, TC effects, Vac Rac comps/eqs, etc... I think they are in the $65/hour range.

I usually work in my office (aka. spare bedroom of my apt), but I can get work done there. When I need a studio, I rent one and the client can pay for it.

There's a ton of stuff out there, but it really depends on what you want.

--Ben
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Look in to Citrus College. You can get a Neve VR-72 input for something like $75/hour
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks, but I'm working mostly with 2 track DAT tapes, so a 12ft Neve might be a little more than I need. That's why I mentioned the TV/film edit bay idea, because all I really need is a small room with some good nearfields and a DAT deck and a CD burner. Some place for me to compile / edit live tapes into a CD. The frustarting thing is that I already have all the gear I need, I just need a 12x10 room to set it up in! NOt finding that on an hourly basis, I'll gladly rent somebody elses, gear and their little room. But it just doesn't make sense for me to rent an entire recording studio - I've already got one of those! I'm looking to leave that behind.

Steve
[email protected]
Old 23rd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Why not clean out a room in your house and use that? If all you need is 120 square feet it'll be tough to find at another studio unless it's the old mic locker or unused office. When I was thinking about doing a mix-room and using other studios to track I couldn't find anything under 400 square feet that had an easy load in/out and even still I think the smallest place I found was 300 sq feet. I'd compile stuff at home and then look for some kind of public storage to keep bigger gear in. Just make sure it's climate controlled and insured.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The storage space idea is already in the works, but I still need a room to work in. And some of us don't live in a house, we live in what's called an apartment - no spare room and not even a corner of a room that could be utilized. I can live without easy load in/out at the studio, especially if the road gear goes back to a storage space between gigs.

steve
[email protected]
Old 24th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Ok, but I'm sure you could find at least one corner or wall if you cleaned the apartment up. A reorg of any space once every few years is a great idea. It also gives you an excuse to really rip things apart and do a deep cleaning.
πŸ“ Reply