Quantcast
iPhone 5 stereo audio recording line in... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iPhone 5 stereo audio recording line in...
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
iPhone 5 stereo audio recording line in...

Is it possible on this iPhone?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Probably need to wait for Apogee, Line 6 to update their iOS interfaces unless you use a Lightning adaptor.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiciscool ➡️
Let's hope not !!!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➡️
Let's hope not !!!
Why do we hope not?!
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➡️
Why do we hope not?!
It's a iphone, a cell phone with data for email or web,
It already has a audio recorder on it, why do you need stereo? then you would need stereo mics not one inch away from another to get a decent effect.

Beside they make plenty of digital recorders out there with fire wire that would blow it away.

Apple is not stupid, they want you to download from itunes not upload off a line in, that would be like a iphone/cass/CD deck etc.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have a stereo mic I used to use with a minidisc recorder. If the iPhone line in allowed recording in stereo, then it's video would be sweet indeed. Also, using it for recording a gig would be wonderful. Why shouldn't they allow the line in to be stereo? Is it to difficult to engineer?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
[...] Why shouldn't they allow the line in to be stereo? Is it to difficult to engineer?
Because then you'd have to have a custom miniplug connector. Right now it has four connections: ground, headphone out L and R, and mono mic input. This is a standard configuration and a common part. They'd have to otherwise build something proprietary, or have a second connection. And really, how much demand will there be for it? And even more so, how much demand for pro quality and the increased price? I mean, my Cirrus Logic stock would thank you, but it would be something that wouldn't be used by 99.999% of the iPhone or iPad users. If it cost Apple $5 more to put in, and they sell 10M iPhones while maintaining their last-model pricing (as they are prone to do), they'd be giving up $50M in revenue so a couple Gearslutz can make some stereo line-in recordings.

Better to let a auxiliary device handle it through the digi i/o. Alesis, Apogee, Mackie, L6, various other companies all make devices that integrate with the dock connector.

What would have been interesting (and probably more technologically viable), but even more esoteric, would be the optical i/o that's embedded in the MacBook Pro mini plug jacks.

But using my iPhone for quick line-in two track recordings is handy. I have a Microtrack that really doesn't get used all that often anymore unless I need to spot record acoustically with a mic.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I should have stated in this digital world that we live in, everything is digital except the headphone, why would they put a analog input when they drive on digital, if anything they would have a optical in etc.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
There are plenty of stereo input accessories for iPhone.

Microphones that use the headphone jack will always mono, but accessories (mics, interfaces, etc.) that use the 30-pin connector (or now the Lightening connector), can record in stereo.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 30 pin dock connector on 4/4s has only mono analog line in. That is why none of the previous iPhone audio accessories work with the 4/4s. Any of the stereo accessories for the 4 have their own a/d, built in. The 5 has a tiny dock connector, which is supposedly all digital, i.e. no analog input. It will transfer data much faster back and forth from the computer though.
Would love to see a high end solution for portable recording, of course.
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hopefully this Lightning Connector thing will allow somebody to build a decent box with XLRs and phantom power so that you can finally use an iOS device as a proper multichannel location recorder. It does seem somewhat surprising that it's been half a decade and nobody has built the proper box / app. It would rule.

The old 30 pin dock connector did indeed support a stereo line in, you could buy a socket and solder yourself up an adapter.

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N...r_pinout.shtml Pins 5 & 6 are L & R line level.
Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
iphone 5 audio from mp3 player ??

I'm new to the forum and this seems close to what my problem is. I wear hearing aids that connect blue tooth to the iphone5. my old aids had a telecoil circuit --very old technology -- I could plug the telecoil 1/8 jack into the "headphone" output for my ipod shuffle and listen to music directly into my aids. More importantly, I could plug the telecoil jack into my riding instructor's fm unit and hear instructions directly into my aids.

All I see for iphone is guitar input -high impedance -- or mic gadgets-- which I think will not work for the mp3 player or the fm unit. I have a cord from kv connection, which is supposed to allow audio line in. The material says the phone will "automatically" sense the audio and bring in the audio, which I am supposed to hear via blue tooth in my aids... but that does not happen.

Is there some app for this, or is the only audio input actually mic input not line input? Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why not try a Sony M10. It will record stereo from a line input. I reviewed it a while back and was pretty impressed.

Check it out.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
sony m10

Thanks for the reply and source. but the M10 won't work for my situation. I need real time audio input, not just recording capability. iphone's music plays directly into my hearing aids via blu-tooth, so do phone calls. But I need to be able to input the audio from my riding instructor's fm unit into the iphone and have it blu-tooth into my aids. I cannot wear head phones -- or plugs, because of my aids.
Old 3rd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardm47 ➡️
Thanks for the reply and source. but the M10 won't work for my situation. I need real time audio input, not just recording capability. iphone's music plays directly into my hearing aids via blu-tooth, so do phone calls. But I need to be able to input the audio from my riding instructor's fm unit into the iphone and have it blu-tooth into my aids. I cannot wear head phones -- or plugs, because of my aids.
As noted above, there are many stereo line in iOS devices. If you need something that is small and can be carried around in a shirt pocket, Line6 makes a small stereo line in interface (I believe with a lightning connector now, but may need to check). I am sure other manufacturers like Griffin make one as well.

If you wanted something larger, any coreaudio device will work directly out of the box with the iPhone camera connection kit. The Mackie blackjack, Apogee Duet, the Roland DuoCapture...

Here is a partial list. All of these should work out of the box.

Auria Audio Interfaces
Old 13th December 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm with OP.

I'd love to be able to use my iPhone as a stereo field recorder, but while there are plenty of stereo mic attachments already available, I'd like to be able to feed my iPhone two separate inputs (XLR or jack) from separate stereo mics/inputs, for, say, recording a stereo output from a new synth patch I've perfected.....
Old 13th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutismint ➡️
I'm with OP.

I'd love to be able to use my iPhone as a stereo field recorder, but while there are plenty of stereo mic attachments already available, I'd like to be able to feed my iPhone two separate inputs (XLR or jack) from separate stereo mics/inputs, for, say, recording a stereo output from a new synth patch I've perfected.....
You can.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➡️
You can.
Explain how.
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutismint ➡️
Explain how.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➡️
[...]

If you wanted something larger, any coreaudio device will work directly out of the box with the iPhone camera connection kit. The Mackie blackjack, Apogee Duet, the Roland DuoCapture...

Here is a partial list. All of these should work out of the box.

Auria Audio Interfaces
The very inexpensive Roland DuoCapture even takes batteries, which is great for little location recordings.
Old 27th December 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I use a Maudio Fast Track Duo it even comes with an iOS cable to connect it (No camera kit required) - self powered.
cheap - eBay under $60.00
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New mic from Shure.

MOTIV™ Digital Microphones | Shure Americas

Don't forget, Rode have had one out for a while.

RØDE Microphones - i-XY

Not sure why you'd specifically need it for the headphone port though, unless you're worried about battery life.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…