iPhone 5 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iPhone 5
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
The thing is, my laptop was flying. It did not hesitate for a second! It could have lasted a couple more years at least.
Mine is still fast enough and will run it til it dies... Could be tomorrow could be years from now
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
No Big Deal

I've been using an iPhone 3GS since 2009 and am currently on iOS 5 - no problems with the current phone and don't see a need to get a new smartphone - Apple or Android.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I guess I am strange, I have never been the one to rush out to get the latest greatest thing on the market, I waited 6 months to get my 1st iphone and it still works great, yes I have a iphone 4 but i damn sure wasn't there the day it came out, all these crazy people who sleep outside the store, mall etc for a damn phone........it's just a phone, this is worse than a child at toys R us, to be honest I have seriously thought about letting my phone go period, and a text is the last thing I want going off on my phone.

People cannot be broke and the US cannot be as bad as it is if people are in line for a iphone.
Freaking crazy is what it is.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Beautiful! Go Apple )
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
So what are you guys saying, Apple can depend you you guys to shuck out 200-400 every couple years or less, I don't know the figure.

So who is holding out for the 5GS ?
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
So what are you guys saying, Apple can depend you you guys to shuck out 200-400 every couple years or less, I don't know the figure.

Me. :-) I'm on the 'S' upgrade cycle.

There's no real compelling reason for a 4S owner to go to a 5, IMO. Most of my friends and colleagues feel the same way - if they've got an iPhone 4 or earlier, then the 5 is the ticket.

I pretty much get a new Macbook Pro every 2 years as well, but mercifully it's even-numbered years for those, odd numbered years for iPhones.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➑️
Me. :-) I'm on the 'S' upgrade cycle.

There's no real compelling reason for a 4S owner to go to a 5, IMO. Most of my friends and colleagues feel the same way - if they've got an iPhone 4 or earlier, then the 5 is the ticket.

I pretty much get a new Macbook Pro every 2 years as well, but mercifully it's even-numbered years for those, odd numbered years for iPhones.
Wow! You upgrade every 2 years?!?! :confused:
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what are you guys saying, Apple can depend you you guys to shuck out 200-400 every couple years or less...
3GS lasted me 3 years. At $199 that's about $66 a year or .18 a day not counting the monthly charge

IMO a small price to pay for such a helpful tool.
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➑️
Wow! You upgrade every 2 years?!?! :confused:
Why not? It's all a tax write-off, and I get a surprising amount of money for the second-hand stuff. End up not out of pocket very much at all. Apple stuff, love it or hate it, tends to hold value very well.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why not? It's all a tax write-off, and I get a surprising amount of money for the second-hand stuff. End up not out of pocket very much at all. Apple stuff, love it or hate it, tends to hold value very well.
Fair enough, far too much effort imo but each to their ow
Lives for gear

You're seriously screwing yourself if you don't follow the upgrade path (in the US with most carriers anyway). They may lock you into a "contract" for service, but once you're out of the contract your bill doesn't decrease, you're still subsidizing the cost of a new phone. This applies to all phones, not just the iPhone.

If you don't follow an upgrade you're paying the subsidy without reaping the benefit. If I were to get an iPhone 5 in six months when I'm eligible I would still be able to sell my 4S for a few hundred dollars to cover my cost on a new 5 and my monthly service charge would remain the same either way.
Old 21st September 2012
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➑️
You're seriously screwing yourself if you don't follow the upgrade path (in the US with most carriers anyway). They may lock you into a "contract" for service, but once you're out of the contract your bill doesn't decrease, you're still subsidizing the cost of a new phone. This applies to all phones, not just the iPhone.

If you don't follow an upgrade you're paying the subsidy without reaping the benefit. If I were to get an iPhone 5 in six months when I'm eligible I would still be able to sell my 4S for a few hundred dollars to cover my cost on a new 5 and my monthly service charge would remain the same either way.
Here, if you want to keep your old handset and your contract is up you can usually get a pretty hefty discount on your monthly charge. A friend of mine kept refusing to upgrade his 3GS and his network kept offering him super low monthly feed with all the same stuff if he'd just resign a contract.

That said, obviously the earlier you sell on your older kit, the more you get...
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I cannot understand who would want to buy a used iphone, I wouldn't expect get get crap out of mine.
Keep in for a backup in case you have a accident that is your fault. Believe me you don't want to buy a new iphone straight out.
Old 23rd September 2012
Founder

Quote:

Probably me.

I want to do some browser racing against my 4s if its not blazingly faster then I can wait. If its super fast I will have to have it.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
Probably me.

I want to do some browser racing against my 4s if its not blazingly faster then I can wait. If its super fast I will have to have it.
Time to get out the credit card.

I'm loving my iPhone 5. Upgraded from the 4 and it's smoking fast, and a beautiful piece of kit to boot.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory ➑️
Time to get out the credit card.

I'm loving my iPhone 5. Upgraded from the 4 and it's smoking fast, and a beautiful piece of kit to boot.
Sounds like an Ad, surely it's not a lot different from the 4, not slagging iPhones off but getting evangelical over an incremental upgrade seems slightly disingenuous... It looks the same, acts the same but has 4g and is faster - perfectly acceptable upgrade but hardly an exciting one
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➑️
Sounds like an Ad, surely it's not a lot different from the 4, not slagging iPhones off but getting evangelical over an incremental upgrade seems slightly disingenuous... It looks the same, acts the same but has 4g and is faster - perfectly acceptable upgrade but hardly an exciting one
Who's getting evangelical or disingenuous? Jules was wondering about the browser speed (which is MUCH faster than the iPhone 4) so I gave him a link to an article on CNET where they tested the iPhone 5 browser speed against the 4 and the Samsung GS3. I have nothing to gain if he chooses to buy a new iPhone.

Then I told him I love my new phone and that it is indeed faster. God forbid. No one's saying it's completely different or mind-blowing or anything, it's simply a refinement/improvement on what was already a great design. Sure, there are other phones with more features, so if that's stuff's important to you, go buy one of those.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North ➑️
The release of the iPhone 5 cemented my feelings. I know it will sell boatloads but the innovation is just gone. I waited patiently through the iPhone 4 / 4S transition and decided to stick with my 4 until the 5 arrived and now I am having second thoughts. It's not the end of the world but it really gives me an appreciation for what Jobs was able to do with that company.
It's very temptative to turn Jobs into some kind of legend, that never had a failure and every product launch was a breakthrough success and a pinnacle of innovation. Well, he had his share of failures. Remember Cube, Antennagate, MobileMe ... I could continue for a while. Nevertheless I hope Apple keeps a certain freshness to things and is not afraid to launch products which might fail big time.

What you witness is the maturing of a product. Like iMac, MacBook Air, MacPro etc that didn't change too much over the past years.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory ➑️
Who's getting evangelical or disingenuous? Jules was wondering about the browser speed (which is MUCH faster than the iPhone 4) so I gave him a link to an article on CNET where they tested the iPhone 5 browser speed against the 4 and the Samsung GS3. I have nothing to gain if he chooses to buy a new iPhone.

Then I told him I love my new phone and that it is indeed faster. God forbid. No one's saying it's completely different or mind-blowing or anything, it's simply a refinement/improvement on what was already a great design. Sure, there are other phones with more features, so if that's stuff's important to you, go buy one of those.
Just the tone of your post seemed a bit disingenuous given how unimpressive the upgrades are... So it's faster and uses 4g - which to me is very vanilla - most upgrades address performance issues and now it uses the latest comms protocol... Not hating just surprised at the excitement
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi ➑️
It's very temptative to turn Jobs into some kind of legend, that never had a failure and every product launch was a breakthrough success and a pinnacle of innovation. Well, he had his share of failures. Remember Cube, Antennagate, MobileMe ... I could continue for a while. Nevertheless I hope Apple keeps a certain freshness to things and is not afraid to launch products which might fail big time.

What you witness is the maturing of a product. Like iMac, MacBook Air, MacPro etc that didn't change too much over the past years.
Actually, I agree, he had an enormous amount of failures throughout his lifetime, especially in the beginnings. As a human being, there is not really much to like either, he was the type of guy who would park in a handicap spot in a big Mercedes and not even think twice about it. Detestable really.

I am primarily a business person/entrepreneur and that is how I am looking at things. From strictly a business perspective he is one of the most gifted business visionaries I have ever read about. Most corporations are set up to be more about the organization and it's values and mission than the individual. The great organizations/corporations out there develop business systems and concepts that are repeatable by almost anyone. This makes repeatability alot more predictable and allows for eventual leadership successions that are set up to suceed.

There is one thing Jobs had that is uniquely different and that was his ability to innately pick out what the next trend was and to completely side step more traditional CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods) protocol and hit a home run. Things like focus groups, which are tools used by virtually all of the great CPG companies, were completely sidestepped. I don't remember the exact quote but I beleive Jobs said "The consumers don't know what they want until I show it to them". From a corporate standpoint that is an EXTREMELY ballsy thing for a leader of a publically held company to say. You can look at ANY of todays CPG giants, including Apple, and you will not find anyone repeating anything near as agressive.

Great organizations survive over the course of time because their business model, philosphies and values are repeatable. I don't think there is anyone at Apple, or anywhere else for that matter, who can run Apple the way Jobs did. In his book Jobs tried to explain how he tried to impart his values with Apple so they it could survive without him but it was weak. Compare it to someone like Jack Welch and his process for succession and you really see the stark difference between the two companies and leaders. Welch was considered one of the great corporate leaders of his era and he setup GE in a way that would allow it to continue grow and prosper in his absence.

Only time will tell but IMO the greatest era of Apple has ended because Jobs has passed and he was such a dynamic force that cannot be replicated. There is enough brand equity with Apple that I think it will survive for many years to come, but it will never be as it once was IMHO. The breakthroughs will start to diminish, as i beleive they already have and I beleive you will see more and 'mistakes and missteps' from Apple in the coming years.

I don't mean to come across as if everything I am saying is an absolute truth. Leadership questions by their very nature, are complex and lengthy issues to discuss. For purposes of brevity, I am making a number of assumptions and summarising a lot of what I am saying. Just trying to give a little bit of reasoning on where I am coming from.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North ➑️
Actually, I agree, he had an enormous amount of failures throughout his lifetime, especially in the beginnings. As a human being, there is not really much to like either, he was the type of guy who would park in a handicap spot in a big Mercedes and not even think twice about it. Detestable really.

I am primarily a business person/entrepreneur and that is how I am looking at things. From strictly a business perspective he is one of the most gifted business visionaries I have ever read about. Most corporations are set up to be more about the organization and it's values and mission than the individual. The great organizations/corporations out there develop business systems and concepts that are repeatable by almost anyone. This makes repeatability alot more predictable and allows for eventual leadership successions that are set up to suceed.

There is one thing Jobs had that is uniquely different and that was his ability to innately pick out what the next trend was and to completely side step more traditional CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods) protocol and hit a home run. Things like focus groups, which are tools used by virtually all of the great CPG companies, were completely sidestepped. I don't remember the exact quote but I beleive Jobs said "The consumers don't know what they want until I show it to them". From a corporate standpoint that is an EXTREMELY ballsy thing for a leader of a publically held company to say. You can look at ANY of todays CPG giants, including Apple, and you will not find anyone repeating anything near as agressive.

Great organizations survive over the course of time because their business model, philosphies and values are repeatable. I don't think there is anyone at Apple, or anywhere else for that matter, who can run Apple the way Jobs did. In his book Jobs tried to explain how he tried to impart his values with Apple so they it could survive without him but it was weak. Compare it to someone like Jack Welch and his process for succession and you really see the stark difference between the two companies and leaders. Welch was considered one of the great corporate leaders of his era and he setup GE in a way that would allow it to continue grow and prosper in his absence.

Only time will tell but IMO the greatest era of Apple has ended because Jobs has passed and he was such a dynamic force that cannot be replicated. There is enough brand equity with Apple that I think it will survive for many years to come, but it will never be as it once was IMHO. The breakthroughs will start to diminish, as i beleive they already have and I beleive you will see more and 'mistakes and missteps' from Apple in the coming years.

I don't mean to come across as if everything I am saying is an absolute truth. Leadership questions by their very nature, are complex and lengthy issues to discuss. For purposes of brevity, I am making a number of assumptions and summarising a lot of what I am saying. Just trying to give a little bit of reasoning on where I am coming from.
Apple could go the way of microsoft post-gates. Whatever you think of MS they've gone downhill since gates left.

I see less innovation from Apple in the future... Perhaps they'll get complacent like microsoft and lose the plot. Its a common trajectory for very successful tech firms: IBM, Google, Netscape and even the more ghetto firms like napster, myspace etc all lost the plot to a degree...
Old 13th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➑️

I'm on prepaid here in Australia. I pay $25 a month for unlimited mobile and landline calls as well as 3 gb of internet/data. I recently bought an iPhone 4 for $250 second hand, and then a couple of days later sold my 3G for $180 effectively paying $70.

I don't care about being current, and am amazed at the difference from the 3G to the 4, especially in regards to the speed of just about everything, and the much nicer display.

If I wanted to be current, I'm sure I'd be paying a lot more than I am at the moment.
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
Probably me.

My ISP has LTE here and the iPhone 5 is smoking fast!
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got my iphone a month ago and the LTE is crazy fast, i would say its about as fast as wifi.
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well my friend who got the Iphone 5 told me his impression based against his 4S . It is lighter, faster and gets better reception. Now this may or may not be important. As far the as the upgrade cycle here in the states it does pay the upgrade sometimes early. You can easily sell a 16 GB 4S for $300-350. Even more for the 32gb. It pretty much pays for the upgrade cost of going to the Iphone 5.

As far as Apple being done now that Steve Jobs is dead. Well in his dying months he actually worked pretty hard. This was to make sure Apple would be innovative for the next 5 years after his death.
Yes the guy was that obsessive about it. I don't expect Apple to just suddenly decline not bring out products that are good.
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
anyone having battery issues?
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talked to a rep about this, told me that the new N antenna and the LTE as well as the new processor tend to drain the battery a lot faster, especially if you are coming from an iphone 4. When i upgraded i could charge my 4 every other day with constant use. Now i have to recharge it almost 2 times a day with heavy use. Wish there was a fix but most likely we not gonna see one.
Old 26th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
yeah. i am hoping they can do something in the software to control the antenna signal. It seems like my battery dies with lower reception. I don't want to disable LTE but it might be the solution. If my button worked on my iphone 4 I would have kept it and waited for the 5s which will probably address the battery issue.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…