Quantcast
iPhone 5 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iPhone 5
Old 14th September 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I've got Apples and PCs as well as an iPhone 3 (not even with a g), and iPad and I had the way Apple make's one 'sync'.

Give me an extra drag'n'drop drive on my PC any day.

Having said that, I really like my iPhone & hope my sister the Apple junkie buys the 5, because she'll probably give me her old one.
Old 14th September 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It's thinner
It's brighter
It's faster
It's lighter

It makes you glad to be alive
It's the iPhone 5

It's...

About time someone made a spoof video of the obligatory Jonathan Ive - earnest, quietly considered, becoming-rather-tedious eulogies on the inception and creation of his new designs...

"Ya' know - we couldn't give a toss really, we just threw this model together, 'cos we knew it would sell by the shed load" - Jony.
Old 14th September 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 
WinnyP's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
It's locked to iTunes though. Have you ever tried to backup and restore a phone from scratch or update the OS. It sucks. Try and backup any data off your current iphone via any other means....No luck. I have the 4, but may go Samsung later if they offer less restrictive parameters of use.
Old 14th September 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Try that with any other phone. Devicedrivers are no where... When You buy an Iphone you can get at least two OS updates... See how long 3GS updates have gotten users...
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
  #35
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➑️
I've got Apples and PCs as well as an iPhone 3 (not even with a g), and iPad and I had the way Apple make's one 'sync'.
.
Aye - but once you "get it" it changes the way (for better) in which you run a multi site operation. Truly excellent with our lot !!
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
BLUElightCory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh ➑️
It's locked to iTunes though. Have you ever tried to backup and restore a phone from scratch or update the OS. It sucks. Try and backup any data off your current iphone via any other means....No luck. I have the 4, but may go Samsung later if they offer less restrictive parameters of use.
You can back up directly to iCloud right from the phone. No computer necessary.
Old 14th September 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 
WinnyP's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory ➑️
You can back up directly to iCloud right from the phone. No computer necessary.
Great! Now I can finally share all my contacts, emails, 1000 photos, voice recordings & notes with my network of close friends at Apple in India, Ireland and California! As you know I Love sharing, just ask my wife! I'm sure all of this stuff additionally is much safer on a cloud server than on my personal backup hard drive! And Free!!!! Plus restoring all of these Gigabytes of data is probably even faster & more reliable via a Internet connection than my hard drives' USB cable. Thanks, I don't know how I lived without this! Haha

Your confidence also assures me that iTunes will no longer overwrite my previous saved backups with those of my 1min-old-freshly-reset&empty phone again!
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh ➑️
Great! Now I can finally share all my contacts, emails, 1000 photos, voice recordings & notes with my network of close friends at Apple in India, Ireland and California! As you know I Love sharing, just ask my wife! I'm sure all of this stuff additionally is much safer on a cloud server than on my personal backup hard drive! And Free!!!! Plus restoring all of these Gigabytes of data is probably even faster & more reliable via a Internet connection than my hard drives' USB cable. Thanks, I don't know how I lived without this!
Yeah and me to - I LOVE giving all my personal info to those wonderful Apple employees...

Just the way I love sharing, sharing, sharing on Facebook.

I want everyone to know everything about me, all the time. I wish Google knew more too!
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Another win for apple. samsung is about to be severely hamstrung.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Apple did not violate patents owned by Samsung Electronics in making the iPod touch, iPhones and iPads, a judge at the International Trade Commission said in a preliminary ruling on Friday. Apple and Samsung have taken their bruising patent disputes to some 10 countries as they vie for market share in the booming mobile industry. Apple won a landmark victory last month after a U.S. jury found the South Korean firm had copied key features of the iPhone and awarded Apple $1.05 billion in damages.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I am sick of giving apple all my money, I will buy a iphone 5 when my iphone 4 dies, or maybe I will wait for the iphone 10 to come out
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➑️
I think it's a stroke of genius.

Apple have stopped the 'order of magnitude' updates.

The reason? It doesn't piss off buyers of the previous models nearly as much as it could.

Very few people with a 4S are going to see this as an essential upgrade. I know I don't.

Increasing the perceived longevity of any given device probably works out better in the long run in terms of making these things seem like "smart buys."

The real tech nerds will think it a waste of their time, but it becomes essential for people on three and four year old handsets. That's a superb amount of time to retain a phone!
Until they see what Android phone makers have done and realize their phones are **** . . .

The reason my mac lasted so long was because it was pioneering and innovative. It had two duo core processors, for god's sakes ! It worked for so long, and was an incredible device. If it had been what the pc makers were doing, it would have lasted three years or so until it was unusable. It isn't about perceived longevity, it is about actual longevity. THAT is what works out better in the long run.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➑️
It's all about the 6...

Joking aside i only know two people excited about it, one is taking the day off work to get his....says it all... :confused:
Taking a day off ? what a freak, very confused.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
Aye - but once you "get it" it changes the way (for better) in which you run a multi site operation. Truly excellent with our lot !!
No arguments from me, regarding this.

I grew up with both machines throughout my life and am probably slightly more conversant with using a PC opposed to a Mac. I'm not going to bash either platform, but as a simple user with basic needs I prefer the simplicity of the phone acting as just another drag'n'drop drive.

I think I know why Apple have implemented in this fashion and it has little to do with the user and a lot to do with Apple controlling their hardware. I also read somewhere that 'syncing' is less about connecting the phone to the computer and more about connecting the 'customer' to the iTunes store.
Old 15th September 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
Taking a day off ? what a freak, very confused.
Mate its ridiculous but im beginning to have a new found respect for apple... What they are doing is marketing genius- especially as its in the tech arena where consumers on average are more savvy

So this guy doesn't earn a lot, has a 4s and cant actually explain the difference of the 5 except that it is 4g is still taking the day off to get a 5...this guy is my boss, this guy is in no way stupid...

Apple I must say that is impressive stuff
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Until they see what Android phone makers have done and realize their phones are **** . . .

The reason my mac lasted so long was because it was pioneering and innovative. It had two duo core processors, for god's sakes ! It worked for so long, and was an incredible device. If it had been what the pc makers were doing, it would have lasted three years or so until it was unusable. It isn't about perceived longevity, it is about actual longevity. THAT is what works out better in the long run.
The reason is its ONE system.

Windows, Android etc etc has to support a numerous number of various quality items. The result is ridiculous - a thousand way driver support because none of these companies communicate effectively.

Apple - whilst maybe not offering what some smart phones have to offer - give us a simple few model system. This is the only reason Apple has succeeded; they've taken the computer expert out of the whole thing and given it to people who are not interested in tech; just in what tech can do for them. It has nothing to do with better/worse just getting it right with granny simpson up the road.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➑️
Mate its ridiculous but im beginning to have a new found respect for apple... What they are doing is marketing genius- especially as its in the tech arena where consumers on average are more savvy

So this guy doesn't earn a lot, has a 4s and cant actually explain the difference of the 5 except that it is 4g is still taking the day off to get a 5...this guy is my boss, this guy is in no way stupid...

Apple I must say that is impressive stuff
I did not say stupid, but I will say it's a bit over the edge.
Old 16th September 2012
  #47
Gear Nut
 
quiztones's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
BLUElightCory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh ➑️
Great! Now I can finally share all my contacts, emails, 1000 photos, voice recordings & notes with my network of close friends at Apple in India, Ireland and California! As you know I Love sharing, just ask my wife! I'm sure all of this stuff additionally is much safer on a cloud server than on my personal backup hard drive! And Free!!!! Plus restoring all of these Gigabytes of data is probably even faster & more reliable via a Internet connection than my hard drives' USB cable. Thanks, I don't know how I lived without this! Haha

Your confidence also assures me that iTunes will no longer overwrite my previous saved backups with those of my 1min-old-freshly-reset&empty phone again!
Quite a bit of sarcasm for a simple response to your concerns about using iTunes. I've personally never had a problem after 4 years of iPhone usage.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
First benchmark of the iPhone 5 is out.

The total Geekbench 2 score comes in at 1601. Poole notes that the average score for the iPhone 4S is 629 and the average score for the iPad 3 is 766.

iPhone 5 Benchmarks Appear in Geekbench Showing a Dual Core, 1GHz A6 CPU - Mac Rumors

Old 17th September 2012
  #50
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ ➑️
First benchmark of the iPhone 5 is out.

The total Geekbench 2 score comes in at 1601. Poole notes that the average score for the iPhone 4S is 629 and the average score for the iPad 3 is 766.

iPhone 5 Benchmarks Appear in Geekbench Showing a Dual Core, 1GHz A6 CPU - Mac Rumors

iPhone 4s is terrible
Old 17th September 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
WinnyP's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory ➑️
Quite a bit of sarcasm for a simple response to your concerns about using iTunes. I've personally never had a problem after 4 years of iPhone usage.
The response assumed my post was by an idiot. no one likes being called an idiot.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiztones ➑️
I can see that happen. heh

Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
BLUElightCory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiztones ➑️
Haha, and here's a leaked pic of the Samsung Galaxy S4:

Old 17th September 2012
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Llitsor's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It looks like a cool smart phone to me, especially if those Geekbench numbers are to be believed. Although how anyone would use that kind of oomph on a smart phone is beyond me. It bodes well for future iPads though, where iOS software is that much more useable.

I started to watch the Apple keynote, and turned it off after Tim Cook said "It's so totally amazing!" for the 43rd time (probably a mere 10 minutes in then).. As much as I generally like Apple stuff, all the hype, fanfare and pomp that goes with the company does grate on me these days.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
DaveE's Avatar
Welp, I just saw my order has been pushed back two weeks. Booooo!
Old 18th September 2012
  #56
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Until they see what Android phone makers have done and realize their phones are **** . . .

The reason my mac lasted so long was because it was pioneering and innovative. It had two duo core processors, for god's sakes ! It worked for so long, and was an incredible device. If it had been what the pc makers were doing, it would have lasted three years or so until it was unusable. It isn't about perceived longevity, it is about actual longevity. THAT is what works out better in the long run.
Im not convinced by this, i still use a laptop which has been on for the best part of 5 - 6 years and takes an absolute drubbing with the apps i insist on running...

I think any well made machine is capable of lasting years, thing is my laptop is a cheapo Advent 7111 :eek:
Old 19th September 2012
  #57
Gear Maniac
 
Blunt's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The whole release hype event (and, in fact, Apple's whole marketing ethos) reminds me of Scientology! It still amazes me that a company would WANT their customers to behave like churchgoers, and that the Apple fans seem to LOVE their indoctrination...mental
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #58
Lives for gear
 
BLUElightCory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt ➑️
The whole release hype event (and, in fact, Apple's whole marketing ethos) reminds me of Scientology! It still amazes me that a company would WANT their customers to behave like churchgoers, and that the Apple fans seem to LOVE their indoctrination...mental
I'm sorry, but I'm so sick of this whole "drink the [fill in the blank] Kool-Aid" mentality. I'm not saying there isn't a TON of hype, but at least there's a proven track record of quality products to back it up.

Do you really think that pretty much every other company on earth doesn't want the kind of brand loyalty that many people show to Apple? I promise you that ALL of Apple's competitors DREAM of that kind of loyalty, but for the most part they're simply not satisfying their customers enough to earn it. Why do you so many of Apple's competitors are emulating them so much these days?

If you find a good mechanic / plumber / accountant / etc. you will generally give them your future business, because you are happy with what you've been provided with so far. You'll probably even recommend them to your friends. Apple loyalists are no different. Make a great product that people enjoy using, and people will get excited for the next one. It's only natural.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I am not an Apple fan but the iPhone was the first player in the smartphone market with a proper GUI and that is the phone OS that I am used to now. If someone was starting from scratch and had no prior experience with smart phones then my advice would be to go Android.

When Steve Jobs died I read his biography and thoroughly enjoyed it. What became clear to me after reading the book however was that I think Apple is going to experience a significant decline over the next few years. Jobs was such a dynamic leader that only comes around once in a lifetime, you just can't replace that in my opinion.

The release of the iPhone 5 cemented my feelings. I know it will sell boatloads but the innovation is just gone. I waited patiently through the iPhone 4 / 4S transition and decided to stick with my 4 until the 5 arrived and now I am having second thoughts. It's not the end of the world but it really gives me an appreciation for what Jobs was able to do with that company.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➑️
Im not convinced by this, i still use a laptop which has been on for the best part of 5 - 6 years and takes an absolute drubbing with the apps i insist on running...

I think any well made machine is capable of lasting years, thing is my laptop is a cheapo Advent 7111 :eek:
The thing is, my laptop was flying. It did not hesitate for a second! It could have lasted a couple more years at least.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump