Quantcast
RIP Benjy King - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP Benjy King
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
RIP Benjy King

I just got word that our colleague and GS member Benjy King has passed. He was a great buy and genius musician and his loss is terrible shock to all of us. His work will be remembered.

In this track he lead the rhythm session, and he played rhythm guitar as well. The Rhythm section was recorded in one take, and Benjy inspired the whole crew. later he overdubbed Hammond/Leslie on the track

Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
According to other sources he fell down a flight of stairs, went into coma, and could not be revived. The sad irony is that on Patty Smyth and Scandal's home page she wrote:

Quote:
"As for her current revival, Patty suggests: “I don’t play to a pre-recorded track or have 15 dancers on-stage. There are no smoke and mirrors. We feel that people are yearning for music that’s real. It’s just these four guys and I, out there seriously kicking some ass and having fun. We’re so tight, if I fell down a flight of stairs, they would follow me and we’d all land on our feet. I don’t have to think of anything else when I’m performing. For that hour, I can step out of my life. It’s like flying. I feel like I’m at the top of my game, and totally in my element. It’s an unbelievable joy.”
Sadly, this time he did not fall on his feet.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can't believe I am reading this... We exchanged some emails about some old Altec gear back in 04. I had no idea who I was really conversing with until I went to his website and then it hit me.... "I know who this guy is!" He was very kind and generous with information and he could always be found here and on the PRW site. I am so very sorry to hear of this development. He just posted yesterday over there... then today, gone. This is indeed very sad news.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awful news! I also had some online discussions with him about Altec gear and last year when he was in FL, we talked by phone about some possible live gig situations. I can't believe more folks haven't chimed in here. Benjy was just an awesome musician and producer/engineer.

Condolences to his family.
Old 25th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
So sorry to read of his passing, my condolences too.
By all accounts a great guy.

Chris
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yes, it's a sad, sad day. He was such a good and gentle soul in my experiences with him. the last time i talked to him i loved that he said he wouldn't own an ipod because mp3s just don't sound good enough to warrant having one. i loved his unique and iconoclastic stand on that. he will be missed.

mike leslie

Last edited by big65pbass; 25th September 2012 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: forgot to sign it
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There is a very long obituary thread going on about dear Benjy over there in Terry Manning's Professional Recording Workshop forum for those who knew him.
Old 25th September 2012
Deleted User
had a few dealings with Benjy .. he was very kind and gracious .. we had a few long Altec gear and old school recording technique chats.. it was always a boost to contact him .. sad news
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…