The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
R.I.P. Tim Mildenhall-Gilles, AKA Rumblefish, AKA Slipperman
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
R.I.P. Tim Mildenhall-Gilles, AKA Rumblefish, AKA Slipperman

Slipperman has left us.

His smart ass wit was one of the things that made the internet more enjoyable to me. But his "Recording Distorted
Guitars Thread From Hell" was a legendary read. ( https://archive.org/stream/Slipperma...on%29_djvu.txt ). Community colleges all around the globe should study his use of profanity.

He worked on some really great hardcore records. Partial disco here:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-gilles-mn0000929262

Condolences to his wife, Jennene Mildenhall-Gilles, the Big Blue Meanie crew, his friends and family.

I will miss him greatly.
Old 11th January 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Rest in peace
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow, that's a bummer it seems like he just moved to the land down under just a few months ago. RIP.
Old 12th January 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
SAD news about Tim aka Slipperman

Thanks for the memories audio soldier

You were one of our best.

Jimmy Hunter aka studiojimi
www.jimbojamz.com
www.jimmyhunter.com

Last edited by studiojimi; 12th January 2022 at 05:58 PM..
Old 12th January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
What a drag. Was he sick?
Old 12th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
What a drag. Was he sick?
no clue...i got an email from another cat.

all i know is that he moved down under fairly recently where his wife was from
Old 12th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue ➑️
Slipperman has left us.

His smart ass wit was one of the things that made the internet more enjoyable to me. But his "Recording Distorted
Guitars Thread From Hell" was a legendary read. ( https://archive.org/stream/Slipperma...on%29_djvu.txt ). Community colleges all around the globe should study his use of profanity.

He worked on some really great hardcore records. Partial disco here:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-gilles-mn0000929262

Condolences to his wife, Jennene Mildenhall-Gilles, the Big Blue Meanie crew, his friends and family.

I will miss him greatly.
RIP Slippy. We had a lot of fun together on the internet and in life.
Old 16th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RIP to a man who was larger than life, brilliant and good. You will be missed.
Old 16th January 2022
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Terrible news! Such a strong and unique character.
Old 16th January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Shit....RIP Slipperman, and thank you for the joy and wisdom!! There was a lot of both shared.
Old 16th January 2022
Here for the gear

One of Utica's talents has joined the cosmic frontiers. Prayers to Family & Friends
Old 17th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Safe travels, Tim. You are sorely missed already.
Old 17th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
RIP Slippy, and I mean this with all due respect

HOHOHO
Old 17th January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I loved the series he wrote for Tape Op. I was just thinking about him a few days ago RIP.
Old 17th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While did stay in loose contact after his move to Tassie, my wife and I had him over in our home studio and had a blast. Good food, working on music,talking about life and our former lives in NYC and surroundings and the shared strangeness of relocating down under.
I'm absolutely shocked to hear of his passing. He did have ongoing serious health issues but I never considered that it was life threatening.
RIP big dude
Old 17th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow he was always funny . I related to the smart ass but not take himself to seriously attitude. In the end he always delivered the knowledge. R.I.P.
Old 17th January 2022
Old 17th January 2022
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Wow, my midi recall brother from another mother.
Really sad to hear.

Your contributions really helped build this forum in the first decade.
Rest in peace Slipp.
Will miss you.
Old 17th January 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
He's from my hometown and I knew him since 1982. Did lighting for one of his bands in the 80s. He was family. The shit we did on the road in the 80s back in the day was unbelievable. To this day I'm surprised no one got hurt! He will be missed.

Helped build Big Blue with him and his wife, and Partners Joe and Tom, in 1999 or so in the old Quantum Recording building at 512 Patterson Plank in Jersey City.

RIP

Last edited by Ricardus; 17th January 2022 at 05:37 PM..
Old 18th January 2022
Founder

Awesome dude and sorely missed

What a bummer....

We once played a covert "manipulate the manipulators" stunt together with Island Records, UK A&R department - got just what we wanted!

Loved that guy!

A lot.

RIP.

Thanks for everything you did here.
Old 18th January 2022
quantum sound ... i'll have to check out the new location. that helmet single has the track off the Crow soundtrack!
Old 19th January 2022
GS Community Manager

RIP Slipperman. He was one of the OGs here and was great fun to have around. Condolences to all friends & family. :(
Old 20th January 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo3 ➑️
One of Utica's talents has joined the cosmic frontiers. Prayers to Family & Friends
https://www.uticaod.com/obituaries/pnys0135877
Old 20th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Beautiful Obit.

And for those who care to hear his voice here's him playing drums, mixing and singing on the very first CAPE song from PSW Basement/Mixerman forum years ago...the lead singer was supposed to be one of the interns there that encountered a rough patch...Tim stepped in and sang his heart out...he mixed all the parts and played drums as well...besides all the magic he was capable of.

Soundcloud link to song
Old 21st January 2022
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
RIP Tim
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman ➑️
Beautiful Obit.

And for those who care to hear his voice here's him playing drums, mixing and singing on the very first CAPE song from PSW Basement/Mixerman forum years ago...the lead singer was supposed to be one of the interns there that encountered a rough patch...Tim stepped in and sang his heart out...he mixed all the parts and played drums as well...besides all the magic he was capable of.

Soundcloud link to song
Thanx for sharing, cool tune! Did he really sing "The Massenburg is burning"?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo ➑️
Thanx for sharing, cool tune! Did he really sing "The Massenburg is burning"?
Yes, unfortunately I was the one who wrote the lyrics...it was based on the flame wars when Massenburg shut down his forum because he got tired of dealing with that crap...most folks don't remember he had a forum at all.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately I was the one who wrote the lyrics...it was based on the flame wars when Massenburg shut down his forum because he got tired of dealing with that crap...most folks don't remember he had a forum at all.
You mean the EQ magazine forums when him, Ed Cherney, and Roger Nichols all had their own forums up there?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardus ➑️
You mean the EQ magazine forums when him, Ed Cherney, and Roger Nichols all had their own forums up there?
It might have been that one, or it may have been on the MPN site...not sure...I just remember there was a bit of a flame war when a certain unnamed mixing enthusiast had his own forum and sort of targeted Georges forums over a disagreement on something trivial like bit depth or some other such nonsense...George himself was not the target but one of the posters was...a persona that went by the handle of "Popstar" who George would not ban...so the forum was flooded with scam accounts like "Popstar 2112" etc...until GM said "enough" and shut it all down.

I won't tell you how I knew the inside truth, but I still have digital records of all of it...it was a weird season on Audio forums and honestly Slipperman pretty much avoided the heavy drama of it all...he was to gregarious to be a real meanie...

So thats the back story to the song...Tim made it work.
Old 22nd January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
It might have been that one, or it may have been on the MPN site...not sure...I just remember there was a bit of a flame war when a certain unnamed mixing enthusiast had his own forum and sort of targeted Georges forums over a disagreement on something trivial like bit depth or some other such nonsense...George himself was not the target but one of the posters was...a persona that went by the handle of "Popstar" who George would not ban...so the forum was flooded with scam accounts like "Popstar 2112" etc...until GM said "enough" and shut it all down.

I won't tell you how I knew the inside truth, but I still have digital records of all of it...it was a weird season on Audio forums and honestly Slipperman pretty much avoided the heavy drama of it all...he was to gregarious to be a real meanie...

So thats the back story to the song...Tim made it work.
George also had a forum at Prosoundweb at some point if my memory serves me. That was so long time ago that I can't remember. Tim sang and mixed another song before yours in one of those CaPE sessions that was about the late Loudist, aka Steve Gursky, who was known for his work with Crosby Stills and Nash brigade. They are both on the other side now and we are just loitering around waiting for our turn to join them.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…