The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP John Sayers
Old 28th September 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
RIP John Sayers

Rip John L. Sayers, legendary Australian audio engineer and studio designer who have helped thousands upon thousands studio builders with design ideas and concepts through his website and Recording Studio Design Forum

From John Sayers personal Facebook page, written by his daughter 26/09/2021.

Today we would like to farewell our father John Linacre Sayers, who peacefully passed away on Tuesday 14 September 2021, aged 76, in his home in Bonalbo NSW.
Dad is survived by his four children Justin, Louise, Madellen and Nancy and his three grandchildren Harry (3), Éléana (2) and Georgie (1).
Dad is also survived by his best mate Red Dog. Red Dog the beautiful red kelpie is an integral part of the Bonalbo community and we are pleased to say will be staying on in Bonalbo as per Dad’s wishes.
Dad arrived in Australia from New Zealand in 1966 and had a stellar career as one of Australia’s pre-eminent recording engineers, producers, educators and studio designers who engineered and/or produced many classic Australian rock, pop and country albums from 1969 to the present and was at the helm in the production of so many iconic Aussie hits.
Dad won awards for his exceptional production work, winning an ARIA for Engineer of the Year in 1974, Best Engineer at the Australian Rock Music Awards in 1977 and finalist for Producer of the Year in 1996 and 1997. Additionally, many of the albums he worked on went on to win ARIA, Tamworth and Country Music Awards.
Dad designed many now-famous Studios including the Music Farm Studio in Bryon Bay, the Beyond 2000 facilities and post-production suite, Charles Sturt University television studio and recording facility (Wagga Wagga), Apocalypse audio post studio, Hello Testing, Cloud Studios, Flying Fox studios and most recently the refurbished Australia National University Music School Recording Studio. His designing taking him all over the world including 3 years living in Dubai.
Dad also created The Recording Manual, a comprehensive manual on how to build your own studio, wire it, and operate it. This proved to be a one-of-a-kind, invaluable manual used by people all around the world and later bought by the School of Audio Engineering in 2001.
In recent years Dad created the leading studio acoustics forum, Recording Studio Design Forum, and has been designing recording studios all over the world from his home in Bonalbo.
Dad moved to Bonalbo in 2008 and his family would like to thank the community of Bonalbo for welcoming and including Dad into their tight-knit community. He loved living there in his little slice of ‘peace and quiet’, feeding the birds on the front veranda, having long chats on the back deck and hammering away on his computer in the office busy chatting to people all over the world and doing what he loved the most, designing.
Dad was cremated on Friday 17 September 2021. His ashes have been taken by his family to Sydney to be scattered at a future date when his family can travel and come together.
This will be the last post and we will be closing Dad’s facebook account soon. If you require any further information please contact John’s daughter, Nancy Hatch via [email protected]
Old 25th June 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
RIP
Old 8th July 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
first of RIP John.

Hello I am hoping I could potentially get some answers here as I have tired a few other places to no avail.

In regards to the Recording Studio Design Forum would anyone know if it has been taken down ? as I can't access it anymore.

and if it is taken down what would be another alternative.

I have sent an email to Nancy Hatch regarding this and its been over 2 weeks and I haven't received a reply since.

if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing thank you
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XfoREVer ➡️
first of RIP John.

Hello I am hoping I could potentially get some answers here as I have tired a few other places to no avail.

In regards to the Recording Studio Design Forum would anyone know if it has been taken down ? as I can't access it anymore.

and if it is taken down what would be another alternative.

I have sent an email to Nancy Hatch regarding this and its been over 2 weeks and I haven't received a reply since.

if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing thank you
Wow! I just realized today the death of John trying to access his (now closed) studio building forum for a question I was wondering... So sad! John was a great guy who shared his time and knowledge with everyone asking. Hoping all the work done and shared in the forum will stay alive somewhere!? There was so much knowledge and valuable information from him. Rest in peace John

Last edited by joeblack007; 2nd August 2022 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: errors
Old 4th August 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Oooh so sad
His forum was awesome and so much kindness and availability from him and other members.. I hope it will reopen elsewhere

I remember I wouldn't have been able to make our mixing room without his help, for sure, RIP John
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My Deepest condolences to John's Family.

I wanted to share that there are snapshots of his website still viewable on way back machine for those still looking for inspiration with their studio designs - https://web.archive.org/web/20220313...nual/index.htm

Hope this is helps.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…