Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
R.I.P. Prince Markie Dee

R.I.P.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think he passed back on Feb 19th. RIP anyway.

I grew up not far from where most of the rappers were from (St. Albans, Brookville, etc.) and I remember one time I saw him and Eric B in a neighborhood diner eating back in the early 80s. I was a teen at the time. I went up to them looking for an autograph and Eric B was a real d o u c h e - flipping out and screaming at me and all this bull. But Prince Markie Dee was like, "Naw man, chill the f**k out - Little man just wants an autograph" and he was really cool about it and signed a napkin for me.

Only time I ever crossed paths with him but he seemed a cool guy.

edit: A close friend of mine worked on their album Crushin' and he had nothing but good things to say about him / The Fat Boys. Told me they were very serious and hard workers.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️

I grew up not far from where most of the rappers were from (St. Albans, Brookville, etc.) and I remember one time I saw him and Eric B in a neighborhood diner eating back in the early 80s. I was a teen at the time. I went up to them looking for an autograph and Eric B was a real d o u c h e - flipping out and screaming at me and all this bull. But Prince Markie Dee was like, "Naw man, chill the f**k out - Little man just wants an autograph" and he was really cool about it and signed a napkin for me.

edit: A close friend of mine worked on their album Crushin' and he had nothing but good things to say about him / The Fat Boys. Told me they were very serious and hard workers.
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Very talented artist.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️

RIP to Markie Dee.
I don't have any Fat Boys stories, but
When I was a kid, a group of us snuck back stage at one of the Fresh Fest concerts to rap for whoever would listen. We crossed paths with Eric and Rakim. (Can't say why I wanted to rap for rappers)

I passed DMC in the tunnel and he didn't speak to me.

There was a group of girls near them and Eric was paying attention to them. Rakim waved him away when Eric wanted to leave and paid attention to me spitting the entire time.

At the moment, it felt like an accomplishment keeping his attention.

Years later, after Hurricane Katrina, I got to hang out with Big Buff's brother in NY through a mutual friend. He seemed to be pretty cool.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…