The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
roland tb3 and accents
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
roland tb3 and accents

after spending some time recording tb3 patterns into ableton and the sending them back into the tb3 I've come to realise that the tb3 doesn't like accepting accent notes from external midi, it cuts the accented notes short! it will receive a slide note with an accent just fine but not a accented note. i then tried plugging a tb3s midi out into another tb3 units midi in and the result is the same, accented notes are cut short and don't sound very pleasing to the earโ€ฆ maybe I'm missing something ??
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
if there's a dedicated accent event, maybe try slipping those so they are before the note event.
other than that option, not sure.
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
its not having it. i can't be the only one to notice this??
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
it may be that my daw has been quantising the cc dataโ€ฆ ill have to look further into it...
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
I'm getting liked a 64th note latency when recording midi notes in
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
hmm, I've tried this on regular mido port on my sound card and usb midi, I'm still getting same amount of midi latency.. whats the fix?
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
this is a common issue, there's some detailed info here: The 303 and MIDI - antonsavov.net
...as well as a test pattern (scroll down to the first picture, the pattern is written in it)

it'd be nice if someone who has a TB-3 (or any other similar 303 clone which isn't listed there) programs the test pattern, records the result in similar conditions as the example recording, then records the generated MIDI data, and then use that data to drive the same clone with it, and re-record the result
it is plain obvious that the TB-3 would probably fail this test, but it's still interesting to see in what way it does (or doesn't)

EDIT: just in case someone really wants to do this test:
don't use a DAW to record the midi data generated by the unit, since some DAWs may (and some really do) reinterpret/filter/reorder the incoming midi data... instead, use a MIDI monitoring app like MIDI-OX and make a screenshot or copy/paste the interesting stuff
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
i have turned on record quantise on in ableton which fixes the note delay, but the accent cc data coming in is still delayed...
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
the laptop I'm using is

MacBook Pro
15-inch Early 2008
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

with ableton 8

and yet if i was to use my ten year old power pc mac tower running cubase the timing its rock solid no matter what
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
- just a side note for all you slating me for running os 10.4.11and cubase 4 i may not be able to run the latest plug ins but the main thing is the midi timing is solid and I'm not upgrading and jinxing it!!
Old 23rd March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
anyway it would seem theres no problem with the tb3. so its either the laptop or ableton 8, I'm not sure what to do at this point..
Old 24th March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
I'm going to try 5 pin midi in and out see if that makes any difference
Old 24th March 2015
Deleted 2ecf148 ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
made no difference
Old 25th March 2015
Deleted ac061cb
it's a known issue, isn't it? i read about it in the sound on sound review.

The TB3's knobs and pad transmit MIDI data. The sequencer outputs notes too so, in theory, you should be able to capture any pattern in your DAW alongside manual tweaks. However, when I tried this and replayed the data back to the TB3, all was not right. Glide had been lost in translation. Since much of the TB303's appeal is based on its glide and accent, I asked Roland about it. The initial response suggested that the sound of the TB3 could not be played back completely from a MIDI sequencer. Apparently the behaviour of the original sequencer was judged to be "complicated and difficult to describe by MIDI signalโ€.

I was baffled. The worn but still game TB303 in my studio had been fitted with the MIDIBass 303 from Sequentix. Its MIDI output has been handled accurately by every clone I've tried, including a Freebass, a MAM FB33 and a X0Xbox. Before my eyebrows set in a permanently furled state, Roland were back in touch, saying they planned to take another look at this for a possible update.

In common with the TR8, the TB3 can function as a 24โ€‘bit USB audio and MIDI interface. Again there isn't a separate volume control for the computer audio and (unlike the drum machine) there are no audio inputs, but such an interface thrown in is hard to complain about. It would be even more versatile if the sequencer's note transmission could be turned off though. Currently it obstructs the function of the MIDI interface when active. Roland have promised to address this.
๐Ÿ“ Reply