Quantcast
Roland TR-8 update 1.1.2 is out! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland TR-8 update 1.1.2 is out!
Old 2nd March 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
kazper's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Roland TR-8 update 1.1.2 is out!

Version 1.12 TR-8 OS

Roland - TR-8 | Rhythm Performer

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TR-8_v112_e.pdf

Looks like a minor fix to bug problems, but progress is progress.

Kaz
Old 2nd March 2015
  #2
Deleted 2ecf148
Guest
i hope they have fixed effect note step!
Old 2nd March 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
ranzee's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Now you can change the operating mode of the pattern sequencer.
* Until Ver. 1.11, the sequencer operated with timing that models
the TR-808.
This could be interesting .... I wonder how much difference it makes. I might make a sequence and play record it under both settings and play it back to see ..

Australian site isn't updated yet: http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/product...1314/downloads

Last edited by ranzee; 2nd March 2015 at 02:29 PM..
Old 2nd March 2015
  #4
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Nice one Roland for keep on improving the Aira stuff!

(By the way Roland ; Being able to copy form A > B in the future is something that would make some of us happy....)

Curious if you will hear this 808 pattern behavior..

In one of the first updates there was an under the hood setting (PAD 16 on/off)
where one could choose between tight or sloppy midi.. never heard the difference tbh..
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio ➡️
Curious if you will hear this 808 pattern behavior..

In one of the first updates there was an under the hood setting (PAD 16 on/off)
where one could choose between tight or sloppy midi.. never heard the difference tbh..
i think the sloppy midi is the same as 808 pattern behavior.
you won't really hear it but if you zoom in on the waves / midi notes you will see the slight timing differences.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
channaD's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
What would help out a lot is having some sort of power system, kinda like what they have for guitar pedal boards. I'll have to take extra power strips just to power all 4 aira boxes. Very lame. I hope they address this in the near future.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
What exactly is this "timing that models the TR808" ?
Old 2nd March 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Still no pattern change via MIDI :(
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefkes ➡️
What exactly is this "timing that models the TR808" ?
tr808, at least mine, timing slightly fluctuates. they tried to emulate this with the tr8. now you can turn it off without going under the hood it seems. handy for when you need it to stay exactly on the grid.
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefkes ➡️
What exactly is this "timing that models the TR808" ?
This video explains it a bit:



Innerclock did their litmus on it and found that, by default:

"Even with Swing set at Centre/Zero the TR-8 has a significant 16th swing - mostly very accurate but pushing and pulling by 50 samples (1.04ms) either way against a straight grid with a slight wobble at the Pattern A/Pattern B transition point."

They also tested the TR-808 (scroll down on the same page). Roland don't kid around with emulations:
Internal sync, maximum variation between any two consecutive Sixteenth Event intervals:
TR-808 = 99 Samples [2.06ms]
TR-8 = 101 Samples [2.10ms]


(External sync is different however: TR-808 gets tighter, TR-8 remains as is, or worse in one of the cases)
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya ➡️
tr808, at least mine, timing slightly fluctuates. they tried to emulate this with the tr8. now you can turn it off without going under the hood it seems. handy for when you need it to stay exactly on the grid.
You have to switch it under the hood..
(while holding down the (PTN SELECT) button, turn on the power) = under the hood, no?

I will perform the update tonight…

Do you guys think this is exactly the same as the hidden feature explained in the youtube video above? I’m curious if it’s actually the same because now you have to change it with step button 7 and before it was with step button 16..Could it be that they just change the step button to change this mode? In that case it’s a lame update me thinks…Anyway, will check it out tonight..
Hopefully more kits and FX etc in the future..
Old 6th March 2015 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio ➡️
Do you guys think this is exactly the same as the hidden feature explained in the youtube video above?
pretty sure it's the same.
Old 29th June 2015
  #13
Gear Head
 
Toby Dammit's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Hello there!

I never updated my TR-8, and I want to but it seems there's only the latest version on the Roland website (1.12). My machine tells it has the 1.02 installed. Do I need to install all the updates in between?

Thanks!
Old 29th June 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
kazper's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
No, just install the latest
Old 30th June 2015
  #15
Gear Head
 
Toby Dammit's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Great, thanks! It's updated and it works, now I can buy the 7x7 expansion.
Old 30th June 2015 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik ➡️
Still no pattern change via MIDI :(
The fact that Roland has not added this feature yet is completely idiotic. It is a no brainer to add a feature to the TR8 midi spec that would allow pattern changes via midi(seeing as how they completely ignored adding a track mode).
Old 30th June 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Yeah I've complained about it frequently and loudly to Roland and their response has been "**** you we still makin' bank".

Unfortunately, I doubt any feature additions will be forthcoming at this point beyond new sound banks for the TR-8. There have been a couple of firmware revisions, which is nice of Roland to bother, but they tend to move on pretty quickly. Feature upgrades are pretty rare after a year of product lifetime and the probability of more decreases as time goes on.

The sad part of it is that adding this change is probably quite simple in terms of the firmware code. But, like any project, features have to be prioritized and I guess this one was way down the list or not present at all. Leaving out pattern change via MIDI, which effectively eliminates the use of "scenes" or synchronized pattern changes (essential for complex live setups) seems like a glaring omission for a product geared toward "live performance".

Last edited by StepLogik; 30th June 2015 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 30th June 2015 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik ➡️
Yeah I've complained about it frequently and loudly to Roland and their response has been "**** you we still makin' bank".

Unfortunately, I doubt any feature additions will be forthcoming at this point beyond new sound banks for the TR-8. There have been a couple of firmware revisions, which is nice of Roland to bother, but they tend to move on pretty quickly. Feature upgrades are pretty rare after a year of product lifetime and the probably of more decreases as time goes on.

The sad part of it is that adding this change is probably quite simple in terms of the firmware code. But, like any project, features have to be prioritized and I guess this one was way down the list or not present at all. Leaving out pattern change via MIDI, which effectively eliminates the use of "scenes" or synchronized pattern changes (essential for complex live setups) seems like a glaring omission for a product geared toward "live performance".
It pretty much kills the usefulness of this product for me. I'd like to be able program patterns within the TR8, and have my MPC3000 send program changes when the patterns change. I figured this would be a really easy thing to do(and Roland would have accounted for it since there is no song mode). I was shocked when I went over the TR8 midi spec and this feature was nowhere to be found.

The reason why Roland sucks as a company is that they always find a way to **** you unless you are spending $3000 on a workstation keyboard. Rather than making a tool that does one function well, they shave important features off.
Old 30th June 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? ➡️
The reason why Roland sucks as a company is that they always find a way to **** you unless you are spending $3000 on a workstation keyboard. Rather than making a tool that does one function well, they shave important features off.
When my Beatstep Pro shows up next year, I'm going to try sequencing all my Aira boxes from it and see how things go. The boxes respond to MIDI note data quickly so while it won't be as tight as the internal sequencer, I'm hoping it will at least be "good enough".

As a former owner of 2 Roland Workstation keyboards (Fantom Xa, Fantom G6) they find a way to **** you on those too The G was laden with bugs and Roland basically did nothing about it - they already had everyone's money so why spend more R&D dollars on bugfixing?

Last edited by StepLogik; 30th June 2015 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Added quote
Old 2nd July 2015
  #20
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
I am more or less in a similar position. I have the whole Aira line and I love mixing everything and playing in MX-1, but I am looking to record and arrange tracks in something other than my laptop. Could the Beatstep Pro be such a solution? I see that it records, could that work for whole tracks? I have been looking in the Octatrak which is seems complex or the Electribe S2 also.

(I am relative noob, but long time DJ) I am making some great stuff with the Aira gear but want to take the recording and arranging of it OTB. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 2nd July 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I wouldn't recommend the BSP for full track production. I'd look into a more traditional multi-track hardware sequencer. There are numerous threads about the various models. The MMT-8 is a great sequencer for a beginner.
Old 2nd July 2015 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik ➡️
I wouldn't recommend the BSP for full track production. I'd look into a more traditional multi-track hardware sequencer. There are numerous threads about the various models. The MMT-8 is a great sequencer for a beginner.
Thanks, I will keep researching.
Old 6th August 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Totally off topic:

Why doesn't Roland release a plugin editor for the TR-8. Kind of like the Virus TI series. That way, we could monitor and edit the TR-8 through USB instead of the strange option of using it as a sound card (96KHz only is strange too). Firmware 2.0?
Old 6th August 2015 | Show parent
  #24
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy ➡️
Totally off topic:

Why doesn't Roland release a plugin editor for the TR-8. Kind of like the Virus TI series. That way, we could monitor and edit the TR-8 through USB instead of the strange option of using it as a sound card (96KHz only is strange too). Firmware 2.0?
Because they are Roland and you are just a hooked customer. (like me) It's all about what they want to do and if you're lucky about what you want when they allow it.
Old 6th August 2015 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
Because they are Roland and you are just a hooked customer. (like me) It's all about what they want to do and if you're lucky about what you want when they allow it.
Fair enough... but it would be a major incentive for people to buy more TR-8's, if they simply released an editor with audio through USB capabilities. The plug in would look like the TR-8 and all sliders and knobs would sync up from device to plugin. You would be able to automate everything from your daw...

Oh well.
Old 6th August 2015 | Show parent
  #26
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy ➡️
Fair enough... but it would be a major incentive for people to buy more TR-8's, if they simply released an editor with audio through USB capabilities. The plug in would look like the TR-8 and all sliders and knobs would sync up from device to plugin. You would be able to automate everything from your daw...

Oh well.
I'm half joking.

In all seriousness the TR8 is awesome! One of my favorite pieces of gear! Yes room for improvement though to make it even better.
Old 15th August 2015
  #27
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Anyone know where to pickup the right coloured knobs and sliders for the TR8 ? I notice KINK has changed some of his

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbmi1JUJ93Y

https://mobile.twitter.com/roland_au...09516933095424
Old 15th August 2015
  #28
Old 15th August 2015 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Addict
 
an_expresso's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diel ➡️
Anyone know where to pickup the right coloured knobs and sliders for the TR8 ? I notice KINK has changed some of his

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbmi1JUJ93Y

https://mobile.twitter.com/roland_au...09516933095424
They got them from roland, dj pierre has some too.
Old 15th August 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Paradigm X's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy ➡️
Totally off topic:

Why doesn't Roland release a plugin editor for the TR-8. Kind of like the Virus TI series. That way, we could monitor and edit the TR-8 through USB instead of the strange option of using it as a sound card (96KHz only is strange too). Firmware 2.0?
Because they are Roland and you are just a hooked customer. (like me) It's all about what they want to do and if you're lucky about what you want when they allow it.
does raise a kind of interesting point.

in 'the old days' manufacturers tried to predict what people wanted, with varying success.

These days its trying to gauge a million and one pre-emptive requests. and not pleasing anybody!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 708 views: 85220
Avatar for jbuonacc
jbuonacc 3rd January 2021
replies: 12110 views: 1482500
Avatar for SNOKing
SNOKing 12th February 2021
replies: 59 views: 13497
Avatar for J Gabriel
J Gabriel 30th September 2020
replies: 2 views: 1078
Avatar for ibtl
ibtl 14th August 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump