The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lo-fi reverb rack units with character?
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Some years ago I posted here about purchasing the Alesis XT and I don't think I showed much love for it. Now, a few years down the road the XT is in my regular rotation with the SDR1000 and DRV1000. These 3 boxes are must haves IMO. I use and love them very much. Each has its own tasty personality and that lofi character in different dimensions. I still has 2 DRV1000s and have been contemplating a 3rd.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
Some years ago I posted here about purchasing the Alesis XT and I don't think I showed much love for it. Now, a few years down the road the XT is in my regular rotation with the SDR1000 and DRV1000. These 3 boxes are must haves IMO. I use and love them very much. Each has its own tasty personality and that lofi character in different dimensions. I still has 2 DRV1000s and have been contemplating a 3rd.
Good taste. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Good taste. :-)
Thank you sir.

Inspired by this thread I bought a Yamaha EME-1 but it arrived just prior to moving and hasn't been unpacked and setup yet (I forgot about it). I'll report back on it once it's in use.

Attached Thumbnails
Lo-fi reverb rack units with character?-20210307_102257_hdr.jpg  
Old 7th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just wanted to add that my Korg KP1, modded by circuit benders.co.uk, is now a CHAMPION reverb, the sample rate knob let’s you get wonderful, long, lofi verbs.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Coincidentally I just picked up a DRV-1000 on a whim last night, mostly off the back of how much love you've shown for it in various posts over the years

It'll be going alongside an Ibanez DM-1000 (which annoyingly has two non-original knobs that really wind me up) and a Yamaha R-1000. I'm starting to wonder whether I really just like gritty 80s effects units with the number 1000 in the name.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by untune ➡️
Coincidentally I just picked up a DRV-1000 on a whim last night, mostly off the back of how much love you've shown for it in various posts over the years

It'll be going alongside an Ibanez DM-1000 (which annoyingly has two non-original knobs that really wind me up) and a Yamaha R-1000. I'm starting to wonder whether I really just like gritty 80s effects units with the number 1000 in the name.
You're not alone. SDR1000 and DRV1000 here, but my DM is an 1100....
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
You're not alone. SDR1000 and DRV1000 here, but my DM is an 1100....
Now I know there's a 1000 I don't have, down the rabbit hole I go

I almost got a DM-1100 last year but I think the price was a bit more than I was willing to go for, and the DM-1000 was available to scratch the itch at just the right time haha. I really wanted the Korg SDD-1000 to round the collection off but that one was proving hard to track down!

I have the Ibanez DM-2000 is on the list too, but again, it seems to be an elusive beast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by untune ➡️

I also still use my DM-1000 regularly. Great source of unusual samples. It's become wedded to my Stylophone GEN-R8 lately. Nice symbiosis there.

I'm sure you'll come to adore the DRV in short order. If not I'll buy it off you
Old 12th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone know if the Yamaha Rev7 is an R-1000 with more presets? Is the EQ the same on these? Do they have the same sound quality?
Old 12th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➡️
Anyone know if the Yamaha Rev7 is an R-1000 with more presets? Is the EQ the same on these? Do they have the same sound quality?
Acreil will know.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Other than the fact they are both Yamaha units from the early to mid 1980s they are actually pretty different. While they are both "Low-Fi" by todays standards the Rev7 is way more editable

Yamaha sold a ton of Rev7 units due to the integration with the DX7, relatively affordable cost and MIDI support. Every live sound company and studio has multiples of them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The R1000 is completely different from any other Yamaha reverb. It's basically the reverb section from the FX-1/FX-20 Electones.
Old 15th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yamaha R-1000 is probably one of the worst early and affordable digi reverbs.
Solton and Monacor had some pretty bad sounding boxes, too.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
This nicely done video has me looking at the Microverb 4 with some interest I haven't had before.

Any fans or admirers of this rather generic looking unit from Alesis?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This nicely done video has me looking at the Microverb 4 with some interest I haven't had before.

Any fans or admirers of this rather generic looking unit from Alesis?
Sounds nice, but, to the best of my knowledge, for this sort of thing it isn't the particular reverb model but rather the pitch modulation that a few manufacturers (including alesis) have applied to their reverbs.

Look at the manuals, and if they mention some esoteric parameter (often called "swirl" or something like that) it may be a detune thing - and detuning and reverberating a signal gives those otherworldly reverb washes, that some love and others not. (Me, i like them)

I have not looked into it in detail, but i think that Alesis actually has detuning in all of their reverbs, including the budget units, where Lexicon does not have detuning in the lower end reverbs.

tldr - if you look at the tiniest of Alesises, you may also look at some of the other models, they will probably have an approximation of that sound onboard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➡️
Sounds nice, but, to the best of my knowledge, for this sort of thing it isn't the particular reverb model but rather the pitch modulation that a few manufacturers (including alesis) have applied to their reverbs.

Look at the manuals, and if they mention some esoteric parameter (often called "swirl" or something like that) it may be a detune thing - and detuning and reverberating a signal gives those otherworldly reverb washes, that some love and others not. (Me, i like them)

I have not looked into it in detail, but i think that Alesis actually has detuning in all of their reverbs, including the budget units, where Lexicon does not have detuning in the lower end reverbs.

tldr - if you look at the tiniest of Alesises, you may also look at some of the other models, they will probably have an approximation of that sound onboard...
I'm vaguely aware of the detuning thing but it's not an important factor at the moment. I have the popular Midiverb II and like it very much but I'm curious about the less popular Alesis models that are still cheap.
My use cases include an external reverb for the Hydrasynth since I find that on-board reverb rather characterless and plain.
And also I'll soon be working with a new vocalist and have some ideas for filtering reverb tails I'd like to try on this person.
The microverb 4 strikes me as being bright and dense enough for this.

And importantly still affordable. Plus I'm also curious about the distortion in its list of effects programs but couldn't find any demo of this...

So any 1st hand experiences are a big help. As are recommendations for units suitable to these use-cases.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➡️

Not all Alesises have pitch modulation. I know that the original Midiverb and Midiverb II don't have pitch modulation, which contributes to their awesomely cold reverb sound. The Quadraverbs, Midiverb IV, and Wedge definitely have pitch modulation. Not sure about the Microverbs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does spring reverb count?
The Korg GR1 is super nice! Stereo spring reverb with gate and eq. Its always plugged on the sends of my mixer.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
Not all Alesises have pitch modulation. I know that the original Midiverb and Midiverb II don't have pitch modulation, which contributes to their awesomely cold reverb sound. The Quadraverbs, Midiverb IV, and Wedge definitely have pitch modulation. Not sure about the Microverbs.
Gotta say Sean sending Valhalla Shimmer in Mono and using its pitch shifting feedback tools out to a MVII on one of the Bloom algos is pure awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
That settles it then. Looks like I'm getting a 2nd Midiverb II. Thanks
Now there’s a blast from the past. I hd one of these with my old EMT10!!!
I recall it fondly, and highly “signatured” and distinctive
Quote:
Thank you sir.

Inspired by this thread I bought a Yamaha EME-1 but it arrived just prior to moving and hasn't been unpacked and setup yet (I forgot about it). I'll report back on it once it's in use.

📝 Reply