Behringer DeepMind 12 - Page 603 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer DeepMind 12
Old 3rd October 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog ➡️
Hey, thanks.

But the old problem: How to review/rehearse a sysex bank without overwriting the bank on the synth (in this case H).

Is there meanwhile a good editor which loads a sysex bank into its own memory and then you can rehearse patch for patch from there?

The Behringer editor cannot load sysex banks, correct?
There's a folder called PHAT12 which holds the banks for the Behringer editor, and they are just SysEx format. I am on a Mac and it is in User>Library>PHAT12>banks

It may possibly be a hidden folder.

If you put the Sysex in there and then open the Behringer editor you should see it. You can then just double click on each sound and it will load to the buffer on the DM12. It will only stay on the DM12 if you save it using the function on the synth itself, or you can select the patch on the left, one from the synth on the right and then click to copy across.

The problem is, that for some people (me included) doing so messes up the pitch bend settings of a patch (reverses them normally). But you should be fin for auditioning.

You could also copy the whole bank to a different bank on the DM12 and then export that as Sysex as well.

Hope that all makes sense?
Old 4th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by resomonics ➡️
There's a folder called PHAT12 which holds the banks for the Behringer editor, and they are just SysEx format. I am on a Mac and it is in User>Library>PHAT12>banks

Yeah, I had to reveal it in my VIEW settings. "Hidden Items." I'm on Windows. Here's how the path looks on mine.

Lives for gear

Quote:

If you put the Sysex in there and then open the Behringer editor you should see it. You can then just double click on each sound and it will load to the buffer on the DM12. It will only stay on the DM12 if you save it using the function on the synth itself, or you can select the patch on the left, one from the synth on the right and then click to copy across.

The problem is, that for some people (me included) doing so messes up the pitch bend settings of a patch (reverses them normally). But you should be fin for auditioning.

You could also copy the whole bank to a different bank on the DM12 and then export that as Sysex as well.

Ah brilliant! That will make it incredibly easy to manage, cheers.
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hi, very thanks.
Works great.

I haven't played the DM12 for some time, so I lost some information.

If I remember correctly: The real problem was if you have a sysex of a single patch.
This you cannot load as you like.

br

PS:
And yes. I also have the problem with the reversed pitch bend range.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi. Not sure if anyone is interested in these, but for a project I am working on, I decided to have a go at recreating all of the original 128 patches from the Juno-106 on my Deepmind. So, I thought I would make them available to download in case anyone else finds them useful!

You can read more info and download here: http://www.resomonics.co.uk/Products..._Deepmind.html

Basically I used the Starsky Carr video as the starting point for setting up a default patch, then used the Juno-106 Librarian app with factory patches to get the rough sound, and then listened to the Synthmania 106 demos and tweaked until they sounded similar. When chorus was needed I used setting from a previous page of this thread.

Anyway, they aren't by any means an exact match, but close enough for what I needed, so feel free to grab them if you want!

Cheers.
Once again, many thanks.
Now I had listened to some patches.
Awesome sounds and the Deepmind is really a worthy successor in the line of Juno.

Best poly synth for money (but only 4 octaves, come on Behringer!).

br
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi. Not sure if anyone is interested in these, but for a project I am working on, I decided to have a go at recreating all of the original 128 patches from the Juno-106 on my Deepmind. So, I thought I would make them available to download in case anyone else finds them useful!

You can read more info and download here: http://www.resomonics.co.uk/Products..._Deepmind.html

Basically I used the Starsky Carr video as the starting point for setting up a default patch, then used the Juno-106 Librarian app with factory patches to get the rough sound, and then listened to the Synthmania 106 demos and tweaked until they sounded similar. When chorus was needed I used setting from a previous page of this thread.

Anyway, they aren't by any means an exact match, but close enough for what I needed, so feel free to grab them if you
Cheers.
Definitely inspired me to do some 80ies stuff.
Deepmind on the pad sound of one of those presets. Thanks again @ resomonics so much for your efforts. The chorus is not quite as fat as the original, but hey, it's quite lush.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman ➡️
Deepmind on the pad sound of one of those presets. Thanks again @ resomonics so much for your efforts. The chorus is not quite as fat as the original, but hey, it's quite lush.
Nice
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman ➡️
Nice a bit OT but as an owner of both how do you rate the Model D vs the SE-02? I have the D and think it's great, but my sporadic output doesn't entirely mesh well with its lack of patch saving, I've been wondering if the boutique would serve me better (if there isn't too great a difference in sound).
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Nut

I've been trying to use Midi-OX to get banks from my PC onto the DM12. When I hit send the bar just goes very slowly and then nothing happens on the DM12 end.

Are there some settings I may be missing in midi-ox that the DM needs?

Is there a button to hit on the DM12 before sending a bank to it or can you do it any time?

It is extremely annoying that they didn't make the simple addition to the editor to save and load banks to DM12 memory so I'm stuck using Midi-OX.

Thanks for any help.
Old 6th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn78 ➡️
I've been trying to use Midi-OX to get banks from my PC onto the DM12...
Are there some settings I may be missing in midi-ox that the DM needs?
Maybe. I couldn't get it to work either - I use Bome's SendSX for that now, instead (https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx).

About 3 days, and one page ago, I posted this (shorter version), starting with how to back up the existing bank H:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower ➡️
dump the bank, e.g. with Bome's SendSX (if you use Windows), and use the same thing to send the new bank, or send the dumped one back again.

The sysex commands to do it are in the manual. For example, this should work for the DeepMind 6 (which is what I have) but you need to change the device ID to match what you have (see the bulk dump section of the manual) :

// PROGRAM DUMP REQUEST
//
F0
00 20 32 // Behringer Manufacturers ID
20 // DeepMind 6 Model ID (change this for a DM 12 - see the manual)
00 // 0d Device ID ( 0-15, usually zero, unless you connect more than one )
09 // Bank Dump Request
07 // 0b Bank Number (0-7 => A-H)
00 // first Program Number (0-127)
7F // last Program Number (0-127)
F7

- That can be pasted into the MIDI Out window of Bome's SendSX - you can even leave the comments in. You then choose the MIDI devices for In and Out, and press Send.

The synth responds by sending a dump, which appears in the MIDI In window. Use the File menu to select "Save MIDI In as...", and save your dump.

Now use the file menu to load the new bank, then send that to the synth.

FWIW, when I tried it with MIDI-OX, with an edit buffer dump, it didn't work. I suspect it's because Behringer use packed/compressed sysex, instead of sticking to 7 bit values. I might not have the latest version of MIDI-OX though, so possibly they fixed it.
To send a bank with Bome's SendSX, just open the .syx file from the file menu, check the MIDI devices are set right, and press Send.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Nut

Hi all, I'm currently looking at getting a synth for pads/ambient music. I currently own a bassstation2 which is fine for leads and bass, but obviously not really suited for pads and such! Been very inspired lately by Thom Yorke's last album Anima with some really gorgeous pad sounds, and very recently Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds newest album, Ghosteen, which is all ambient soundscapes and stuff. The Deepmind 12 was suggested as an option on Reddit, what are peoples thoughts on it for this kind of application?
Old 7th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is extremely annoying that they didn't make the simple addition to the editor to save and load banks to DM12 memory so I'm stuck using Midi-OX.
Unless I'm mistaking what you mean, the editor can save and load banks from the DM - the first 8 banks on both sides of the preset manager are the ones on the synth, all the ones below that are the ones on your PC (and are stored in the directory that was mentioned earlier in this thread) To move a bank from PC to the synth, click on it in the preset manager (doesn't matter which side), and then on the other side, click on which synth bank A-H you want to overwrite. Then, click "copy to right" or "copy to left" as appropriate and it will do it (note that it needs to be the copy buttons in the middle of the screen, the ones at the bottom are for individual patches).

To overwrite a bank on the PC with a bank from your synth, just do the reverse. To copy a bank from the synth to the PC without overwriting another bank, select it and click "duplicate bank".

Behringer DeepMind 12-dmbank.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer DeepMind 12-dmbank.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillyoung ➡️
Hi all, I'm currently looking at getting a synth for pads/ambient music. I currently own a bassstation2 which is fine for leads and bass, but obviously not really suited for pads and such! Been very inspired lately by Thom Yorke's last album Anima with some really gorgeous pad sounds, and very recently Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds newest album, Ghosteen, which is all ambient soundscapes and stuff. The Deepmind 12 was suggested as an option on Reddit, what are peoples thoughts on it for this kind of application?
The Deepmind is very capable. The factory presets are so so, but there are some really great sound sets available. You should listen to some of these and decide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqSLpXilwA (Deep Impressions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokyXDQ9EVE (Geosynths)

https://youtu.be/9YhZpA4Tnoo (PULSE)

https://youtu.be/Ynm44MeqPfk (Classic Analog)

https://youtu.be/BfAwIuQKOdc (Ultimate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJqM0wlMBw (Alba Ecstasy)

Last edited by Scoopicman; 7th October 2019 at 10:34 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillyoung ➡️
As I've personally found in the last few weeks, it has some incredibly complex possibilities in it, and can do things that I haven't seen in any other synth, including VSTs, but you do have to work to find them. I would say that its sweet spots aren't gigantic, and it's easy to make it sound bad, so maybe isn't the best choice if you're relatively new to synthesis, compared with something like a Minilogue which is easy to get sounding good with *relatively* basic sounds but has a bit of a glass ceiling in terms of modulation. I think it was my 3rd or 4th hardware synth purchase and it's taken 6 months of on-and-off tweaking (mostly off tbh) to finally get into the groove with it.

Best piece of advice I can pass along with basically any synth is to delete all of the presets off it as early as you can. Took a while to realise I was avoiding doing too much sound design with it as every patch (or iteration of a patch) I wanted to save required me to flip past every half-useful sounding stock patch until I found a really dodgy one I felt it was safe to overwrite - ended up with my patches scattered around the place and impossible to remember where they all were! I've been ten times more prolific with it since starting over with a blank slate, and much more organised.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb ➡️
Unless I'm mistaking what you mean, the editor can save and load banks from the DM - the first 8 banks on both sides of the preset manager are the ones on the synth, all the ones below that are the ones on your PC (and are stored in the directory that was mentioned earlier in this thread) To move a bank from PC to the synth, click on it in the preset manager (doesn't matter which side), and then on the other side, click on which synth bank A-H you want to overwrite. Then, click "copy to right" or "copy to left" as appropriate and it will do it (note that it needs to be the copy buttons in the middle of the screen, the ones at the bottom are for individual patches).

To overwrite a bank on the PC with a bank from your synth, just do the reverse. To copy a bank from the synth to the PC without overwriting another bank, select it and click "duplicate bank".

strangely this doesn't work either.

I hit copy and in the editor the bank has a completion bar that goes all the way, and on the right side the bank shows loaded.

But then as soon as I double click on a patch on the right side, it just reverts back to what it last was (blue dolphin or whatever).

I feel like the DM just does not take the changes from my PC. and the editor thinks it did.
Old 8th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
strangely this doesn't work either.

I hit copy and in the editor the bank has a completion bar that goes all the way, and on the right side the bank shows loaded.
I just shot this, quickly, with my GoPro. Hopefully, it helps.

DM12 Bank loading on PC.

If you aren't seeing any connection, use a different (sometimes shorter) USB cable. I've had to do that quite a bit with my gear.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Loopop made a Deepmind 12 tutorial/overview/tips video

Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman ➡️
I just shot this, quickly, with my GoPro. Hopefully, it helps.

DM12 Bank loading on PC.

If you aren't seeing any connection, use a different (sometimes shorter) USB cable. I've had to do that quite a bit with my gear.
Thanks very much Scoopicman.

That's exactly what I was doing and it wasn't working.

I checked the firmware on my new DM and it was out of date. After updating to 1.1.2, I repeated per your process and Lo and behold, it worked!

So: to anyone having issues with transfers, check your firmware rev!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid ➡️

He must have reviewed it bloomin intensely, only took him a couple of years!

Old 8th October 2019
Deleted 1299183
I've been looking for a new poly. I've thought of and repeatedly dropped the idea of the Deepmind for close to a year. Then I found out yesterday that is has aftertouch (how I missed this, I have no idea). Spent last night going through a few demo videos and checking classifieds for one well-priced. Then this morning, as if Satan himself was stalking me and my wallet before I feel asleep, I woke up and saw Loopop's Deepmind 12 review.

That's a sign. Grabbing the Deepmind. Something about the really classy design but striking red cheeks make sit visually a stunner. Sound is top-notch and it really isn't hard to navigate around. It'll fit in my setup pretty easily. What has really sold me is the fact that while it does model after a Juno (which I find boring), it goes much further with the sound, making it something much more modern and unique. Just wish the chorus was better.

It also has Midi Thru.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid ➡️

This is excellent.
Old 9th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisternz ➡️
This is excellent.
I've learned more about the synth the half hour or so of that video than I have over the last two year owning the Deepmind. He explains things really well. This is a must see video for anyone owning or wanting to own a Deepmind.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho ➡️
I've been looking for a new poly. I've thought of and repeatedly dropped the idea of the Deepmind for close to a year. Then I found out yesterday that is has aftertouch (how I missed this, I have no idea). Spent last night going through a few demo videos and checking classifieds for one well-priced. Then this morning, as if Satan himself was stalking me and my wallet before I feel asleep, I woke up and saw Loopop's Deepmind 12 review.

That's a sign. Grabbing the Deepmind. Something about the really classy design but striking red cheeks make sit visually a stunner. Sound is top-notch and it really isn't hard to navigate around. It'll fit in my setup pretty easily. What has really sold me is the fact that while it does model after a Juno (which I find boring), it goes much further with the sound, making it something much more modern and unique. Just wish the chorus was better.

It also has Midi Thru.
I think the DM chorus is underrated, it sounds awesome to me. In a blind test with Juno chorus almost nobody but a handful of purists would know, and in a mix probably nobody would know.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think the DM chorus is underrated, it sounds awesome to me. In a blind test with Juno chorus almost nobody but a handful of purists would know, and in a mix probably nobody would know.
As I have noted before, IMO the DM effects section is simply unparalleled. They said they included 4 effects engines and they weren't kidding. These are 4 rack quality effects units and there are no limits on how you combine them. Simply awesome effects. The pitch shifting effects are like velvet.
Deleted 1299183
Quote:
I’m def not a purist, but I am a chorus junkie. The chorus is far from trash on the DM, but I do think it should’ve been much better than a ported-over effect. Some new algo exclusive to the deepmind or even a firmware update with a new algo would be appreciated, but what is available isn’t bad.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Head

This is a post over on the Deepmind Facebook group:

"I don’t know if this is news or not but, a few weeks ago I was talking to a friend at GC about the DeepMind and he they were selling off their floor models and stock because there’s a new model coming out.
Obviously products get replaced and this would seem to be on the normal schedule but, I wonder what URI has up hid sleeve. I’d like it to have a full color, high res screen."

Just wondering if anyone on here has any idea if this can be true? I'd be pretty disappointed if so, having bought a brand new DM12 within the past month or so.

Somehow, I suspect it's not true. I can't see that Behringer would be spending time and money developing a mk2 of the Deepmind alongside all the other releases they have going on right now, especially when it's such a remarkably great (and, I would guess, successful) synth already.

I mean, realistically, aside from one or two slight tweaks, what is there to improve on it? Of course it could have additional waveforms and maybe multi-timbrality, etc., but that would take it away from the Juno-on-steroids ethos into completely different territory. That, to me, wouldn't be a DM12 mk2, it would just be a different synth.
Deleted d6ffc70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottolom ➡️
This is a post over on the Deepmind Facebook group:

"I don’t know if this is news or not but, a few weeks ago I was talking to a friend at GC about the DeepMind and he they were selling off their floor models and stock because there’s a new model coming out.
Obviously products get replaced and this would seem to be on the normal schedule but, I wonder what URI has up hid sleeve. I’d like it to have a full color, high res screen."

Just wondering if anyone on here has any idea if this can be true? I'd be pretty disappointed if so, having bought a brand new DM12 within the past month or so.

Somehow, I suspect it's not true. I can't see that Behringer would be spending time and money developing a mk2 of the Deepmind alongside all the other releases they have going on right now, especially when it's such a remarkably great (and, I would guess, successful) synth already.

I mean, realistically, aside from one or two slight tweaks, what is there to improve on it? Of course it could have additional waveforms and maybe multi-timbrality, etc., but that would take it away from the Juno-on-steroids ethos into completely different territory. That, to me, wouldn't be a DM12 mk2, it would just be a different synth.
There are a bunch of new Behringer synths headed to market as well as new synths by Roland, Yamaha, and others.

Would make more sense to free up space for those

If Behringer were to anything with the Deep Mind I would think it would be to make a stripped down version to be more like a classic Juno for say $399
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
There are a bunch of new Behringer synths headed to market as well as new synths by Roland, Yamaha, and others.

Would make more sense to free up space for those

If Behringer were to anything with the Deep Mind I would think it would be to make a stripped down version to be more like a classic Juno for say $399
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. I guess a cheaper, stripped down version which doesn't do much more than an old-fashioned Juno would sell by the bucketload.

If they do go down that route, though, I'll still be keeping my Deepmind
Deleted 1299183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottolom ➡️
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. I guess a cheaper, stripped down version which doesn't do much more than an old-fashioned Juno would sell by the bucketload.

If they do go down that route, though, I'll still be keeping my Deepmind
A version like that would cut into the sales of the OG DeepMind 12. All of the sudden, the segment of the market that has their own pedals (serious synth dudes and guitar players) or don't understand how important onboard fx are (synth noobs looking for a good entry level @ Reta il) would pick up the version that, to them, has all the meat with no fat. Behringer loses sales there.

And then Behringer risks introducing a true-to-blue Juno clone which will immediately be compared to the Roland. If the chorus and noise are off, no dice.
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, maybe they're gonna bring out a new top level synth with 3 or 4 osc, more waveforms and multitimbrality, who knows?
Could be a new top seller for them.
I suspect that beside the clones they want to bring out something new every now and then.
They have a big, modern plant and the knowhow so why not?
📝 Reply