Quantcast
Behringer DeepMind 12 - Page 309 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer DeepMind 12
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul ➡️
I do agree with you in terms of sound, No demo of it has blown me away in the same way the DSI OB 6 does for example, its good, its versitile, its useful but its just don;t turn me on.... of course the price is attractive.. its the small family hatchback of synths.... not a beat up old mustang that will always break down or a shiny new audi....
That is a fun analogy...

The OB-6 sounds good to me if not a bit edgy, although I have not heard one in person. It seems to have an overall sound character that is evident in all of the demos I have heard. Similarly, that is how I feel about my Matrix 6, it has a specific sound character that is always present, whether you want it there or not. There is such a premium price on the DSI synths, that definitely puts me off a bit.

I like the overall "package" of the DeepMind 12, which is a combination of the sound, versatility, quality on-board effects (modulatable), price, hardware interface, built-in wi-fi with iPad integration, etc. Seems like an instrument that I can be instantly productive with... which is important, since my goal is to produce finished musical works.
Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee ➡️
Quite concerned about the noise issue raised in the SOS review. Would have thought such things would have been sorted for the review units. Surprising. Fingers crossed it's been sorted. The screen was criticised in the SOS review too, personally doesn't bother me. If I can survive Elektron units I think I can live with this screen!
Well he said they told him it would be lowered by 6dB, that's a reasonable amount cough cough. It's a demo unit, lots of stuff on pre production units were different from what is going to hit the shops.

He didn't slate / criticise the screen either, i wish people wouldn't spread nonsense.

"Moreover, the monochrome 128 x 96 screen is far from cutting-edge, and how the draft manual can call it “large” in 2016 escapes me. Apparently, there was a discussion within Behringer about replacing it with a full-colour TFT display but, for both cost and development time reasons, the company decided to stick with the existing device and, to be fair, it does the job. "

Let's focus on the last part of the final sentence here....... TO BE FAIR IT DOES THE JOB. Where I come from that's not criticism, that's being realistic.
..Just trying to add to the discussion and not intending to spread 'nonsense'

The review has a pros and a cons section. Under the cons it says "the screen is antediluvian.' I only remember this particularly as i was wondering 'what on earth does that mean!' On looking up the word i have to say i was very much under the impression this was a criticism. If someone called me that I would probably not be jumping with joy!

The actual review does give more context to the comment I agree as you stated above.

Would love to get my hands on this draft manual

Personally the screen size does not bother me one fig. Besides, if it does bother folk there is always the ipad editor.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosacosta ➡️
OT but; Uli, how on earth have you not relesed a new BCR? Realy, it's one of your best products, still un-matched.

Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
I second this. Should be possible to create a much thinner BCR these days.

Pete

I think the X-Touch Compact might be the "modern" replacement, at least for the BCF. Touch-sensitive motorized faders, rotary encoders, USB and MIDI, and just enough buttons to cover the basic DAW layout. For just $100 more it seems like a pretty good deal. If you can stand the older look of the BCF/BCR, though, then I would go for the older versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi ➡️
I guess the BCR didn't sell in the high numbers for the margins Behringer wanted?

You would think that having high-profile users (cough Daft Punk cough), the awesome addition of the Zaquencer mod, and both MIDI and USB would make this thing sell like hotcakes, even today! I think it has something to do with it's early-2000s look that's pretty dated. At least it looks better than the BCA2000.

Although they are still in production after 12 years...
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
@ weirdfishee Lol it is an unusual word, like many I expect, I'm seeing (like some other people who write for a living) SOS drop these oddities into their pages more and more of late, it's a little bit meh and I find it to be a little bit of hey look at me but I do laugh.

Sorry to jump on you btw

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi ➡️
I always assumed that the cost of making those LED-rings made the BCR unprofitable? Same reason that Nord ditched them from the Lead 4.
Super easy to do in SMD these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Powerhouse ➡️
I think the X-Touch Compact might be the "modern" replacement, at least for the BCF. Touch-sensitive motorized faders, rotary encoders, USB and MIDI, and just enough buttons to cover the basic DAW layout. For just $100 more it seems like a pretty good deal. If you can stand the older look of the BCF/BCR, though, then I would go for the older versions.
Not for use as a general synth controller, for me anyway. The old one is nice, but is big and chunky. A smaller one that would fit on top of a synth would be good to have.

But to be fair, it's not like I'd buy 20 of them.

Pete
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 ➡️
You sound like a berhinger representative....

I have listened to about 100s of shootout between high-end analog studiogear such as EQ and compressors vs other analog gear or software...yet all recording where digitally wav/mp3 and yet the difference is "in your face"...the analog goodness of high-quality gear will alwas be reflected on digital recordings...no matter what...

For the deepmind synth...it sounds very german...to organized and boring.
Behringer managers may have held so many meetings over their product that it ended up sounding like a post hipster "business-meeting" synthesizer. Clean and 100% reproducable such as a Big Mac that taste identical whether you are in Paris or Tokio.

No idea if the sales price for this synth has been finalized yet. From what i've heard however it is going to be to expensive. Given the fact that their are much more interesting sounding new analog synth out there...

With regards to the built quality...whomever went through the "experience" of believing in Behringer advertising and buying one of their products may indeed ask some serious question regarding the built quality of this product...
well, I don't know if some people sound like behringer representative but you sure sound like a troll...
1) not saying you are wrong but please provide at least a link where high end studio gear recorded in mp3 sounds MUCH BETTER and IN YOUR FACE compared to other less expensive analog gear
2) The DM12 sounds german?what example of german synth do you have in mind?Also Uli Behringer is swiss (like you maybe) and most of the engineers that worked on the project are from the Midas team, so most of them are english...
And you may criticize some aspects of the synth maybe but certainly not the originality esp. in the second DCO parameters where you have a PWM/Sync altogether effect on the oscillator, not something very usual...
It went from a Juno clone to something more interesting and "expanded", not really what you describe above
3) 999 $ not really an expensive 12 voices analog synth no...
4) More interesting 12 voices analog synth?Which one?Prophet 12 four times the price and no analog oscillators (and the pro2 filters are better)?
5) Build quality of Behringer products as stated above is much better than it used to be , you are indeed a bit late on this statement...

You sound a bit like the guy who stated on facebook that the System 8 was the best synth in the world although he just listened to the demos on youtube (well he was swiss too, maybe that was you)
Old 21st November 2016
Deleted User
Keep up the messages!
I made a prediction that this thread would hit 10,000 by Black Friday.
Fail #1
I also predicted the DM12 would be magically available this date.
Fail #2

OMG, I just sold the future short!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springuy ➡️
2) The DM12 sounds german?what example of german synth do you have in mind?Also Uli Behringer is swiss (like you maybe) and most of the engineers that worked on the project are from the Midas team, so most of them are english...
Could the Midas sound character be one of the things putting some people off of the DM12? I like the sound character, to my ears it has a modern, but still analog sound. Maybe it is due to a more even frequency response than most analog synths? In the analogs I have owned, the high frequencies seemed somewhat reduced, giving that classic sound. Seems that the high frequencies on the DM12 are more airy and detailed (sparkly even?).
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb ➡️
Could the Midas sound character be one of the things putting some people off of the DM12? I like the sound character, to my ears it has a modern, but still analog sound. Maybe it is due to a more even frequency response than most analog synths? In the analogs I have owned, the high frequencies seemed somewhat reduced, giving that classic sound. Seems that the high frequencies on the DM12 are more airy and detailed (sparkly even?).
Not so sure about it if you use it without the effects, maybe it's more linked to the digital effects...
Anyway, I will only be able to answer for sure WHEN I have the chance to try it fo real in good conditions...
Unlike some people, for me Youtube demos are an indication but certainly not enough to make up my mind soundwise
Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Certainly sounds modern, hi-fi sort of. Even no fx on sounds modern, but with a 80's spirit. I'm sure we'll all be surprised with it.
The most i think it has going for itself is, it's unique. Juno soul, vst brains, Midas clean. 1st effort mind you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➡️
Keep up the messages!
I made a prediction that this thread would hit 10,000 by Black Friday.
Fail #1
I also predicted the DM12 would be magically available this date.
Fail #2

OMG, I just sold the future short!
The size, typeface, and monochromatic nature of the Deepmind screen are EXACTLY like the display on my Casio FZ-10m sampler, circa 1988.

It's a VINTAGE display. Call it an homage.

Zaphod -- I hope this post brings you one step closer to your dream.
Old 22nd November 2016
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really love this.. But I just gotta say, for the same money the system 8 just pisses all over it in the sound department.. I think it is better overall though when you think about the screen, effects, mod matrix, sequencer.. I can't afford either but for my money I would get a used system 8 for a grand give or take.. But nice effort!! Almost out rolanded roland!
Old 22nd November 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springuy ➡️
Anyway, I will only be able to answer for sure WHEN I have the chance to try it fo real in good conditions...
Unlike some people, for me Youtube demos are an indication but certainly not enough to make up my mind soundwise
Even trying a new synth out at the store is not enough to make up my mind. Especially where I live, there is no "real" music store near by, just a big chain store that isn't the best environment for serious evaluations.

When really interested in a synth I have to try it for an extended time in my environment. Sometimes, if first impressions are not great, after trying it a few more times I may start to relate to it more. If after a while it doesn't work out then I sell it, and any money lost I consider "rent" for the time I had it.
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

I want one!!! Finally a Synth that takes the Roland approach to synthesis and has the updAtes Roland refuses to offer. I would buy it first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➡️
I like to share with you the prototype of the DeepMind12 desktop version.

While this is a working sample, we have not yet decided if we will actually put it in production. In order to achieve an attractive sales price that is below the keyboard version, we would require substantial production volume.

Perhaps you could share with us what your level of interest is if the product would be available at around US$ 899.

Thanks

Uli
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➡️
Yet strangely, if a wave is digitally generated, fed into an analog path, then digitally processed with effects- voila! Its all good! By some amazing stroke of god, all those bad digital qualities just disappear!
This sounds to me that you don't understand the boundaries of analogue/digital nor do you understand digital audio very well. Samples are not like pixels in an image. Unlike images audio is recreated as sound when converted from digital data to an analogue signal.

An analogue synth recorded well digitally loses nothing of it's analogue qualities. Analogue vs digital recorded audio is not the same as analogue vs digital vs hybrid synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I will be in the US in the 2nd week of December; do we know yet who the mystery retail chain is that supposedly ordered 30k of these babies? Provided Behringer actually keeps their promise of late 2016 release, I would love to bring a DM12 back with me.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've heard it all now..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
I've heard it all now..
Indeed. Porsche's, Audio R8's, Lamborghini's (yes that's correct), Bugatti Veryons, BMW M series are all clinical and boring too I bet.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Behringer managers may have held so many meetings over their product that it ended up sounding like a post hipster "business-meeting" synthesizer. Clean and 100% reproducable such as a Big Mac that taste identical whether you are in Paris or Tokio.
You get the "smuggest comment of the thread" award. What an embarrassingly condescending remark.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by idm0r ➡️
They promised "around the end of the year release". They also said there's so many preorders that people wanting to buy it in a store after release should add a couple of months. So I'm afraid there is a big chance you won't be able to try one.
I was aware of that, and wouldn't want to try one. I've heard enough from the demos to know I want to have one at home; if I don't like it I can always sell it.

So I would preorder, but I do not know who from. That was the gist of my question.

Regards
Björn
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoerngiesler ➡️
I will be in the US in the 2nd week of December; do we know yet who the mystery retail chain is that supposedly ordered 30k of these babies? Provided Behringer actually keeps their promise of late 2016 release, I would love to bring a DM12 back with me.
I'm not from the US but isn't Guitar Center the only possible candidate for such a huge preorder?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg ➡️
I'm not from the US but isn't Guitar Center the only possible candidate for such a huge preorder?
My guess would be Sweetwater
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sweetwater FTW
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sick of all the hype and waiting totally lost interest it'll just be another synth gathering dust in my local music shop when it eventually arrives...and it'll sound just about as good or slightly worse than a nord 4...yawn bore
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Sweetwater already has charged my card for this "pre-order". I think that was a mistake but I tired to ask them why but I have yet to get a clear response. So I do expect to be one of the first round-er's (being that I've already paid out). We'll see.

I pre-ordered this before any of the other gear purchases which are already delivered. The System 8 came in, the used D50 & PG1000 are in and the OB6 is going to be in by Friday (or maybe not due to Thanksgiving). The Deep Mind will have some "poly" competition for sure and will have to stack up pretty high to remain in the studio for long.
Deleted User
Moogaudio does the same thing! Beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost ➡️
Sweetwater already has charged my card for this "pre-order". I think that was a mistake but I tired to ask them why but I have yet to get a clear response. So I do expect to be one of the first round-er's (being that I've already paid out). We'll see.

I pre-ordered this before any of the other gear purchases which are already delivered. The System 8 came in, the used D50 & PG1000 are in and the OB6 is going to be in by Friday (or maybe not due to Thanksgiving). The Deep Mind will have some "poly" competition for sure and will have to stack up pretty high to remain in the studio for long.
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
as long as it has CVs and Gates(don't care about MIDI) I'll try it! and likely buy it.
Old 23rd November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuucuuV ➡️
as long as it has CVs and Gates(don't care about MIDI) I'll try it! and likely buy it.
For 12 voices you wound need 12 cv and 12 gates. Midi is much more practical and cost effective in polyphonic synth.
Old 23rd November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuucuuV ➡️
The sustain and express pedal inputs double as gate and cv inputs, I believe.
📝 Reply