The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spark (2) or Spark LE?
Old 17th February 2015
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Spark (2) or Spark LE?

I'm thinking which one to get. I know they both use the same software, updated slightly in version 2. Which has a better GUI, modular. Ect. I like the fact that the spark has 8 separate knobs per drum and the LCD display means there's not so much mousing around and staring at the monitor as with the LE version. I also like the form factor of both the spark & the spark LE. I just can't decide which one to go for. Also, what are the specs needed to run this on a pc/laptop, i cant find this info on line!I I will be running it stand alone. Also, how would I sync (both) to my hardware sequencer.

Thanks
Old 17th February 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Get LE. I have both but LE has a more logical layout. The big one has some weird button combinations for simple functions like copy/paste patterns etc. LE is also more portable. The screen on the big one is pretty useless. It doesn't show you much info so I rarely look at it.

Arturia has some tutorials that show how to sync it with other hardware.
Old 17th February 2015
  #3
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Ok thanks Steve. I'll have another look at the YouTube video and for the tutorial on Arturia site. I must admit, the LE is more pleasing to the eye
Old 17th February 2015
  #4
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
v2 is buggy and hasnt been updated in a while...no word on when they will. Not sure if you can roll it back to v1 if you buy it new...Im sure its the same download page for software. V1 was pretty solid.
Old 17th February 2015
  #5
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Hmm. Buggy?. No updates in a while? That's not good. I'll have to be careful which software version i get. This is one of the reasons I try and stear clear of computers and music software. All hardware, at least for the time being.
Old 17th February 2015
  #6
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Just checked there is the older version 1.7.2 software on the Arturia Web site. The latest listed update is 2.1.0.426 Is this the version you say is buggy?
Old 17th February 2015
  #7
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
v2 is buggy period...even little things like the software step sequencer not following the hardware is annoying as ****. v 1.7.2 is solid.

spark was updated pretty regularly until this version, then it seems arturia have spread themselves pretty thin, possibly with new products. Its still a good product and once they update and fix the small things that are wrong with it v2 will be a great update.
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #8
165099
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by the synthman ➑️
Hmm. Buggy?. No updates in a while? That's not good. I'll have to be careful which software version i get. This is one of the reasons I try and stear clear of computers and music software. All hardware, at least for the time being.
I wouldn't feel too comfortable as hardware is often just as buggy, so unless you're sticking to discrete analog (which is no guarantee or easy fix), most gear I've owned over the years has had at least one update to correct something and it's often more likely for software to be fixed in a more timely and complete manner.
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165099 ➑️
I wouldn't feel too comfortable as hardware is often just as buggy, so unless you're sticking to discrete analog (which is no guarantee or easy fix), most gear I've owned over the years has had at least one update to correct something and it's often more likely for software to be fixed in a more timely and complete manner.
You make a good point. I have a sledge and that was buggy when it first came out.
At least other owners found it so, I had no trouble with mine. Depends how one uses it i suppose. but I've upgraded to v2 just the same. That was more to do with the extra functions it added. With the spark software. I suppose you ether have the latest all singing all dancing version complete with bugs! (If it has any?) Or you roll back to an older version that is more stable but you lose out on the extra bells and whistles.
Old 17th February 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I haven't had any issues with Spark 2 (knock on wood). The only issue I've had so far is when running as a plugin inside Logic I have to stop playback to be able to switch patterns from the hardware. Not really an issue for me because I create my patterns in standalone mode and then trigger them with midi inside Logic when I'm ready to track out everything. No other bugs have surfaced for me so far.
Old 17th February 2015
  #11
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Good that's what like to hear
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
I haven't had any issues with Spark 2 (knock on wood). The only issue I've had so far is when running as a plugin inside Logic I have to stop playback to be able to switch patterns from the hardware. Not really an issue for me because I create my patterns in standalone mode and then trigger them with midi inside Logic when I'm ready to track out everything. No other bugs have surfaced for me so far.
Not even the step sequencer not following the hardware?
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
Not even the step sequencer not following the hardware?
No, fortunately. I haven't ran into that. In standalone mode everything is very responsive and just works. I've had the issue with manual pattern changing in Logic but that's it.

The only complaint I really have with Spark is the inability to record knob automation. That's a huge oversight and hopefully will be fixed in Spark 2.? or 3.
Old 17th February 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
...and you can't have Spark 1 and 2 installed simultaneously.... which I found out the hard way. Dumb. AND they don't warn you. AND the installer I had didn't tell me it couldn't RUN on osx 10.6.8, predicating my FORCED move to 10.8.5... They are idiots...

I too have been asking the same question to other people, which is the preferred hardware unit now? The extra knobs ALWAYS seem nice, but if the LE has been thought through more from a design sense, perhaps that would make more sense, and take up less room in the old studio already cluttered with Maschine's etc... I actually liked Spark1 better then 2 so far, and I actually preferred it to Maschine for getting things done quickly, it seemed to have a pretty nice layout, and I could get to where I wanted quickly without a lot of to do....
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
No, fortunately. I haven't ran into that. In standalone mode everything is very responsive and just works. I've had the issue with manual pattern changing in Logic but that's it.

The only complaint I really have with Spark is the inability to record knob automation. That's a huge oversight and hopefully will be fixed in Spark 2.? or 3.
Im surprised, over on the arturia site its taken that everyone has that bug, dunno how youve got away with that, even the beta testers say they dont know when thats getting fixed??
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
...and you can't have Spark 1 and 2 installed simultaneously.... which I found out the hard way. Dumb. AND they don't warn you. AND the installer I had didn't tell me it couldn't RUN on osx 10.6.8, predicating my FORCED move to 10.8.5... They are idiots...

I too have been asking the same question to other people, which is the preferred hardware unit now? The extra knobs ALWAYS seem nice, but if the LE has been thought through more from a design sense, perhaps that would make more sense, and take up less room in the old studio already cluttered with Maschine's etc... I actually liked Spark1 better then 2 so far, and I actually preferred it to Maschine for getting things done quickly, it seemed to have a pretty nice layout, and I could get to where I wanted quickly without a lot of to do....
First. Why would you want both spark 1&2 on you computer I don't know very much about them but aren't they basically the same thing.

Second. Tell me more about what you liked more about spark 1 over 2. Was it the software or the hardware or a little of both?
Old 17th February 2015
  #17
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
the spark controllers great...the extra knobs really make tweaking easier. the step sequencers in the wrong place but you get used to that. Its built like a tank, I had it in a suitcase, four countries, three continents, no probs...broke two knobs moving a mile inbetween hotels back here lol

the V2 software adds a better mixer and sequencer page, plus a really good synth drum...but its features take you to the mouse more. V1 is just like an old drum machine, and theyd ironed all the bugs out by the last update. I preferred it to maschine for its simplicity and the hardwares knob per function.

It should be mentioned that in v2 Maschines software had problems as well. And Im sure Arturia will fix this. But a good yardstick to judge issues is to visit NI maschines forum and Arturias Spark forum..one is littered with complaints, one isnt.
Old 17th February 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
well for one thing, I don't believe projects made with Spark 1 would instantiate on 2... but I could be wrong.... 2nd, I just liked the layout and simplicity and quickness of spark 1, personal preference perhaps, but just quick and easy, and 3., spark 1 didn't require a whole osx system update without warning!
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
Im surprised, over on the arturia site its taken that everyone has that bug, dunno how youve got away with that, even the beta testers say they dont know when thats getting fixed??
I've had a look on the Arturia forum. Cor Blimey mate, reading some of the threads & posts on it is almost enough to put me (or anybody come to that) off getting a spark, be it a 1 or 2 or LE. It seems to have bugs in every update!. Indeed, some forum members on the forum seem to be wondering why each update just seems to be a another beta version and Arturia are using their customers as softwear testers!
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
Im surprised, over on the arturia site its taken that everyone has that bug, dunno how youve got away with that, even the beta testers say they dont know when thats getting fixed??
Hmm. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're talking about. It would be weird if I'm the only person not experiencing a problem. I haven't noticed any issues related to the sequencer. How can I try to replicate the big you're describing?
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
Hmm. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're talking about. It would be weird if I'm the only person not experiencing a problem. I haven't noticed any issues related to the sequencer. How can I try to replicate the big you're describing?
make a 32+ step sequencer pattern on the hardware then look at the software page that replicates the hardware's face...the step sequencer numerically shows 1-16 regardless of which part is playing.

If you focus completely on the hardware its not an issue, but, if like me, you use the PC screen as well its annoying...a stupid little GUI bug, but not one that should remain unfixed since June 2014 imo
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by the synthman ➑️
I've had a look on the Arturia forum. Cor Blimey mate, reading some of the threads & posts on it is almost enough to put me (or anybody come to that) off getting a spark, be it a 1 or 2 or LE. It seems to have bugs in every update!. Indeed, some forum members on the forum seem to be wondering why each update just seems to be a another beta version and Arturia are using their customers as softwear testers!
I helped beta test version 2 (it was a public test), they even put our names on the softwares thanks screen lol...and was shocked when they said it was a release candidate

youve got to remember it was updated a few times at first, then it just stopped...the site was frequented by a couple of arturia guys who were great, then they just didnt show up much anymore

I like Arturia's products...but their support is legendary in its sparseness
Old 17th February 2015
  #23
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Ok so maybe I should just find an update that works for me V 1 or 2 and stick with it or until a stable V 2 or 3 comes out. I'll be using it purely stand as a stand alone drum machine. So I wouldn't be worried about it being compatible with other software or DAW'S. Now its purely a matter of witch controller I like & works best for my needs. I know it's swings & roundabouts, but hey?
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #24
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
well for one thing, I don't believe projects made with Spark 1 would instantiate on 2... but I could be wrong.... 2nd, I just liked the layout and simplicity and quickness of spark 1, personal preference perhaps, but just quick and easy, and 3., spark 1 didn't require a whole osx system update without warning!
I found I could open Spark projects made in 1.7 in 2, but I couldn't open any Cubase projects that used Spark 1.7 after I upgraded. Thats why I went back to 1.7, and would have liked to have both so I could start new projects in 2 while finishing the older ones with 1.7.

But then after a while I decided the old projects were rubbish anyway, so I didn't mind upgrading.
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
make a 32+ step sequencer pattern on the hardware then look at the software page that replicates the hardware's face...the step sequencer numerically shows 1-16 regardless of which part is playing.

If you focus completely on the hardware its not an issue, but, if like me, you use the PC screen as well its annoying...a stupid little GUI bug, but not one that should remain unfixed since June 2014 imo
I made a 64 step sequence. The little LED style screen on the software shows "Current Steps" followed by whatever steps I'm on. The sequencer buttons stay on 1-16 for 32 steps and then change to 33-48 for the last 32 steps.

I guess that's a minor bug. Not an issue for me because I rarely look at the screen when programming. I hadn't even noticed it until now.
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
I made a 64 step sequence. The little LED style screen on the software shows "Current Steps" followed by whatever steps I'm on. The sequencer buttons stay on 1-16 for 32 steps and then change to 33-48 for the last 32 steps.

I guess that's a minor bug. Not an issue for me because I rarely look at the screen when programming. I hadn't even noticed it until now.
I know manufacturer can't check their products (software) for every conceivable use but surly that "bug" was one they should have spotted easy?
Old 17th February 2015
  #27
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
yup..thats one minor bug


do you use Logic X? Try it as a plug in, Arturia all but acknowledged its unusable...this was their statement in Sept last year

"This is a known bug with the GUI, and we are working on IT.
Please accept all apologies for the temporary inconvenience caused.

Feel free to come back to me if still any problem or misunderstanding.
Yours cordially,"



theres plenty more...though Im glad you have no probs with it, I really do like it, I just wish theyd fix it for the rest of us before rolling it out with collections like V4
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by the synthman ➑️
I know manufacturer can't check their products (software) for every conceivable use but surly that "bug" was one they should have spotted easy?
its such a dumb bug not to fix in a quicky update, let alone over half a year later
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneafter909 ➑️
I found I could open Spark projects made in 1.7 in 2, but I couldn't open any Cubase projects that used Spark 1.7 after I upgraded. Thats why I went back to 1.7, and would have liked to have both so I could start new projects in 2 while finishing the older ones with 1.7.

But then after a while I decided the old projects were rubbish anyway, so I didn't mind upgrading.
THAT was it...(i think anyways...., I remember being mad as hell with Arturia about something)... with NO warning. Complete hose job. In my case I had projects in progress (still do) with 1.7, and updating to 2, well rendered those worthless. Yet another reason I usually bounce stuff to audio to future proof. That's a really crappy thing to do. It's not like when you buy Kontakt 5, everything you did with Kontakt 4 is worthless etc... That's almost criminal...
Old 18th February 2015
  #30
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Ok. So I did a bit of digging around and have now found out that the min ram requirements for spark 1 are 2 GB ram and for spark 2 (LE) are 4 GB ram. My laptop only has 2 GB ram, I've ether got to upgrade my ram or go for the spark 1....bugger lol

Edit: Panic over. I can get an extra 2 GB of Ram for Β£20. Still got to decide which spark to get though

Edit: 2. So I've decided to buy a dell latitude. 4 Gig ram 1 terabyte hard drive. That sould do the job!

Last edited by the synthman; 19th February 2015 at 09:13 PM..
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 373 views: 35925
Avatar for Sam Marks
Sam Marks 12th March 2021
replies: 65 views: 26409
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 26th September 2018
replies: 100 views: 15044
Avatar for HH_DRUM
HH_DRUM 14th December 2014
replies: 66 views: 17663
Avatar for spitfire31
spitfire31 23rd January 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump