Prophet 12 vs. Prophet 6 Sequencial - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 12 vs. Prophet 6 Sequencial
Old 12th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➡️
For me the Prophet6 is what I was hoping Prophet08 would have been. I've ordered the 6 but never bought the 08. The 12 is a different hybrid animal. I have several other hybrids in my studio, including EX8000 and ESQm so I feel no need for the 12.
The EX8000 is one of my all time favorites. Simple, but great sounding.
Old 16th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by azone2 ➡️
Point taken but many of us (including maybe the OP) are looking for a modern poly analog that sounds like the older VCO synths. And these modern synths don't sound like them at all. There isn't a modern VCO poly that sounds raw like the older beasts such as the JP-4, JP-8 and the P5 (esp the Rev1 or Rev2). We are waiting for a modern version of these. I have tons of experience in the studio with vintage polys but the only one I own is a JP-4... and it's a PITA. I'm not buying an old P5 or OBX for $6k or a JP-8 for $9k, but I would to buy a modern equivalent. There is one modern synth that does sound like the old stuff but it's a mono.... MFB Dominion 1...but no polys that are close. Many of us could care less about unlimited modulations and crap if the raw sound isn't what we want. So for many it's not about "...shut up (sorry) and play your instrument. Do crazy things. Find out what it is capable of...." it's about the desire for a modern poly with vintage sound. The P6 seems the closest by far that DSI has done yet. I can't wait to try one out.

Hi azone2, yes, I can understand that. However, I like to use my synths for sound design and making crazy effects. I am a lifelong guitarist who got into synths only a couple of years ago and I could not play you a song except for the main riff to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida!!! So I did not grow up with Prophet 5 or anything like that. My synth mind was based first on VST'i's, then on a Novation X-Station, then a PEK and a P12 and a Sub 37 plus a whole bunch of small synths like the Volca range etc. Being that I want to make sounds that are WAY out there, the P12, for me, is more desirable than the P6. If I need super phat sounds my Sub 37 handles that quite nicely, although the P12 can get pretty hairy too. My next synth will be a Roland JD-XA. It looks like a lot of fun and great for what I like to do.

As for the P12, in my opinion, it is the direction that Dave really wants to go, to experiment, push the boundaries and be on the cutting edge. But a lot of people were turned off by the digital oscillators etc. People generally do not like changes. So Dave made the P6 for them. Dave IS a businessman, and he knew that a P6 would sell. So he made it. But I really believe that he would rather push forward. Again, just my opinion.

The P12, with its SIX SHARCS and tons of routing options, is capable of doing more than I can ever imagine. Like I said, digital osc's are a PLUS for me, considering how I use my synths. I won't be playing synth in some cover band or something where I need to know songs, although sit me down with a band to play synth and I am good at it. Think Brian Eno on Roxy Music. That is what I like to do, Synthi AVS or not! I make the sounds for my own music, to make it unique. And I also think that the P12 sounds wonderful, half of the people who post and complain about the oscs do not even own a P12 and have never played one and are going by what someone else said or by YouTube videos.

In the end, though, it's "buy what ya like!".

Last edited by Roodillon; 16th June 2015 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: typos
📝 Reply