Quantcast
Sequential Prophet 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Prophet 6
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sequential Prophet 6

Anaheim, CA—January 20, 2015—Dave Smith today announced the Sequential Prophet-6, a new 6-voice synthesizer with an all-analog signal path and discrete VCOs and filters.

Auspiciously branded with Smith’s recently reacquired original company name, the new instrument is aimed squarely at musicians in search of vintage tone with the reliability of modern technology. Said Smith: “The Prophet-6 is a tribute to the original poly-synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But more importantly, it’s the culmination of our effort to build the most awesome- sounding, modern analog poly-synth possible.” Added Smith: “It’s not a reissue, it’s vintage with a modern twist.”

The Prophet-6 features two newly-designed, discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice, with continuously variable waveshapes (triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse). There are two discrete filters per voice: a four-pole, resonant, low-pass inspired by the original Prophet 5 filter; plus a two-pole, resonant, high- pass filter. Voltage-controlled VCAs complete the all-analog signal path. “Our new VCOs, VCAs and filters give the Prophet-6 terrific warmth and presence,” said Smith. “The classic, big, punchy analog poly sound is all here.”

Also present from its classic predecessor is the much-loved Poly Mod section, albeit with enhancements. True to the original, modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2 (both with bi-polar control). Destinations however, have been expanded to include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, low-pass filter cutoff, and high-pass filter cutoff. Another welcome reprise is Unison mode, which features configurable voice count (1-6 voices) and key modes.

The knob-per-function front panel is free of menu-diving, offering immediate access to virtually all parameters. Toggling off the Preset switch enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the instrument switches to the current settings of its knobs and switches. “We wanted to make the Prophet-6 as fast and easy to navigate as possible. Switch off Preset and what you see is what you hear,” said Smith.

A significant enhancement to the original design is a dual-effects section with studio-quality reverbs, delays (including BBD and tape emulation), chorus and phase shifter. While the effects themselves are digital, with full 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution, a true bypass function maintains a fully analog signal path when the effects are off. An independent stereo distortion effect is 100% analog.

Additionally, the Prophet-6 features a multimode arpeggiator and a polyphonic step sequencer. The sequencer provides up to 64 notes with rests, allows real-time polyphonic input, and can sync to external MIDI clock.

The full-size, four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard is velocity and aftertouch sensitive. “We empathize with the gigging musician,” said Smith, “so we made size and weight a primary concern on the Prophet-6. We think it’s an ideal mix of portability and power.”

With regard to the resurgence of analog synths in recent years, Smith had this to say: “I still hear some people say they don’t build them like they used to. I disagree. I think we build them better—and the Prophet-6 is our proof.”
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow
Old 22nd January 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What a time to be alive. Amazing.
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Awesome! How much money do you want from me?
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
booyaa
Old 22nd January 2015
GLM
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Oh.My.Lord.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Finally! Yes!
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Nice!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
more info on the sequencer and any cv outs or ins~?
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The moment many of us were waiting for. Finally a true, discrete analog poly synth with one of the best filters available (based on SSM2040 from the old Prophet5).

Congratulations Dave and DSI team.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
what a beautiful synth
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Okay, forget everything else. We're done. Thanks Dave!
Old 22nd January 2015
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey Pym, is it going to have an audio input and if so, where does it join the signal path?

thanks for the scoop!
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Looks like Dave has been listening.Wow ! Demo sounds good..Want more demo's and $.JD

Last edited by 3Crystals; 22nd January 2015 at 06:21 PM..
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My brain just gave me an error message.
Old 22nd January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"Is it a reissue? NO."

Hehe. No menu diving!
Old 22nd January 2015
Deleted c1b33bf
Looks like people finally got what they wanted ! Polyphonic step sequencer ?! Hell yes !
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Best synth released in the last 20 years or more?

YEP!!!!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

This is insane. The variable shape VCO oscillators, resonant high pass, poly sequencer............OMG am I glad I didn't buy something after the holidays. This may be the first synth I ever pre-order. Excuse me, I need to go put half my gear on ebay.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➡️
Okay, forget everything else. We're done. Thanks Dave!
100% agree. Nothing else to see here. I'm in love. Like I have an uncontrollable smile and my cheeks are getting numb. Its like a dream come true. Now... Let's talk Pro One
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought you guys were crazy thinking this was what it would be....

Well played, Mr. Smith.

Now...about the price?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crystals ➡️
Looks like Dave has been listening.Wow ! Can't wait to hear it...Picture's ?
did u not see and hear the video above <drooooool>
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Best synth ever released in the last 20 years?

YEP!!!!

I don't even know what to do with myself right now....honestly. heh
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c1b33bf ➡️
Looks like people finally got what they wanted ! Polyphonic step sequencer ?! Hell yes !
Elektron A4 / AK has that
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thank you based smith
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
ok, mr thomann...
📝 Reply