The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Prophet 6
Old 7th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 ➡️
That’s amazing! Is that iPhone-only or iPad as well?
Hi, glad it piques your interest 😊.

It’s not optimised for iPad - so it will either appear letterboxed or very large - nor does it take any special advantage of the extra screen space - but it will download and work on iPad, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjams ➡️
. . . It’s not optimised for iPad - so it will either appear letterboxed or very large - nor does it take any special advantage of the extra screen space - but it will download and work on iPad, yes.
Thanks for your reply! iPhone is fine! Looking forward to downloading/using it soon! I can NEVER find/remember my favorite patches on either my P6 or OB-6. This is great!!!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 ➡️
Thanks for your reply! iPhone is fine! Looking forward to downloading/using it soon! I can NEVER find/remember my favorite patches on either my P6 or OB-6. This is great!!!
Great, give me a shout on the support email if you need any help. Also, unlike the OB6 the P6 patches aren't categorised at the factory - for some reason only known to Sequential - but I've got a modified SysEx file. Again, give me a shout on the support email if you think it'd be helpful
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjams ➡️
Hi, glad it piques your interest 😊.

It’s not optimised for iPad - so it will either appear letterboxed or very large - nor does it take any special advantage of the extra screen space - but it will download and work on iPad, yes.
Wow this is totally killer! Only just found out about it randomly as I rarely visit P6/OB6 threads. My question to you is could you make it compatible with P5/P10 Rev4? Sure it would make a lot of users happy and boost some sales.

edit: pretty sure the Rev4 has similar program architecture as P6/0B6. soundtower allows to see/edit program data:

Gear Head

Hi

Yup P5/P10 support is planned. Main barrier is access to one for testing/development.

I’ve some time scheduled for the first quarter of 2023 for some improvements, new features and hopefully P5/P10 support.

Thanks
Jim
Old 7th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, that's awesome news!!!

I just shared that info in the P5/P10 thread. Where are you located? Maybe someone here is in your vicinity and could help you with a test unit
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ordered a BT wireless midi adapter just to give Patch Hero a try on a P6....thanks for sharing this!
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

These are amazing 13:53 and 40:43 beautiful.

Considering the OB-6 or P6. For warm pads... has to be Prophet?
Old 8th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedgin ➡️

Best bet: provide examples of what you consider to be a "warm pad" since people can interpret that differently.

That said, generally a synth with a 24db filter will sound "warmer" more easily/often than a synth with a 12db filter. However, it also can't "open up" a "warm" pad as easily on a 24db filter. Trade-offs.
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:

Both P6 and OB6 are amazing,each one excels at its own thing.
I would say the P6 with the 24db/oct LP filter is more versatile and more adequate for delicate sounds,filtered pads,basses and leads than the OB6 that I find nice for frightening bright pads,strings and basses.I love the 12 db/oct LP filter for basses.The oscillators on the OB6 are way less stiff too,where the P6 sits more easily in a mix.

If you already own an analog poly with a 24db filter,perhaps the OB6 is a better choice for you.
If you haven't,the P6 is great.

Listen the demo in the post #7794 in the "Sequential Oberheim OB-6" thread to hear the difference with the P6.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Best bet: provide examples of what you consider to be a "warm pad" since people can interpret that differently.
Maybe not strictly a pad, but 4:25. I would call that nice and "warm".

Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think what they're trying to tell you is OB6 is very capable of doing "warm" "nice" pads. Pads is probably its main appeal. Different flavour though.
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

I think just about all synths do warm pads. Who is warmer P6 or OB-6?
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

Reading an old review. The arp/seq doesn't spit out the midi notes to a DAW?

Is this still true with the latest FW?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'd wager that it's easier to produce more varieties of "warm" pads on the P6 because of the 24db filter, though that's definitely not to say you can't produce some "warm" pads on the OB-6.

Also, as far as I know, neither P6 or OB-6 output MIDI from the arp. But... I haven't tested it lately as I'd never use that feature.
Gear Addict
"warm" is such a bs term

If you want "warm" get a DX7..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_cowbell ➡️
"warm" is such a bs term

If you want "warm" get a DX7..
Nah. DX7 is silky. But not warm.

I'm sure you could identify a cold pad, but not a warm one?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
P6 is definitely better for warmer. The OB6 is better for hot. If that makes any sense at all. Of course, you can get warm pads by the bucketload from the OB6. It's quite tricky to get soft pads out of it though.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Nah. DX7 is silky. But not warm.

I'm sure you could identify a cold pad, but not a warm one?
My silk has just come off the radiator so best of both worlds on this ice cold day!!

For me the question of "which is warmer OB-6 / P6" is impossible to measure, like comparing "who is happier the mother of a new born or the person who is eating their first meal after hunger strike for a cause they won".

Maybe they can both be happy but it's meaningless to compare?

What about the question "which thing do I like better"? Wouldn't that tell you what you want to buy

So maybe I should have been more specific.. saying "I find X warm" is one thing but I think it completely loses meaning as a superlative/comparison.
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
agreed. its like asking what flavour ice cream tastes better. totally subjective. blows my mind people ask strangers these questions on the internet. go listen and judge for yourself.
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

If you can't identify "warm" as a synth fan then I don't know. It isn't subjective either. Warm is lower comforting frequencies, the opposite of harsh. Imagine you were asked to score a film. You are supposed to convey a feeling, not just play clichéd notes, you need to pick the appropriate instrument.

If we can say the OB-6 is brighter we should be able to say what synth is warmer - seems like it's the Prophet.
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
both can do warm pads. as others have stated which one is "warmer" is impossible to quantify. they have completely different filters. if you feel its P6 then you have answered your own question.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you can't identify "warm" as a synth fan then I don't know. It isn't subjective either. Warm is lower comforting frequencies, the opposite of harsh. Imagine you were asked to score a film. You are supposed to convey a feeling, not just play clichéd notes, you need to pick the appropriate instrument.

If we can say the OB-6 is brighter we should be able to say what synth is warmer - seems like it's the Prophet.
Yes, the P6 is warmer. The OB6 tends towards harsher/fizzier sounds. I've seriously considered selling the OB6 multiple times because my taste is more towards analogue polysynths that can do luscious big warm wodges of sound, and that's just not what the OB6 excels at. Neither the OB6 or the P6 are especially well endowed with modulation though. It does keep finding it's way onto tracks though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
Yes, the P6 is warmer. The OB6 tends towards harsher/fizzier sounds. I've seriously considered selling the OB6 multiple times because my taste is more towards analogue polysynths that can do luscious big warm wodges of sound, and that's just not what the OB6 excels at. Neither the OB6 or the P6 are especially well endowed with modulation though. It does keep finding it's way onto tracks though.
I’m getting huge, “warm” pads out of Omnisphere that far outdo what can be done in that regard on the 6-voice analog synths.

But I’d rather use a P6 or, especially as I’m biased, an OB-6 as it’s more enjoyable to use and explore.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Synth character terminology definitely has a lot of subjectivity.

These subjective:objective conversions are my general take -- how I think of things, or try to interpret others descriptions:

Warm/Dark = 4-Pole LP Filter, less upper harmonics

Fizzy/Bright = 2-Pole LP Filter, more upper harmonics

Harsh/Cold/Metallic/Sterile = Little to no voice/component variances. More technically accurate tunings with perfect envelope and lfo timings.

Lush/Organic/Alive = Per voice/component variances with natural phasing / temporal offsets

Full = Saw osc

Hollow = Square osc

Pure = Tri/Sine osc
Gear Addict
I take the Obie brand of "fizzy/bright" to mean non-LPF signal mixed back in with LPF signal.

12db and 24db do different things for basses. A 12db filtered signal doesn't have to be perceptibly brighter.

FM synths excel at warm patches with no filter at all.
Gear Addict
So anyways analog four is the warmest synth since you can configure a 144db LPF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral ➡️
Synth character terminology definitely has a lot of subjectivity.

These subjective:objective conversions are my general take -- how I think of things, or try to interpret others descriptions:

Warm/Dark = 4-Pole LP Filter, less upper harmonics

Fizzy/Bright = 2-Pole LP Filter, more upper harmonics

Harsh/Cold/Metallic/Sterile = Little to no voice/component variances. More technically accurate tunings with perfect envelope and lfo timings.

Lush/Organic/Alive = Per voice/component variances with natural phasing / temporal offsets

Full = Saw osc

Hollow = Square osc

Pure = Tri/Sine osc
Can't really fault any of this, maybe not so subjective after all?

Also, lush for me is synonymous with big (often supersaw, stereo width) and wet (usually resonance).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most videos have poor sound quality. P6 sounds pretty good here, doesn't sound thin at all. Sure.. you can program it to sound thin, but you can also program it to sound huge.

Love how Matt Johnson uses it as a "bread and butter" synth and I love the P6. After owning it for years, I can never bash it knowing what it's capable of. Also have grown to liking the OB6 which at first I didn't think it was justifiable owing the P6. I definitely see their differences and feel the need for BOTH ! The P6 is here to stay for sure.

Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

The latter half of this video sounds great - and huge!

📝 Reply