The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Prophet 6
Old 15th March 2022 | Show parent
Deleted d4b4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
Sounds like it's a desktop? If so, open er up and reseat both ends of the ribbon cable which runs between the front panel and main PC board.
yeh - might try that.

Has one quite wobbly knob as well.... could just use this to get that sorted as well..... I know its been talked about - but its the shaft bushing within the pot, not the pot shaft moving in the hole....
Old 15th March 2022 | Show parent
Deleted d4b4379
OK - cable had half popped off the faceplace end - an in transit thing.

That fixed the no No7 light. I hasnt fixed the "half lit" issues... if anything its made it worse. HOWEVER, Ive checked my OB6 (which Ive never really done) and it has similar half lit LEDs as well.....

I guess in full light you dont notice - it was only because the 7 didnt light that I looked closely.

Anyone with a P6 or OB6 see if they have the same thing?
Old 16th March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 ➡️
Disappointing - had my Prophet 6 a week and its developed a fault with the LEDs (the patch buttons and the write).

7 no longer works, 4 is always half lit, and depending which button is pressed (0 through 9 and write) combinations of others half light or flash at half brightness (when write is pressed).

Not had a problem with my OB6 or Pro3...but not great. Feeling sad. Ive emailed to seller - but anyone any thoughts?
Sorry to hear that. I had a display brightness issue when certain numbers were pressed too. Mine was from Sweetwater “brand new” of course. They replaced it for me because I’ve never seen that on any other Prophet 6. They got a response from Sequential saying that was considered normal behavior.

“Regarding the LED numeric display, Sequential says...
The LEDs look as expected -there will be some LEDs dimly lit in various combinations due to board-level circuitry. This is to be expected”
Old 16th March 2022 | Show parent
Deleted d4b4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➡️
Sorry to hear that. I had a display brightness issue when certain numbers were pressed too. Mine was from Sweetwater “brand new” of course. They replaced it for me because I’ve never seen that on any other Prophet 6. They got a response from Sequential saying that was considered normal behavior.

“Regarding the LED numeric display, Sequential says...
The LEDs look as expected -there will be some LEDs dimly lit in various combinations due to board-level circuitry. This is to be expected”
Yeh - as my OB6 is the same I expect its normal....for Sequential.

As an Electronics engineer by trade though - its not normal behaviour in general....it does point to a badly designed board TBH - but hey ho. It doesnt affect how it sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The price jump of the P6 is insane . Unfortunately I might have to sell mine as I hit a financial crisis. I’m trying to see if I can push thru without. I hadn’t been using my P6 forever due to workflow but I started to revisit it before I let it go and I’m falling in love with it again. What I found that I actually didn’t like is the slop knob. It was creating all kinds of tuning issues when using other instruments. Sometimes the driftiness can be cool but it never played well with other digital synths. I haven’t updated it yet but I heard something about a vintage knob update or something?? Been out of the loop.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
The price jump of the P6 is insane . Unfortunately I might have to sell mine as I hit a financial crisis. I’m trying to see if I can push thru without. I hadn’t been using my P6 forever due to workflow but I started to revisit it before I let it go and I’m falling in love with it again. What I found that I actually didn’t like is the slop knob. It was creating all kinds of tuning issues when using other instruments. Sometimes the driftiness can be cool but it never played well with other digital synths. I haven’t updated it yet but I heard something about a vintage knob update or something?? Been out of the loop.
Yeah a year or more ago. Update your firmware, fix a couple bugs, get better MPE support, and get the “vintage” function that replaces the slop.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
In the past I found I was using primarily 0-10% slop for the same reasons you said.

With the vintage upgrade I think there is a lot more usable range and subtlety - maybe 0-40%.

Definitely worth updating the firmware.
Deleted d4b4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar ➡️
In the past I found I was using primarily 0-10% slop for the same reasons you said.

With the vintage upgrade I think there is a lot more usable range and subtlety - maybe 0-40%.

Definitely worth updating the firmware.
50% is the sweat spot - but its useable up to 70 or 80% actually. It doesnt just "random detune" either, it loosens the envelopes as well.

the other thing Im having a little issue with is Midi clock sync... Its not as solid as my other synths. I get random delay time problem causing pitch changing as the BPM jumps by 4 or 5 for a second or so.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
50% is the sweat spot - but its useable up to 70 or 80% actually. It doesnt just "random detune" either, it loosens the envelopes as well.

the other thing Im having a little issue with is Midi clock sync... Its not as solid as my other synths. I get random delay time problem causing pitch changing as the BPM jumps by 4 or 5 for a second or so.
Interesting. I haven’t experienced that but o also don’t do BPM changes mid song.
Deleted d4b4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar ➡️
Interesting. I haven’t experienced that but o also don’t do BPM changes mid song.
Me neither - its drifting when I change volume levels f a synth via midi (as I control them all from a Fantom) - Il have to do real time volume changes on the synths rather than the midi zone on fantom.

Was also getting it randomly when using my TR8s with pass though sync - but Ive moved that to the end of a line line (as I doing use that as master clock) rather than on the output of pyramid then into the midi patch bay.

at least now I know its only induced with the volume change. Its workable at home - would not be great live but I dont use the sequentials live - at least currently. Its only time sync'd functions like delay that its auditable in as well. As long as I KNOW what it affects and under what circumstances I can work round it - though its not ideal.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Don’t have a P6. But on the OB-6 in unison mode it can sound pretty amazing at 75-100%. Not so much in standard poly mode.
Deleted d4b4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Don’t have a P6. But on the OB-6 in unison mode it can sound pretty amazing at 75-100%. Not so much in standard poly mode.
I prefer it in poly mode - on either OB6 or P6

Init patch, filter down, loads of envelope, slow attack, slow decay and play a 4 note chord with octaves low down (say C,E,G,C).

Start with vintage at 0, them move it to 100 and do it again, the most pronounced part is the timings of the envelope not the detune of the oscillators..... Its really noice for "that" type of sound - for more subtle "loosening" 40-50% is nice, but that 100% is a beautiful thing for a certain sweep.
📝 Reply