Sequential Prophet 6
Old 18th December 2021 | Show parent
JES
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl ➡️
Thanks Sequential family. I’m gonna test it with the Linnstrument too.
I’m wondering how the Linnstrument players are getting on with the MPE update. I’m especially interested in whether the y axis can be mapped to something other than LFO intensity.

While I’m at it, now that there is vintage mode, how would people who own this and a P5/10 characterize the sonic difference between those and the P6? I’ve watch a couple video comparisons but they don’t specifically address that issue.
Old 21st December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Last night I discovered that one of my favourite synth sounds from the last few years is a Prophet 6.
It’s the lead sound that comes in at 5:45.
Though it’s a really nice track, and worth listening to the whole thing if you have a spare 9 minutes.

Old 30th December 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here's a tune I've been recording featuring my P6.

https://soundcloud.com/john-rezendes...social_sharing
Old 6th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Prophet~6 with Ableton Live - Issue

I have been trying to slave Ableton Live 11 to my Prophet~6 via USB MIDI so I can accurately record the Prophet sequencer playing on both a MIDI track (for the MIDI note information) and also as an audio track.

I have Ableton synced to the Prophet and I can see the sync pulse indicators within Ableton. However, when I start the Prophet sequencer, I find that the Ableton transport does not activate, it sits at 00:00:00, refusing to record anything.

Is there an issue between the MIDI implementation between the Prophet and Ableton?

Does the Prophet not send the required MIDI information to make the Ableton transport start up?

The Prophet~6 is on the latest firmware and I have the synth set to output sequencer and arp information through MIDI.

Any assistance with this would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass2rez ➡️
I have been trying to slave Ableton Live 11 to my Prophet~6 via USB MIDI so I can accurately record the Prophet sequencer playing on both a MIDI track (for the MIDI note information) and also as an audio track.

I have Ableton synced to the Prophet and I can see the sync pulse indicators within Ableton. However, when I start the Prophet sequencer, I find that the Ableton transport does not activate, it sits at 00:00:00, refusing to record anything.

Is there an issue between the MIDI implementation between the Prophet and Ableton?

Does the Prophet not send the required MIDI information to make the Ableton transport start up?

The Prophet~6 is on the latest firmware and I have the synth set to output sequencer and arp information through MIDI.

Any assistance with this would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
According to the manual, the P6 sends/receives sequencer start/stop as NRPN 1088 param 0 or 1. You may need to configure Ableton to recognize those commands.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTop ➡️
According to the manual, the P6 sends/receives sequencer start/stop as NRPN 1088 param 0 or 1. You may need to configure Ableton to recognize those commands.
Fantastic, thank you. This gives me something I can investigate and see if I can configure Ableton accordingly.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 5th February 2022
Here for the gear

If I got a used prophet 6 desktop for 1400 euro, would that sound like good deal to you.
Old 5th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yeah seems good. Be wary though the pots on this synth are quite shite, so I’d check it in person if possible.

Keep in mind o say this having owned three of them, one desktop, two kbd. I have one kbd version in the Studio currently. Every single one has atleast one shit pot. Problems i had: no resistance at all, wiggly/moving as in not firm in place, lightly not straight in place so that so at certain range it is hard to pass and the others are normal.

Otherwise best sounding modern Analog Poly with good performance features and a nice slim form.

Last edited by macs672; 5th February 2022 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 5th February 2022
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The pots are alpha and not shiite.. they are as good as anything else. Mine had no wobbly ones, nor my one before it.. they are not bolted to the top so you can loosen them if you mean with them.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
The pots are alpha and not shiite.. they are as good as anything else. Mine had no wobbly ones, nor my one before it.. they are not bolted to the top so you can loosen them if you mean with them.
The statement „they are as good as anything else“ doesn’t make any sense. Eg even in Sequentials own Line of Synth that I have tested the Prophet 5 Rev4 and Prophet X have better knobs.

I have had three Prophet 6s and each of them had problems with wobbly and otherwise annoyingly working knobs. This by not using them “mean”, as you call it but with care as I use all my tools.

It’s a known thing that the quality of the Prophet 6 knobs are lacking. What I wonder is why we cannot talk about this? There is even a closed thread about it. Why? And it’s not that this is a solved thing of the past or past shipments, no, my newly purchased one from around a month ago has the same problem with wobbly knobs. Also they loose tightness rather fast over time and this by just turning them without force.

Instead of attacking people who have problems with this I would like we find a solution for this as otherwise it’s a weapon of choice by me and I would recommend this synth to many musicians and do so but this is just a unreliability.

I will give it a try, asking someone who isn’t as lucky as you or generally not in denial of that this problem MIGHT exist:
Is there a way to tighten the knobs so that they sit well at the surface of this synth? I’d be down to spend some money on this.

Last edited by macs672; 5th February 2022 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: iOS autocorrect
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
FWIW I own one and I have played a few and they have all had perfect knobs, ymmv of course but that is just my experience. The buttons need to be pressed multiple times to work if the synth hasn't been used frequently tho...
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs672 ➡️
The statement „they are as good as anything else“ doesn’t make any sense. Eg even in Sequentials own Line of Synth that I have tested the Prophet 5 Rev4 and Prophet X have better knobs.
I have had three Prophet 6s and each of them had problems with wobbly and otherwise annoyingly working knobs. This by not using them “mean”, as you call it but with care as I use all my tools.

It’s a known thing that the quality of the Prophet 6 knobs are lacking. What I wonder is why we cannot talk about this? There is even a closed thread about it. Why? And it’s not that this is a solved thing of the past or past shipments, no, my newly purchased one from around a month ago has the same problem with wobbly knobs. Also they loose tightness rather fast over time and this by just turning them without force.

Instead of attacking people who have problems with this I would like we find a solution for this as otherwise it’s a weapon of choice by me and I would recommend this synth to many musicians and do so but this is just a unreliability.

I will give it a try, asking someone who isn’t as lucky as you or generally not in denial of that this problem MIGHT exist:
Is there a way to tighten the knobs so that they sit well at the surface of this synth? I’d be down to spend some money on this.
I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate complaint. I'm just saying your complaint should be at the fact the holes for the pots are spec'd too big and you wish they were bolted to the top like a p5. Your complaint realty has nothing to do with the quality of the pots and i can tell you, they are high quality parts. I'm not sure why they made the holes so big, I guess so it would be easier to open for servicing, but it does create a patential for the pots getting wobbly or if the already are from the factory it is way more noticable then other synth's.
Old 5th February 2022
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To answer your question, they are loose either from the amount of oil in them is over specced on that one or the solder joint is loose.. they make little plastic sleeves that fit in the hole around the shaft just for this issue and you can find some if you find the demensions from sequential. That would solve your issue..

Btw, it sucks having to take off a socket for every single knob just to get to the top pcb like the p5 is made.. I have synth's built like that and I much prefer this type.. Buchla has wobbly knobs too, they are made at the same place and use similar knobs. Some Buchla users were just talking about this over at the other forum if you need some help finding what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate complaint. I'm just saying your complaint should be at the fact the holes for the pots are spec'd too big and you wish they were bolted to the top like a p5. Your complaint realty has nothing to do with the quality of the pots and i can tell you, they are high quality parts. I'm not sure why they made the holes so big, I guess so it would be easier to open for servicing, but it does create a patential for the pots getting wobbly or if the already are from the factory it is way more noticable then other synth's.
Ahh sorry I totally misread that, my mistake and sorry.
I can't understand this decision but yeah I can see it being for maintenance purposes. Then again; why? It's baffling to me to mutilate a beautiful Synth as it is with this decision. It gives this sort of unease playing with it as one of the Knobs on the one I sold for instance turned really bad as in stiff in one spot. It was the Filter ENV Knob that is rastered @12 o'clock. The knob developed a behaviour where the left side around 10-12 o'clock was really hard to "move through" especially smoothly. Other knobs where 'just' wobbly and others straight and O.K.

On the new one I have there where wobbly ones straight out of the box. It's more noticeable on some then others but then again my mild OCD kicks in telling me "It's going to get worse son and you know it!" which just is a bad feeling using it and wanting to space out.

Do you know a solution to get them in place AND tighter?
I never opened the P6 but will eventually have to try if no one has worked sth out.

Peace
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
they make little plastic sleeves that fit in the hole around the shaft just for this issue and you can find some if you find the demensions from sequential. That would solve your issue..
This sounds excactly like it might be the cause!! The solution seems plausible aswell. Thank you!!

Did you try it yourself already? Does it work and last?
Old 6th February 2022 | Show parent
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ahh sorry I totally misread that, my mistake and sorry.
I can't understand this decision but yeah I can see it being for maintenance purposes. Then again; why? It's baffling to me to mutilate a beautiful Synth as it is with this decision. It gives this sort of unease playing with it as one of the Knobs on the one I sold for instance turned really bad as in stiff in one spot. It was the Filter ENV Knob that is rastered @12 o'clock. The knob developed a behaviour where the left side around 10-12 o'clock was really hard to "move through" especially smoothly. Other knobs where 'just' wobbly and others straight and O.K.

On the new one I have there where wobbly ones straight out of the box. It's more noticeable on some then others but then again my mild OCD kicks in telling me "It's going to get worse son and you know it!" which just is a bad feeling using it and wanting to space out.

Do you know a solution to get them in place AND tighter?
I never opened the P6 but will eventually have to try if no one has worked sth out.

Peace
I'm not them, but I would think the main reason for not having them bolted down is that if something bends one then you can just replace one pot, apposed to if something bends one on a p5 it will damage the whole face of the synth. Wobbly pots is annoying, but not really considered a defect..
I think the real issue is that when Dave was creating the new synth's, I guess the monoevolver was the first, he didn't think about this.. he probably should have used a knob with a bigger skirt so this wouldn't happen, but I guess he just asked for a knob like the ones he used on p5 be made but smaller.. I guess it is more recognizable as sequential, but sadly has no real skirt on it... The newer synth's have solved this by using different knobs and pots, like the pro3 and take 5. They are harder to turn with less oil in them so less wobbly, but not as smooth. There is no perfect pot really, just some are better at other things..

I've never had a problem with the pots on sequential, so I've never tried to use the plastic inserts, but I've heard they work well.. my father is a engineer and has used them and told me about them.
Actually the wobbly from the factory ones like you say, should have more oil in them so theoretically should last longer if you want a more positive way to look at it... In seven years the p6 has been out, I've never actually heard of a pot not doing it's job which is pretty incredible.. although a lot of wobbly pot complaints.. lol.
Old 6th February 2022
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you can solder, you can always replace them, I'm sorry, I'm not really sure of any other solutions.. you could try stuffing a bunch of rubber bands under the knob between the face of the synth, but that will just do what the sleeves do less elequently.
Old 7th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhye ➡️
FWIW I own one and I have played a few and they have all had perfect knobs, ymmv of course but that is just my experience. The buttons need to be pressed multiple times to work if the synth hasn't been used frequently tho...
I notice that button issue too. A bit annoying but not really a major problem.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you can solder, you can always replace them, I'm sorry, I'm not really sure of any other solutions.. you could try stuffing a bunch of rubber bands under the knob between the face of the synth, but that will just do what the sleeves do less elequently.
Thank you again, I will def tackle this when I have the space for it. I love repairing sh*t but this will likely top my DX11 where I had to exchange 32 Button connectors

@ zerocrossing
I agree, unfortunately with my first model it became a real problem (due to not being able to move precisely and smoothly move through a area on the LP Filt. Env knob). I have to say thank you to you guys reassuring I'm not seeing ghosts with this problem. Again, 3 out of 3 for me!
Maybe when this problem isn't pushed into a Ufo-Sighting area, Sequential even finds the need to address it?

I hope so because again; it's a beautiful Instrument.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For the record, I bought my P6 the year it came out.
I have not had a single issue with it. Knobs and
buttons still work fine. It’s not my first Sequential
product, I bought a Prophet 08 in 2008 and it
had no issues either.

I don’t go along with the idea that the Prophet 6,
or any Sequential synth, is poorly built. The few
customers who had defective units are always
the most vocal and can lead one to conclude
that Sequential builds crappy synths, when in
fact they don’t.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
For the record, I bought my P6 the year it came out.
I have not had a single issue with it. Knobs and
buttons still work fine. It’s not my first Sequential
product, I bought a Prophet 08 in 2008 and it
had no issues either.

I don’t go along with the idea that the Prophet 6,
or any Sequential synth, is poorly built. The few
customers who had defective units are always
the most vocal and can lead one to conclude
that Sequential builds crappy synths, when in
fact they don’t.
This over simplification of „those who have problems with x are always the most vocal“ is a rather sneaky way to talk over the heads of peoples who have said problems. More power to you that you don’t run into problems, be happy about it, but don’t criticise others who do have problems and try to find a solution. There are others who describe similar behaviours of the knobs in this thread..all of them are the most vocal ones compared to the others? You gotta be sh*tting me.

I’ve had three Prophet 6 with wobbly knobs, one Prophet X and Pro 3 with perfect knobs. You are way moving the goalpost by the generalisation (again) of hinting I mean Sequential building “crappy synths”.
Apart from me having the feeling you lack critical thinking I want to point out I started talking about this out of the motive to help someone asking about a used Prophet 6 and he should check it out before.

Again: That the thread about the issue from years back has been closed without a result is also difficult imo. Even there similar demoralising insults were spouted at people having problems with this issue.
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This over simplification of „those who have problems with x are always the most vocal“ is a rather sneaky way to talk over the heads of peoples who have said problems. More power to you that you don’t run into problems, be happy about it, but don’t criticise others who do have problems and try to find a solution. There are others who describe similar behaviours of the knobs in this thread..all of them are the most vocal ones compared to the others? You gotta be sh*tting me.

I’ve had three Prophet 6 with wobbly knobs, one Prophet X and Pro 3 with perfect knobs. You are way moving the goalpost by the generalisation (again) of hinting I mean Sequential building “crappy synths”.
Apart from me having the feeling you lack critical thinking I want to point out I started talking about this out of the motive to help someone asking about a used Prophet 6 and he should check it out before.

Again: That the thread about the issue from years back has been closed without a result is also difficult imo. Even there similar demoralising insults were spouted at people having problems with this issue.
C'mon man. Relax. I didn't insult you or anyone else posting about issues. I don't deny there are people with issues with Sequential products. That would be stupid of me. I simply said that just reading posts containing complaints "can" lead to a conclusion that Sequential's quality control is poor. It isn't.

I'm saying the majority of customers do not have problems with Sequential products. Never said nobody has any problems with them.
Old 9th February 2022
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey all, sorry to derail the great conversation…

I’m trying to use my P6 as essentially an old school USB midi interface.

I have a bitbox micro sampler and I’m trying to send midi from that, through the P6, to trigger some instruments in my daw and create some multi samples Eurorack instruments from some pianos and strings and stuff.

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, but the midi messages are not making it into the computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 9th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The Prophet 6 cannot function as a MIDI merger from its DIN MIDI in to the USB MIDI out. Just not part of its feature set.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
C'mon man. Relax. I didn't insult you or anyone else posting about issues. I don't deny there are people with issues with Sequential products. That would be stupid of me. I simply said that just reading posts containing complaints "can" lead to a conclusion that Sequential's quality control is poor. It isn't.

I'm saying the majority of customers do not have problems with Sequential products. Never said nobody has any problems with them.
I even don’t know with you anymore. I mean you get your likes so feel on the right side, get some dopamine. But your discrepancy to your last comment is hilarious. Wonder if your inner voice is also as flexible, man, life sure would be easier sometimes being this delusional.

What I take out of this is I have the gut feeling things get sh*ttier through NPCs like you.

Hopefully Truth will prevail.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I even don’t know with you anymore. I mean you get your likes so feel on the right side, get some dopamine. But your discrepancy to your last comment is hilarious. Wonder if your inner voice is also as flexible, man, life sure would be easier sometimes being this delusional.

What I take out of this is I have the gut feeling things get sh*ttier through NPCs like you.

Hopefully Truth will prevail.
Thanks for the insult, exactly what I needed to start my day..lol.

Truthfully I don't even understand your reply. It makes no sense grammatically. What's an "NPC"?
Old 9th February 2022
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think he wants everyone to agree that the p6 has problems with the knobs.. if you give a logical explanation why that might not be the case, I think he got mad about it. This seems to happen a lot here, it has happened to me a couple times.. I think it is best to just not get involved. I have a good explanation to him on how to solve his issue, those that have this problem will be understandably sensitive to feedback.. the vast majority don't have this issue but some do and that matters..
You could even pay sequential to change it the knobs of you want to, so he can definitely get this resolved.
Liked I said earlier, I agree I have had two and neither have any issues.
I guess you guys can make up and get along..
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTop ➡️
The Prophet 6 cannot function as a MIDI merger from its DIN MIDI in to the USB MIDI out. Just not part of its feature set.
Aye. After 20 years of keeping in the bottom of a drawer I finally tossed my old 1x1 midisport a few months ago. Oh well.
Old 15th March 2022 | Show parent
Deleted d4b4379
Disappointing - had my Prophet 6 a week and its developed a fault with the LEDs (the patch buttons and the write).

7 no longer works, 4 is always half lit, and depending which button is pressed (0 through 9 and write) combinations of others half light or flash at half brightness (when write is pressed).

Not had a problem with my OB6 or Pro3...but not great. Feeling sad. Ive emailed to seller - but anyone any thoughts?
Old 15th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds like it's a desktop? If so, open er up and reseat both ends of the ribbon cable which runs between the front panel and main PC board.
📝 Reply