Quantcast
Sequential Prophet 6 - Page 253 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Prophet 6
Old 16th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a Prophet 5 3.2 in the 90’s and now have a Prophet 6. Yes, the knobs are smaller but had I not experienced the P5 I wouldn’t even know / care.
My studio is small and I use it as my master keyboard - hence the only gripe I have with it is the ‘missing’ 5th octave on the keyboard. If it had that I wouldn’t waste a moment day-dreaming about the new Prophet 5, as I do sometimes. If it works out well I may eventually replace my P6 with a P6 module and the 5 octave UBXa.
Old 16th June 2021 | Show parent
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
.. Just give it time, you might not love it at first but after a while it really shows you who it is.. Love my p6!! Best synth ever!! It is stupid expensive for what it is though..like all good things i guess..
This looks like my experience with the P6.It is so expensive that my feeling was mitigated the first 2 weeks.I wasn't sure it is worth this money.Since then,the more I play it,the more I like it.It sounds beautiful and thick,classy.I go to the P6 even for bass sounds,though I have a Subsequent37 and SE-02.It has little modulations but it can accomplish a large palette of sounds anyways.I have absolutely zero regret that I chose the P6 over a P5!The HP filter and the analog distortion are very valuable features of the P6,for me.
Old 17th June 2021 | Show parent
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJe ➡️
This looks like my experience with the P6.It is so expensive that my feeling was mitigated the first 2 weeks.I wasn't sure it is worth this money.Since then,the more I play it,the more I like it.It sounds beautiful and thick,classy.I go to the P6 even for bass sounds,though I have a Subsequent37 and SE-02.It has little modulations but it can accomplish a large palette of sounds anyways.I have absolutely zero regret that I chose the P6 over a P5!The HP filter and the analog distortion are very valuable features of the P6,for me.
I expected to really value the HPF. I'm only on week 2 with a P6 but I haven't found any real use for it personally yet. By the time the dial gets to about 9 o'clock it's overkill. I understand is probably a pretty linear roll on, but by 12 o'clock it basically turns your sound into a special effect telephone styled sound that isn't actually functional. I'm probably the only person in the world that would love to see the full range of the dial end somewhere around 500 hz vs 20khz or wherever it tops out at.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bc ➡️
I expected to really value the HPF. I'm only on week 2 with a P6 but I haven't found any real use for it personally yet. By the time the dial gets to about 9 o'clock it's overkill. I understand is probably a pretty linear roll on, but by 12 o'clock it basically turns your sound into a special effect telephone styled sound that isn't actually functional. I'm probably the only person in the world that would love to see the full range of the dial end somewhere around 500 hz vs 20khz or wherever it tops out at.
I have an HPF on a monosynth, and I rarely use it, and, when I do, it's to just shave a few dbs off the very low end to clean things up. That's the only synth with an HPF - I don't seem to miss it on my others. I can easily EQ a thing, too.
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Give it time..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've had a similar experience and I've had Prophet 6 for over four years now. The highpass filter would be great if it was 6 dB instead of 12 dB. With 6 dB HPF I could roll off the low end a bit from chords without completely killing everything or making it sound unnatural as it does with the 12 dB filter.
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti H ➡️
I've had a similar experience and I've had Prophet 6 for over four years now. The highpass filter would be great if it was 6 dB instead of 12 dB. With 6 dB HPF I could roll off the low end a bit from chords without completely killing everything or making it sound unnatural as it does with the 12 dB filter.
Yes! That is a much better suggestion than limiting its range. And a perfect way of describing it, it does sound a bit unnatural. I was hoping to use it for rolling off some low end on pad sounds, maybe craft some nice synth choir sounds, but I haven't found it to be easy to dial in.
Old 17th June 2021
Kja
Lives for gear
If you give sounds a little bit of hpf envelope the sound starts to sound bandpassy and you can get all kinds of sounds from this all the way to very bandpassy and vowel like sounds, but i use it constantly for all kinds of things, try fm'ing something with a hpf.. You can do all kinds of stuff.. Even just getting more low end, or more resonate low end.. 6db would not give you the same resonance that it has either which is a whole other tool to use as well.
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Take the time to browse a lot of the factory presets.I think they have been well crafted because they show you all the potential of the P6.
HPF is powerful with modulation,envelope,lfo,aftertouch...Without modulation that's not very nice,I agree.
Resonance all the way up with envelope and distortion for an aggressive lead or bass is tasty.
In conjonction with the LP filter you also can do a BP filter.
Think the HP filter as a creative tool,not as a mixing tool.
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Take the time to browse a lot of the factory presets.I think they have been well crafted because they show you all the potential of the P6.
HPF is powerful with modulation,envelope,lfo,aftertouch...Without modulation that's not very nice,I agree.
Resonance all the way up with envelope and distortion for an aggressive lead or bass is tasty.
In conjonction with the LP filter you also can do a BP filter.
Think the HP filter as a creative tool,not as a mixing tool.
I’m sure that’s true.

Unfortunately I have found that the P6 presets are basically the worst on any synth I’ve ever owned. That’s pretty harsh but it might be true. Rev2, Ob6, Juno 106, DM12, S37, XD, have all had better presets. My attention span goes to hell when about 1 out 50 presets is worth exploring further.

I’m a bread and butter sounds guy. Pads, brass, strings, arpeggios, bass, poly sounds etc. it’s so ironic that the P6 is an all time great bread and butter synth with such a poor collection of those types of presets.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I’m sure that’s true.

Unfortunately I have found that the P6 presets are basically the worst on any synth I’ve ever owned. That’s pretty harsh but it might be true. Rev2, Ob6, Juno 106, DM12, S37, XD, have all had better presets. My attention span goes to hell when about 1 out 50 presets is worth exploring further.

I’m a bread and butter sounds guy. Pads, brass, strings, arpeggios, bass, poly sounds etc. it’s so ironic that the P6 is an all time great bread and butter synth with such a poor collection of those types of presets.
Completely agree here. At first I didn't like a single one of the 500 presets! But after a week I had filled the first 100 with my own gorgeoss patches .
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m sure that’s true.

I hate those stupid Permanent presets as well. Locked in presets are so ridiculous. I know you can with a LOT of extra effort overwrite them with an external editor buts that's a joke too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz ➡️
I hate those stupid Permanent presets as well. Locked in presets are so ridiculous. I know you can with a LOT of extra effort overwrite them with an external editor buts that's a joke too.
If it works the way I assume (you sending new patches with numbers >= 500), all you need is HxD and use a simple search and replace operation to change the bank number byte in .syx file. I did the same thing to move one of Luke Neptune's preset packs to a different bank as I was using the original bank for my own presets.

There's a group of bytes that starts every new patch in a sysex dump:
F0 01 2D 02 0x

You then use a simple hex search & replace to change all instances of "F0 01 2D 02 0x" to "F0 01 2D 02 0y" where 0x is the original bank and 0y is the bank you want to overwrite.
Old 17th June 2021
TJe
Lives for gear

My P6 sounded weird today under very warm temperatures ~30 degree celcius.Did you notice this issue with yours?
It is my first summer with the P6 actually.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My P6 sounded weird today under very warm temperatures ~30 degree celcius.Did you notice this issue with yours?
Did you run the autotune? (Preset+0)

The way autotuning on Prophet 6 (and OB-6) works is that it has a separate tuning table slot for every temperature. Then when playing, it uses the nearest tuning table (or maybe crossfades between two tables). That means if you've never autotuned it in particularly warm temperatures before, it will use the nearest stored table that was measured at a much cooler temp and the VCOs will likely be off somewhat.
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you run the autotune? (Preset+0)

The way autotuning on Prophet 6 (and OB-6) works is that it has a separate tuning table slot for every temperature. Then when playing, it uses the nearest tuning table (or maybe crossfades between two tables). That means if you've never autotuned it in particularly warm temperatures before, it will use the nearest stored table that was measured at a much cooler temp and the VCOs will likely be off somewhat.
Yes I did run the calibration routine 1 time but it still sounded like crap.Tonight after a fresh rainy afternoon it sounds dope again.
I have to calibrate it from time to time more often than my other analogs,I wonder if this is normal or not.

Thanks for your answer Antti.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I did run the calibration routine 1 time but it still sounded like crap.Tonight after a fresh rainy afternoon it sounds dope again.
I have to calibrate it from time to time more often than my other analogs,I wonder if this is normal or not.
In that case it might be broken. I'm currently waiting for Sequential to ship two voice cards in place of the two that have faulty resonance (it stops working when the synth heats up). TBF, they charge a fairly nominal price for that, so the annoyance is really just about the wait time and not about cost.

Mine doesn't usually go noticeably out of tune unless it's been a week or more since I last played it or my room temperature has significantly drifted (which usually means it's a long time since I played it at that temp). Even when it does, it's more about the VCOs having too much uncontrolled beating instead of being much actually out of tune.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m sure that’s true.

Wow that’s saying something because although I love my DM12 it had some pretty awful presets for the same reason.
Gear Maniac
My Prophet 6 arrived today. Plugged it in this evening and my goodness, it sounds wonderful. I am glad I bought this synth.

Cheers,
Steve
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I will say that upon first power-up of my new Prophet 6, it sounded most weird. I saw in the quick start to run the calibration as the first thing to do. I did so and it sounds fine thereafter. It is 30 degrees here in the UK today and VERY humid, perhaps that is a factor, as you say.
Gear Maniac
Is it possible to dim the brightness of the LEDs?
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 ➡️
Wow that’s saying something because although I love my DM12 it had some pretty awful presets for the same reason.
I remember the DM12 having many cool presets to offset the garbage ones. There were just way too damn many. Probably could have had a couple hundred strong ones instead of 1000 meh.

P6 really doesn’t have many standouts to offset the awful ones. There’s awful and meh and some in between. Nothing like the broken ep preset on the OB6 which are just amazing right out of the box.
Old 18th June 2021 | Show parent
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:
In that case it might be broken. I'm currently waiting for Sequential to ship two voice cards in place of the two that have faulty resonance (it stops working when the synth heats up). TBF, they charge a fairly nominal price for that, so the annoyance is really just about the wait time and not about cost.

Mine doesn't usually go noticeably out of tune unless it's been a week or more since I last played it or my room temperature has significantly drifted (which usually means it's a long time since I played it at that temp). Even when it does, it's more about the VCOs having too much uncontrolled beating instead of being much actually out of tune.
I will keep a closer watch on these voices the following days.Mine is 6 or 7 months old,so I am not keen on swapping voice cards.

My problem was similar to yours,drifting oscillators between voices and filter resonances sounding weird.
I think the extreme temperatures and humidity are the problem here.
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass2rez ➡️
I will say that upon first power-up of my new Prophet 6, it sounded most weird. I saw in the quick start to run the calibration as the first thing to do. I did so and it sounds fine thereafter. It is 30 degrees here in the UK today and VERY humid, perhaps that is a factor, as you say.
Yeah weather might be the problem,today my Subsequent 37 has tuning issues as well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I will keep a closer watch on these voices the following days.Mine is 6 or 7 months old,so I am not keen on swapping voice cards.

My problem was similar to yours,drifting oscillators between voices and filter resonances sounding weird.
I think the extreme temperatures and humidity are the problem here.
6-7 months is still within the warranty period IF your unit is actually faulty. Swapping the voice cards is easy as they are like normal DIMMs and you just need a normal screwdriver to open the case.
Old 19th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Does anyone know what the 1/4 inch Sequencer In socket expects as a signal to trigger the sequencer or arpeggiator?

I want to try using my Roland TR-8S Trigger Out to see if that will work, but I do not want to risk an incorrect signal and damage the Prophet 6.

My aim is to synchronise the Prophet sequencer to the drum machine.

Thanks,
Steve
TJe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know what the 1/4 inch Sequencer In socket expects as a signal to trigger the sequencer or arpeggiator?

I want to try using my Roland TR-8S Trigger Out to see if that will work, but I do not want to risk an incorrect signal and damage the Prophet 6.

Thanks,
Steve
Why don't you hook them in midi?The sequencer/arp will start and stop automatically.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Why don't you hook them in midi?The sequencer/arp will start and stop automatically.
Because I expected that the midi signal would also throw a whole load of "notes" corresponding the the drum sounds that are playing into the Prophet, and make a complete racket. Perhaps I'll try it and see.

P.S. I'd still quite like to know the answer to my question, even if the midi does work.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by bass2rez; 19th June 2021 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old 21st June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a TR8s and use the trigger out to clock the P6 sometimes, via its 1/4” jack. From memory you have to change the P6 seq jack settings via Globals - just cycle the options until it works. But you can also clock it via midi - the TR8s won’t send note out data to the P6 unless you want it to.

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
Old 21st June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz ➡️
Assuming the P6 behaves in the same way as the OB6 you can overwrite the preset banks with the contents of the user banks on the synth itself.

On the keyboard, hold down both transpose buttons and press 0 to copy the user banks to the preset banks, or 9 to copy the preset banks to the user banks. On the module, hold down 'hold' and portamento then press 0 or 9.

Back your presets up first to be safe.
📝 Reply