Sequential Prophet 6 - Page 251 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Prophet 6
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by constellation11 ➡️
I really love my P6 but I find the aftertouch to be pretty unusable.
I grew up as a classic piano player, and on the P6 I found that I have to press the key(s) very hard to have the aftertouch applied.
It's also very "on/off" – I tried the new AT curves too –, I can't get used to it.

Maybe I have a faulty unit?
Can you share your thoughts about your P6's AT ?

thanks
I’ve never played a Prophet 6 keyboard, but I had a Pro 2 from the same era and if anything I felt the aftertouch was too easy to apply. When I went from my Novation Remote to it, I always had to make a bit of an adjustment to my playing. The Pro 2 is gone, but I imagine it would be even worse now with the keyboard I’m using.
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But even before the effects I can't get the right oscillator sound.. And I can't understand where the problem is.

Why doest the pulse wave sounds SO different between P6 and repro ?
How did Yorke effectively manage to program that sound on his P6?
RePro isn’t a Prophet 6 emulation. I understand that there’s a lot of similarities between the 5 and the 6, but they’re not identical. Even when they can sound similar, the parameter ranges There are really too many issue with your experiment to really pinpoint your problem. Do we know Thom used a Prophet 6 on that track for that sound? He’s got a large selection of instruments to choose from. If it was a Prophet 6, what was it processed with?

I say keep experimenting, but don’t pass by cool sounds you find along the way.
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I’ve never played a Prophet 6 keyboard, but I had a Pro 2 from the same era and if anything I felt the aftertouch was too easy to apply.
The P6 and the Pro-2 don’t use the same Keybed. The keys from the Prophet 6 are definitely better. I had both at the same time.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq70 ➡️
The P6 and the Pro-2 don’t use the same Keybed. The keys from the Prophet 6 are definitely better. I had both at the same time.
That’s really odd.
Gear Head

Quote:
That’s really odd.
Why? they both has different key sizes 49 to 42. The keys from the prophet are more valuable. The pro-2 keys are in the class of the p12 Keys.
Gear Head

Quote:
One question for you les amis P6 owners.

I like trying to reproduce other artists' simple synth sounds from time to time.
This time I'm really struggling with this one (Yorke's Dawn Chorus): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1TiN-dBSxY

This comes very probably from Yorke's P6.
I really can't get close to it. I can't find the right oscillator waveform.

Thanks
I've seen in the studio pics that Thom is inseparable from his Prophet 8, so it's a decent guess that he did it on that.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq70 ➡️
Why? they both has different key sizes 49 to 42. The keys from the prophet are more valuable. The pro-2 keys are in the class of the p12 Keys.
It just seems to me like you’d order very similar keyboards for your top synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It just seems to me like you’d order very similar keyboards for your top synths.
Not necessarily - the Prophet-12 keybed is similar to those used on the CME controller keyboards, as I recall - and same as the Pro-2.

The others are, I believe, FATAR TP-9S, etc.
Old 4th May 2021
Kja
Lives for gear
I listened to it again, it sounds to me like a p6.. Infact i spent about 2 months creating the perfect rhodes and piano patches on my old p6 and i know i have heard that sound before when i was making my Rhodes.. I lost those though when i sold her.. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a p6.. Try using a inverted filter envelope and try messing with sync with the second oscillator fm the first.. I think that's what got me around that sound.. The filter is very low and it is very rhodesy.
Old 5th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I like trying to reproduce other artists' simple synth sounds from time to time.
This time I'm really struggling with this one (Yorke's Dawn Chorus): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1TiN-dBSxY

In YouTube it exists a tutorial to program it with Repro-5, and they uses the pulse waveform: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0F3U8SDro

I really can't get my P6's pulse waveform to sound anywhere like that, in any way. I seem to be very far from their sound.

My questions are:
1. Can you reproduce the sound from the album? With what osc settings?
2. About the tutorial with repro-5: why does a very basic patch like sounds SO different (and thin) in my P6?

Thanks
This is Prophet '08 triangle.
Is Satie's Gymnopedie related to the elements of this track(Yorke's Dawn Chorus)?
Attached Files

08_triangle.mp3 (2.84 MB, 2578 views)

Old 5th May 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
I agree the oscillators sounded weird though, like maybe some form of hollowing it out with either lfo fm or osc fm, or maybe play with the ring modulator, it can surprise you.
I'm curious though, why do you want to sound just like some other song made by someone else? I don't understand why anybody would want to do that? Is it for a cover band or something?
I don't think there's any ring modulator track, but.. HOW can repro5 be so close to the original (p6) just with a pluse wave?

I'm not trying to reproduce the sound to actually use it in my music, it's an exercice, synth programming learning / ears training with music I like!

Quote:
RePro isn’t a Prophet 6 emulation. I understand that there’s a lot of similarities between the 5 and the 6, but they’re not identical. Even when they can sound similar, the parameter ranges There are really too many issue with your experiment to really pinpoint your problem. Do we know Thom used a Prophet 6 on that track for that sound? He’s got a large selection of instruments to choose from. If it was a Prophet 6, what was it processed with?

I say keep experimenting, but don’t pass by cool sounds you find along the way.
Yeah, but the original is P6, not repro! (we know it from an interview)
it doesn't sound really processed..
I just can't... figure out how to program that sound on my P6.
I will keep experimenting, but it's frustrating not to be able to reproduce quite a simple patch like that one!

Quote:
I listened to it again, it sounds to me like a p6.. Infact i spent about 2 months creating the perfect rhodes and piano patches on my old p6 and i know i have heard that sound before when i was making my Rhodes.. I lost those though when i sold her.. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a p6.. Try using a inverted filter envelope and try messing with sync with the second oscillator fm the first.. I think that's what got me around that sound.. The filter is very low and it is very rhodesy.
Interesting, thanks! Do you think it can be two oscillators FM'd?! It sounds like one single oscillator sound to me (but I will try like you said, it could be a surprise).

Anyway, thanks everyone for your inputs!

If one of you synth wizards will ever be able to reproduce that sound on your P6, please let me know..!
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't think there's any ring modulator track, but.. HOW can repro5 be so close to the original (p6) just with a pluse wave?

I'm not trying to reproduce the sound to actually use it in my music, it's an exercice, synth programming learning / ears training with music I like!

Yeah, but the original is P6, not repro! (we know it from an interview)
it doesn't sound really processed..
I just can't... figure out how to program that sound on my P6.
I will keep experimenting, but it's frustrating not to be able to reproduce quite a simple patch like that one!

Interesting, thanks! Do you think it can be two oscillators FM'd?! It sounds like one single oscillator sound to me (but I will try like you said, it could be a surprise).

Anyway, thanks everyone for your inputs!

If one of you synth wizards will ever be able to reproduce that sound on your P6, please let me know..!
i will give it a shot this weekend on my P6! i think i might already have a sound saved where i tried this... and got pretty close (unless upon further inspection it turns out i didn't...hahah)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBerliner ➡️
i will give it a shot this weekend on my P6! i think i might already have a sound saved where i tried this... and got pretty close (unless upon further inspection it turns out i didn't...hahah)
Looking forward to read you this weekend, then!
Gear Addict
Quote:

In YouTube it exists a tutorial to program it with Repro-5, and they uses the pulse waveform: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0F3U8SDro

I really can't get my P6's pulse waveform to sound anywhere like that, in any way. I seem to be very far from their sound.

My questions are:
2. About the tutorial with repro-5: why does a very basic patch like sounds SO different (and thin) in my P6?

Thanks
Thanks to your reproduction with Repro-5 I was able to get close with my Modal 001. If I have time later, I will recreate this patch with 002 and 008 to check with more polyphony. Don't know about 008, but 001/002 has proper envelopes and I had to add some VCA attack to remove some clicking. Also: I don't hear need for noise, but thanks to Modal's mixer characteristics (clean without overdriving) I can clearly say that there is a lot of drive going on, since I had to dial mine to the max for better results. The thing that is impossible for me to match is missing filter characteristics. Now I know, what people mean, when they say "brassy". I get there halfway with... dialling over 65% of filter's resonance (84/128), while at Repro-5 it stays at zero.

I think that most important part of this sound is proper envelope dialling.

Nice exercise. Thank you!
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks

I tried to make a sound with a completely different synth.
This track is Roland Gaia SH-01.
Triangle wave.
Attached Files

gaia_sh_01.mp3 (1.76 MB, 2038 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I booted my p6 up to play today, and I noticed that when I move the hi-pass cutoff knob, the readout screen showed Key/octaves changing. I don't remember this happening - anyone know if that's normal, or what's going on?

Thanks for any info!

>> edit, I rebooted and now its not happening anymore.. strange!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
codeknobs editor

Hello
i bought few weeks ago the prophet 6 desktop .
Iam impressed with the synth!

i bought codeknobs vst editor to manage my sounds and libraries but i cannot find any manual for it.I contacted with the company but..no luck.Nobody responded.
Does anyone know where i can find the manual?>?
do you know if i can replasce a factory bank with a custm bank with this software?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBerliner ➡️
Hello man, did you finally manage to do that?
I'm still interested
Old 4 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Anybody notice the price went up by $100? Now it is $2900 and the ob6 is still $3000.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Some places are now selling the OB6 at $3099 so I think the price went up there too.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 ➡️
Some places are now selling the OB6 at $3099 so I think the price went up there too.
Yep, people say it's because of the component crisis but prices in US didn't change, only in the EU AFAIK. It may very well be Focusrite new pricing policy for all we know.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 ➡️
Yep, people say it's because of the component crisis but prices in US didn't change, only in the EU AFAIK. It may very well be Focusrite new pricing policy for all we know.
Prices have changed/are changing in the US, too. I see the new prices pretty much anywhere I look.
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 ➡️
oh yes i think you are right, perfect circuit has ob6 for $3100.. Maybe it is just the old price until new stock is sold. Anyway they have gone up quite a bit.. I got my first p6 b stock for $1800 back in 2017!! Not it is $2300 for a b stock and that seems hardly ever in stock.. I paid $2100 for my current p6 b stock like six months ago!!
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Anybody notice the price went up by $100? Now it is $2900 and the ob6 is still $3000.
Yeah, I just checked Guitar Center and saw both went up $100. Glad I bought both when I did at 16% off the former prices.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Sweetwater seemed to be the last holdover on old pricing for Prophet 5 and 10 modules. At the moment, modules are still the original price. I noticed Musician's Friend changed prices first. Glad I just went for the P10 module before the price change.

Now how about an OB-X?! Saving up points for one!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Could the price increase be due to the Focusrite acquisition?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Wait.... you can do piano on the P6?? How?
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➡️
Wait.... you can do piano on the P6?? How?
I really.. really.. Wish i knew how to save the patch when i sold my old p6.. It was really good.. But yes, it was a pretty convincing piano. It took me months of tweaking tiny tweaks to get it just right and it was always a compromise, if you get the top end have the right hammer dry sound of high keys the filter tracking will mess up the lower where you need a bloomy plucky sound. I got it about perfect.. Still at best it was the equivalent of about early ninties romplers.. Not that great, but for a analog it was amazing.. I made a pretty decent rhodes too!! P6 is amazing!!
Maybe one day i will try again within my new p6, with patience you can make about anything, the envelopes are so good!!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Prices will be going up on just about everything. My bicycle cog went from $13 to $41 in a few months. There is a reason I have stocked up on my drum sticks over the last year. The writing has been on the wall for a long time. I am glad I got my wish list completed before now. Hyperinflation and rigged shortages will be the new normal. On purpose by mistake.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Announcing the Low Frequency Expander 3.0, with all-new front panel designs and a major firmware upgrade including polyphonic modulations using MPE for the P6 and OB-6 and Arpeggiator, available from June 2021. The firmware upgrade is free to all users.

All new front panel designs which are more attractive and with clearer labelling.

MPE Midi Polyphonic Expression. For the OB-6 and Prophet 6, the LFE can send modulations to each of the synth’s voices independently, so it will send polyphonic rather than global modulations. Each of the LFE’s 4 modulators on its front panel now operates 7 modulators ‘under the hood’ (1 global and 1 per voice), so the LFE is actually running 7 independent envelope/sequencers and 21 LFOs. As the LFE also allows MPE to work in Poly Chain mode, giving you 12 voices of MPE and 13 envelope/sequencers and 37 LFOs. There are also MPE Spread settings that allow each of the LFOs run at slightly different frequencies and the envelopes to run with slightly different slope times, allowing ‘vintage’ type variations between voices.

Aux midi channel. The LFE can now split its modulations between two different Midi Channels, so you can for example, send LFO 1 and LFO 3 to channel 1 and LFO2 and the envelope to channel 13. You can also set up the LFE to send a new Bank and Program number on the Aux channel every time the LFE changes patch. This allows you to change the Program of an attached FX unit or second synth, to your own choice of Program number, every time the primary synth changes patches.

Arpeggiator. The LFE now has an Arpeggiator, primarily for Prophet 5 / 10 and Voyager users. It has Up, Down, Up-Down, Down-Up, Random and Played-Order modes, 1 to 4 octaves, the usual clock sync multipliers and a Key Hold function. There is also a Gate length control, adjustable up to 200%, for overlapping notes.

OLEDs are available in white, blue, green or yellow. Batch 7 starts shipping this month and prices are held despite the global component supply situation.

Bigger images:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdgzmt2uzk...F0198.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjlskwra3d...F0202.JPG?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
Sequential Prophet 6-dscf0202.jpg   Sequential Prophet 6-dscf0184.jpg  
📝 Reply