Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Jack Conte is a master of the P6
Old 24th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Couldn't maybe they have found a stand for the P6 at higher than knee-level for the person playing it?
I thought that the appearance of playing happily was very nice and impressive.
That's great.
Old 24th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️

beautiful sounding!!!
she sounds just like Edie Brickell.

Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️

beautiful sounding!!!
Even though it’s a Prophet 6, somehow it sounds like the Emulator 2 strings chords from Pet Shop Boys West End Girls at 0:30 into the video.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I did some detailed analysis of the Prophet 6 Vintage Knob... plus offer up some recommendations / a feature request for some adjustments that I think could improve it to have better vintage character at lower knob values, and be more usable up toward 3/4 or even max position without extreme dissonance.

FYI: I didn't mention in the video: I know the initial response might just be "well, just turn the knob down, problem solved"... while that holds true for many other situations, it doesn't work well in this case, because this one knob controls a large variety of different offsets, and some of them are off by different magnitudes. ie: In my opinion, the Osc 1/2 tuning total offset range is perfect, the ADR timing offsets need to be scaled down by 2x, and the Cutoff variance needs to be scaled back by 5x or so to be more musical/usable. So, if I turn the dial way back to avoid the extreme dissonance in filter variance, then I loose all the interesting offsets to Osc tuning per voice.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yes creativespiral this is spot on re the vintage knob, I feel the same.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface ➡️
Yes creativespiral this is spot on re the vintage knob, I feel the same.
Same, except that Unison mode should have different behavior/scaling.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral ➡️
I did some detailed analysis of the Prophet 6 Vintage Knob... plus offer up some recommendations / a feature request for some adjustments that I think could improve it to have better vintage character at lower knob values, and be more usable up toward 3/4 or even max position without extreme dissonance.
Thanks for your work and thanks for being so open about this.

As you said, there should be a standard for circuit-behaviour like for tuning-tables - so you can easily load interesting 'behaviour models' into different synths. Add a scaling macro knob for the intensities and there you go!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow!! Great !!!
Prophet 6 !!!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I really love my P6 but I find the aftertouch to be pretty unusable.
I grew up as a classic piano player, and on the P6 I found that I have to press the key(s) very hard to have the aftertouch applied.
It's also very "on/off" – I tried the new AT curves too –, I can't get used to it.

Maybe I have a faulty unit?
Can you share your thoughts about your P6's AT ?

thanks
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by constellation11 ➡️
I really love my P6 but I find the aftertouch to be pretty unusable.
I grew up as a classic piano player, and on the P6 I found that I have to press the key(s) very hard to have the aftertouch applied.
It's also very "on/off" – I tried the new AT curves too –, I can't get used to it.

Maybe I have a faulty unit?
Can you share your thoughts about your P6's AT ?

thanks
In contrast I find the aftertouch on the P6 to be one of the most easy to control of all the keyboards I have played. However the velocity response always seemed a bit off to me. I don't have the P6 anymore so can't say what curve AT is set to, but for someone who learned keys on lighter actions I have no problem using it gradually without having to mash the keys hard. Maybe something is wrong with the keybed on your unit?
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 ➡️
In contrast I find the aftertouch on the P6 to be one of the most easy to control of all the keyboards I have played. However the velocity response always seemed a bit off to me. I don't have the P6 anymore so can't say what curve AT is set to, but for someone who learned keys on lighter actions I have no problem using it gradually without having to mash the keys hard. Maybe something is wrong with the keybed on your unit?
Thank you for the feedback.
Seems like I have to find another P6 to play to see if there's any big difference with mine, then.
Any other experience, P6 owners?
Old 2 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
My newly built one has much better response from my earlier one from around 2017, the old one felt more like pressing on a bubble. The new one is about perfect. I agree the velocity seems very off and on, specially the amp velocity, i find it just about unusable and almost never turn it on. The filter velocity is really bad but i still use it at least.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 ➡️
In contrast I find the aftertouch on the P6 to be one of the most easy to control of all the keyboards I have played. However the velocity response always seemed a bit off to me.
Same here, no problems with aftertouch on my P6 (from 2020). If i put velocity up on the ENV, i don't like it very much. But the keyboard is one of the better ones.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by constellation11 ➡️
Thank you for the feedback.
Seems like I have to find another P6 to play to see if there's any big difference with mine, then.
Any other experience, P6 owners?
I have an early p6, and yes I find the after touch to be of little use, I feel as if I may snap a key in half sometimes, using it.

I find velocity works just fine. It's not a dx7 keybed in that department but it's alright.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There have been no changes to the key bed used in the Prophet 6 since it first began production. We did improve the aftertouch response on the latest available BETA OS. It can be found here:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,97.0.html

Note that you must be registered and logged in to view/download the file.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
There have been no changes to the key bed used in the Prophet 6 since it first began production. We did improve the aftertouch response on the latest available BETA OS. It can be found here:

Note that you must be registered and logged in to view/download the file.
Didn't mean to sound complaining, been meaning to try out the new beta!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️

Why not directly the 1.6.7 stable release?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Because I forgot that we posted it after several beers on Saturday night!

https://www.sequential.com/updating-the-prophet-6-os/

📝 Reply