The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I remember Nick's general sentiment as "...why are things this way? I don't get it." Which is understandable: synth is idiosyncratic in many respects, it strays from the pack, and some decisions are head scratchers, but he was positive about the sound and capabilities.

He didn't bash the thing, he was just puzzled/confused by it.

edit: Why red text on a shiny black background next to bright lights? Why are all the sounds saved together? Why no edit knob? Why no drums when there are drums on the small one? Why is that filter broken? Why is the SNS PWM broken? Why didn't you make something familiar and easy to understand Roland? Etc.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
I remember Nick's general sentiment as "...why are things this way? I don't get it." Which is understandable: synth is idiosyncratic in many respects, it strays from the pack, and some decisions are head scratchers, but he was positive about the sound and capabilities.

He didn't bash the thing, he was just puzzled/confused by it.

edit: Why red text on a shiny black background next to bright lights? Why are all the sounds saved together? Why no edit knob? Why no drums when there are drums on the small one? Why is that filter broken? Why is the SNS PWM broken? Why didn't you make something familiar and easy to understand Roland? Etc.

Roland has the tendency to have brilliant ideas, but the first attempt at realizing these ideas in actual products tends to be odd or out of place. Usually by the second or third iteration they get it right, more or less.

For example, when Roland decided to play catch up in the workstation market, they released the Fantom. Nice sounding workstation, but no sampling? Korg and Yamaha had workstations with sampling for years before. So they hurriedly released the Fantom S. It wasn't until the Fantom X that they were on par. Then they released the Fantom G and later the Jupiter 80 but hadn't yet figured out where they were going with SuperNatural. That had to wait until the Integra 7. The Jupiter 80 also had its head scratching features and never really caught on.

I bought a JD-XA second hand a few months ago, and I can see it's going to take some getting used to. That being said, it's a brilliant synth and I plan to keep it. I could sit and just do sound design on that synth for hours. But certain design choices in the JD-XA like the (non)visibility of the panel have me scratching my head. I know they were continuing the AIRA motif with those color choices, etc., but they should know by now that lack of contrast makes it hard to see even in good light.

The TR-8 was another near miss that was somewhat rectified later by the TR-8S. On the subject, they should really just release the add-ons to TR-8 users at no cost, since they overpriced them and then made them non-available.

Roland has always had a problem figuring out how to capitalize on their legacy of great synths and drum machines while also moving forward technologically. People STILL want that TR-808, TR-909, System 100, Jupiter 8, Juno 106, and D50 sound. I can think of no other synth company with so many classic synths and sounds that are still in high demand.

The fact that Roland released a polyphonic analog synth AT ALL is to me a pretty big breakthrough. But the build quality on the JD-XA is so fragile that I probably wouldn't gig with it.
Old 30th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is there a way to tell the exact value the mod wheel is currently in other than just by looking at it's physical position? Reason being I have a patch that has the mod wheel almost half way up but a fraction either way and the sound changes quite a bit. I want to edit the patch so that the sound is how I like it with the mod wheel fully down.
Old 30th December 2020
Deleted 72b6a74
Would there be any way to approximate the CELESTIAL SPHERES patches on Fantom without actually owning a JDXA?

I know at least some of the patches have partials that are in the Fantom. I recognize Fireflies for example.
Deleted 72b6a74
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
Is there a way to tell the exact value the mod wheel is currently in other than just by looking at it's physical position? Reason being I have a patch that has the mod wheel almost half way up but a fraction either way and the sound changes quite a bit. I want to edit the patch so that the sound is how I like it with the mod wheel fully down.
Does holding shift and wiggling the mod wheel not work?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 72b6a74 ➡️
That will tell you the control that the Mod Wheel is effecting, but not it's value.
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 72b6a74 ➡️
No it doesn't unfortunately as JDoo mentioned. I was hoping holding Exit and moving the Mod wheel would display its position value as this works on the dials and sliders.
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Watching Bowie 5 year tribute concert and Nick Rhodes has a JD-XA with all black keys. It looks really cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 ➡️
Watching Bowie 5 year tribute concert and Nick Rhodes has a JD-XA with all black keys. It looks really cool.
Picture?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 ➡️
It's a marketing deal tho.
He uses it just as a midi controller.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
Picture?
Why the pic was upside down I have no idea.

I give up. Posted both ways. Must hate iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland JD-XA,... WOWZA.-79b0925e-11a4-4062-b67d-67691ed45f3e.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh yeah, looks sooooooooo nice, thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 ➡️
It's a marketing deal tho.
He uses it just as a midi controller.
I wouldn't be entirely surprised, as both tiers were Roland products. Still, I was charmed to see it there - opening up such a fascinating and meaningful show.
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy ➡️
Would there be any way to approximate the CELESTIAL SPHERES patches on Fantom without actually owning a JDXA?

I know at least some of the patches have partials that are in the Fantom. I recognize Fireflies for example.
That's an interesting question. I have gone down the route of trying to manually duplicate several patches from the JD-XA on the Fantom. In theory, this should be possible for the most part.

In practice, I always end up getting distracted. I have a string-machine patch I created on the JD-XA which is so lovely (IMHO) that it stopped from buying a used ARP Omni2. I started to duplicate it on the Fantom, and then got going on an exploratory journey that ended up with a very different-sounding, but equally beautiful pad sound.

That seems to be how it goes for me. I already have the JD-XA, so once I start exploring/experimenting, the new sound becomes more important to achieve/save.

Last edited by ZT Scheer; 26th January 2021 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Deleted 72b6a74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer ➡️
That's an interesting question. I gone down the route of trying to manually duplicate several patches from the JD-XA on the Fantom. In theory, this should be possible for the most part.

In practice, I always end up getting distracted. I have a string-machine patch I created on the JD-XA which is so lovely (IMHO) that it stopped from buying a used ARP Omni2. I started to duplicate it on the Fantom, and then got going on an exploratory journey that ended up with a very different-sounding, but equally beautiful pad sound.

That seems to be how it goes for me. I already have the JD-XA, so once I start exploring/experimenting, the new sound becomes more important to achieve/save.
This video is chock full of beautiful patches, somehow they just sounds so different to Fantom to me. Different effects?

Red Giant patch @ 4:15 is awe inspiring.

Old 22nd January 2021
Here for the gear
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but what is currently the best software option for editing the JD-XA? I know there was previously the Memory Splice editor, but it appears to no longer be available (which I see was noted in this very thread back in October 2018).
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzene Sea ➡️
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but what is currently the best software option for editing the JD-XA? I know there was previously the Memory Splice editor, but it appears to no longer be available (which I see was noted in this very thread back in October 2018).
Hi!
Sorry, but no software editor exists for the JD-Xa. It would surely speed up the process when editing the digital engine, plus getting a visual overview of the parts parameters would be helpful.
Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Thanks so much for sharing that, kcearl... it's very helpful!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Don't mind me just want to drop this here so that I can find it again in the future.
It's an old Gaz Williams quote from back when the JD-Xa was revealed (~25:45):
[...] here's this really great instrument, for me that's much more interesting than all the other Roland releases [of Spring 2015] for me personally cause I see this as this new frontiere that I'm really quite excited about this marriage of analog and digital in such a way utilising the best of both worlds. I feel I might have had a tiny influence in the creation of this cause I went to a meeting with the Roland guys a couple of years ago along with a few others and we were really pushing this idea at them and they were being quite adamant that they weren't gonna go this way so it's quite interesting that they've chosen to do this so I think that they have bowed to a certain amount of public pressure [...]
📝 Reply