Do you like your Yamaha CS15D? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you like your Yamaha CS15D?
Old 10th January 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Do you like your Yamaha CS15D?

Hello,

Im just about to get a Yamaha CS15D but i would like to have some feedbacks about this analog synth.

It dosent have a lot of user reviews about this synth...

So do you like it? Good bass?

Thanks
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great bass, but not Moog bass, it's a beautiful sounding instrument. Some of the presets use a Bandpass filter.

Did you watch Marc Doty's video? It's educational
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroy ➡️
Hello,

Im just about to get a Yamaha CS15D but i would like to have some feedbacks about this analog synth.

It dosent have a lot of user reviews about this synth...

So do you like it? Good bass?

Thanks
Damn you
Sincerly
The next one who sent that guy a mail when price dropped.

Ive got a CS15 though, and dont expect the 15D to be nearly as flexible, but the underlying tone is nice, the best bass will be from presets probably as the high pass isnt selectable in manual.
And no ext input.
My thought was to either just collect it in the family (with CS15 and D85) or trade it for an SK20.

If youre not impressed and/or theres a few more small troubles that wasnt mentioned, Ill take it for what you paid.
Which is about 1000+ (kr) below market value of working one Id say.
I can fix/mod it myself so not to bothered with quirks.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is no Highpass on the D apparently, well, technically there is, but the presets only use Bandpass or low pass mode, and the manual mode has only low pass. So it would take a significant amount of work to address the preset filter, which technically does have the components for Highpass (a Bandpass filter is just a low pass and high pass in serial) in that mode.

Still, a lovely sounding synth.
Old 10th January 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
Great bass, but not Moog bass, it's a beautiful sounding instrument. Some of the presets use a Bandpass filter.

Did you watch Marc Doty's video? It's educational
Great, yes i watch it, it convince me.

Cant wait to try it!
Old 10th January 2015
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was considering this one as well. I didn't really look into it, but would it be easy to make a breakout box with knobs for the preset-only layer? If the presets are just different sets of resistors for each parameter, just remove them from one of the presets and make it so there are pots between those points and voila? Or?
Old 10th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➡️
I was considering this one as well. I didn't really look into it, but would it be easy to make a breakout box with knobs for the preset-only layer? If the presets are just different sets of resistors for each parameter, just remove them from one of the presets and make it so there are pots between those points and voila? Or?
lovely synth , add some reverb or delay and its a really nice pallette of sounds.
Old 25th March 2020
Deleted 5a55dd9
Resurrecting this old thread as I'm just about to receive a 15D

I'd like to ask anyone with a CS15-D how they control it with midi, I know it has an odd CV system so any good recommendations for a midi to CV converter ?

Kenton I presume ?

Thanks
Old 26th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Yep! Kenton is the ticket.

I use a Kenton Pro Solo to interface with mine and it works beautifully. One pro tip is to get some splitters and trigger both synths at the same time. She’s a great little synth. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCHESTRION ➡️
Resurrecting this old thread as I'm just about to receive a 15D

I'd like to ask anyone with a CS15-D how they control it with midi, I know it has an odd CV system so any good recommendations for a midi to CV converter ?

Kenton I presume ?

Thanks
Deleted 5a55dd9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrumjaago ➡️
I use a Kenton Pro Solo to interface with mine and it works beautifully. One pro tip is to get some splitters and trigger both synths at the same time. She’s a great little synth. Enjoy!
Thanks Vrumjaago

What are these splitters you've mentioned ?

Also if I use the Kenton with a splitter can I assign the two different CS15-D synths to different midi channels ?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Some clarification

Sorry. I should have clarified. I meant splitter cables. e.g. Kenton CV out to splitter cable then CS-15 CV in 1 and 2 and same with the gate. If you had two Kenton boxes you can use the CS-15 like two monosynths.

Quote:
Thanks Vrumjaago

What are these splitters you've mentioned ?

Also if I use the Kenton with a splitter can I assign the two different CS15-D synths to different midi channels ?
Old 26th March 2020
TJT
Lives for gear
The beatstep pro works really well with my CS-15. It sends hz/volt to both oscillators and envelopes on two separate channels. So, you can fully sequence it like two separate synths all from the Arturia. It also works as a through put midi to CV converter (like the Kenton) so you can sequence it from your Daw. The only drawback to the Beatstep Pro is that the power connector is a USB c port which is prone to breaking, so it's best for studio use only.
Old 27th March 2020
Deleted 5a55dd9
Thanks so much guys

Both the Kenton and Beatstep are good, I will now investigate further

For over 5 years now I've wanted a mint condition CS15-D, I finally found one that looks brand new, I'm waiting whilst it's in transit from Japan and I'm excited as well as concerned due to shipping delays due to the corona epidemic.

Bad timing I know !
Old 27th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you're into DIY, there's a cool mod to replace the preset section with a copy of the voice 2 controls...

more here: https://anlage-e.de/cs15d-channel-1-...ion-mainboard/

Old 27th March 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 5a55dd9
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter ➡️
If you're into DIY, there's a cool mod to replace the preset section with a copy of the voice 2 controls...

more here: https://anlage-e.de/cs15d-channel-1-...ion-mainboard/

You've just got to admire his skill doing this, I doubt we will see many having this treatment over say a Poly 800 mod etc

But has he essentially just created a CS15 , I wonder what uniqueness this mod provides ?
Old 17th April 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 5a55dd9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT ➡️
The beatstep pro works really well with my CS-15. It sends hz/volt to both oscillators and envelopes on two separate channels. So, you can fully sequence it like two separate synths all from the Arturia. It also works as a through put midi to CV converter (like the Kenton) so you can sequence it from your Daw. The only drawback to the Beatstep Pro is that the power connector is a USB c port which is prone to breaking, so it's best for studio use only.
Well I brought a Beatstep pro and connected it up tonight

Beatstep Pro Seq 1 CV Pitch --------------- to ---------- CS15D CV 1 in

Beatstep Pro Seq 1 Gate -------------------- to ---------- CS15D Trigger 1 in

Then I went into Beatstep Pro settings and changed to Hz/Volt and S/trig for the Seq 1 boxes

And I can control pitch and note on from my Midi keyboard but the note is constantly sustaining. I have tried switching all of the other settings in the boxes but the note is constantly being held no matter what changes I make.

The only way to kill the note is to disconnect the lead to the Trigger in on my CS15D

Any ideas ? and how is yours set up if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:

Then I went into Beatstep Pro settings and changed to Hz/Volt and S/trig for the Seq 1 boxes

And I can control pitch and note on from my Midi keyboard but the note is constantly sustaining. I have tried switching all of the other settings in the boxes but the note is constantly being held no matter what changes I make.

The only way to kill the note is to disconnect the lead to the Trigger in on my CS15D

Thanks
I have a CS-15. So, it's a cousin to the CS-15D.

But, the settings are the same. HZ/Volt and S-trig.

I would suggest updating the Beatstep Pro firmware.

Then, you should disconnect your Beatstep Pro USB cable from your computer (if you don't have the Y connector for power/data, get it), and disconnect the Midi input as well. This will eliminate the possiblilty that it's a midi loop causing the sustain.

If the synth is still sustaining nonstop when triggered, I'm not sure. Check your envelope settings I guess, and cut your sustain level to zero to troubleshoot..
Deleted 5a55dd9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT ➡️
I have a CS-15. So, it's a cousin to the CS-15D.

But, the settings are the same. HZ/Volt and S-trig.

I would suggest updating the Beatstep Pro firmware.

Then, you should disconnect your Beatstep Pro USB cable from your computer (if you don't have the Y connector for power/data, get it), and disconnect the Midi input as well. This will eliminate the possiblilty that it's a midi loop causing the sustain.

If the synth is still sustaining nonstop when triggered, I'm not sure. Check your envelope settings I guess, and cut your sustain level to zero to troubleshoot..

Hi, thanks for such a speedy reply

I checked the firmware and it's up to date, I'm using the Y connector and have isolated what I can along the way but nothing seems to halt the sustained note.

So like I say all is working fine using the beatstep pro, pitch tracking is good and all notes trigger as they should but will constantly sustain, no level adjustments on the CS panel stops it .

Now if I disconnect the Beatstep pro and test the 15D on its own I noticed that if I plug a mono 1/4 TS lead into either trig in 1 or 2 the sound will still constantly sustain, so I'm now wondering if my CS is at fault.
I'm totally new to CV and this is my first venture into using CV, so is my 15D operating as it should ?
Old 18th April 2020 | Show parent
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi, thanks for such a speedy reply

I checked the firmware and it's up to date, I'm using the Y connector and have isolated what I can along the way but nothing seems to halt the sustained note.

So like I say all is working fine using the beatstep pro, pitch tracking is good and all notes trigger as they should but will constantly sustain, no level adjustments on the CS panel stops it .

Now if I disconnect the Beatstep pro and test the 15D on its own I noticed that if I plug a mono 1/4 TS lead into either trig in 1 or 2 the sound will still constantly sustain, so I'm now wondering if my CS is at fault.
I'm totally new to CV and this is my first venture into using CV, so is my 15D operating as it should ?
The only thing I can think is that on the cs-15d, there is a weird "sustain" knob, separate from the envelope controls. You should try that at the "s" setting, and the "l" setting and see if it makes a difference, and also play with changing presets and see if there's a change. I'm not totally familiar with the functions of that particular synth.

Is the power to this synth being converted to US voltage (or wherever you're located) from Japanese voltage?

Also, if you have another synth in your studio that can take CV and gate, you can try to send from the beatstep and make sure that the problem is your CS-15d, and not the Beatstep.
Old 19th April 2020
Deleted 5a55dd9
Oh well a happy outcome for me

I brought a Kenton Pro Solo to replace the BSP and it works like a charm. It's really cool actually because you get an extra LFO, Portamento and ADSR which open up even more possibilities for the CS15-D

What was missing inside the Beatstep Pro was the S-Trig didn't have a +5V to +15V pull up option which is needed for the 15D because the release for the note requires more volts (that's why it was constantly sustaining)

Some other Yamaha CS synths don't need this hence the confusion

So a hard lesson learned

Got a CS15-D ----------- Get a Kenton Pro Solo !!!!!
Old 20th April 2020 | Show parent
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh well a happy outcome for me

I brought a Kenton Pro Solo to replace the BSP and it works like a charm. It's really cool actually because you get an extra LFO, Portamento and ADSR which open up even more possibilities for the CS15-D

What was missing inside the Beatstep Pro was the S-Trig didn't have a +5V to +15V pull up option which is needed for the 15D because the release for the note requires more volts (that's why it was constantly sustaining)

Some other Yamaha CS synths don't need this hence the confusion

So a hard lesson learned

Got a CS15-D ----------- Get a Kenton Pro Solo !!!!!
Ah..okay. Yeah, I have both. The Pro Solos are good too. You can still use your beatstep pro and just send midi out to the Kenton.
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:

Thanks

Hey, I recently got myself an Arturia Keystep Pro and to make it talk to my Yamaha CS15D I had to use this neat cable trick: http://gliglisynth.blogspot.com/2019...-cs-10-cv.html

The trigger out jack is used, and you need to get yourself a couple of resistors and do some soldering.

As stated on the page (in the comments): Basically it uses negative voltage coming from the "trig out" jack thru a resistor to pull down the trigger when the BSP does not assert it

It works, and I can now sequence the two CS15D channels separately.

Since there is only one trigger out jack on the synth, I had to add two resistors to the same connector – both channels can not use the same resistor.
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 5a55dd9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkos ➡️
Hey, I recently got myself an Arturia Keystep Pro and to make it talk to my Yamaha CS15D I had to use this neat cable trick: http://gliglisynth.blogspot.com/2019...-cs-10-cv.html

The trigger out jack is used, and you need to get yourself a couple of resistors and do some soldering.

As stated on the page (in the comments): Basically it uses negative voltage coming from the "trig out" jack thru a resistor to pull down the trigger when the BSP does not assert it

It works, and I can now sequence the two CS15D channels separately.

Since there is only one trigger out jack on the synth, I had to add two resistors to the same connector – both channels can not use the same resistor.
Cool ! glad you got that working, I did read about doing this but my electronics knowledge and soldering skill is poor.

I'm now using the Kenton to control both channels together which isn't as versatile as yours, I do however have the extra LFO and Portamento which adds some modulation tricks, oddly the onboard Portamento is disabled when using the CV (not sure why ?) so I'm pleased the Kenton gives it back.

Is there anything else the Keystep Pro adds ? might look into this cable in the future if it's worth it ?

Are you enjoying playing your 15D ? It's such a lovely sounding mono
Old 28th August 2020
Here for the gear
Those are some really nice features, to be able to add portamento and another LFO! Can't do that with the Keystep unfortunately (as I far as I know at the moment).

The Keystep Pro is of course so much more than a midi/cv converter, since it's got four sequencer/arpeggiator tracks onboard with a plethora of tricks you can do to alter sequences and arpeggios.

Stuff you can do with a decent DAW also, or another sequencer, of course. For me, it's a nice way to stay away from the DAW and be creative by sequencing a bunch of synths – and with the added bonus of including my old beloved CS15D into the game.

The CS15D was the first synthesizer I got, back in 1984, and it's been with me ever since. Too much nostalgia involved that I would never trade or sell it.

The synthesis isn't that complex, to be fair, but the tone is warm and round, and you can create really nice basses with it. Adding the two channels together can result in really interesting layered sounds. Some of the presets use a bandpass filter, so adding a slow LFO filter sweep to both channels where one is using bandpass filter and the other lowpass filter is really fun.

So, all in all, I like it a lot, and the lead sounds I carved out back in the 80's was such a huge part of the our band's sound at the time.

Hope you'll have lots of fun with yours!
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenanMarkos ➡️
Hey, I recently aquired a CS-15D and am trying to trigger it! I have two of the regular old Arturia Keysteps so my plan was to trigger both layers of the synth with two seperate Keysteps.

Would I need to make two of these cables? Would I have to make the cables different in any way?
Yeah, you need to make two cables, but they join in the CS end where both trig ins need a resistor connected to the trig out. So, separate cables in the Keystep end but joined at the CS end.

Hope that was understandable
📝 Reply