Quantcast
If Roland re-released the Jupiter 8…. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If Roland re-released the Jupiter 8….
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If Roland re-released the Jupiter 8….

NAMM 2015 Press Release – Roland Corporation announced today that they will re-release the iconic Jupiter 8. All of the original chips and parts have been put into reproduction. The only changes are a giant OLED screen for patch names and keyboard aftertouch. Roland Corporation president Mr. Jun-ichi Miki said “I was listening to that 10,000 Maniacs Song where it says “give them what they want” and was like – “yeah, let’s do this.” The project is a partnership with recent Beats billionaire Dr. Dre who put 50 million dollars into a partnership to set up the production factory, and stated “I told them it has to be exactly the same, I just need that sound.”
  • No matter what every Gearslut would believe the original sounded better
  • Prices of the original would still go up in value
  • Some would see this as a religious event, get face tatoos and form weird synthesizer cults that live in the desert and only record with Linux DAWS

Last edited by drockfresh; 6th November 2014 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
...and I would still think it was the most over-rated synthesizer ever built
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Man this is one crazy news.

Thanks for the info
Old 6th November 2014

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
  • No matter what every Gearslut would believe the original sounded better
this is not what happened with the MS20
Quote:
this is not what happened with the MS20

Quote:
  • Some would see this as a religious event, get face tatoos and form weird synthesizer cults that live in the desert and only record with Linux DAWS
maybe
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
i think they'd drop, probably quite a bit if they did a mini-jupiter like korg did with their ms20.

musicians who gig, those who want USB/MIDI, and those who wouldn't consider the sound difference significant would buy the new one, dropping price pressure on the original J8 (if the price on the new one wasn't insane, i'd be one of those buyers lol)

ie: right now, two original Korg MS-20's are listed on my local CL for $1250 & $1500... two years back MS-20's listed here for $2K.
Old 6th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➡️
...and I would still think it was the most over-rated synthesizer ever built
Did you ever own a JP-8? If not: How many minutes or hours did you ever play and program a JP-8? Thanks in advance...
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The problem would be the price. [insert beating dead horse emoticon]

If the United Nations subsidized the re-release of the Jupiter 8 as a step toward world peace, so that you could buy a new Jupe for $1,000, it would annihilate all memory of the original. Flowers would bloom and little birds would sing.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This topic again?
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone please post that jupiter 8 widows picture again?
It always makes me smile.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As long as Beats is involved, I wouldn't go near it. Otherwise, I'd be interested, price permitting.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves ➡️
Did you ever own a JP-8? If not: How many minutes or hours did you ever play and program a JP-8? Thanks in advance...
Had one for 2 years whilst at film school. Used it on most sound projects. It was a good synth, but I just didn't think it was anything special. Prophet 5 and OBXa just do more for my ears. I'm being totally honest. I just have always found it odd, how people take it personally and are shocked and offended when you express your honest opinion for this synth, but are happy to casually riducule other synths freely without question. It genuinely didn't rock my boat, ..sorry.

I think if a new version was released now, it would attract a lot of attention, yes many would immediately try and find a 'difference' to the original, and yes it would cost a lot to produce, but I don't think it would de-value the original's price however.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just as long as its not called the Jupiter Wolf.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Best thread of November hands down. But whats a jupiter 8???
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not finding anything concerning this in any press releases. Link? Or is this speculative BS?

Never mind, I just noticed this thread title started with "if". Back to life.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If Roland did re-release the Jupiter 8...

it would be digital.
Old 6th November 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
Roland Corp please, please make sure the filter is analogue if you release anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➡️
Had one for 2 years whilst at film school. Used it on most sound projects. It was a good synth, but I just didn't think it was anything special. Prophet 5 and OBXa just do more for my ears. I'm being totally honest. I just have always found it odd, how people take it personally and are shocked and offended when you express your honest opinion for this synth, but are happy to casually riducule other synths freely without question. It genuinely didn't rock my boat, ..sorry.

I think if a new version was released now, it would attract a lot of attention, yes many would immediately try and find a 'difference' to the original, and yes it would cost a lot to produce, but I don't think it would de-value the original's price however.
Thanks for the clarification!

The OP's fiction will come true, but in a different way. As we can convince ourselves, Roland pretty much nailed their latest SH-101 and SH-02 clones with their new ACB technology from the AIRA SYSTEM-1. Roland will release the follower of the SYSTEM-1, the SYSTEM-JUPITER, which will be offered as 49, 61 or 76 semi-weighted keys versions with velocity and aftertouch, offering the same tactile UI of the original JP-8 in a sturdy case. The new SYSTEM-JUPITER will be able to host different classic Roland analog poly synth clones (so-called PlugOuts), from Juno-6 to Jupiter-8 to JX-10, but with up to 12 voices of polyphony, based on their new ACB technology.
People will first cry heresy! The web and especially GS will be overflown by many 1:1 blind test comparisons. But most people will finally choose the wrong synth as the original JP-8, because the SYSTEM-JUPITER will offer a slightly optimized and slightly better sounding JP-8 version. Then people will claim: "but it can't reproduce the filter sweeps!", which will be refuted by a next series of online 1:1 filter sweep comparisons. Finally more and more people will begin to praise the new SYSTEM-JUPITER as the new revelation and it will become Rolands commercially most successful synth since the D-50... or perhaps not?

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➡️
If Roland did re-release the Jupiter 8...

it would be digital.
Prepare for "plug-out" Jupiter 8. Too bad the System 1 has that little keyboard, and who needs a four voice VA, honestly?
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves ➡️
Thanks for the clarification!

The OP's fiction will come true, but in a different way. As we can convince ourselves, Roland pretty much nailed their latest SH-101 and SH-02 clones with their new ACB technology from the AIRA SYSTEM-1. Roland will release the follower of the SYSTEM-1, the SYSTEM-JUPITER, which will be offered as 49, 61 or 76 semi-weighted keys versions with velocity and aftertouch, offering the same tactile UI of the original JP-8 in a sturdy case. The new SYSTEM-JUPITER will be able to host different classic Roland analog poly synth clones (so-called PlugOuts), from Juno-6 to Jupiter-8 to JX-10, but with up to 12 voices of polyphony, based on their new ACB technology.
People will first cry heresy! The web and especially GS will be overflown by many 1:1 blind test comparisons. But most people will finally choose the wrong synth as the original JP-8, because the SYSTEM-JUPITER will offer a slightly optimized and slightly better sounding JP-8 version. Then people will claim: "but it can't reproduce the filter sweeps!", which will be refuted by a next series of online 1:1 filter sweep comparisons. Finally more and more people will begin to praise the new SYSTEM-JUPITER as the new revelation and it will become Rolands commercially most successful synth since the D-50... or perhaps not?

Iam pretty sure 90% of that will happen in the next two years except the final part.

The most interesting aprt will be which polysynth will be the first one to get a plug out: Jupiter-8 or Juno 60? I bet the second.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok wait. Hold up.

Tell us more about the face tattoo thing.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Put velocity on a JP8 and it will sound like a VST.

Half the magic of these old synths is the fact that they are not velocity sensitive.
Old 2nd January 2015
I wish Roland would remake the jupiter-8 Analog or digital would not matter. I really doubt it would ever happen. I would take an ACB Jupiter-8 styled remake any day.
📝 Reply