What's wrong with M- Audio? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's wrong with M- Audio?
Old 29th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal ➡️
I think my hatred is based in I'll never see something like the alesis hd24 or m audio trigger finger again.

Instead ill get toys.
Mmm, What's wrong with the Trigger Finger Pro?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165099 ➡️
then in 2012, basically at the height of their existence, Avid sold and gutted them. M-Audio is now a part of the inMusic conglomerate which includes Alesis, Numark, Akai, Denon, Marantz, etc... and are effectively dead.

tldr: M-Audio (just like Alesis and much of Akai) is dead, buy their product at your own risk.
Yup. inMusic (Numark/Alesis/Akai/M-Audio...etc.)'s CEO is Jack O'Donnell who's got quite a reputation. Here's what Roger Linn thinks of him:

"Akai went out of business and the assets were purchase by Numark, headed up by a very unscrupulous fellow named Jack O’Donnell. Once he bought Akai, he immediately stopped my royalty payments, refused to take my calls and had his lawyer send me threatening letters. I checked around and learned that he has a reputation of being a real bastard, so given that challenging him would have been long and expensive, I let it go."
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
Mmm, What's wrong with the Trigger Finger Pro?
Too much going on for a drum pad controller. Id pay full hog to use 1/2 of what that does. I just want pads to beat on.

Though It actually does look good. Maybe the trigger finger was a bad example.

Hd24 man! Could you imagine a sata ssd hd24 with usb capabilities? !?! Or a masterlink the same!?!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coven ➡️
Yup. inMusic (Numark/Alesis/Akai/M-Audio...etc.)'s CEO is Jack O'Donnell who's got quite a reputation. Here's what Roger Linn thinks of him:

"Akai went out of business and the assets were purchase by Numark, headed up by a very unscrupulous fellow named Jack O’Donnell. Once he bought Akai, he immediately stopped my royalty payments, refused to take my calls and had his lawyer send me threatening letters. I checked around and learned that he has a reputation of being a real bastard, so given that challenging him would have been long and expensive, I let it go."
That's pretty funny. I can't imagine Roger Linn ever getting cross with anyone :-)
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Whoa! If he's saying it like that on cam, he means it.

And yeah, sad story about the company.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom ➡️
What's wrong with M- Audio?
Just a guess here but I don't think that there's supposed to be a space after the dash?

Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Might any of you have a recommendation for a cheap and cheerful midi controller to replace the useless piece of M-Audio plastic now taking up space in my home? I don't need a lot of controls, just something that works w/ PT 10 in a home studio setting, not for live work. Obviously, I'd like to avoid anything by M-Audio.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Might any of you have a recommendation for a cheap and cheerful midi controller to replace the useless piece of M-Audio plastic now taking up space in my home? I don't need a lot of controls, just something that works w/ PT 10 in a home studio setting, not for live work. Obviously, I'd like to avoid anything by M-Audio.
Want to avoid all of InMusic (Owns Akai, Alesis, M-Audio, and a bunch more) or just M-Audio?

How many keys? Full size, or minikeys? Need a MIDI pin, or will USB MIDI be enough? Need pads?

Brief, more details!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not enough info. Budget? Keys? Key size?

The cheapest non-INmusic cheery controller probably is the $70 Korg MicroKEY 25, and after that the $100 Novation Launchkey Mini 25 - both with mini keys (and after that the $150 Launchkey, which has full-size keys). Next step up would be around $200 for the Novation Impulse 25 or the Roland A-300 Pro.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, I'll be replacing the keystudio 49, which is not full size keys, not weighted or anything like that. That's a USB MIDI device which has been totally fine until it became obsolete because it required a driver and M- Audio stopped updating the drivers. I'd like to avoid running into that again.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, key word is USB Class-compliant: means needs no driver.
Most newer controllers are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi ➡️
Most of the ex M-Audio employees moved on to Native Instruments, Presonus and Line 6 (and a couple of them at Blue Microphones.) For example, the guy who came up with the concept and helped design the original M-Audio Trigger Finger and Torq software is now at NI and came up with the new Traktor Control S8.

And I saw earlier someone mentioning the M-Audio Venom on another thread, which is probably the last good product that M-Audio made, but in case you weren't aware, the Engineer who created the Venom for M-Audio previously worked at Alesis designing the Micron and Ion synths.
Huh... interesting. The Torq software was quite good, the controller was good if really plastic (the one without the platters) I really like NI. (Though M-Audio and NI had terrible tech support in my experience.)

The Venom seemed quite promising, I may buy one. I really like the Micron and Ion.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
Ok, key word is USB Class-compliant: means needs no driver.
Most newer controllers are.
That's something I didn't completely understand- it seems like the trouble with the M-Audio one was that it did require a driver and at some point, they just stopped updating the. So it's listed as class compliant on their website now, except that it doesn't work for most people who have updated their PT software.

Anyway, I'm just going to get one of the Novation ones. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
ive never looked at m audio as a very good product.........kind of like plastic crap....time for a new controller...or better yet....buy new roland gaia and use that as your controller.....
Old 6th November 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
Not enough info. Budget? Keys? Key size?

The cheapest non-INmusic cheery controller probably is the $70 Korg MicroKEY 25, and after that the $100 Novation Launchkey Mini 25 - both with mini keys (and after that the $150 Launchkey, which has full-size keys). Next step up would be around $200 for the Novation Impulse 25 or the Roland A-300 Pro.
Two weeks ago I bought a Korg Microkey 25 as my first ever keyboard. Last week I sent it back to Amazon & bought a Novation Impulse 49. I'm happy with the move.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

I hate minikeys.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That O'Donnel diss video by Linn is crazy!!! I love it! Have to quote a post of my own I did a couple of months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt ➡️
I kind of wonder what it must be like to work for Akai nowadays.

Tanned and white-suited O'Donel calling Akai headquarters from his Malibu residence:
"Ready to release the new MPC thingy?"

Programmer: "Well, we just started Bug-Fixing, and..."
O'Donel: "Better fix your mouth, son. If I say we release, we release."
Programmer: "But the machine might be nearly unusable in its current state. Customers will be unhappy, if ..."
O'Donel: "Guess who will be unhappy, if ... he loses his job?"
Programmer: "Excuse me?"
O'Donel: "Son, I have been to Harvard Business School. You are just a lousy programmer. I know my customers, they love any MPC. And you better put the new MPC in shelves by end of this month." (hangs up)

Disclaimer: All characters appearing in this dialogue are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd ➡️
I have two Midiman boxes - a 4x4 and a 2x2 - that I have been using for more than ten years. They have worked perfectly with a series of Mac computers, as they need no drivers or any kind of software to work.

Haha same here have my 2x2 since 1999...

Otherwise I hate M-Audio personally, wouldn't buy anything from them. I think the Avid buyout was the not good for them.

Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

clearly anyone who ****s over roger linn is just insidious and evil.

not only is he like a god damned legend, you can clearly see from his video their he's a really nice guy.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

I've owned tons of Midiman and M-Audio, and my experience pretty much echos everyone else's. My first real interface was their 2-in 2-out with the breakout box and PCI card (can't remember the name). I have some original BX-8 Audiophile monitors that I've owned for as long as they have existed, maybe 10 years now, no problems at all. I've owned 2 M-Auidio Delta 1010's, what a workhorse...owned both a long time, no problems ever. I toured with a USB Quattro that worked flawlessly every single time I used it for about 10 years. I bought it used. On the same tour, I had an M-Audio Midi controller as well. It broke twice in the 30 days I was on the road, had to find GC's in the next town and return it, both times it just crapped out and quit working, I don't abuse my gear. That was when I started noticing the rift in quality and swore off their products.

Thanks for the history lesson guys, and the information about the Clear-Channel-like consolidation of so many companies. I've already sworn off most Pro-sumer companies anyway but it's great to know what NOT to buy based on real information.

OP- I can wholeheartedly recommend picking up a used Novation X-Station 49 for a controller. Hands down the best controller I've ever owned short of my Analog Keys, just a great board. Awesome keybed, decent knobs and faders, easy to program. Oh, it's an audio interface too, and it has a synth engine too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Now I feel bad about buying an MPC500. Adding Numark to my boycott list.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth ➡️
Now I feel bad about buying an MPC500. Adding Numark to my boycott list.
If you are serious, here's a list of all the InMusic brands-

AIR Music Technology
Akai Professional
Alesis
Alto Professional
Denon Professional
Denon DJ
ION Audio
M-Audio
Marantz Professional
MixMeister
Numark
Sonivox

I don't think I was planning on buying anything from any of these companies anyway, so it won't be a difficult "boycott" on my end. Exception being older or used stuff, which doesn't support the parent company anyway...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a couple of M-Audio Axiom keyboard controllers that I've been pretty satisfied with. They're well made for what they cost, and they do the job. They seem to work fine without any specific drivers also.

Glad I saw this thread though. Good info for any future purchases.
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Denon DJ... that's sad
Old 7th November 2014
Deleted User
I was considering the M-Audio Venom until I found out you had to use a computer to edit it, and not the front panel. They lost a sale and respect at the same time.
Old 7th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➡️
I was considering the M-Audio Venom until I found out you had to use a computer to edit it, and not the front panel. They lost a sale and respect at the same time.
Was a serious turn down for me too. Don't want to stick a big chunk of hardware in front of me just to end up using the mouse.

Here's what they had to say on this:
Quote:
According to Taiho Yamada, the original designs [of the Venom] were knob laden but this changed primarily for two reasons. "It was half about controlling cost, and half about creating a compelling user interface. Having a manageable control set allows a beginner to get up and running right away, while pro sound design guys seem to gravitate to sound editor software anyway." And of course, the iPad and other hardware MIDI controllers are options as well. The idea behind the front panel is to give you quick access to controls you might need in performance mode while using the included Vyzex Venom software editor for access to the rest of the Venom's parameters. The target audience is someone looking for an affordable instrument to integrate with a computer-based workstation. When hooked up to the editor you can think of the editor as a virtual synth with the Venom as the hardware.
From an interview Matrixsynth made.

Sane but still unfortunate, bah.

I think Novation handles this better with their current Novas. Full onboard + software editor, best of both worlds.

Last edited by ToyBox; 7th November 2014 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: forgot an "s"
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Agreed, the itb editing for the venom is annoying but you'd be hard pressed to find more synth for the amount of money they're going for on eBay and craigslist.

Despite having to use the computer, the little bugger does have deep synthesis for a very low price point.

If you want the same level of synth editing but more knobs, pick up an Alesis Ion. But you'll pay more too.

There's always tradeoffs.
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a cheap controller from them once. It sucks. Yes, it's cheap. No, it shouldn't suck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Wow. Puts the Akai Rhythm Wolf fiasco in a different light.

Watch/listen to SonicTalk 351 from March and you'll see Nick Batt from the podcast say say, "Off camera, basically what they told me had happened was the engineers were working so hard to get it ready that they were up half the night and they just plugged it in wrong and it blew it up before the show. So it wouldn't make any noise. Whether that's the case or not, or whether they just hadn't voiced it and didn't want to present it when it hadn't been voiced properly was another matter...."

The fact is that they claimed to journalists that they had a working unit, they claimed a reason that was not true, a rep then claimed they were going to then imminently release audio (in writing, in the multi-page Gearslutz thread), and all the reporting reporting ended up being simply fact-challenged talking points fed to them.

During Musikmesse the main rep said on video, "The video probably next week. It'll be in stores probably July. June or July, around there."

Nope.

In a later Sonic Talk podcast Batt referred to "… that mysterious Rhythm Wolf, that doesn't seem to have got past its 'We just need to give it some voicing and then it will be out with some demos.' And I wonder what's going on with that."

Robbie Bronnimann (Howard Jones's music guy): August, isn't that when it's coming out?"

Nick, "I don't know, I don't believe anything they say, frankly. 'Cause they all just lied at Musikmesse…."
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus ➡️
If you are serious, here's a list of all the InMusic brands-

AIR Music Technology
Akai Professional
Alesis
Alto Professional
Denon Professional
Denon DJ
ION Audio
M-Audio
Marantz Professional
MixMeister
Numark
Sonivox

I don't think I was planning on buying anything from any of these companies anyway, so it won't be a difficult "boycott" on my end. Exception being older or used stuff, which doesn't support the parent company anyway...
Cool, I'm all set except for the MPC500. Yeah, I think it's OK to buy used.
📝 Reply