Gear list used on Aphex Twin's new album, Syro
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gear list used on Aphex Twin's new album, Syro

Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They've got a racked OB-X. Would like to see that...
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
no words on sequencers used, except Atari 1040ST and Sequentix Cirklon ...
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Am I supposed to believe that?
Old 5th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
Am I supposed to believe that?
ha, no idea! it was on reddit. apparently it is album art for Syro.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I believe that part .. seems all like pleasant embellishing..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa ➑️
They've got a racked OB-X. Would like to see that...
Who's they?

Using all the gear would be an achievement in itself, surely it would be a workflow nightmare?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risc_Terilia ➑️
Using all the gear would be an achievement in itself, surely it would be a workflow nightmare?
What's your home studio setup like?
"I've got one, two, three, four ... five and a half different studios. Different sounds, to get different results."
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Who's they?

he has 5 studios in his house with different gear. some rooms probably have duplicates of some ADAs Effects etc but 5 different workflows
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers1945 ➑️
he has 5 studios in his house with different gear. some rooms probably have duplicates of some ADAs Effects etc but 5 different workflows
yeah and he lives in scotland and use to be a miner working alongside others who wore nothing below the belt .Please stop believing the hype , he does not have 5 studios and he says this **** so you all think he has something you dont which makes you all think you will never achieve what he does.Its called ' Hype ' and he used it early on by making out he made his own gear ( which was also Hype or Bo-llocks as we say here )

its largely Boll-ocks this whole aphex hype thing.

The latest demo ? sounds like Plaid meets Daft punk to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Who's they?
Aphex Twin, of course. They're like a big ensemble band, right?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykhonaut ➑️

Aphex Twin is a millionaire. He could buy all the gear he wants. It's really not that hard to make your own synths either. As far as that new song goes..I thought it was better than anything that has come out since he's been gone. Just because it was released first doesn't mean it's the best song on the album either. Aphex Twin defines truly creative, original MUSIC. His melodies are amazing. His beats possess knowledge of rhythm far surpassing just about everyone else. He's one of the best musicians of our time. That's why there's "hype".
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Aphex Twin, of course. They're like a big ensemble band, right?
"The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh, by the way, which one's...Aphex? "
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
"The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh, by the way, which one's...Aphex? "
"Good question, son. But hard to answer, because there are two of them, and they look SO much alike."
Deleted User
Quote:
think he has something you dont which makes you all think you will never achieve what he does.Its called ' Hype ' and he used it early on by making out he made his own gear ( which was also Hype or Bo-llocks as we say here )

I'll agree that the first song wasn't great but it had its moments.

If anything with the release of his gear list and that thingy with all the advertising costs it kind of brings it down to earth a little. It actually makes him seem less mythical.

Anyone have an estimate for how much that gear list would run?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapazios43 ➑️
Aphex Twin is a millionaire. He could buy all the gear he wants. It's really not that hard to make your own synths either. As far as that new song goes..I thought it was better than anything that has come out since he's been gone. Just because it was released first doesn't mean it's the best song on the album either. Aphex Twin defines truly creative, original MUSIC. His melodies are amazing. His beats possess knowledge of rhythm far surpassing just about everyone else. He's one of the best musicians of our time. That's why there's "hype".
have you got any cocaine for sale ? my mum needs some for a barry manilow concert next week.

the hype ? its because he has a deal with warp who use a slick london agency that flood the web with idiots spouting this kind of ' aphex is royal ' kind of ideology.

they did it with enos album and every other ' legend ( that should read bell end ) they need to recoup advances on.

He is a good musician , he has money , big deal , the adoration and way the pr seems to have turned everyone into aphex twin wannabbees or ball lickers is stunning.

I love is work , the pr and bull**** people believe is kind of sad as it does not make his music sounds better but worse for me and actually that new track ?it does not stand up to the level of hype being rammed down peoples throats by his pr ' team '
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
um i have 2 set ups? whats so unbelievable? you dont need a $250k mixing desk in every room, or at all. have you seen legowelt on futuremusic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eigT6DvHJo hes got like 20+ synths as i recall in two rooms for recording different tracks. rdjames could easily have a room with a modualr rig and a couple other things, another with a 101 and 606 and sequencer, etc.

hes not a god but he sure has me reevaluating my methods when i hear some of the things he does tonally and rythmically.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Please stop believing the hype , he does not have 5 studios and he says this **** so you all think he has something you dont which makes you all think you will never achieve what he does.
I quite like AT but have no real desire to imitate, and don't feel invalidated by the lack of overlap with my gear. He's been very successful for the last 20 years or so, so I doubt he needs to sell gear for cost or space. And having 5 studios in his home doesn't seem that odd to me either; I read that as 5 rooms with different gear in, not 5 commercial-type studios with their own control rooms and sofas. I'd happily have 3 different setups if I had more space.

I used to live in rural Scotland, property is pretty cheap up there. My friend sold his little suburban house near London and bought a disused bed-and-breakfast with 13 rooms that was in the middle of nowhere, and I stayed there for about a year when I got my first job as a sound engineer in a nearby town. I don't think I'd fancy living in Scotland again (too far north for my taste - I was on the east coast of Scotland and there's constant chilly winds and very short days in winter) but I quite often think about moving out to the country in order to be able to afford a big place like that.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers1945 ➑️
um i have 2 set ups? whats so unbelievable? you dont need a $250k mixing desk in every room, or at all. have you seen legowelt on futuremusic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eigT6DvHJo hes got like 20+ synths as i recall in two rooms for recording different tracks. rdjames could easily have a room with a modualr rig and a couple other things, another with a 101 and 606 and sequencer, etc.

hes not a god but he sure has me reevaluating my methods when i hear some of the things he does tonally and rythmically.
yeah i have 7 setups ( in one large studio ) ! thats not my point , does it mean anything ? no .

I agree , he has me reevaluating always , i love his work but not this pr hype and the over focus on him having secret weapons and a technical edge which he does not.

The new track 15 years ago released without the hype would have blown many away , now ? it does not live up to the hype as we all heard this so much and the hype has lead i think most people to a point where all thats left is a Grand Anti climax .

The album no matter how good it is will not be for most people familiar with him a life changing experience ( which pr would have you believe almost )

he is human , he makes great music , i could name around 100 artists i think make music in and around this genre of equal validity / inspiration but they sadly do not have the hype / pr budget / money / blind adoration he does.

somehow i would rather give them my money now than some inflated record label like warp and its Pr associates
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
PR, hype, leaks, promos, art directors, shills, tweets, sound clouds, iTunes deals.

This is the music industry. It's an impossible dichotomy to both despise it and want to be successful within it. Either a jobbing musician has to deal with that or go home.
Old 5th September 2014
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You can put out a record with a $200 PC
You can also put out a record with a 2 million dollar studio

I have friends who have $100k studio's as a hobby, and have never put out a record in their life
Then I have friends who put out many records, run labels, tour, and only use a midi controller, laptop, and monitors

Point being, it should be of no surprise he has that gear. Does it really matter anyways?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
They've got a racked OB-X.
Funny how many people i talk to who think Aphex twin contains more than one person
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| ➑️
You can put out a record with a $200 PC

Point being, it should be of no surprise he has that gear. Does it really matter anyways?
no , it means Zero but does indicate either a massive ego or some need to impress or a need to mislead or a need to appear clever or a need to inform and end this endless ' what synth did aphex use on this track ' threads.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➑️
Funny how many people i talk to who think Aphex twin contains more than one person
they must have soo many drummers

Quote:
no , it means Zero but does indicate either a massive ego or some need to impress or a need to mislead or a need to appear clever.
Or hes got GAS.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It has to be all hype - I don't see any Elektron boxes on that list. Oh, and didn't Twinnie once say that he gets all his musical ideas while in a state of lucid dreaming?
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Er...yes he's human but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about it. There's a lot of nice gear in this list but it's not weird or exotic from a pro engineer perspective, so it doesn't strike me as a bunch of 'secret weapons', just a nice selection of for a successful professional in this field. If you look on YouTube there are interviews with Vince clark where he shows off a similarly large gear collection. I just noticed incidentally that the end of the list mentions the different 'studios' with names like 'basement...bedroom...big room.'

Of course it's some hype to promote his album but so what? I am sure the Edge talks a bit about his guitar collection when U2 puts out a new album because a lot of guitarists are interested in how he works even if they don't aspire to owning 50 guitars. Frankly, I think publishing a list like this DE-mystifies what he does, actually - otherwise people would be speculating on whether he had bought the Beatles' old mellotron and replaced the tapes or if he owned Boris Blank's old Fairlight. Of course nobody will be able to emulate 'Mum & Dad vocals' without kidnapping his parents from Cornwall, so I imagine his style will remain unique thanks to that special ingredient.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
have you got any cocaine for sale ? my mum needs some for a barry manilow concert next week.

the hype ? its because he has a deal with warp who use a slick london agency that flood the web with idiots spouting this kind of ' aphex is royal ' kind of ideology.

they did it with enos album and every other ' legend ( that should read bell end ) they need to recoup advances on.

He is a good musician , he has money , big deal , the adoration and way the pr seems to have turned everyone into aphex twin wannabbees or ball lickers is stunning.

I love is work , the pr and bull**** people believe is kind of sad as it does not make his music sounds better but worse for me and actually that new track ?it does not stand up to the level of hype being rammed down peoples throats by his pr ' team '

WOw man. Thats a pretty dark view you got there. Hes the trickster, the prankster. But at least there is a show to watch. Imagine if there where no Aphex Twins. NExt Bieber pleas3!
The list is probably right - the other list for the single release he said something about liking the banality and insignificance of it. The gear list is exactly the same. Could you imagine anyone else than those on this board reading that? BAnal and insignificant.
And i love this song. Aphex Twin disappeared up his own ass years ago so its nice to see him pull his head out of it and wave this new single at the world. Its damn fine.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Nice setup hope it sounds good.

It's sad about the pr. would have preferred if it got released with just that cover and not all this "hype" to try and make people buy it for the sake of it. However guess the label has to make money.

As long as he is happy with the finished product that's all that matters.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
looking at that list again I dont think its even excessive. THe guys been buying stuff for 20 years or more.
Some nice stuff on there. I see hes got the Make Noise DPO. Mines on its way - yeeha
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
didn't Aphex make most of his bundle right when eBay was shiny and new and the vintage synth market hadn't evolved into the overfed beast it is today? I think he and Vince Clarke and several others had the whole world of used gear as their candy store, and the means to enjoy it. Not surprising it would lead to a rather large kit list.
πŸ“ Reply