Quantcast
JUpiter 8 v Jupiter 80 test - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JUpiter 8 v Jupiter 80 test
Old 26th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There seems to be a lot of criticism of Roland these days for neglecting analogue, but I like wht they did with the V synth and I'm considering getting the Gaia just because of the front panel it's knobby well laid out and the package seems to come with a lot of stuff on synthesis.

One thing about Roland whatever your opinion of the sound, you have to admit they are visually well organized and intuitive it seems.
Old 27th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon ➡️
Obviously the JP80 is a more advanced machine, but Casio managed to 256 note polyphonic into the Privia px5s

it seems good for the price.
Ah yes, and there are probably other synths out there with high polyphony.

The thing about the JP 80 is that it's built in such a way that it excells in live performance. It's really kinda crazy..lol.

The basic building block is the tone, which consists of 3 oscillators. Each osc is like a synth all by itself, with independent envelopes, pitch, waveform etc.

Then you can build a live set consisting of 4 of these tones, and a registration consists of 4 livesets.

And then there's the extensive effects units, the different synth engines (various supernatural synth engines, supernatural synth including VA and PCM), 4 different filter types (based on Moog, Jp8 and P5).

So yes, it's a bit more advanced, and there's a bit more involved in creating the JP80's sound. Which doesn't mean the Casio isn't a good stage piano, of course.
Old 27th August 2014
I've been avoiding this thread but I will drop my two cents then I'm out for good on this thread. 1 post only. So........

My response to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon ➡️
Interesting, you can really hear more character and more depth to the sound of the 1981 machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwIsbmL_tg

This thread makes me wish gearslutz brought this back so.

Response #2

People who usually start these threads are usually people that favor digital synths anyway like a Jupiter 80 so what's the point? Not sure by the way you worded though if it's really in or against but the responses will usually be Jupiter 80 / Integra owner / lovers.

So why the thread?

To justify their purchases?
To put down the original Jupiter 8?

Also the DIVA thread did the same thing where they had a simple patch but once you add in filter sweeps and more complicated movement the argument falls flat.

Also the time it takes to make that patch and then change the qualities of it compared to a Jupiter 8, it would take much longer to do this on the Jupiter 80. Take two guys side by side and have them make 30 Jupiter patches between the 8 and 80 and see who gets done first with better sounding results.

Response #3

These responses from another thread.

These guys can say it better than me so I'll just quote them. I hope they don't mind me shoehorning this into this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Yes, it can be difficult. The most important thing is to evaluate them through your own ears based on your own aesthetic. Only then can you determine their true value. You'll find that because of unique qualities in your own style and interests that certain instruments will have more value in your eyes than in the eyes of others. It's inevitable.

One of the more "controversial" instruments I own is a Moog Voyager XL. If I had a dollar for every time I've read on Gearslutz how overrated the Voyager is, or how over-priced the XL is, etc I could easily buy a second one. Does it bother me when others don't appreciate the Voyager? A little, yes -- not simply because of ego but rather because it makes me feel even more isolated than I already feel -- like a "strange duck" -- like the one who sees blue where others see red.

Just being an artist is already isolating enough. To then enter a community of electronic musicians and discover that even electronic instruments you love are hated or considered "overrated" by other electronic musicians... well, you get the picture. It's a pretty sad one... if you take it to heart. So I try not to.

For me, the only value in this thread is perhaps in seeing where ones aesthetic may (or may not) align with others allowing the formation of bonds of understanding. It's like when golden beers writes that for him, the JP-8 is "priceless" I can totally relate despite not owning a JP-8 because I feel similarly about other synths. It's the same with Rufuss saying the Jupiter is worth $10,000 to him despite his taking a stab at my own CEM synths. It's his passion I can relate to, not necessarily the object of that passion. The object itself is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell ➡️
I think it's funny that some people here are debating about the monetary value of synths.

You can have your opinion that a synth is overrated, overhyped etc. But the value is set by real people buying them.

I figured coming into this that it would be a Jupiter 8 hate fest. Jupiter 8 being my absolute favorite instrument of all time I can't relate. But I certainly respect others who would rather have a P5 or OB.

But is it worth $7-$10k? Well, that's what they sell for so there's really no debating it is there?

And for the record I really don't gel with the CEM sound. So for me all the big CEM synths are the overrated ones.

The JP8 though... ahhh it's the sound of all my favorite songs at my finger tips. It's glowing and magical... yet still elegant, rifined and chimey. While most other vintage synths sound kind of fuzzy or cloudy, the JP8 sounds like pure electricity. The envelopes are so organic it almost sounds like an acoustic instrument.

I wish it had dynamics, aftertouch, a mod wheel, self osc etc. But the pure tone is as good as it gets for me. And absolutely worth $10,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell ➡️
1. It's the tone stupid. Nothing else sounds like a Jupiter 8. And it is the sound of the golden era of synth pop. You can have 50 other polys and it will never sound right if you want THAT sound.

2. My studio is on a tour bus so I only have room for a small collection of the best gear available. Jupiter 8, Arp Odyssey, A6 for synths. Fender Jazz bass, Martin acoustic, Mesa Mark V amp etc. It's the opposite of having a museum. I only have time and space for absolute necessities.

I'm a full time professional musician. $10,000 is a modest business expense for a tool that does what I need it to do fast with gloriously beautiful results.

In my opinion, the Jupiter 8 with Encore Midi is the absolute top of the heap for perfect tone, easy UI and syncing with a modern studio.

Response #4

People who start these threads, just don't get it. (about owning something like a Jupiter 8) Not saying for sure the thread starter is like this just saying there have been other threads, mainly the DIVA thread of recent.

Response #5 - on the flipside there has to be respect for all instruments including both digital and analog. So I'm not saying the Jupiter 80 sucks...just saying threads like these do.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
just for the record, the Jupiter 8 is one of my 3 favourite polysynths
Old 27th August 2014
Ok wasn't sure since you made the thread. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah damn that's 2 responses!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
These guys can say it better than me so I'll just quote them. I hope they don't mind me shoehorning this into this thread.
Now I miss maisonvague
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro ➡️
Without having played a Jupiter-80, I would hazard a guess saying the biggest difference would be the sound when adjusting parameters ...

When I had my JP8, I NEVER used the "classic sounds" in my tracks ... (especially, the annoying synth brass sounds ... )

I would record the JP8 with MIDI then record the audio of the track while manipulating the various parameters ... Always sounded great and almost always "musical."

I would really like know how JP-80 stacks up in that department ... (Especially since it doesn't have many real-time controls ... Biggest reason why I wouldn't want Jupiter-80) ...

For instance, when I had JP8 and demoed Arturia JP8V by far that programs biggest letdown was when playing the sounds "in transition" (i.e. playing notes when manipulating controls) ... It wasn't even close, really ...

To me, THAT's where the JP8 gets interesting ... Otherwise, it just sounds like a great analog polysynth ...
Exactly, I think the point of analog synthesizer is not just about the sound character but also the live tweaking fun. Unlike digital synth, the analog synth sometimes (or most of the time) detuned in a very unpredictable way while still sounding musical. IMHO, the "Never be the same" transition of sound is actually what makes analog synth most appealing.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A little off topic,,,but,,, I would be interested in hearing what people thought about the difference between the Jupiter 80 and the JD800. Gary Neuman once commented that they didn't need the JP8 anymore since they now had the JD800 which could do it all (I might be editorializing a bit on the exact comment)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➡️
A little off topic,,,but,,, I would be interested in hearing what people thought about the difference between the Jupiter 80 and the JD800. Gary Neuman once commented that they didn't need the JP8 anymore since they now had the JD800 which could do it all (I might be editorializing a bit on the exact comment)
Well for me the JP80 sortof replaced the JD 800. That is to say: I sold the JD and the XV 5080 when I got my JP80. That doesn't mean the JP80 is an exact replacement for them, but I look at it in terms of sound character. The overlap would be a little too much to warrant keeping all those synths.

The things I used the JD for I can do with the JP80 equally well, if not better (better FX, more poly). In fact I reproduced my selfmade favorite JD pad sound on the JP80, and it pulls it off really well. I do kinda miss all the sliders a bit though, but the touch screen is a good alternative and lets you program sounds quickly and intuitively.

It's also a little bit of a trade-off. The JD800 for instance has more complex envelopes, whereas the JP80 has a more flexible synth engine (PWM, Ringmod, VA, more pcm waves, several filter types).

So for me the JP80 provides the right synth engine with the flexibility I always wished the JD had, and for me it delivers in spades.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
I can hear very very subtle differences but nothing to warrant which one is better than the other.
Some were subtle, some sounded like completely different patches (example @1:54)

The Jupiter 8 sounds like it's high on weed, and the Jupiter 80 sounds like it's off its face on crack. I'm more of a weed than a crack guy myself...
Old 5th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Crazy how much the zeitgeist can change in 7 years
📝 Reply