Quantcast
How to 'make it' with electronic music in 2014? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to 'make it' with electronic music in 2014?
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you never experienced how it feels to live off your own, hard earned money, trying that possibly has the biggest potential to enhance your life. Your music is influenced by your whole life, not only by your efforts to "make it with music". Most of the time those things one blocks off the hardest are exactly those things which offer the biggest potential for enhancement.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There is no success without an equal amount of sacrifice and suffering
Old 30th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➑️
If you never experienced how it feels to live off your own, hard earned money, trying that possibly has the biggest potential to enhance your life. Your music is influenced by your whole life, not only by your efforts to "make it with music". Most of the time those things one blocks off the hardest are exactly those things which offer the biggest potential for enhancement.
yes

roll the dice
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ummm,

Stating the obvious here but,
if you can afford to not work and instead make music with synths, then you have already made it.

What do you think moby does after breakfast? mows lawns?

And the best part is, you have bypassed the bit which is all about money and other people.

Peace.

GL.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Extreme effort, extreme talent, extreme luck. The more of these you have the easier it will be although you will likely still fail but at least you can say you tried.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sounds like you have money now ... But you're looking at music as an investment.

<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Old 31st July 2014
Deleted d14cc4f

Some great music has come out of people who were born into money.

But, only if you're doing it for the art. If you're doing it for fame or big ups or even just wanting to be liked/loved or have approval of others, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Period.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by glotus ➑️
Ummm,

Stating the obvious here but,
if you can afford to not work and instead make music with synths, then you have already made it.

What do you think moby does after breakfast? mows lawns?

And the best part is, you have bypassed the bit which is all about money and other people.

Peace.

GL.
Amen. Just make music and enjoy your life to the fullest, you already won the lottery and are doing the thing that everyone who is trying to "make it" wants to do. Wake up, make music. Make great music. Be grateful. Don't be a snobby punk, develop your craft. Aspire for ultra greatness. The arts used to have benefactors, you don't need one. Spend the next 10 years becoming incredible at what you do, since you have nothing else to worry about. That's what I would do. Shun all formulas to success, define yourself and your path by great music and great music only. Since you don't need the money you aren't beholden to it. Be something so great people will promote you on their own. All you have to do is make great music, and maybe have a drink/socialize with some people sometimes, helps break up the "in the cave" rut of being in the studio creating all the time. Travel with the sole intention of experiencing things on this planet most people can't and write about it. Expand your perspective. The music business is a scary snake pit where people who have nothing in their lives or hearts but the NEED (not want, it's different) to make music get eaten alive, taken advantage of, and broken down. Sometimes you win, but if you don't need them to survive (read: eat, pay rent, etc) then why would you bother even interfacing with the music industry? Build it on your own, with great music and the madness that is the Internet. Make great videos, make great content. Have a vision. If you did all that right, you'll have yourself a career and do whatever you want on top of that. You don't need the snakes of industry telling you anything. They know less than you most of the time.

If I didn't need to make a living, I would make so much art of all kinds. Explore all avenues. I'd practice all the instruments I play a lot. I'd take voice lessons again (I miss that). I'd write 4 albums in 4 different genres. I'd be in a few bands. I'm doing pretty much all the stuff I just described except I freelance in a few industries (including music) and the time I get to do my thing is never even close to enough. That's the only thing I would consider success, doing my own thing full time.

You already won. Just make something great and forget this music industry crap. And don't ever forget you're a lucky son of a bitch. EVER.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️

But, only if you're doing it for the art. If you're doing it for fame or big ups or even just wanting to be liked/loved or have approval of others, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Period.
Well said ... Nicer version of what I said.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️

+1

money/fame + adult teenagerism are reasons why we have such a sad situation in all forms of art today
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
FWIW I've always told myself if someone walked up to me and offered to pay me whatever my last year's tax return listed as my gross income for the rest of my life just to make art, I would say yes. I'm an adjunct English professor, so take a wild guess at how much I make :p (hint: it's just enough more than minimum wage that it's worth putting up with academia)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paega ➑️
FWIW I've always told myself if someone walked up to me and offered to pay me whatever my last year's tax return listed as my gross income for the rest of my life just to make art, I would say yes. I'm an adjunct English professor, so take a wild guess at how much I make :p (hint: it's just enough more than minimum wage that it's worth putting up with academia)
Old 4th August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Doz ➑️
Amen. Just make music and enjoy your life to the fullest, you already won the lottery and are doing the thing that everyone who is trying to "make it" wants to do. Wake up, make music. Make great music. Be grateful. Don't be a snobby punk, develop your craft. Aspire for ultra greatness. The arts used to have benefactors, you don't need one. Spend the next 10 years becoming incredible at what you do, since you have nothing else to worry about. That's what I would do. Shun all formulas to success, define yourself and your path by great music and great music only. Since you don't need the money you aren't beholden to it. Be something so great people will promote you on their own. All you have to do is make great music, and maybe have a drink/socialize with some people sometimes, helps break up the "in the cave" rut of being in the studio creating all the time. Travel with the sole intention of experiencing things on this planet most people can't and write about it. Expand your perspective. The music business is a scary snake pit where people who have nothing in their lives or hearts but the NEED (not want, it's different) to make music get eaten alive, taken advantage of, and broken down. Sometimes you win, but if you don't need them to survive (read: eat, pay rent, etc) then why would you bother even interfacing with the music industry? Build it on your own, with great music and the madness that is the Internet. Make great videos, make great content. Have a vision. If you did all that right, you'll have yourself a career and do whatever you want on top of that. You don't need the snakes of industry telling you anything. They know less than you most of the time.

If I didn't need to make a living, I would make so much art of all kinds. Explore all avenues. I'd practice all the instruments I play a lot. I'd take voice lessons again (I miss that). I'd write 4 albums in 4 different genres. I'd be in a few bands. I'm doing pretty much all the stuff I just described except I freelance in a few industries (including music) and the time I get to do my thing is never even close to enough. That's the only thing I would consider success, doing my own thing full time.

You already won. Just make something great and forget this music industry crap. And don't ever forget you're a lucky son of a bitch. EVER.
This is very inspiring, thanks.
Old 7th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Will,

Thank you for not being offended or angered by what I said. I meant only inspiration by it. The fact that you are even asking an open forum such a question lends me to believe that you are genuinely interested in being good...however, I must again drive home the point that being good at what you do and success are mutually exclusive. Concern yourself with greatness only, and make it your only goal. Success is fickle and meaningless in many ways. Greatness inspires. I hope you understand what I mean and seek it out instead of success. They often times intersect. Godspeed, and remember to count your blessings. Being humble is a key to being truly great.
Old 25th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➑️
Like this?

That's the funniest thing I have seen for ages! Thanks!
His nose is actually a dildo. Gosh. What brainstorming session lead him to this?
Perhaps I'm old and it's lifechanging stuff if you do enough ketamine?
Old 25th August 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ahhhh man.. If you don't have to work for a living why not just pay Maarten Vorwerk to make your tracks (like eveybody else) then use ableton to Dj your pre-recorded sets (like eveybody else) And then you'll get the chicks and the bottles..your already 20 steps ahead of the rest of us, why waste your time with soundcloud when you could buy your way to the Beatport top 100!
Old 2nd September 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
If any of you are interested, I just finished up my first batch of demos:

http://www.soundcloud.com/itsgrynn

Excited to hear any feedback people have!
πŸ“ Reply