Quantcast
Modal 002 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modal 002
Old 26th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Modal 002

Exclusive: New British Polysynth On The Way, modulus .002 teaser site appeared - ooh.. -Sonicstate.com

New synth company Modulus Music have launched a teaser site for an upcoming new digital/analogue hybrid hardware polysynth called modulus .002. As is customary, there's a blurred image to accompany the initial news, which appears to show a synth of significant proportions and controls. Looks like there may be a row of sequence or extra assignable control knobs there.

Couldn't see a thread sorry if there is already one
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, it has my attention
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A 20 second clip of a pad sound and I'm already thinking how to finance it? WHY GAS? WHY?
Old 26th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
back in March, Paul/Vaco Loco posted on facebook about working on something for Modulus Music and when they get to 500 likes they would post a sound demo. looks like they finally got to 500.
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This is really exciting. People have wanted a good sounding new poly for a while, and it's British to boot The two audio demos, though short, sound very good to me, very raw type of analog sound.

Some info on their previous synth

http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/monowave/
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hope they release a rack version that doesn't really fit in a rack with just 4 buttons on it for nearly as much as the keyboard version.
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Put a like here:

https://www.facebook.com/ModulusMusic

They say they'll give more info about it when they get to 1000 likes

The design seems nice, and the sound too.

There is another demo here:

Modulus Music
Old 26th June 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Damn, stepping on that cutoff knob :(
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nice... the PWM demo sounds like a cross between a Yamaha CS-80 and an Oberheim. Yummy.
Old 28th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This looks very promising. I like
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Digital?
Old 28th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Really? Where?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet ➑️
Digital?
Supposed to be a digital analog hybrid.
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i love that's it's already blurry! ...won't need to wear my glasses when playing; it'll match everything else right out of the box.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➑️
Supposed to be a digital analog hybrid.
The demo's have that digital quality to it. Thanks for the info. Interesting, I hope its not too long before they release more information.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't hear anything like that.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer ➑️
I don't hear anything like that.
Listen to the bass sound example on their site. Stepping is there alright, in a couple of places.
Old 29th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Listen to the bass sound example on their site. Stepping is there alright, in a couple of places.
I don't hear anything either. Sounds pretty smooth to my ears.
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Listen at 5-6 seconds in. It's very obvious.
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I fear it's going to be mighty expensive..
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
if the stepping is fat enough (so to speak) i could live with it.
but my $ is not as flexible atm:(

...cool so many variations on the polysynth coming out the last while.
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If its going to be a VCO or DCO (which I doubt), there will be P12 vs Modulas wars on GS. Lets hope so!
Old 29th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Currently active users: 931
Likes in Modulus's FB page: 913

Now, hands up who hasn't liked Modulus's FB page yet?

I want to see 1000 likes in there tonight. Get your spouses to like it if necessary.
Old 30th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I just thought of sharing this, i am sure some of you is going to find this interesting, Mr Maddox talking about his passion for music electronics, and hinting at the new design, looks like a really nice guy, I think that only a truly passionate and insightful individual(s) can make a truly great characteristic electronic instrument, and this Gentleman strikes me of being just that!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is what i think it is lets just hope it is not too expansive.

SynthGeekNight - YouTube
Old 30th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODEC ➑️
I just thought of sharing this, i am sure some of you is going to find this interesting, Mr Maddox talking about his passion for music electronics, and hinting at the new design, looks like a really nice guy, I think that only a truly passionate and insightful individual(s) can make a truly great characteristic electronic instrument, and this Gentleman strikes me of being just that!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is what i think it is lets just hope it is not too expansive.

SynthGeekNight - YouTube
Great! So what do you think it is?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODEC ➑️

SynthGeekNight - YouTube
I've watched the video. Very interesting. That guy is a genious. Now I am even more curious to know what the new Poly will be. I hope at least a 6 voice. He demonstrated alot with different wave forms. Reminded me of the Prophet VS. I loved his opinion about todays synthesizers feeling toy like and plastic. And that he wants to create real expressive synthesizers like in the 80's. Man, this guy even named all his Synthesizers by 80's arcade games. How cool is that!!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 ➑️
Great! So what do you think it is?
Well, I hope it is a polyphonic monowave with extended possibilities and with an extensive mod matrix, and that it has at least 8 or more voices, hopefully more and that it has an multi timbral mode.

And also hopefully variable overdrive charisteristics on the VCA back end, for added colour, and that it has both logarithmic and exponential envelopes
for the sound shaping bit, that would be fantastic, maybe variable bit depth on the wavetable osc? for added grit well we will have to see what it is, either way it looks very promising whatever it is, judging from that video.

Yeah, I also enjoyed that arcade retro bit and yes to much me to stuff around, a bit plasticky similar sounding for sure (thats great too and fills its purpose) maybe its that time in this decade that someone takes a long think and does something wonderful....last time it was the andromeda we all know how that went, a great engine crippled by a buggy software and an horrible interface.. so lets see what happens!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am very intrigued by this guy's speech. At the end he says:

"It's not going to be a cheap synthesizer, to be honest with you... It can't be because, it's an analog / digital hybrid, it's costing us... I can't say how much money, considering all the materials, but it's a lot more than I would have expected. But everything is TOP quality. "

Next, he talks about which market they are aiming for:

"The market we are aiming for is: The People who make money of music.

"There are 85% of people who owns synthesizers who want to make money from it, and who love playing with them. Which is great!

There are 14% who make a portion of their income from music.

There is 1 % that is the profession music. These are the Hans Zimmer's
of the world. the Jean Michael Jarre's ... People from the big pop bands.

We are aiming at that top 15% ... I'm not going to stop anyone from buying my Synthesizers, great! Give me your money and you can have one! (giggles audience laughing) .. But it's going to be a considered purchase."

I love it that he isn't cutting any corners with this new instrument, and that he is specifically aiming at musicians wanting a professional quality instrument that they can really connect with.
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
He's hyping it up to make it seem like this tool is above the rest. By saying that this tool is for the top 15% of musicians, he is saying that the tool is at the top 15% of synthesizers.

I highly doubt his intention is to sell to only the top 15% of musicians. OF COURSE
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
He's hyping it up to make it seem like this tool is above the rest. By saying that this tool is for the top 15% of musicians, he is saying that the tool is at the top 15% of synthesizers.

I highly doubt his intention is to sell to only the top 15% of musicians. OF COURSE everyone on here is going to want it now. "oooh it's for the top 15%, I'm gonna grab it so I can feel special!"

Meh it's a synth, it makes sounds, probably nothing better than any VST, at least not by a wide margin.
πŸ“ Reply