The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Pro 2
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Well it depends on what's coming, sequencer wise, but you might be right.

Regarding the point of para mode, there'd be two possible ways I guess to trigger this from the sequencer:

1. Simply sequence more than one simultaneous note using one or more tracks and have the synth engine implicitly do the work and spread the notes over the available OSCs.

2. Explicitly address the individual OSCs from within each sequencer track, e.g. one track driving a super saw sound, and another track driving a sine sound.

While I'd like to have option 1, here's hopes for option 2. And that's what I was hinting at in my previous post.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ it'll be number 2.. the drum patterns in some of the demos clearly point to it
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So that's good.
Old 27th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
as cool as the Pro-2 sequencer sounds.. i highly doubt it beats A4/AKs.. for starters you only get one sequence per patch with no way to switch/chain patterns.. i doubt it'll allow polyphonic recording.. no word on swing.. transposing.. shifting/micro-editing.. accenting etc
the pro12 has a "playlist" mode where you can order patches however you want and step between them. hopefully in pro2. we should definitely give dsi crap if the sequencer stops when switching patches.

it'd be cool if in playlist mode there was a global tempo override or something and you could set quantization of switching, but oth it's great not to be locked into those features too as you are with elektron boxes.

they are selling the pro2 as a studio center piece so imo, if there is a playlist and there should be they should add features like a pausable auto advancing presets at the end of pattern at some point. like maybe if you edited any parameters in the patch you'd have to turn auto advance back on. maybe the ability to set total step length or loops. imo that would be better than song mode on the elektron's which i find to be pretty crap - love them for live/non-linear switching tho.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
From DSI's Facebook feed https://soundcloud.com/peterkeys88/s...ro2-sound-demo

Some nice sounds here!
Old 28th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch101 ➑️
From DSI's Facebook feed https://soundcloud.com/peterkeys88/s...ro2-sound-demo

Some nice sounds here!
Ugh pardon my negativity but that just sounds like a crappy version of Sylenth
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry for my negativity but I think Sylenth sounds like a crappy version of the pro-2.
Old 29th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➑️
Sorry for my negativity but I think Sylenth sounds like a crappy version of the pro-2.
Fair enough - to each, his own. Just seems to me very sylenth-esque with the dominator HOV patches and deadmau5-ish chords going on, I couldn't help but notice I prefer the sound of sylenth over what I heard there especially for those kind of sounds.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To be fair I think that demo was constructed for a contest of who could make the cheesiest dance patches/demo possible.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
To be fair I think that demo was constructed for a contest of who could make the cheesiest dance patches/demo possible.
Yeah that didn't help...

The other thing that bothered me was all the clicking and pops... not a good sign. Admittedly I didn't listen to all of it so I could have just got unlucky with my skips
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
It's only the first part which is called "modern sequences" for a reason i guess...
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
is this still on track to be released this month? i was going to wait 6 months, but i haven't been able to find a nord modular g2 and the money is burning a hole in my pocket, if i don't spend it i'll waste it on stuff like going out to eat lol so **** it.
Old 30th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➑️
is this still on track to be released this month?
DSI announced on Twitter that the Pro 2 is shipping this week. So, yes!
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'd like to see the owner's manual.
Old 30th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
this synth looks and sounds great (from the demo's i've seen). But I can't help but think the price is too steep as it's the same $ as a Tempest or P08.
Regardless I can't wait to try this out.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The paraphonic pad at 4:28 reminded me very much of Giorgio Moroder's "Scarface" soundtrack. Can't wait for this thing to ship.

Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
The paraphonic pad at 4:28 reminded me very much of Giorgio Moroder's "Scarface" soundtrack. Can't wait for this thing to ship.

I haven't bought a synth in a long time I'm a very excited about this one too!
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsantana ➑️
I haven't bought a synth in a long time I'm a very excited about this one too!
Richie? It's Scott Wozniak. I played keys for you a *long* time ago. (Maybe around 1999 - 2000.) Can't remember what though. I think it was through Eddie Baez? Just wanted to say what's up
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am getting this DSI Pro 2 but if there are knob/problems/encoder or whatever.. I'm sorry.. I love DSI and it's people but I had bad experience with my Mono Evolver Key. I still feel a little resentful on that one.

But DSI Pro 2, after watching the demos yesterday, it's for me.. I love the Step Sequencer, I like the sound, I like the way it looks.
Old 2nd August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessboy ➑️
What about slide between notes and different pulse counts or play modes (e.g. forward/backward/random/ping pong/brownian types), anything like that or is it just a straight step seq?

I'm basically interested in whether it could potentially replace an Intellijel Metropolis.
Metropolis | intellijel
I'm interested in the same thing too: anyone heard any demos where the P2 does more acid-y sequences with slides between notes?
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I already have the P12, but I decided against the Sub 37 in favor of the P2. Just too many features to ignore. The new filters have sealed the deal. Maybe I'll compliment it with a Voyager RME.
Old 2nd August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
Richie? It's Scott Wozniak. I played keys for you a *long* time ago. (Maybe around 1999 - 2000.) Can't remember what though. I think it was through Eddie Baez? Just wanted to say what's up
Hey buddy jeez it's been a long time.....hope all is well.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is a hell of a synth. If i didn't already have a p12, cirklon, and a modular i'd ve all over it.
Old 3rd August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➑️
the pro12 has a "playlist" mode where you can order patches however you want and step between them. hopefully in pro2. we should definitely give dsi crap if the sequencer stops when switching patches.
Reading through the manual this weekend and it says that there's a "cue" option to keep the sequences playing between patch changes. Lots of possibilities with this, either with subtle sequence or timbre changes between patches.

As soon as one shows up somewhere locally, it looks like I'll be forced to part with some green.
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
There is a manual available?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, can we get a link to that manual?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The kind folks at DSI quickly replied to my request for a copy of the manual. Looks like they still haven't posted the PDF on their site, so here ya go:

Pro 2 Operation Manual
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks!
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thank you!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️

speaking of which, does the arp transmit to midi/cv out?
Would really like to know this as well. Crucial function IMO.
πŸ“ Reply