Quantcast
Roland System 1 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 1
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland System 1

Hi guys, is it me or is there a severe lack of info on this synth. I know there are demos but still not much on the plug out stuff.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
shouldn't be long; it's been announced as a June release, so info from Roland should start appearing within the next couple weeks.
Old 13th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood ➑️
shouldn't be long; it's been announced as a June release, so info from Roland should start appearing within the next couple weeks.
Just had an email from the uk shop i have it pre-ordered from, delayed till the 30th June now, was meant to be the 20th...

@OP - yes, I know what you mean - I've just taken a punt on it being good, lets hope it is. Certain a cloud of mystery surrounding it.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought all the recent Aira line and although happy with it I am not buying into the System 1
unless I see something seriously good that my Jupiter and others can't do.

Also I want to see if roland live up to the promise of updates, support, sound banks.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Knob per function and layout looks good, but the reviews so far that i've read while relatively positive in how it sounds don't make it sound all that interesting to me, especially without knowing how good the future plug-out synths will be.

Plus, 4 voice polyphony really puts me off. Why so low on a VA?

I'm sure some people will really like it, but I don't think it's for me.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty ➑️
Hi guys, is it me or is there a severe lack of info on this synth. I know there are demos but still not much on the plug out stuff.
The demos I have found on YouTube so far seem to consist of...well, not very much other than the roland reps doing that rather awkward middle aged techno thing and a Polish guy who is so clueless he doesn't turn down the noise generator until the last three minutes of his video-by which time he's fiddling with the scatter settings, making it impossible to get a decent impression of the sound timbre and filters.

Surely there are other demos of the synth out there somewhere? Any suggestions?
Old 14th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➑️

Plus, 4 voice polyphony really puts me off. Why so low on a VA?
That's retro dawg

I have been monumentally underwhelmed by the way this thing sounds so far. And if it carries on with the AIRA tradition of 'you must select it as your audio card to do multi track audio over USB' then

Actually, is it even multi-timbral?

This demo went up yesterday, but again I remain 'meh' about the thing

Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it looks pretty awesome, apart from the 4 voice polyphony and the maximum of 8 (wtf?!?) stored patches. This last point MUST be dealt with.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➑️
That's retro dawg
That's the unwanted side of retro IMO.

Quote:
I have been monumentally underwhelmed by the way this thing sounds so far. And if it carries on with the AIRA tradition of 'you must select it as your audio card to do multi track audio over USB' then
Yeah that would make it pretty useless for my workflow if I wanted to use audio over USB, which I would since I have no input channels left. Surely it must come with a Virus like VST though? No news yet I know, but surely?
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not too impressed with the sound so far
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Actually, is it even multi-timbral?
multi-timbral on the System 1? never heard that... perhaps you're thinking of the Blofeld?
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
That demo was quite impressive! I am tempted to pre-order, but I will wait. The plug out functionality is going to be terrific. It is no wonder this synth release is behind schedule.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood ➑️
multi-timbral on the System 1? never heard that... perhaps you're thinking of the Blofeld?
No I was asking a question, I wasn't thinking of anything else.

I have no interest in the AIRA stuff so I've never looked at the specs. It all just sounds a bit crap.
Quote:
I have no interest in the AIRA stuff so I've never looked at the specs. It all just sounds a bit crap.
the System-1 is definitely not multitimbral.

and to be fair, via youtube most things sounds a bit crap. I've picked up both the TR-8 and TB-3 and I assure you that they do not, subjectivity aside. the TR-8 has been an incredibly satisfying purchase as its sound and interface are excellent and any sequencer-based shortcomings are a nonissue for me as it integrates seamlessly with Live+Push while its simplicity makes it a blast to sit and jam with. the TB-3 isn't as impressive but it is IMO a great modernization of the TB-303. like its inspiration it's still essentially a preset box but I've found it useful (especially for non-303 uses) and the sequencer interface is excellent. just my $0.02

anyway, I've been impressed enough with these that I have a System-1 on preorder with NovaMusik and as of now they're still saying that it is expected to ship on June 17th, but a delay wouldn't surprise or upset me. I'm surprisingly excited about this synth and I agree, it is a little odd that more info/demos haven't been made available. all in all it should be a good fit for my intended use and as an original JP-8000 owner I'm glad to see them apply the super-saw idea to other waveforms, plus the plug-out concept is just a cool idea. this synth will be great for those wanting to minimize gear space and have a cool little portable synth.

my one concern though is the 4-voice limitation on its internal synth engine along with the plug-out synths that they've announced all being monosynths... it only makes sense that they eventually do ACB plug-outs of their classic polysynths and it will be very annoying if Roland debuts a larger version next year and have intentionally limited the DSP power on the compact System-1 so that one needs it to run the poly emulations. granted, playing a big poly on a little keyboard is somewhat pointless but that's what we have MIDI for.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165099 ➑️

and to be fair, via youtube most things sounds a bit crap.

I can't say I agree with that tbh. I watch dozens of synth demos every week on Youtube and loads of them impress me. The AIRA stuff just doesn't do it for me

The whole range seems SO lacklustre. The way you have to select the TR8 as an audio interface to do multi track over USB is just completely ham fisted. I like the idea of them all, but there's too much compromise to actually make me want to pay for them.

Apart from the VT-3. That's cool
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
if the TB-3 was 200euro Id buy it for the sequencer part alone, pity they dont make a full featured sequencer module for the series, suppose they expect everyone to use DAW's, TR-8 becomes a giant dongle for the multi audio output feature
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just sold my only mobile traveling midi keys, was gonna buy a qunexus for those times on the plane/holiday, but was thinking of getting a system 1 as sort of mobile rig, is it too big and heavy to throw in a rucksack?
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glad to see I'm not the only one confused. I was gonna pre-order but as it stands I want to hear it first. What does get me is Roland's decision to limit patch storage etc, rather like the TR8 and the limited pattern/kit architecture. I'm positive the hardware can support more. What their Aira range is crying out for is a VST/AU plugin which can be used for programming and archiving kits/patterns and patches. Also as has been mentioned, the Airas need to be useable in a similar style as the Virus TI so that people with audio interfaces don't have to juggle I/O just to get everything running - surely they can do this!
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I demo'ed the TR8 at GC for the third time. It has a very beefy snare and bass when tweaked. Where I struggled was getting a good balance on the reverbs. The gate and reverb mix is a little funky. But it sounds good. Maybe I just don't know the unit well enough yet. External reverb is always a possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycircuit ➑️
...was thinking of getting a system 1 as sort of mobile rig, is it too big and heavy to throw in a rucksack?
nope. I think that it will be great for travel.

SIZE AND WEIGHT
Width - 472 mm / 18-10/16 inches
Depth - 283 mm / 11-3/16 inches
Height - 70 mm / 2-13/16 inches
Weight - 2.4 kg / 5 lbs. 5 oz.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Plug-ins to run on a two octave keyboard? Why not just a quality midi controller?
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
hi guys,

the more time i spend with them the less convincing they become.
it is evident that there are more than subtle differences in both sound and behaviour between the airas and the originals.
i am sure the system1 plug out emulations will suffer from these same differences, so count me out.
i have tried to see them as the airas instead of comparing them to the originals but i can't really as, at the moment, all they do is improperly emulate classics.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe if the system 1 does well sales wise, they may have a bigger brother in development for other more advanced plugins i.e Jupiter/Juno series... Just a thought.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozle ➑️
Plug-ins to run on a two octave keyboard? Why not just a quality midi controller?
The part Roland haven't really confirmed is whether the "plug-outs" can also be used as "plugins". I think they won't and that whatever they release will only work on their platform. This will be a missed opportunity as it would be the Usp to make the system 1 unique. Any thoughts on that?!
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi there, just came across this: SSR London World Premier: SH-101 Plug-Out
So I guess we'll get some info around that date (June 26) or soon after.

Personally, I'm waiting for the manual to be available, which will hopefully be better than the TR8/TB3 manuals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozle ➑️
Obviously a MIDI controller won't have its own synth engine and that aside, the dedicated knob/slider per function is nice and the way that it will illuminate the controls that function with the plug-out synths is clever.

think of it as a synth like any other except that it can hold an additional sound engine and two distinct synths in one small package is appealing to me.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
What most appeal to me about the system one is that the arp can latch to tempo properly. So many VA synths don't have this feature it seems, proper midi syncing is pretty important for me. I'm cautiously optimistic about the system-1 honestly. Seems pretty versatile and will work well with other Aira gear. I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but quite like the aira range.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody have any insight into why the System One only holds eight patches? I'm thinking they either think that fewer options can be better for productivity, or (highly unlikely) they have some sort of unexpected hardware restraint. Any ideas?
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Because as the quantity of available sounds on a low cost synth increases, sales of synths at the high end of the price range decreases. It's a business constraint, not an technical constraint. Memory in all forms is quite affordable.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i am really looking forward to this synth!! i have lots of unfinished tracks waiting this so c'mon roland!!! let's have it!!!!!
πŸ“ Reply