The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is My JD-990 LCD Screen Dying?
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is My JD-990 LCD Screen Dying?

Hi,
I'm back again with another question about the JD-990 I was planning on selling. I started looking at the screen contrast settings after I moved the JD-990 out of its rack to take some additional sale pictures. It seems to me that the screen is a little dim. I can't recall how bright the screen of my last JD-990 was, but I remember my XV-5080 screen as being brighter than this. Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I don't want to sell a synth with a dying screen to an unwitting buyer. I have ended my Ebay listing early, while I try and sort this out.

Contrast setting 1:

Contrast setting 4:

Contrast setting 8 (max):
Old 5th June 2014
Deleted 7a792f4
I am also experiencing this on my JD-990.
Cannot read screen past Contrast=1 on mine.

I have an XV-5080 too (yes, overkill- I get it)-
Contrast-1 on the JD-990 looks like
Contrast-3 on the XV-5080

Not sure if this is an LCD problem or Backlight problem-
Maybe it is a single unit that has no separate backlight- guessing that as I have not seen anyone offer a backlight for it.

This may be the part # LCM32080YGV2 (Roland P/N 01908267) - but that might also be for an XP60 & XP80 (would make sense as they are from similar time)

Hoping someone can shed some 'light' on this (sorry- couldn't resist that one) :-)
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure Don Solaris will chime in here before long.

What you are showing is roughly comparable to my 990. Whether that's normal aging or just the way they've always looked is anyone's guess.

AFAIK there's no modern replacement for the 990's display, at least there's no modern replacement with that resolution.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well, I just got off the phone with Roland US support and surprise, surprise the LCD screen for the JD 990 is no longer available. Roland Japan doesn't have the part either, which is where all the parts for Roland US come from.

The LCD description is LCM32080YG. The Roland part # is 15029559.
It was later replaced with part # 0198267, which the tech told me is the part # for the LCD screen in the Roland XP 60 and XP 80 workstation/keyboards. Unfortunately, those parts are no longer available from Roland either.

I'm going to keep digging, but at this point it looks like the only remedy for a dead screen is buying another JD-990 (or XP 60/80 and stripping it for parts ... although pricewise, this option does not make much sense).
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
My XP-60 has the same problem. The LCD is almost unreadable at this point. I've also had no luck finding a replacement. From what I understand, this particular size and resolution LCD is no longer manufactured anywhere -- not even in China. Basically, folks, it looks like we're screwed.

EDIT: Btw, I've had this workstation since 1997. When it was new, the LCD was sharp and bright! So the dimness is definitely a result of aging.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is it possible to replace just the backlight?

D.
Old 5th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohack ➑️
Well, I just got off the phone with Roland US support and surprise, surprise the LCD screen for the JD 990 is no longer available. Roland Japan doesn't have the part either, which is where all the parts for Roland US come from.

The LCD description is LCM32080YG. The Roland part # is 15029559.
It was later replaced with part # 0198267, which the tech told me is the part # for the LCD screen in the Roland XP 60 and XP 80 workstation/keyboards. Unfortunately, those parts are no longer available from Roland either.
Check with Roland Canada. I'm serious. They seem to have a lot more replacement parts on hand than the US or Japanese divisions. As an example, they still have Alps button assemblies for the Jupiter 4.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
Is it possible to replace just the backlight?

D.
I don't know. I have not found anyone online who has done that with a JD-990. But I'm getting annoyed enough with the dim display that I may be willing to put mine under the knife. I'm researching EL panels, which I know are/were used in some other synths as backlights. My understanding is that some of them/all of them? can be cut to fit the size of the display. More research to be done at this end.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
There shouldn't be an EL foil in the JD-990 LCD. AFAIK it's LED lit. Maybe there can be some remedy in replacing the LEDs responsible for backlighting, the polarizer or something.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojjelito ➑️
There shouldn't be an EL foil in the JD-990 LCD. AFAIK it's LED lit. Maybe there can be some remedy in replacing the LEDs responsible for backlighting, the polarizer or something.
The backlight doesn't appear to be the problem -- it's the LCD. Perhaps the sandwich that makes up the LCD is separating over time, or the polarizer gets misaligned or clouded. Too much or too little pressure between the glass plates can do it too. These would cause the LCD to fade.

I've had similar issues with a DR-110 LCD display, but I was able to disassemble the display and fix it. Granted, the DR-110 display has fixed elements and the JD-990 is a much more complex passive matrix, and a sealed system -- but the principles are still the same.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just wanted to nip any EL foil ideas in the bud. There is none here, thanks for that! As a side note, I can't for the life of me understand why some will replace inferior stuff such as EL foils instead of getting brand new LED-lit LCDs wherever possible. Is it the grainy display background they cherish, or the incessant whine from the EL transformer?

Anyway, there's some hope that you can fix the sandwhich, or get this type of LCD from another suitable donor synth, say a Yamaha A5000, an XV-5080, JV-2080 or such.
Old 5th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have just opened up the JD990 service manual and I notice that the backlight power comes from a 220 Ohm resistor (R19) strung between plus and minus 15 volts, which over many years may have got hot and climbed in value. Rob, could you check this out? A Google search didn't reveal any manufacturer or supplier of a modern equivalent.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

This whole LCD death thing has me worried about the few bits I've got today. Wonder if I should go ahead and buy extra screens for the Virus TI, Eclipse, DR-202, and BR-532.

Problem is, I'm not a tech and wouldn't even know where to begin to source the properly compatible screens. Also the Eclipse screen would probably cost me $400 anyways. It seems very high quality and the last on my list of worries. I'd really like the DR-202 to have backlighting but I'm sure that'd probably require extra voltage from somewhere and would eat into battery life unless I installed some switch.
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've recently thought I noticed my JD-990's display getting dimmer. Damn it.
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm curious on whether a fix is available too - mine is dimmer than I'd like...
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
....and another dim screen 990 owner chiming in.
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just got off the phone with Roland Germany in a last-ditch effort to find a solution to the dying display in my XP-60. The rep told me that the only hope of finding one new is if some random repair center somewhere in the world just happened to have one lying around. Since normally these parts would have been ordered directly from Roland Japan only when needed, the chances of finding one are basically nil. It would seem the only solution (apart from a DIY hack-job) is to find a less dim screen from a damaged/canabalized unit with a compatible LCD. One should expect, though, that this LCD will eventually go dim as well.

Bummer.
Old 6th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
Just got off the phone with Roland Germany in a last-ditch effort to find a solution to the dying display in my XP-60. The rep told me that the only hope of finding one new is if some random repair center somewhere in the world just happened to have one lying around. Since normally these parts would have been ordered directly from Roland Japan only when needed, the chances of finding one are basically nil. It would seem the only solution (apart from a DIY hack-job) is to find a less dim screen from a damaged/canabalized unit with a compatible LCD. One should expect, though, that this LCD will eventually go dim as well.

Bummer.
Well, I wouldn't totally give up hope. It's been my experience that if it's worth saving someone will find a way to save it!

Case in point, the dying VFD displays for Xpander and Matrix-12. If someone can do that for synths that sold in far less numbers than the JD-990 (not even counting the XP/JV series here) then you really don't have to worry.

If someone were to make an add-on box for the JD-990 that routed the internal display to a cheaper/easier to get modern LCD screen, and maybe added some new sliders or buttons for better control I'd buy it in a heartbeat (some might interpret this as a hackjob). Even better: interface a small inexpensive computer like the Raspberry Pi to be an interpretive middleman for the JD-990's interface and just route the action to a modern HDMI screen and give it a mouse or touch screen interface.

Funny, a few months ago I was talking to Laszlo about doing something very similar with an auxiliary screen for the Jupiter-4 with Io. Something like this has already been done for the Chroma, of which only barely 1000 working units exist. I'm amazed at the lengths people will go revive a beloved synth if it means making more music!
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
I'm amazed at the lengths people will go revive a beloved synth if it means making more music!
You could be right. There are literally thousands of synths out there using these displays. I'm actually encouraged by the number of people posting in this thread with similar issues (sorry, but yes, misery does love company ).

The JD-990 is certainly beloved (as is the XV-5080). The other JV/XP synths, less so -- but they could still benefit.

The XP-60 may be nothing special but still, I'd hate to toss it after all these years.
Old 6th June 2014
Deleted 8dcaace
Not as bad as the OP's, but I have also noticed this decline in contrast, although audiohack's '4' equals my '8'. I have been searching for a replacement screen for a few years now and I had no luck back then, so seems even more remote now.

Someone must devise a way to use an existing model with some component mods to keep these going. I mean Juno-106's had that VCA problem and eventually someone cornered the market with replacements, and technology transplant did a Moog Source membrane for a while.
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine isn't that great either... It gets darker the longer it's been on.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty ➑️
Mine isn't that great either... It gets darker the longer it's been on.
Mine does that, but it's still quite legible.

D.,
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My JD-990 has kinda similar issues. It happens that sometimes when powering up the machine, the contrast looks too dark, so I readjust the contrast setting to lower setting... Next time powering on the machine, the contrast is to low and I re-adjust it to higher setting..

In this case it looks like the driver for the LCD has some kind of issues. I don't think, it doesnt have to do with the backlight. It's just the voltage dependant change of the liquid crystal. Together with the polarization layer it makes the total contrast. But I'm not an LCD-expert. Anyways I think it's a pure electrical problem in the circuitry. It has to be checked, if it's on the main PCB or inside the LCD-module.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
Mine does that, but it's still quite legible.

D.,
Ahh ok, maybe it isn't a biggy then. It doesn't appear to be getting worse.
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The adventurer could attempt to adjust the contrast control voltage range. There's a mixer where +5V goes through R11, 1K together with CNTRL0-2 ran through 39K, 22K and 10K as R12 - R14. Some slight nudging here could lead to a different usable contrast control span. You could use Kirchoff to solve this in order to see what this mixer does. Or, just measure the Vo line.
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow. This thread generated more responses than I expected. Thanks for all your replies. I must say that this makes me both happy and sad. Happy knowing that having more minds working on the problem will increase the chance of finding a solution. Sad that many of us are in the same predicament with our aging JD synths. Unfortunately, I am just at the electronics 101 stage of my learning curve when it comes to diagnosing and repairing electronic components. So with that in mind, I am going to see what information I can gather from the Sharp corporation this coming week. I believe they were the manufacturers of the original LCD screens for the JD-990. Since it is an obsolete product, perhaps they might be willing to provide some schematics or at least some additional technical information that might help us find a suitable replacement. It may be a long shot, but I will report back with what I find out from Sharp.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just throwing my hat in the ring with the rest of you. I have a JV-2080 and the screen is decidedly less bright. When viewed from my normal angle, contrast 4 is slightly too dim and Contrast 5 makes the entire background visible. Head-on, contrast 5 looks pretty good, but the display is definitely dim. Found this thread while searching for the (apparently unicorn-level elusive) 320x80 LCD display.
Old 11th June 2014
Deleted 61b93a1
Worst case (dead display in a live synth), would it be possible to get by with editor software, and sending program changes from the controller keyboard to change patches?

An ugly solution, but better than no jd990 whatsoever.

I'm trying to think what you lose this way . . . can you change MIDI and global settings in the editor, like what MIDI channel the unit receives on?

My 990 is arriving Friday, want it to have a long life.
Old 30th September 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, of course it would be possible to send program changes from a controller or remotely control everything using a software editor.

And I can also confirm that the display (background) gets dimmer the longer it's on.
Contrast settings beyond 2 are completely useless then.

So obviously it has something to do with heat inside the unit.
Old 30th September 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, of course it would be possible to send program changes from a controller or remotely control everything using a software editor.

And I can also confirm that the display (background) gets dimmer the longer it's on.
Contrast settings beyond 2 are completely useless then.

So obviously it has something to do with heat inside the unit.
πŸ“ Reply