Quantcast
I have joined the cult of the Ensoniq DP/4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have joined the cult of the Ensoniq DP/4
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have joined the cult of the Ensoniq DP/4

This is a rival / spin off thread of the the H3000 one..

Not everyone can plunk down for an Eventide so this is a nice alternative

Love the phaser on this box & its got some cool old school reverb too..

Show your love
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A great box, but I'm more and more fond of the dp pro for verbs and delays. Instant deep/dark techno. For modulations, the 4/2 will always have an edge.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Count me in!

I've had the DP/4 for 20 years now.

Great box!
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I started with a DP/4 and later got a DP/4+ as well. They have lots of interesting settings unlike other FX units I have used (in the same price range).
Old 10th April 2014
Deleted User
I'm with the cult of DP/2 which has more presets and user space than the DP/4. I wouldn't pay the going rate 4's are now and the stupid attachment of Daft Punk that sellers use to inflate the price!
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Who's Daft Punk?
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am a member of the dp2 cult.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lots of love for the DP/4 over here. Great modulation algos and murky verbs. The dark box of darkness.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a member of the cult (DP/4).

Such a great character box (which is why, I guess, you regularly see it in high-end studios, surrounded by uber-expensive machines).

I used to use it mainly for phasers, flangers, and delays (acknowledged strengths), but I've come to really love the reverbs, too -- super spacey, grainy, and trippy. Phenomenal ambient machine.

Plus it looks GREAT in the rack.
Old 10th April 2014
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
Loved mine. Sold it . Idiot!
Old 11th April 2014
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had a DP/4, then a DP/2 for touring in the 90's, sold that and bought a DP/4+, it got wonky so I bought another DP/4+. So I guess I'm on my 4th DP series now.

It's permanently stuck into two of my AUX sends, and returns into 2 stereo channels. It never leaves the rack or direct patch!

Really lives up to it's hype, and I will replace them if they break until there are none left or the price hits the $1k mark
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I run my modular through it. It's niiice, I like.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is no such cult
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
TBS
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneySheldon ➑️
There is no such cult
You've obviously been brainwashed.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mine errors upon launching - sometimes quite a few times - after that all is good.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the DP/4, i looooove it. Best phasers/flangers in the world, high five
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
DP4 and DP pro here. I much prefer using the DP4.

Recently I've been making drones with it, using short feedback delays as tone generators. Great fun.
I was inspired by this video by Don Solaris, which anyway deserves to be in this thread.

Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Definitely a cool unit. I'm using my DP4 also here and there. I need to service it though, the data wheel is not responding very well anymore :(
Old 11th April 2014

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
+1 for the thread title!!

One thing i would like to say about DP4 is that preset reverbs are so...so. But if you like large spaced reverbs, this is where this machine shines!! Many people are not aware. The trick is to apply that low freq decay thing up, until the point it starts to rumble, like +20 or so and use reverb time like 10-15sec. And before you know you'll end up.... far far away in deep space.

Room reverbs on DP4 are IMO ****ty. I can highly recommend Midiverb I for that task.

Another thing where DP4 is good is 2U mode. For example Chorus into Stereo Delay sounds good on this thing. If used via Send/Return, i highly recommend you to go into System menu and enable "Set All 1U presets to wet".

My effects setup that works every time for dry synths like DX-7 or Prophet VS is: fully wet Chorus into -> StereoDelay. So that no chorus signal is directly returned from the unit to the mixer, but instead it goes into delay, and then signal returns to the mixer. It adds some really nice flavor to dry sounding synths, a lot of space, but still leaving enough space in the mix for the reverb.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Member here.

I once made a 2U vocoder preset.
Basically copied 2 of the units over one at a time to another preset.
Weird because manual said vocoder had to use all 4 engines.
It wasn't as intelligible as a 4U vocoder.. But worth noting.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

I should explore this beast more. Playing aroung with extreme settings as Don Solaris mentioned it. And then there is also the flexible feedback routing which will probably take it even a step further heh
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shameless spam, but thinking to sell my dp4 and just keep the dp2. Contact me if you're interested.
Old 11th April 2014

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oh yeah one thing i forgot to complain about are the presets storage. It is TOTAL confusion in there! Even after 2 years i still sometimes go the wrong direction (being in a system preset mode instead of effect preset mode) and similar mistakes.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also still need the manual from times to times to operate the presets system. Same for the dp2. The pro is much easier in that sense.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Enjoying mine (DP/4) quite a but, subscribed for all the info and info to come, in this thread.

Agreed, that the preset navigation takes a little bit of my brain with it.

Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Do any of the things mentioned here apply to the onboard effects in the TS10/12 or ASR10?
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You guys all suck. You get to have your Eventide cults and your DP cults. Well fine, be that way. I and my Boss GT Pro will be a cult of ONE! AH! HAHAHAAH!! YOU'LL SEE!!! YOU'LL SEE!!! I'll fix you all and your little dogs too!

(sulks away cuz he don't need you anyway...
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
Do any of the things mentioned here apply to the onboard effects in the TS10/12 or ASR10?
You can't go wrong with Ensoniq effects. The DP/4 has 4 DSP chips in versus one in the TS/ASR.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Another member of the Dp/4 cult here. For those who've been considering a DP/Pro, pick up an ASR-X for cheap and you get the same FX plus a 32 voice sampler for free!
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
had a dp/4, sold it for a dp/4+ which broke, then got another dp/4. definitely a fan, just not so much a fan of the SMT crap in the dp/4+ dying...sticking with the dp/4 for now.
πŸ“ Reply