Quantcast
Evolver Desktop Patch Names - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Evolver Desktop Patch Names
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Evolver Desktop Patch Names

I had sold my Poly Evolver Rack a while back. (And of course sold it just before the prices went through the roof.) I just wasn't digging the somewhat harsh tone when playing pads and other polyphonic sounds. But then I found myself missing some of the cool sequences so I picked up an Evolver desktop on the cheap.

What I'm now trying to figure out is the patch naming situation on the Evolver desktop. Even though the desktop unit doesn't have a display to show the patch name, you can apparently store patch names if you save your named patches using the SoundTower editor. These are recalled when transferring (via sysex) the patches back into the editor from the device.

However, since none of the Evolver desktop presets are named, when you load these into the machine, the previous patch names are still in place (assuming you had transferred named patches to the Evolver previously). In this situation, the patch names of course don't correspond to the sounds at all (because the names are for patches in a different bank). This supposedly happens on all the Evolver models. That is, if you load Evolver Desktop presets into a Poly Evolver, for instance, the previous patch names will still be present in the machine which is super confusing.

So I'm hoping that if I rename all the patches in the Evolver desktop preset banks (by just giving the patches generic names like "Preset A.001",) that this will then prevent the situation I am describing.

And this brings me to my rant: Why would DSI be so incredibly lazy and not name the preset patches if these names are actually stored in the synth and transferred with the patches when saved to the computer? This laziness results in a lot of head scratching. And that's the thing that bugs me about DSI. They seem to half ass everything from the build quality of their synths (except the new Prophet 12) to the presets included in them. End of rant.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue with patch names in the Evolver desktop, please let me know if my proposed solution (to provide names for the presets) makes sense. And if you have by any chance already done this, then for the love of God, please send me the patches! :-)
📝 Reply