Looking for a loop/groove 76.98 bpm - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a loop/groove 76.98 bpm
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Looking for a loop/groove 76.98 bpm

Hello slutz!

I've been working on a song for a while, a LONG while, and haven't been happy with any of the grooves I've come up with.

the song is 76.98 bpm. The bpm comes from an Alesis Micron hardware synth which I used originally.

Something fairly understated I guess - just came from a loud drum track and it didn't work. The closest thing out there would be Massive Attack's Teardrop.

I am just looking for a short 8 bar loop wav. Anyone care to assist. I would be SO grateful.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
your post is insulting to electronic music, create your own loop, its the whole point.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse ➑️
your post is insulting to electronic music, create your own loop, its the whole point.

Oh pullllease

Why make the guy feel bad, what's the point in that?

While I share your (maybe) view that we should be creating as much of our own content as possible, that train has long since left the station in a music genre that lives off sample packs and loops.

Besides, who knows how he is using a loop. And don't even get into the "are we creating something new with loops" long since dead debate.

I guess what I'm saying is, we be such a... ?
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
yea, that train has left the station. we've reached a point where creating a piece of music can be as simple as cutting/pasting together a powerpoint presentation.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Creating a piece of music is now as simple as asking someone to give you a percussion loop that fits the other loops that other people made.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Get some drum loop sample packs and start time-stretching! Google it
Old 15th March 2014
msl
Lives for gear

You'd have to post a clip of the rest of the song for us to tell what suits… kinda pointless otherwise.

Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here is the clip with my current drum track:

https://soundcloud.com/maximusontari...-rain-12-23-13

Strong allusion to Teardrop.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just sample teardrop and be done with it?
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Best thing to do, and most artistic, is to build up a repeating rhythm with more abstract electronic sounds - like the Massive Attack song.
Very likely not going to be a drum loop on that MS track, more like a composed rhythm bed.
I would avoid real or quasi-real drum sounds, because as soon as you use real drum sounds on a classic singer-songwriter song like 'Fire and Rain' you're posing the question - Why is the drummer ignoring the song? Which is gonna hurt your final outcome.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its likely going to upset Phil Collins too.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, your track is dangerously derivitive as it is, so perhaps your next move would be to add a drum loop that is counter to what you want to do (and what is expected), and then perhaps build some other elements (again, something that is a good juxta-position).

-a
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
maybe I will just break up the drum track into individual sounds, then start substituting in non-drums sounds with processing, and having it evolve a bit, especially in the chorus
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I think your drums sound "wrong" for this particular song. I can understand the Teardrop-thing you're going for, but I wouldn't think of Teardrop if I heard your song on the radio (which is good = means your song has originality!). Have you thought about removing the drums completely? Less is more! Your song is actually really good But I feel the drums are killing it. You should either make them less "in your face", or remove them completely. Atleast that's my suggestion.
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghetti ➑️
I think your drums sound "wrong" for this particular song. I can understand the Teardrop-thing you're going for, but I wouldn't think of Teardrop if I heard your song on the radio (which is good = means your song has originality!). Have you thought about removing the drums completely? Less is more! Your song is actually really good But I feel the drums are killing it. You should either make them less "in your face", or remove them completely. Atleast that's my suggestion.
I agree about the drums, that's why I want to change it. The drumtrack by itself, sounds great, but it doesn't fit well in this context. More subtle and connected. And I want to become a better creator of drumtracks/loops/grooves, so that's why I'm here asking for help. Not looking for someone to hand me a loop that I'll just use and forget about, but something I can then analyze WHY it works better than what I've been doing.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I wouldn't think of Teardrop if I heard your song on the radio (which is good = means your song has originality!). Have you thought about removing the drums completely? Less is more! Your song is actually really good .
It's a cover!
It's a classic hit from the 60's. James Taylor.
There is nothing original about this recording. It might turn out ok if the drums get sorted.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
It's a cover!
There is nothing original about this recording. It might turn out ok if the drums get sorted.

Which song is that because it's also a virtual cover of "Teardrop" by Massive Attack...

... or was Massive Attack ripping James Taylor... and this is now a 3rd generation rip

(Not meant to be a jab at the OP. It's perfectly fine to draw inspiration from an artsist, but then take it in a different direction that is your own).

Keith Richards once famously said, "Yeah, we rip off from old Blues artists, we're just smart enough to do it from the B-sides."

-a
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, that was hard...

It's only his most famous song...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
Which song is that because it's also a virtual cover of "Teardrop" by Massive Attack...

... or was Massive Attack ripping James Taylor... and this is now a 3rd generation rip
Well yes, the vocal and guitar are almost identical to the original James Taylor, with just a repetitive drum pattern bolted on.
Which DAW is the OP using? Almost every DAW comes with a drum sequencer/sampler. Most daws come with a bunch of free drum sounds. You can download free drum sample packs from Goldbaby even (google them).
I would program a Massive Attack style groove using your daw's free electronic drum sounds, or with a free Goldbaby pack.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
that's why I'm here - to take it in a different direction. I will likely keep the Teardrop opening though. I could change the 3 notes in the Teardop allusion, and it would be even more derivative, because I'd be trying to hide the fact it came from Teardrop.
Most folks in North America would recognize it as the theme to the TV show "House" not Massive Attack.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I would probably not spend months tinkering with an old classic that has been covered 10,000 times. OK to use it as a learning tool, but if you are just going to cut and paste two covers together you aren't learning much.
Spend a week on a cover maybe?
Spend months on original material (if you have to).

The first thing I would learn from this is you could have easily retimed your track to 77bpm.
Secondly, you could have learned to emulate someone else's drum groove by individually programming each part yoursellf, rather than looking for a pre-made loop.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well yes, the vocal and guitar are almost identical to the original James Taylor, with just a repetitive drum pattern bolted on.
Which DAW is the OP using? Almost every DAW comes with a drum sequencer/sampler. Most daws come with a bunch of free drum sounds. You can download free drum sample packs from Goldbaby even (google them).
I would program a Massive Attack style groove using your daw's free electronic drum sounds, or with a free Goldbaby pack.
I use Studio One, and EZDrummer. It's not the sounds I am worried about. It's the groove I really want to work on. Does anyone here use Stylus RMX, or is that passΓ©?

I do split up time between originals and covers.
Just checking out Goldbaby right now. And yes at least half the reason for me doing the song is for learning.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariomaximus ➑️
I use Studio One, and EZDrummer. It's not the sounds I am worried about. It's the groove I really want to work on.
But the main thing wrong with your current drums is the sound. The groove is in the ballpark, but it sounds like a slamming rock drummer ignoring James Taylor, not the ethereal subtle sound of the Massive Attack rhythm bed.
There is an EZdrummer expansion called 'Electronic'.
Also, if you want to learn about drum parts and groove, looking for a pre-made loop is not going to teach you anything.
You seem to be looking for an instant fix, rather than spending an evening collecting some appropriate sounds (check out Goldbaby) and working out a pattern with them.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whoa whoa whoa...

Ok, I'm feeling pretty lame and pretty played!

So, the song is a straight out rip off of Massive Attack's "Teardrop," which he cites as the reference, but the Massive Attack song is actually a rip off of James Taylor's "Fire & Rain."

And the OP's Massive Attack rip off is called... wait for it...

"Fire & Rain"

Did I miss something or is the monumental joke on me? heh
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You're very confused, or making a joke I don't understand.
Did you listen to his song?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Massive Attack sampled this beat for Teardrop:

So sample the same beat and you have the same'ish sound. Most Massive Attack beats are looped samples.

Quote:
Best thing to do, and most artistic, is to build up a repeating rhythm with more abstract electronic sounds - like the Massive Attack song.
What abstract electronic sounds? Teardrop mostly has only that sampled loop put trough heavy compression and eq. Later on the song the loop is put trough fx and added over the original loop.
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's a cover!
Aha, I didn't know that. Never heard of James Taylor in my entire life. I still think OP's song is good
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Yeah, just get a couple of one-shot drum hits together (a kick and a rimshot) and move 'em around until you get the groove you want! Even better if you do this with snap-to-grid/ quantisation switched off. The drums Massive Attack sampled from Les McCann are played really quietly, and the kick sounds more like a weird thud than a drum, which is awesome. I think using really low-key, not super-loud-limited-shouty, drum sounds will help a lot..
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That Les McCann was NICE!

thanks for your input, gentlemen.

working on the drum loop now. going to also offer the "teardrop theme" again at end of the choruses (chorii?)
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Aha, I didn't know that. Never heard of James Taylor in my entire life. I still think OP's song is good
This thread just keeps on delivering.

And I didn't think James Taylor could get any worse.
πŸ“ Reply