Quantcast
Another ebay issue - what to do? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another ebay issue - what to do?
Old 15th March 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Another ebay issue - what to do?

So I recently won a top condition Korg EX-8000 which the seller's listing said worked 100%. I paid top dollar in the auction (the highest any have gone for recently) because I really wanted a mint unit.

After receiving it I unboxed and it was indeed in the physical description as shown and I quickly powered on to make sure all was working. No noisy pots, all buttons good, patches sound fine. Cool I think and shut it off.

The next day I power on and all the patches are kind of randomed out. It seems to me perhaps the internal battery is dead. Can anyone confirm this as the issue? I wrote the seller informing him and asking if he'd reimburse me for getting a new battery in And he said no - that it worked when he had it - and if I'm not happy I have to pay to ship back to him for a refund. Mind you I unfortunately already left him positive ebay feedback based on the first power up where the patches were working.

Does anyone know if the battery is user replaceable? If so I guess I could suck it up and buy a battery but I read at least on the DW-8000 that it requires soldering. What should I do?
Old 15th March 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DJRAZZ's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Take it to a tech and hope it is just the battery. A small burn and price to pay for winning something you wanted from evil bay. Things can always be worst and usually are in these situations than a dead battery issue. Good luck and I hope that is all it is.
Old 15th March 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Batteries are cheap, and that sounds like a likely culprit. Install a new one and see if that fixes it. I've had similar issues with other synths (not familiar with that one) that were caused by a dead battery.
Old 15th March 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Here's a really good tutorial for changing the battery (I assume EX-8000 and DW-8000 pcb's are alike):

HOWTO: Korg DW-8000 Battery Replacement

It is soldered so I recommend taking it to a tech if you don't have prior experience with electronics. Replace it with a battery holder so changing the battery will be easier in future (in 10-15 years time ).
Old 15th March 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Teknobeam's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hopefully battery....replace that first....keep in mind that you will erase all of the onboard patches. When you replace the battery...you will have no sound. You have to build a patch in order to get sound. So....before you do the battery...call up a patch...then physically call up every parameter and record the value on a piece of paper. When you finish replacing the battery, this will give you a good starting point.

There is also a chance that you have a power supply issue ( probably old electrolytic caps that need to be replaced).... Don't go there until you replace the battery.
Old 15th March 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Teknobeam's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
A little background.. I have an EX8000 and a DW8000. I bought the EX8000 after picking up the DW8000.

I bought the DW8000 on Ebay about four years ago. The seller claimed it was "all good"....it wasn't .. There was no sound. I only paid about $150.00 for it so opening a case was kind of a waste of my time. so.....it looked good...great keybed.....buttons worked....lights came on (everybody was home)... so I popped the hood. saw the battery and swapped it out. Turned it back on and ......still no sound. I ran up the oscillators, gave the filter a value.. made some values in the EG, etc. Surely that would yield some sound....Nada. I started thinking (recycle depot).. Then I remeberd that I had emailed a guy that had done a Youtube video of a DW8000 with a CS80 simulated patch. He was kind enough to email me the parameters. I entered those into the synth and voila!...I just love that synth. So....just a heads up. I have to say that the DW8000, and the EX8000 were actually very well built Korgs. A testament to that is the fact that they are still going strong today.
Old 15th March 2014
  #7
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
So I recently won a top condition Korg EX-8000 which the seller's listing said worked 100%. I paid top dollar in the auction (the highest any have gone for recently) because I really wanted a mint unit.

After receiving it I unboxed and it was indeed in the physical description as shown and I quickly powered on to make sure all was working. No noisy pots, all buttons good, patches sound fine. Cool I think and shut it off.

The next day I power on and all the patches are kind of randomed out. It seems to me perhaps the internal battery is dead. Can anyone confirm this as the issue? I wrote the seller informing him and asking if he'd reimburse me for getting a new battery in And he said no - that it worked when he had it - and if I'm not happy I have to pay to ship back to him for a refund. Mind you I unfortunately already left him positive ebay feedback based on the first power up where the patches were working.

Does anyone know if the battery is user replaceable? If so I guess I could suck it up and buy a battery but I read at least on the DW-8000 that it requires soldering. What should I do?
Um, it could be the battery, or it could be worse.

Tell the seller you want a refund, and you want to return it and not to have to pay shipping.

If he contests you open a case with eBay.


They'll side with you on this one, pretty sure. You probably won't have to pay shipping.


Problem is that you don't know if the seller hid this problem from you and it could be an indication of something worse. I've had several seller hide problems. Right now is your chance to return it, if you don't and it happens again after the battery replacement you'll eventually lose out and wish you had just returned it in the first place. Or you'll have to fight for more money to repair it but the seller doesn't seem to be cooperative. Not to forget you'll be wasting time.

Other people might be right and it might be the battery but it's a guessing game at this point. Realistically you just bought something that has an immediate problem only a short time after arrival.

Especially if you paid a decent amount for it.

I've been in a similar situation and if I could go back I would have just returned it right away. I didn't and lost money.

Everyone here can give you advice but in the end it's your cash not theirs. Everyone on GS seems to either be techy or think they are a tech but that doesn't mean they can realistically diagnose your synth without testing and opening her up.
Old 15th March 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks all so far - I too think it just the battery, but how should I deal with the seller? Am I SOL? If I take it to a tech I could be out all the money if he won't reimburse me and then I can't ship back for refund. Am I wrong to expect that he pay for the repair?
Old 15th March 2014
  #9
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
So I recently won a top condition Korg EX-8000 which the seller's listing said worked 100%. I paid top dollar in the auction (the highest any have gone for recently) because I really wanted a mint unit.

It's an EX8000 not a Jupiter 8.

You can find more. You paid top dollar. Without a doubt I would return it.

As you can see from the uncertain questions you just asked, why would you want to deal with issues. Just send it back and be done with it. Find another. I bought one for 210.00 perfect working order no problems months ago.

If you didn't pay top dollar and it was dirty cheap I'd say it might be worth a fix up but you didn't.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Teknobeam's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
Thanks all so far - I too think it just the battery, but how should I deal with the seller? Am I SOL? If I take it to a tech I could be out all the money if he won't reimburse me and then I can't ship back for refund. Am I wrong to expect that he pay for the repair?
Tell him your story. If he is a reasonable person he will offer to reduce the price a bit so that you can replace the battery. But heres the thing...Coincidences do happen, but what are the chances that he didn't see the same thing that you did...Or did that just happen all of a sudden just as you purchased it? It's a familiar story.. With that said...do you want to make a federal case out of it and waste a bunch of time and energy? Your goal is to have a working EX8000.

Contact the guy with your problem and ask him what he is prepared to do about it. Don't be too lovey dovey.

~~~> Hello, The item just arrived. It has some serious issues with the programming. I'm very disappointed because I was expecting a fully functioning EX8000 that I could start making music with immediately. How would you like to handle this.

Send something like this right away. This is open ended...it puts the ball back in his court (where it should be)...it isn't threatening, and it gives him an opportunity to do the right thing and resolve the issue. But also, it does imply that you aren't a pushover and probably won't be conceding until you are satisfied. In the long run,, this message shows Ebay that you were attempting to resolve the problem reasonably. He should respond within two days at the latest. If he doesn't...open a dispute right away.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➑️
It's an EX8000 not a Jupiter 8.

You can find more. You paid top dollar. Without a doubt I would return it.

As you can see from the uncertain questions you just asked, why would you want to deal with issues. Just send it back and be done with it. Find another. I bought one for 210.00 perfect working order no problems months ago.

If you didn't pay top dollar and it was dirty cheap I'd say it might be worth a fix up but you didn't.
I hear ya, but this one is cosmetically flawless and those are hard to come by.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
Tell him your story. If he is a reasonable person he will offer to reduce the price a bit so that you can replace the battery. But heres the thing...Coincidences do happen, but what are the chances that he didn't see the same thing that you did...Or did that just happen all of a sudden just as you purchased it? It's a familiar story.. With that said...do you want to make a federal case out of it and waste a bunch of time and energy? Your goal is to have a working EX8000.

Contact the guy with your problem and ask him what he is prepared to do about it. Don't be too lovey dovey.

~~~> Hello, The item just arrived. It has some serious issues with the programming. I'm very disappointed because I was expecting a fully functioning EX8000 that I could start making music with immediately. How would you like to handle this.

Send something like this right away. This is open ended...it puts the ball back in his court (where it should be)...it isn't threatening, and it gives him an opportunity to do the right thing and resolve the issue. But also, it does imply that you aren't a pushover and probably won't be conceding until you are satisfied. In the long run,, this message shows Ebay that you were attempting to resolve the problem reasonably. He should respond within two days at the latest. If he doesn't...open a dispute right away.
Yeah I wrote him via hotmail already yesterday explaining the situation and asked if he'd be willing to reimburse for the new battery. He wrote back saying it worked when he sent it and that I can either deal with it or send it back. I don't get the attitude. He will have to get it fixed before he can re-sell, and he probably won't get as much the second time around since I won't bid on it again - I pushed it up really high cause I really wanted this mint condition example. People are strange.
Old 15th March 2014
  #13
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I can understand the seller's stance. As a seller, I don't do partial refunds. If something is damaged or not as described, I'll take it back for a refund. It sounds like the seller is willing to this for you. It's up to you to decide if you want to keep it and fix it or send it back and wait for another mint specimen.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
  #14
Deleted 8dcaace
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
Yeah I wrote him via hotmail already yesterday explaining the situation and asked if he'd be willing to reimburse for the new battery.
Don't use any personal email address for communications, do it all through eBay in case you need to start a case (sic).
Old 15th March 2014
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Think of it this way..

What if you'd sold an instrument in perfect working order and the buyer then contacts you detailing issues and requesting a partial refund? You may suspect he's trying it on to get some money back.

He's offered a refund so its there if you're not happy with the purchase
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 160 views: 36864
Avatar for holyjaguar85
holyjaguar85 23rd May 2017
replies: 140 views: 29314
Avatar for DiggingForRoots
DiggingForRoots 16th June 2017
replies: 69 views: 14186
Avatar for CoolColJ
CoolColJ 18th July 2015
replies: 72 views: 6548
Avatar for analog1
analog1 30th December 2013
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump