Quantcast
So, everyone that hates the P08 - care to match some examples with VST? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So, everyone that hates the P08 - care to match some examples with VST?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So, everyone that hates the P08 - care to match some examples with VST?

There's always so MUCH bitching on here about how the P08 sounds crappy and like a plugin - which is so far from the truth.

So, I ask, IF I post 5 examples from the P08 later, presets - care to prove it and try to match the patches with a plugin? We can really settle this once and for all.

Anyone game??? Care to put your money where your fingers are? (that just sounds wrong, doesn't it?)
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you include a snapshot of the settings, sure. I owned a P08 and sold it. Sylenth is just too close to the P08 for me to justify the $1500 box.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the P08 but I think that the main complaint isn't that it sounds like a plugin but that it doesn't sound enough like some of the ballsier classic polysynths. An interesting test would be to post some clips from an OB-X, Voyetra 8, SE CODE 8, Sunsyn, Andromeda, or Rev 2 Prophet 5 and then have people try to match them with a Prophet 08.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Id be interested in how close anyone can get...maybe Diva is also worth trying with the JP Osc and Obie filter...to my ears the P08 always sounded much thicker than any soft synth...some basic pads and basses might be interesting to compare...

My issue with the P08 is the high end and vibe (or lack of) of the Osc...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally, I'd love to hear some straight forward samples of the oscillator "slop" feature being used at different ranges without any kind of effects or even filter settings going on. This is the one feature I'm interested in the most since it seems like it would make it sound more organic like a VCO synth, but I can't find any samples of it in action.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've never heard a VA that sounded quite like the P08

that said, I still don't think it was worth owning for me, it just didn't sound good enough to justify the money I paid for it, the build quality didn't help either

Nothing to hate though, just wasn't for me
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
Personally, I'd love to hear some straight forward samples of the oscillator "slop" feature being used at different ranges without any kind of effects or even filter settings going on. This is the one feature I'm interested in the most since it seems like it would make it sound more organic like a VCO synth, but I can't find any samples of it in action.
The slop feature on the P08 is subtle even at max (5). If isolated each oscillator will still sound very DCO-ish even with max slop.

On the P12 one can adjust the slop to a much greater degree.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I was talking to someone designing a synth the other day and he told me something interesting about DCO vs VCO. Its not just the longer term fluctuations - but on the per wave basis with a VCO due to a 1% variance in the FET which which trigger the reset of the cycle. So each cycle is slightly different although over time they average out to sound like they are the same...its just another slight variance in the sound our ear will pick up on in comparison to a DCO-which to me often sounds naggingly stable.

Anyways thats a bit OT...will look fwd to some examples from MV...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'll post the examples regardless and if someone wants to try and match them they can. Something to do tonight as I drink some beers and basque in my studio that I will be keeping hahaha.

I'll do an OSC slop comparison too - i never really heard anything i just always turn it all the way up.

Also, as requested, I can easily show you the patches visually since i use the VST editor.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Id be interested in how close anyone can get...maybe Diva is also worth trying with the JP Osc and Obie filter...to my ears the P08 always sounded much thicker than any soft synth...some basic pads and basses might be interesting to compare...

My issue with the P08 is the high end and vibe (or lack of) of the Osc...
I'm also interested in how close anyone can get. I've used a lot of software, including Diva (wich is great), but none could match that P08 thick sound. Now I have my own P08!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➑️
I like the P08 but I think that the main complaint isn't that it sounds like a plugin but that it doesn't sound enough like some of the ballsier classic polysynths.
I think you're right. Several local music stores had the P08 in stock a year or two ago, and I went and spent several hours playing with it and auditioning it because I was pretty sure I wanted to buy one.

I initially went in expecting it to sound something like a Prophet 5. This turned out not to be the case. And it's not that it was worse than a P-5. Just different.

It's a very flexible synth, though, and I'll probably buy one somewhere down the line. It does a good job of covering a lot of the standard pad and bass sounds I was interested in, and some EQ and effects will tend to liven up its sound.

I'm convinced that part of what underwhelmed me about the Prophet 08's sound was my proximity to the cheap monitors it was playing through at the music store, and the fact that pretty much every synth of a similar sonic character sounds kind of bland in that kind of audio environment.

I'd also change out the knobs if I got one.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
Personally, I'd love to hear some straight forward samples of the oscillator "slop" feature since it seems like it would make it sound more organic like a VCO synth
Organic = out of tune
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think maybe it's name is it's curse. No one ever said it was supposed to sound like a prophet 5. It was created in legacy of the prophet 5 by the same man.

I will say this, i would NOT pay full price for the keyboard new. A used rack is where the value is, which is what I have.

I guarantee though that you will not reproduce the P08's sound with any plugin. To me, it sounds very analog. To be honest though, I have never owned a VCO poly.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's another difference that may play a role.

Back in the day, the Prophet range that used VCOs could select any combination of triangle, saw, square/pulse as a waveform. One, two, or all three. Per oscillator. You could have harmonics associated with 6 waves going on.

DSI synths these days can only select one waveform per oscillator. There is a saw-triangle option, but it doesn't behave the same as combining a saw & triangle separately. This, coupled with the tighter pitched oscillators may contribute to the neutered (less ballsy) sound. There is a sub oscillator in some cases, but pitching the root down an octave means less frequencies interact with the filter.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➑️
I like the P08 but I think that the main complaint isn't that it sounds like a plugin but that it doesn't sound enough like some of the ballsier classic polysynths. An interesting test would be to post some clips from an OB-X, Voyetra 8, SE CODE 8, Sunsyn, Andromeda, or Rev 2 Prophet 5 and then have people try to match them with a Prophet 08.
Good idea, it'll have a hard time sounding like other filters and it's got a different tone from the Andromeda, but you might be surprised how close it might get.

So if anyone has some clips get posting...
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This guy has a couple of great vintage sounding demos that make it sound pretty fantastic for any analog poly to me. I've never actually played a P 08 though.

Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm very interested in the P08, thinking of getting a module…. these are interesting:

P08 compared to Pr5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C36W-L0VnGI

P08 compared with OB 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVpyPz0lMQ
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
listen man, ..if you want one get it...

I started to do the clips but i got kinda pissy drunk, but here's 2 of them

this is through rosetta 800 clocked to big ben - nu plugins no boost nothing
Attached Files

bass.mp3 (448.6 KB, 657 views)

strings.mp3 (523.0 KB, 676 views)

swell.mp3 (471.0 KB, 617 views)

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️

I like 'em!

I had a Minimoog, a Juno 106, and a Jupiter 6 (and played everything else at the time) when they each first came out - so I remember the sound of analog synths - I like the sound of the P08 and I'm gettin' one!
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think the types of sounds where the Prophet '08 just kills any plugin are those that use the Audio Mod (Filter FM) with the resonance cranked up. That is such a cool sound especially if you modulate the filter with a sample and hold LFO. Diva does a pretty decent job with those kinds of sounds. But it still sounds too precise and digital.

Another nice trick is to modulate the pulse width of the oscillators independently (with two different LFOs running at slightly different rates). You can get some huge, warm pad sounds on the Prophet '08 that way that I haven't heard on any plugin.

Bass sounds are a weak spot, though. No offense Mike, but the bass example you supplied is pretty thin compared to other analog synths. I think you could do that particular sound with a lot of plugins.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki1 ➑️
I like 'em!

I had a Minimoog, a Juno 106, and a Jupiter 6 (and played everything else at the time) when they each first came out - so I remember the sound of analog synths - I like the sound of the P08 and I'm gettin' one!
I also have a Juno 106 and a moog. The profits 08 stacks up well. I am glad you like it if you need more examples let me know
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Nice, especially the strings and swell. Screenshots of your sound design?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend ➑️
Bass sounds are a weak spot, though. No offense Mike, but the bass example you supplied is pretty thin compared to other analog synths. I think you could do that particular sound with a lot of plugins.
yea like i said i just found some presets and tweaked a bit, I planned something greater but got kinda wasted lmao so sorry for being kinda lame. That bass was kinda weak lol but i will say that i have used the P08 for bass in completed tracks plenty of times to great success.

Here is that string patch, layers A and B

The sound tower editor really brings this synth alive IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
So, everyone that hates the P08 - care to match some examples with VST?-stringsa.jpg   So, everyone that hates the P08 - care to match some examples with VST?-stringsb.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'd like to pick up a used Tetra, but the interface is worthless and everyone seems to say that the sound tower program is also worthless. Is there something unique about the P08 program that makes it work better, or some people just have better luck using sound tower than others?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i dunno i heard the tetra one is buggy but the P08 one is good. i dont like the way it saves and stuff like that so i basically just use it for visualization and i save with the buttons on the unit itself.

so my method is this..the editor has all of the presets build in to browse, so i use that and then if i modify a patch on the editor and save a song in cubase (usually) i just save the patch on the unit because the editor wont recall patches with a saved DAW project. so i just save on the unit and then make a note of the patch number on the track in cubase.

then, when you want to work on that track again, you just recall the patch on the hardware and then hit "retrieve" on the editor and all the settings sync up.

so basically everything works for tweaking but you cant trust the editor to recall the correct patch with your project. so you just use it for visuals, either loading presets to the unit or using "retrieve" to update the editor to a patch that you loaded manually on the unit for further tweaking,

if you get the editor, just take some time and do all the things you expect it to do with test projects so you get the hang of how it works

it sucks because several cheap ass editors work perfectly and the sound tower has the best look so you think it would work great but you have to remember its little issues

you cant **** up though unless you dont actually write the patch on the hardware (trusting the editor to save) its hard to explain thats why i recommend your own tests
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
I'd like to pick up a used Tetra, but the interface is worthless and everyone seems to say that the sound tower program is also worthless. Is there something unique about the P08 program that makes it work better, or some people just have better luck using sound tower than others?
Yeah, the front panel on the Tetra is pretty useless. Not sure why DSI didn't implement a better UI - something similar to what Mutable did with the Shruthi would have worked so much better.

I actually bought a Tetra recently with the intention of replacing my Prophet '08 rack. I needed to make room for some other gear so this seemed liked a smart move at the time. But I don't know. Although the SoundTower editor works well for me, I miss the hands on control. I'm going to see if I can get my Behringer BCR2000 set up to control the Tetra (and my Evolver desktop). If that isn't happening, then I'll probably just sell the Tetra and find some place to put the Prophet rack.

Oh btw, the subs on the Tetra are kind of lame. They sound too sharp and brittle compared to just using a triangle and/or soft square wave from layer B for sub oscillators. So the dedicated sub oscillators are not really a reason to get the Tetra as far as I'm concerned.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yea like i said i just found some presets and tweaked a bit, I planned something greater but got kinda wasted lmao so sorry for being kinda lame. That bass was kinda weak lol but i will say that i have used the P08 for bass in completed tracks plenty of times to great success.

Here is that string patch, layers A and B

See I wish I would have had that soundtower plugin when I had my P08. It would have made it more enjoyable for sure.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Never seen anyone say it sounds like a plugin. It doesn't. It just sounds like a hard up top, brash and pretty static/unlively analog synth. You wouldn't match its sound with a plugin. But then personally I can think of other things to do than trying to match the sound of a P08.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For anyone still wondering what more can the feedback and suboscs of the Tetra give, there's an example. Good luck achieving the first sound on a P08...heh
Attached Files

Tetra dry 1.mp3 (834.5 KB, 602 views)

Tetra dry 2.mp3 (834.5 KB, 515 views)

Sounds good. Not sure about the VST thing. I always call it modern analog.
πŸ“ Reply