100% Pure Analog! (How?) - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100% Pure Analog! (How?)
Old 21st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione ➑️
I once saw a movie 'filmed' on digital. It looked like ****.
I owned a walkman. Thus, all analog is poop.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd ➑️
I'm in the middle of the USA, and it probably weighs above 80 pounds. It's not the weight so much as the SIZE it would need packed to survive any shipping. I think the Tascam MSR-16 sells for less than $200 now (I paid $6100!), and the rubber rollers have melted off anyway. Othewise it was awesome! Great memories - unneeded with digital now.
so sad I can't take a taxi to your place))) MSR-16 is a big bastard! but such a beautiful machine!)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This experiment of setting up a production environment with 100% analog signal path has proven not to be quite trivial - especially if one doesn't just want to settle to anything analog.

Just 3 minutes ago I decided I need Jomox Xbase 09 (or 999 if I was loaded with €), but obviously only kick & snare are analog in that particular piece.
Sh***T, I'm not sure I want to be limited to 808/606/xyz style cymbals, but I guess there is no good alternatives providing more 'acoustic' or metallic sounds?

Right...?

Btw: where the F*CK are them Rhythm Wolf sound examples?!?!?!?!?!!?
Akai, COME OOOON!!! It's getting ridiculous!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sh***T, I'm not sure I want to be limited to 808/606/xyz style cymbals, but I guess there is no good alternatives providing more 'acoustic' or metallic sounds?!
Have you thought of getting Vermona DRM1 MKIII? It would offer you more versatility, Pan(a)sonic style analog sounds and most importantly individual outputs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot ➑️
so eventually this girl said something like "well there's no difference in photography whether you shoot film or digital, but there is difference whether you shoot film or digital in cinema"... seriously???
Hasn't she heard of Lomo LC-A camera? Lomography versus digital cameras is exactly what analog is all about. Of course you could treat your digital photos with Photoshop to mimic the authentic colors and atmosphere of Lomography photos but in your heart you would still know it isn't real but just a phony copy of the original and you would be a fake artist!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee ➑️
Have you thought of getting Vermona DRM1 MKIII? It would offer you more versatility, Pan(a)sonic style analog sounds and most importantly individual outputs.
Very nice suggestion. Just watched some utube videos, and it definitely has potential.
I hoped it just had a bit more 'oombf' in it's kick.

This Jomox video made me jizz my pants:

But from sound design perspective the Vermona kick sounds very usable, because it's not as dominating.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could get Jomox MBase 11 to fill all your kick drum needs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You could get Jomox MBase 11 to fill all your kick drum needs.
Yeah, I was thinking that, but it's almost half the price of Xbase 09!
I really could use Xbase's sequencer...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking that, but it's almost half the price of Xbase 09!
I really could use Xbase's sequencer...
I guess you're right. I prefer to use units with built in sequencer myself. You could use Xbase as the basis of your drum rhythms and supplement that with some other unit.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hasn't she heard of Lomo LC-A camera? Lomography versus digital cameras is exactly what analog is all about. Of course you could treat your digital photos with Photoshop to mimic the authentic colors and atmosphere of Lomography photos but in your heart you would still know it isn't real but just a phony copy of the original and you would be a fake artist!
She did certainly... but that's what happened to a lot of younger people (and i'm 28) - a substitution of notions. In many things of course... photography, audio, video etc...
The whole idea of craft was being substituted for "instant gratification" as in - I bought myself a 5dMkII - I'm a serious photographer now! who the hell needs that stupid film you have to worry about and spend long hours in a lab learning developing and printing while in 2 clicks I can be the next (insert a famous photog name)?

That is the logic behind that. It's just sad to see a lot of younger people see analog as a anachronous methods.

I was talking to a fellow electronic musician (who is quite popular in moscow, playing his sets and etc) the other day and there was a Korg Poly-800 lying at that place.. I went on to chat about it having DCO's and how they convert voltage to numbers... The guy was in shock! Looks at me with eyes open and says "Wow bruv! You are a "dad" at this stuff!!!" (meaning how much i know of synths)... the next thing it was me who's in shock! "Well I'm only like a year into synths" I replied. Damn! The guy was making electronic music and did't know difference between VCO and DCO! It's not that I was like I wanted to hit him no.. he wasn't ignorant. But i just felt sad.

What's the morale???
Going analog way not only gives you a great understanding of the basic and complex stuff of your given craft.
It teaches you that it actually IS a craft!
And that you have to work hard and learn a lot to be the master craftsman.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
PM me if the project starts. I am capable of 100% analog sound source & signal path. I would use MIDI and would record the track to a simple cassette, as in the old days.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown ➑️
PM me if the project starts. I am capable of 100% analog sound source & signal path. I would use MIDI and would record the track to a simple cassette, as in the old days.
Yeah, I might've bitten a bit too huge chunk while thinking to be able to avoid MIDI.
I don't own any poly analogs, so I'm planning to bake a VST plugin for stacking 3+ monosynths as one, so I could play chords from master keyboard.

I'll PM you once/if I got this sorted out. (Listening your SC ATM!)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap backwards for mankind."

Have a steamy friday, guys!
Attached Thumbnails
100% Pure Analog! (How?)-p3210225.jpg  
bry
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, I might've bitten a bit too huge chunk while thinking to be able to avoid MIDI.
I don't own any poly analogs, so I'm planning to bake a VST plugin for stacking 3+ monosynths as one, so I could play chords from master keyboard.

I'll PM you once/if I got this sorted out. (Listening your SC ATM!)
I think the MIDI Pal can do that too if you wanna stay OTB...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry ➑️
I think the MIDI Pal can do that too if you wanna stay OTB...
Nice!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why is the MIDI really needed?....That's part of what's not pure 100% analog!
"Musical Instrument Digital Interface" Why can't you just play the parts to a multi-track tape machine in realtime and use your own sync and timing! Much more organic feel anyway. Real!

And if you simply used mics to capture the sound of your synth via amps, I don't see why that's any less of an analog process. It might be technically cheating depending on how the synth produces the sound at the analog outputs.
I suppose you should stay away from digital samplers??
the analog cop to make sure it's 100%...LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo ➑️
"Musical Instrument Digital Interface"
Well, midi doesn't affect the signal path, but of course it would be sweet to be able to use cv/gate only.

Quote:
And if you simply used mics to capture the sound of your synth via amps, I don't see why that's any less of an analog process. It might be technically cheating depending on how the synth produces the sound at the analog outputs.
I'm planning to use analogue synths only, that's the whole point.

Quote:
I suppose you should stay away from digital samplers??
That should go without saying.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'll lend you my analogue pitch shifter
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That looks dope! How does it work? Tape running in variable speed?
bry
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
"Musical Instrument Digital Interface" Why can't you just play the parts to a multi-track tape machine in realtime and use your own sync and timing!
MIDI doesn't touch the audio path, it can still be fully analog.

Analog multitracking can become quite expensive, especially if it's just for an experiment, therefore sequencing everything and recording direct to 2 track tape can be a good alternative.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
true midi is just a controller.... but to REALLY get analog music, one should PLAY the stuff live to track and NOT have that silly super perfect timed music that is so digital.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That looks dope! How does it work? Tape running in variable speed?
Wendy Carlos OnTheEltro
bry
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
true midi is just a controller.... but to REALLY get analog music, one should PLAY the stuff live to track and NOT have that silly super perfect timed music that is so digital.
That's a matter of taste and style really, but even then you could still capture every single performance to MIDI and not quantize it, then sequence all your gear with your own unedited performances, which would still make it much cheaper than getting an analog multi tracker!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree, and my point exactly. Not that you have to do that of course. It's all very esoteric to some degree. The concept is all part of your own concepts, "painting" techniques and artistry. In my mind all of the sequenced computer music lacks real human flow and artistry which could certainly be done differently.
It's sort of like having a robot paint brush machine and setting it up in front of a piece of canvas and pushing start. Sure you've programmed it to brush the paint onto the canvas a certain way....and it's repeatable, efficient, tight, editable and cool to watch happen, but it sort of loses the whole reality of art.

Creating something by hand usually has a more intrinsic human value attached to it...you lay down a track and then overdub in realtime with more tracks or you perform something live, much like you have to do in painting something.
You have to layer your work one brush stroke at a time and when it's done it's unique, it's not repeatable and not that efficient (as if that has anything to do with creating art). But doing something by hand and taking the time to put it all together with that individual effort you bring to the table as a human being can have much more real value than some robotic machine cranking out tunes in a sea of mediocrity.
We don't value pre-pressed manufactured artwork much, but we are certainly drawn to and find value in original unique works of art...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I agree, and my point exactly. Not that you have to do that of course. It's all very esoteric to some degree. The concept is all part of your own concepts, "painting" techniques and artistry. In my mind all of the sequenced computer music lacks real human flow and artistry which could certainly be done differently.
It's sort of like having a robot paint brush machine and setting it up in front of a piece of canvas and pushing start. Sure you've programmed it to brush the paint onto the canvas a certain way....and it's repeatable, efficient, tight, editable and cool to watch happen, but it sort of loses the whole reality of art.

Creating something by hand usually has a more intrinsic human value attached to it...you lay down a track and then overdub in realtime with more tracks or you perform something live, much like you have to do in painting something.
You have to layer your work one brush stroke at a time and when it's done it's unique, it's not repeatable and not that efficient (as if that has anything to do with creating art). But doing something by hand and taking the time to put it all together with that individual effort you bring to the table as a human being can have much more real value than some robotic machine cranking out tunes in a sea of mediocrity.
We don't value pre-pressed manufactured artwork much, but we are certainly drawn to and find value in original unique works of art...
very well said! I agree 100%!

Us humans are much better at creating art than them automated robotic machines!
Old 22nd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot ➑️
very well said! I agree 100%!

Us humans are much better at creating art than them automated robotic machines!
haha thanks...I certainly don't want to start anything here on what someone wants to use or should use. Because how you "paint" and what tools and style you use is also part of the art form.
But I thought something should be said about losing the human component in said art form. it needs to be said these days that prefabricated and automated techniques might not become of much value if it's all done from machines.
IMHO this is what's happening and potentially wrong with the whole music industry.
OTOH I actually like DAW's because to me it's a more affordable 2" multi-track tape deck that gives me a really clean recording and I treat strictly like that.
While I would love to have a 2" 24 channel tape deck and the time and resources to align and maintain it's recording quality, I can use my computer and a digital interface to do the same thing.
So to each there own.....my goal is to try and keep some humanity, feeling and originality in the art form, not manufacture and mass produce sound widgets...
Hehe....maybe I'll write a song about it now!...Automatic music by the Sound Widgets...
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
right on! No rules, do what you like.

but human verses robot midi... yes, TO ME, midi is no longer an amazing priceless human performance. if you press record play 5 dub tracks manually (NO MIDI) and end up doing something AMAZING in one of them, THAT part is RARE and priceless because now you only have that one performance that ONE time on a track.... you can try to play it like that again, it won't be perfectly the same, and now you have something rare and beautiful! Analogged music recorded
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can do it without midi easily. Use an E2...sequence a bunch of internal sounds..Use the separate outs to record each track to a separate tape track.. Then overdub stuff in real time (you remember real time?)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Practically all drum machine / 80's analog synth sequencers are digital.
I probably don't mind using them.

Of course it would be awesome to have enough analog seq tracks to work with, but one has to start with something!

Also about the 'multiple monos to single poly' plugin I was planning to bake; if I had the knowhow, I really would prefer doing that with real physical electric components.
But maybe the diy-spirit could cover software as well?

No it could not. Software, whether running inside computer or digital synthesizer, is just a sh*tty lifeless approximation of what it tries to reproduce.

Focus, man!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Maybe go for a musical pause????

these guys had no midi... but i think that synth solo at 0.35 is Moog Liberation! damn i gotta learn how to play that! No midi here for sure

although i read up about these guys they had their own built Moog-style synthe built when they started... a soviet classic actually! (the song is about stuntmen)
Zemlyane - Stuntmen

Have a nice weekend everybody!
πŸ“ Reply