Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??

Hi! I've made a video trying to recreate some Minitaur sounds by limiting the tweaking to Minitaur's specifications and I'd like to know what you guys think about it... is it capable of getting close? What's it missing??

There's a detailed description in the video and you'll hear and see me tweaking it for aproximately 7 minutes, after 2 minutes playing some sounds I've made.

Cheers!

Minitaur soul on Sub Phatty? - YouTube
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
300+ post views, no answer... :(

The purpose here was not to just post a video, but raise some discussion around this theme.
In the end, I wanted to get some feedback on how close they sound (I know there's a lot of guys here with the Minitaur) and to learn where things really start to get different between these two.

The thing is.... I'm kind of having GAS issues with the Minitaur or Taurus 3 and while not being able to get either, maybe some GS talking would be nice.

Thank you to those who watched it. Cheers!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Out of interest, what reference did you use for your Minitaur sounds?
I already own a Minitaur, and took advantage of sweetwaters 36 month interest free offer to order a sub 37 this week, so am interested when I receive it how much overlap there is, listening to demo as I type
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
burnsjed, what do you mean with reference? I used mainly Moog Music's demonstrations of the Minitaur. Some of the presets I've made are based on Minitaur's presets (.pdf file), but are tweaked to fit the sound I like.

Nice to know about the Sub 37. I'm currently not eager to get one. The Sub Phatty is good enough for me, and the Little Phatty sounds better than both. Anyway, congratulations on your new instrument!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was wondering if you had actually tried out the Minitaur for yourself?
It is one thing listening to compressed demo's on the internet and another hearing it in the flesh, especially to get the tonal quality of the bass.
I think another question would be, what kind of bass duties would you be looking for yourself if you owned one?
If you haven't tried it for yourself, I would definitely recommend trying it.
And of course what sounds better is always going to subjective.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
sounds fantastic. I sold my Minitaur a while ago (hated the hidden menus and flakiness of the firmware) and expect to get a Sub37 once the bugs squashed
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I am not even using the firmware at the moment, I know Amos is finishing work on a new one, which may or may not be based on the subs firmware?
I do love the sound of the thing mind.
Old 14th March 2014
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Sub and a Minitaur. You can approximate specific sounds and phrases but the filter, envelopes and oscillator gain is not the same so they respond differently to input. Typically if I am want a big round bass I'll start with the Minitaur, if I am looking for something more complex or aggressive I'll use the Sub.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So there is definitely room in your rig for both the sub & Minitaur, which is good to hear.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
burnsjed
I like the bass sounds I've made in this demo. I use a lot of different ones too, that the Minitaur woudn't be able to achieve (such as second oscillator an octave and a half above - lovely sound), but what I hear from Minitaur is really good. This is a test I haven't made before, and I liked very much what I've heard.

ModularOverkill
In the end, I've bought the Sub instead of the Minitaur in the first place because I was afraid of the bugs. BUT, and that's a big but, I really like what I hear and the simplicity and small print of the Minitaur. I'll probably get one someday, but I'll wait for other news from Moog Music (maybe a Taurus 4).

SRT
That was my guess... I really think they sound alike, but at the same time, when I hear a Minitaur sound I can feel that there's something else happening on the lower frequencies. Having both, I bet that you get the difference between them!

Thank you all for your answers!!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@OP: you actually made a demo of the sub phatty sound i wish others had made, the best on so far in terms of bass demo. the first one! thanks a lot. it is what i hoped this synth would sound like
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➡️
burnsjed
I like the bass sounds I've made in this demo. I use a lot of different ones too, that the Minitaur woudn't be able to achieve (such as second oscillator an octave and a half above - lovely sound), but what I hear from Minitaur is really good. This is a test I haven't made before, and I liked very much what I've heard.

ModularOverkill
In the end, I've bought the Sub instead of the Minitaur in the first place because I was afraid of the bugs. BUT, and that's a big but, I really like what I hear and the simplicity and small print of the Minitaur. I'll probably get one someday, but I'll wait for other news from Moog Music (maybe a Taurus 4).

SRT
That was my guess... I really think they sound alike, but at the same time, when I hear a Minitaur sound I can feel that there's something else happening on the lower frequencies. Having both, I bet that you get the difference between them!

Thank you all for your answers!!
BTW, you did a good job of approximating the Minitaur sound.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
TonyFM
Thanks man! I'm glad you like it. Apart from it's quality control issues, I really think that the Sub Phatty is a nice instrument.

SRT
Thanks mate... it was kind of hard to find the correct volume spot, but in the end I think they sounded pretty close.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I enjoyed the demo's too, were some very nice sounds.
The Minitaur does excel in bass, but problem is, that's about it! The reason why I was asking was, if your sub phatty is covering your bass needs, or is now covering them after your experiment, there really isn't much point in just adding more gear for the sake of it.
I know this is gearslutz, but at the end of the day, it can be more productive to know and use a few pieces extremely well, then to have plenty more equipment, but never really explore them to the full.
I think I am definitely going to let a couple of things go when the sub 37 arrives, stuff I am just not using as much as I should be.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Burnsjed
Thank you for your time mate. I'm actually with the same thing on my mind... if the Sub Phatty is capable of delivering some nice basses, almost like the Minitaur, even if not exactly the same, I'll just keep it and that's it.

As for the Sub 37, I loved the extras, but I didn't enjoy the size of it. I already have the Little Phatty and trading my Sub for something with the same size as the LP doesn't make any sense. I the end, I think I already have too much stuff and pretty much no time to use it all... I'm a doctor and time isn't something I have a lot to spend.

Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2014
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just installed the new Minitaur editor and had a little time on my hands.

So I setup a simple single oscillator square wave patch, dialed in something similar on the Sub and recored a small passage. Aside from a bit of Valhalla ambiance the signal is unprocessed. To my ears the Minitaur sounds sweeter, punchier and more organic while the Sub feels precise and rigid. I personally prefer the sound of the Minitaur. Unfortunately the Mp3s don't show this as well as the original waves…but you can still hear a difference.

I didn't spend too much time trying to match the patches but you can see that the patch on the Sub ended up with a very different parameter configuration then the Minitaur. Regardless of any shared architecture the oscillators, filters and envelopes of the two instruments respond differently to parameter configuration and input. I included screenshots of the patch editors for illustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-22-4.49.08-pm.png   Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-22-4.49.14-pm.jpg  
Attached Files

Minitaur.mp3 (1.36 MB, 7897 views)

SubPhatty.mp3 (1.36 MB, 7188 views)

Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
^what do you mean by the new editor? Did a new version just get released? I couldn't find a link on their website :/
Old 23rd March 2014
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
3.0 is released, the one you see in the graphic I attached, although I am not sure if its OSX only for the moment. I think the windows version had a USB bug they were working on.

The new editor has a lot of features that were requested ever since Rev 2.0 as you can probably see from the screenshot. You will need a firmware update as well. PM Amos on the Moog forums or look under the Taurus/Minitaur sub forum for the latest version thread.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome. Thanks for that. V2 was really flakey for me on OSX....
Old 23rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT ➡️
I just installed the new Minitaur editor and had a little time on my hands.

So I setup a simple single oscillator square wave patch, dialed in something similar on the Sub and recored a small passage. Aside from a bit of Valhalla ambiance the signal is unprocessed. To my ears the Minitaur sounds sweeter, punchier and more organic while the Sub feels precise and rigid. I personally prefer the sound of the Minitaur. Unfortunately the Mp3s don't show this as well as the original waves…but you can still hear a difference.

I didn't spend too much time trying to match the patches but you can see that the patch on the Sub ended up with a very different parameter configuration then the Minitaur. Regardless of any shared architecture the oscillators, filters and envelopes of the two instruments respond differently to parameter configuration and input. I included screenshots of the patch editors for illustration.
Interesting comparison. I prefer the Minitaur there, and agree it sounds sweeter and more punchy.

I sold my Minitaur and bought a Sub Phatty about 9 months ago, but i've not missed it until hearing this!

I notice your SubP demo has a significant noise floor though compared with the Miniatur demo, which may be clouding things a little.

I've always considered buying a Minitaur again once the VST editor came out, so this may push me more to do it. (I hated using the Minitaur standalone editor, but love the SubP VST editor)

What are the features in v3.0?
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➡️
Interesting comparison. I prefer the Minitaur there, and agree it sounds sweeter and more punchy.

I sold my Minitaur and bought a Sub Phatty about 9 months ago, but i've not missed it until hearing this!

I notice your SubP demo has a significant noise floor though compared with the Miniatur demo, which may be clouding things a little.

I've always considered buying a Minitaur again once the VST editor came out, so this may push me more to do it. (I hated using the Minitaur standalone editor, but love the SubP VST editor)

What are the features in v3.0?
Yeah SP one is a bit noisy. To keep the SP sounding as smooth as possible I kept oscillator volume down and multi drive off so I had to boost gain in Ableton to maintain similar volume..therefore the higher noise floor. The MP3s don't do the comparison justice, the difference is much more apparent on the wave files.

I just bought a Voyager RME so maybe i'll throw that into the comparison once it arrives and I get it setup.

Took some screens of the two versions, think the images speak for themselves. First 3 are the old editor, last 2 new one. New editor supports AAX 64 bit too, something Id like to see for the SP editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-23-3.51.20-am.png   Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-23-3.51.41-am.png   Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-23-3.51.56-am.png   Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-23-3.54.14-am.png   Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-23-3.54.00-am.png  

Old 23rd March 2014
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Forgot the preset manager for 3.0.
Attached Thumbnails
Minitaur sounds with Sub Phatty??-screen-shot-2014-03-23-4.03.33-am.png  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah SP one is a bit noisy. To keep the SP sounding as smooth as possible I kept oscillator volume down and multi drive off so I had to boost gain in Ableton to maintain similar volume..therefore the higher noise floor. The MP3s don't do the comparison justice, the difference is much more apparent on the wave files.
I see. I can already hear quite a difference with those MP3s though, as the Minitaur definitely sounds better in your comparison demo.

Quote:
I just bought a Voyager RME so maybe i'll throw that into the comparison once it arrives and I get it setup.
That would be very interesting to hear.

Quote:
Took some screens of the two versions, think the images speak for themselves. First 3 are the old editor, last 2 new one. New editor supports AAX 64 bit too, something Id like to see for the SP editor.
Cool. Looks really good.
Old 20th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That must be the best comparison I've heard. Thank you! I'm not sure I agree with everyone else, that the Minitaur sounds better. At first I thought so, possibly due to the greater punch. However, after several listens, I think the Sub Phatty is more detailed, more musical, where the Minitaur seems to get muddy in parts.
📝 Reply